Solo content has become too hard for me.

@Diva.4706 said:It's kind of funny. Hardly anyone actually understands. It isn't my build, it's that I have a hard time moving/dodging & using abilities at the same time. It's just too much. When I have literally a split second to react and move out of multiple red rings. I don't have the skill set. Action combat is my nemesis.

But changing your build can help with that by making it so you don't need to move as much.

For example you mentioned in your first post in this topic that you're having trouble with knockdowns and knockbacks. One possible solution to that is to use Stability. It's a boon so you don't need to do anything other than activate it, and if you get it from a trait then you don't even need to do that. Then you don't need to be able to avoid the attacks while knock you down/back because they won't affect you. Similarly if you find you're losing health too quickly or getting downed too often using equipment with Toughness (armour) or Vitality (health) might help because then you can take more damage, so again you don't need to dodge or move away from every hit.

On the offensive side you could use skills which cause damaging conditions. That way if you need to stop attacking to move your target will still be taking damage.

But if you can't change the way you play and don't want to change your build there really isn't anything for us to say other than the Gauntlet is not for you and you should stick to stuff you enjoy and can complete.

@Diva.4706 said:It's kind of funny. Hardly anyone actually understands. It isn't my build, it's that I have a hard time moving/dodging & using abilities at the same time. It's just too much. When I have literally a split second to react and move out of multiple red rings. I don't have the skill set. Action combat is my nemesis.

I mean, that is unfortunate, but wasn't that the heart & soul of GW2 from the very start, the thing that should set it apart from other MMORPG? Sure, it sucks you cannot enjoy it to the fullest, but you got into a genre that is apparently not tailored to your expectations. Aren't there any traditional MMORPGs around still? No offense, but eg. I absolutely suck at racing games, I would never dream of getting into one of these and then expect them to be changed or evolve according to my prefered genre.

@"KeoLegend.5132" said:You need to LEARN TO PLAYCreate an account, level from lv 1 to 80, know about the BOONS, specialy Stability... Learn to DODGE, learn to predict, learn, learn, learn.The amount of ppl who thinks the game is becoming easier and easier is way bigger than ppl like you that complain the game is getting harder... it isn't.

You came from another MMOs, right, those MMOs was just simply Piano play. Welcome to GW2. This one requires reflexes, precision skills and dodging

You forgot the "and use the most cheesy profession to faceroll" part.I think it's terrible that you talk like that to the OP. That's an awful and condescending way that even me Asura freak shocks.

To OP:Just pick what you think is fun. I do not do the slightest of the bulldung that is around in this game and that's what I like about it. Enjoy it your way.I can understand a lot what you say. Not that I've ran into something I should get trough and could not alone (100% solo here, and KeoLegend is a reason why is that) but there were fights where I gave up any reasonable tactics or something and "predict" and "learn, learn, learn". In one fight, forgot which one, there was some funky thing spinning around in a small arena boss room (Looked like a sewage treatment plant's sieve) and I could not dodge as often as it appeared, have been downed like three billion times. I cheesed my way trough it.

HoT is totally on hold and I can't complete it too. Heck, I skipped a lot of the story because of that. I also had to Skipp Orr back then. All the story does not make sense to me because of that. Right now I can't find my way to Rata Novus and so I am in the desert. Picking stuff that is fun is easy. But I still know how it feels. The caves full of Mordrem that respawn so fast or stop you from recovering so that you have to die eventually are a terrible game design and has nothing to do with difficulty in sense of challenge, but rather arbitrary quirks and bugs (e.g. I can hit a boss as kneeled Deadeye but it counts as being too far away - the boss plattform only matters. Why do I have a ranged profession in the first place? Or "No valid path to target. Or aggro getting stuck, preventing me from recovering health, super small ledges in HoT that prevent Daredevil and Thief being played properly due to our acrobatic playstyle launching us off cliffs etc. etc.).

But as said, just calm down and do the things you enjoy. I skip probably 90% of the game and it's actually a waste of harddisk space, but when I do play, I have a blast! :-)

Excelsior.

