Is the Warclaw just a reskinned Griffon?

@HisElysium.9721 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:So what? Where's the issue? Saving work to remodel the exact same thing so what gives

The issue is its marketed as it being a unique mount when its not and then releasing a 2000 recolor skin pack a week later.

That makes no sense ... it is a mount with it's own skins. I don't really see what the issue is here. It's certainly unique in WvW and BTW ... you didn't pay for it, it was free, so complaining they recycled some things to deliver it to us is pretty petty.

I really don't see what being 'unique' has to do with buying a skin. We get armor skins, weapon skins, outfits etc ... all the time. Buying skins is about the look. It's completely irrelevant if it's for something 'unique'. I have dozens of skins for a sword ... is Anet being dishonest when they make more and I like them and get them? Not at all and this is the same thing.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:So what? Where's the issue? Saving work to remodel the exact same thing so what gives

The issue is its marketed as it being a unique mount when its not and then releasing a 2000 recolor skin pack a week later.

That makes no sense ... it is a mount with it's own skins. I don't really see what the issue is here. It's certainly unique in WvW and BTW ... you didn't pay for it, it was free, so complaining they recycled some things to deliver it to us is pretty petty.

I really don't see what being 'unique' has to do with buying a skin. We get armor skins, weapon skins, outfits etc ... all the time. Buying skins is about the look. It's completely irrelevant if it's for something 'unique'. I have dozens of skins for a sword ... is Anet being dishonest when they make more and I like them and get them? Not at all and this is the same thing.

A content being "free" (even though we still need PoF to be able to get it, but whatever...) shouldn't be an excuse for poor quality. The game exists as a whole and its income should be spent depending on how mutch the thing you spend it on will interest and be used by the players (and thus how mutch it will keep the players into the game, spending their money in the gemstore and others new contents), not depending on wether it's free or not.

As for its supposed uniqueness in WvW, you miss the point entirely. The issue here is that the model (or rig, whatever) wasn't originally created to fit the Warclaw. Thus, even with all the good will in the world to polish it, it will always be unperfect (I consider the others mounts to be near-perfect).

Now for your sword example, your comparison is bad. You are comparing the griffon reskin into warclaw as a sword reskin for... a sword. A better comparison would be having a sword, and then reskining to fit a dagger. Sure it kind of does the work, but chances are that the size, shape, thickness of the blade... Will feel odd because they all will be scaled down (I kind of have that feeling with Scion's Claw, I wonder if it wasn't originally supposed to be a Greatsword?).And in this example it would still not be mutch of a problem, because well, it's just a sword. It doesn't have animations, and we can still make the blade thicker to suit a dagger. But we can't do such things to hide the warclaw's model's origins. Mounts are so complex that any asset re-use becomes absolutely obvious in mere minutes.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:So what? Where's the issue? Saving work to remodel the exact same thing so what gives

A content being "free" (even though we still need PoF to be able to get it, but whatever...) shouldn't be an excuse for poor quality.

It's not poor quality. The skins look as good as any other. Don't confuse low quality for reduced effort. If no one noticed warclaw had the same frame as Griffon, no one would come here and complain about the quality of the skin.

Why do panthers resemble lions, why do lions resemble tigers, why do tigers resemble.. come on nature, these are just re-skinned house cats! Is the Warclaw the Griffon? Is the Griffon the Warclaw? No? Then are they not separate mounts? How often are you upset about how similar feline creatures are in nature? Or how often do you complain about dogs just being re-skinned canines? Griffins are legendary mythical creatures typically depicted with the body of a lion, with wings and the head of an eagle. It makes sense for them to move like a feline war mount, doesn't it? A house cat pretty much moves the same way a lion does. A lion moves the same way a panther does. Why is it so bad that the Warclaw shares the rig and some animations with the Griffon? To me it only makes sense. The animations feels right. If it made it easier to develop, is that a bad thing? It's not like the mount feels terrible to use. At least to me. On the contrary, it feels really nice to use it within World vs. World.