As I said before, that's really unfortunate. But what you don't seem to understand is that just because you are bad at playing the game, it shouldn't be made easier. I'm terrible at MOBA style games, but do I request them to be made easier? No, because, unlike you, I understand that I am just one single person who happens to be bad at playing MOBA games, while there are many other players who very much enjoy them and are good at them. You are not the measure of all things.

I'd just write the event off as not to your style.

Not every event will and can cater to everyone of every skill level. Also don't feel bad about this please, different people have different skill sets and honestly, many young gamers have no understanding that with age come also other challenges (not saying you are old, just saying that in general older gamers run into issues on action games too).

My recommendation:

• skip the event, it's only good for achievement points or as alternative gold grind anyway, and there is enough other types of grinds available too
  • see it as a challenge to improve your build or try a different class

There is a multitude of very durable and/or easy builds that work in GW2 which are not considered meta but which can deal with almost all non raid (or challenge mode fractal) type of content. See if you can find one of those for a class you enjoy.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:I am sure the gauntlet is very easy for thieves, mesmers and rangers.

I'm sure it's the class you're playing that's causing the issue...

To be fair, its far easier on some classes than others.Didnt have any issues with any of the fights except for Turia on my ranger, including Liadra.Ele on the other hand for example, because of the build i run with little sustain i stopped using cause i didnt want to change my build.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:I am sure the gauntlet is very easy for thieves, mesmers and rangers.

I'm sure it's the class you're playing that's causing the issue...

To be fair, its far easier on some classes than others.Didnt have any issues with any of the fights except for Turia on my ranger, including Liadra.Ele on the other hand for example, because of the build i run with little sustain i stopped using cause i didnt want to change my build.

Well, okay. I'm probably not going to bring my healer druid build to a DPS race either. But the class isn't the issue!

@"Diva.4706" said:It isn't my build, it's that I have a hard time moving/dodging & using abilities at the same time. It's just too much. When I have literally a split second to react and move out of multiple red rings. I don't have the skill set. Action combat is my nemesis.

I had a lot of similar problems during the first year or so I played GW2. I was way too slow to react to most threats, and practice made me better but it still wasn't anywhere near good enough. Then I seriously started reevaluating my keybinds with the help of some guides:

https://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/https://taugrim.com/2012/06/27/guide-to-guild-wars-2-keybinds/https://whyigame.wordpress.com/the-beginners-guide-to-movement-in-combat-guild-wars-2/

It took me a while to relearn how to play after changing all my keybinds, but I improved a lot as a result (enough to complete everything but Liadri in the last Queen's Gauntlet, and this year I've beaten both Liadri and Turai). My reaction speed is still pretty poor, but not having to move as much to hit the right keys goes a long way towards making up for it.

I'd suggest copying a PvP build for solo content. Since pvp build usually is balanced for damage and surviving direct attacks, conditions, and CC. Maybe that will help you with queens gauntlet and other solo content. I use my pvp build in open world usually. I only use my pure dps build in raids/fractals, organized groups.

@KrHome.1920 said:Liadri and Turai have mechnaics you have to adapt to. Everything else can be facerolled with any standard open world build (see metabattle!) and some well timed dodges.

The AP you gain for the encounters are a good indicator for their difficulty. You gain a lot of AP for killing Liadri. A lot of players will never kill her.

Took me about 15 tries but I finally did kill Liadri. On a celestial/viper druid. Not the most optimal build.. :lol: Enjoyed every moment of it. Once you learn the steps, and time your dodges right, it becomes more a coordinated dance maneuver rather than a struggle.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Biff.5312 said:The thing is, if you are a casual player, you shouldn't expect to be able to beat all the content. Why not stick to casual play? There's tons of content in this game that isn't difficult.

True enough, however, there appears to be a trend toward more difficult scenarios in the personal story which I believe ought to be something that can be done solo. Even us casuals should have a fair shot at progressing through the story line without raid-like mechanics. I am not saying story = raid .... rather, to some it is beginning to feel that way.

Absolutely, optional content should have a variety of difficulty as the player base is so diverse but the story content shouldn't. At least, not as current trends appear to be.

I would agree with that. I personally haven't had an issue with this but maybe they could offer a second 'stream' for casual players.

• 2 years later...