@Ulyssean.1709 said:

@"gateless gate.8406" said:I'm surprised yet unsurprised at the apologists in this thread. What if the jackal, griffon, and raptor all had the same run animations? That would make them much less interesting, and would certainly not impart the sense of quality that those mounts currently do. Animations are extremely important in infusing a creature/character with its unique personality. Additionally, re-using animations for something as "in your face" as a mount (ie, a creature you're going to be staring at for hours) indicates corner cutting/a lack of investment from the studio. And we haven't even touched on the poorly "clipped" animation loop in the warclaw's run (there's a very obvious and jarring cut or jump in its run cycle).

This problem exists on a sliding scale. The more corners that are cut when developing content, the cheaper the game begins to feel. No, this specific corner cutting on the warclaw will not be the death of GW2,
obviously
, but over time, all the little ways that the studio cut corners begin to add up. There is no reason to defend this practice.

It's good to see someone else that has standards. It's not a Norn or a Skelk or a Reef Drake, it's a mount. It should have it's own persona at the very least and not just be a wingless griffon."Just reskin the griffon we are too busy making mobile games that are about to get canned.""hi-5s all round those suckers will love it and then pay for extra dye channels."

This is especially funny when you consider that this practice isn't unusual in MMOs, or any other games, for that matter. It's absolutely terrible that two feline mounts share a feline skeletal system, isn't it? You want to know what's even worse? How dare actual felines, regardless of size, actually share similar skeletal structures. It's almost like art is imitating life, for some reason. I won't have the warclaw, because a mount isn't enough incentive to get me into WvW to have to deal with some of the people in the mode, you know, like people that call others suckers for getting the mount, and maybe trying to customize it a bit? Did you get the mount? How many dye channels have you purchased, so far?

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@"gateless gate.8406" said:I'm surprised yet unsurprised at the apologists in this thread. What if the jackal, griffon, and raptor all had the same run animations? That would make them much less interesting, and would certainly not impart the sense of quality that those mounts currently do. Animations are extremely important in infusing a creature/character with its unique personality. Additionally, re-using animations for something as "in your face" as a mount (ie, a creature you're going to be staring at for hours) indicates corner cutting/a lack of investment from the studio. And we haven't even touched on the poorly "clipped" animation loop in the warclaw's run (there's a very obvious and jarring cut or jump in its run cycle).

This problem exists on a sliding scale. The more corners that are cut when developing content, the cheaper the game begins to feel. No, this specific corner cutting on the warclaw will not be the death of GW2,
obviously
, but over time, all the little ways that the studio cut corners begin to add up. There is no reason to defend this practice.

It's good to see someone else that has standards. It's not a Norn or a Skelk or a Reef Drake, it's a mount. It should have it's own persona at the very least and not just be a wingless griffon."Just reskin the griffon we are too busy making mobile games that are about to get canned.""hi-5s all round those suckers will love it and then pay for extra dye channels."

This is especially funny when you consider that this practice isn't unusual in MMOs, or any other games, for that matter. It's absolutely terrible that two feline mounts share a feline skeletal system, isn't it? You want to know what's even worse? How dare actual felines, regardless of size, actually share similar skeletal structures. It's almost like art is imitating life, for some reason. I won't have the warclaw, because a mount isn't enough incentive to get me into WvW to have to deal with some of the people in the mode, you know, like people that call others suckers for getting the mount, and maybe trying to customize it a bit? Did you get the mount? How many dye channels have you purchased, so far?

Exept it's not a feline, it's a griffon. Wings were taken in account (with a very "light foot" animation), and even though the body kind-of does the work, it is still too large and the head and tail don't do the work. To take your (terrible) example, real-life felines share similar bone structures, but there are still noticable differences in their proportions and movements. A tiger is mutch more bulky than a panther.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

obviously

Exept it's not a feline, it's a griffon. Wings were taken in account (with a very "light foot" animation), and even though the body kind-of does the work, it is still too large and the head and tail don't do the work. To take your (terrible) example, real-life felines share similar bone structures, but there are still noticable differences in their proportions and movements. A tiger is mutch more bulky than a panther.

Hmm, actual giant feline, vs a feline with a bird's head, but not an actual feline...

People need to remember that the Warclaw is WvW content and a WvW update. Thus, we should be the mount even moves at all! (Mind you, we still can't use chairs :( ) The fact it's as dynamic as it is is frankly a bit of a miracle for WvW content! They likely didn't spend nearly the same amount of time on it as they did something like the griffon or any other PvE major update.

• 1 year later...