@Banic.5082 said:Liadri is a complete and utter waste of time. I spent hours on my ranger trying to get it. Changing my build shouldn't even have to be a consideration when it isn't an issue anywhere else.

These days, I do Liadri in my sleep. Four year old content. Probably more.

Consider setting burdensome opinions aside and changing your build anyway. The fight is meant to be approached differently and to make people think about their strategies. You have one night left, or else you'll have to wait for next year, and it's a juicy chunk of AP for an achievement as well!

Or don't if you still don't feel it's worth it.

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:

@Banic.5082 said:Liadri is a complete and utter waste of time. I spent hours on my ranger trying to get it. Changing my build shouldn't even have to be a consideration when it isn't an issue anywhere else.

Consider setting burdensome opinions aside and changing your build anyway. The fight is meant to be approached differently and to make people think about their strategies. You have one night left, or else you'll have to wait for next year, and it's a juicy chunk of AP for an achievement as well!

Great that you can do it in your sleep, I have it completed after changing my build. But the OP remains, for the amount of time it took it isn't worth it. I am simply providing another opinion.

It's not too hard for me but some of the boss fights in the story instances are very tedious imo. Some of them just have a ton of health and/or defence, or repetitive invulnerable stages where you must do the same thing as before repeatedly to make them vulnerable to damage again. I find these mechanics boring and unimaginative, just to make the boss fights last longer.

@Algreg.3629 said:

I mean, that is unfortunate, but wasn't that the heart & soul of GW2 from the very start, the thing that should set it apart from other MMORPG? Sure, it sucks you cannot enjoy it to the fullest, but you got into a genre that is apparently not tailored to your expectations. Aren't there any traditional MMORPGs around still? No offense, but eg. I absolutely suck at racing games, I would never dream of getting into one of these and then expect them to be changed or evolve according to my prefered genre.

You make it sound like guild wars 2 was advertised as a game with no challenge that any player can complete any content? This was never the case.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Alternatively, if you're convinced that it's you & not your build, why are you so convinced this is a change of direction for the game? The tier 1-3 encounters are virtually unchanged from 4 years ago, and yet we have new skills, gear, & specializations to fight them. Maybe it's just that there's always been parts of GW2 that don't appeal to you.

I think OP actually confirmed this point quite directly:

@Diva.4706 said:Action combat is my nemesis.

This game is very specifically billed as a unique hybrid of tab-target and action combat by every reviewer I've seen. If action combat truly is your nemeis, it was only a matter of time until you had to walk away from GW2.

Of course, you also seem to be making the point that it's not so much action combat itself, but that this game's version of action combat has evolved. Then there are two things to note: (1) action combat isn't really your problem, just the particular difficulty of it in this game, and (2) as many others have noted, I would argue that combat hasn't really been tuned up to be more difficult than it was in the past.

EDIT: lol I had no idea this thread was so old until someone brought it up. I hope OP either found a way to continue enjoying GW2, or found peace elsewhere.

@Diva.4706 said:Title says it. I am not saying the game is too hard for everyone, just that most solo encounters are really hard and I usually fail, (the later queen pavilion solo fights being completely impossible). The constant knock downs and knock backs are very aggravating, making it hard to even play my character. I am more casual and struggle with action combat, coming from more old school type MMOs. So the game has become less fun for me, and I feel the game is moving away from what it once was, and targeted more for the younger audience.

I agree op, the game has kinda gone off the rails crowd control is off the charts and i have fears the Steam crowd are not going to enjoy this either..The games modern mechanics are frustrating and tedious and anyone with a higher than 90 ping will have a really tough time in this game.. I'm currently sitting on 400 ping as an Australian and dodging bosses is almost impossible, even at a standard 250 its really hit and miss. Living story and expansions are a huge step up from Tyria base content and i see customers getting killed daily, trying to solo content in them.. I fear without damage reductions in these contents the steam customers will slowly move on to other games.EditI see its an old thread but things are just as bad now as when the op wrote this.

@Banic.5082 said:

Great that you can do it in your sleep, I have it completed after changing my build. But the OP remains, for the amount of time it took it isn't worth it. I am simply providing another opinion.

Congrats on getting it done! Knew you could do it.

Though I thought you were just stating things, not responding to the OP. That post is two years old...