Make A Raid Matchmaking System For Solo Players

@Xentera.4560 said:I can see the OP does not have much experience in forming groups for raids.Raid parties in GW2 have to have certain roles filled. It is sad coming from a company who stated in the past “no trinity”. Instead we ended up with this disastrous mix of tank/heals/Alac/quickness/BS. That often has to be fine tuned with every boss encounter.I don’t think it is a problem with the raid community, or even the general player population. It is a failure of design of both the raid content that was designed in a way that any member failing a weird mechanic can result in a party wipe and group disbanding; and a failure of the game design itself that removed the Tried and True trinity, only to go back and give us a much worse system.

A trinity has classes designed around roles gw 2 every class can fill many roles, these roles are player made not by design mostly for it makes it easier, even before raids we used roles just less in depth or team based raids are based on working as a group something dungeons rarely needed

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of the harder Strike bosses are a pretty good indication on why this isn't a good idea. There are only so many failed runs you can take, runs where you lack absolutely everything needed to make things work, until you stop bothering. Everyone who has tried or even heard about public Boneskinner runs wouldn't touch such a matchmaking system with a ten-foot pole. Which means you'd mostly run into players who do not know any better (yet) and those who'd have no chance ever getting into even a training group, and for good reasons.

@"SeikeNz.3526" said:it's too much to ask? everyone should enjoy raids / end game content.

not everyone want to join a guild or have 10 friends to raid.

also will kill the "raid sellers" on the lobby.kill the show proof players

random raids - MATCHMAKINGspecific raids - MATCHMAKING

if someone leaves just re-queue his slot to replace him

guild players don't need to use it.

Honestly their endgame encounters like strikes and raids, don't jive well even with the current LFG. It's really hard to get only one person of a given role to join at a particular time. This is the product of anet refusing to actually embrace or teach any roles yet still make crazy encounters that require particular ones: They refuse to acknowledge in their LFG tool that we need to request for a particular number of people for a given role to intelligently form a group.

However, I don't think I support a queue at all. If you're looking for a group of raiders, I recommend NA raid academy or a similar discord group for your region. Snow Crows will tell you. You can organize your own raid within the community and request a tutor. I'm afraid adding queues to end game raid content will erode the community that currently exists around guilds. Especially as guilds are all but irrelevant nowadays. That random banter in my gchat is the reason why I play this game over WoW. Wow's in-game community is all but dead. There are plenty of players sure, but they're all discord monkeys and/or don't talk to anyone. We'll lose that friendliness factor.

All that being said, I don't think all raids are even puggable. Like the Dhuum soul collection phase is a skill that players must learn in and of itself, and training runs for it are rare. You're basically rolling the dice every time you make a group hoping you get someone who knows how to do it or learn it very quickly. This is why I bought a W5 run outright with Mystic Coins yesterday for coalescence. I raid occaisionally, can't commit to a static, I'm a capable raider, but you're basically playing slot machines with people with how some of these encounters are built.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

All that being said, I don't think all raids are even puggable. Like the Dhuum soul collection phase is a skill that players must learn in and of itself, and training runs for it are rare. You're basically rolling the dice every time you make a group hoping you get someone who knows how to do it or learn it very quickly. This is why I bought a W5 run outright with Mystic Coins yesterday for coalescence. I raid occaisionally, can't commit to a static, I'm a capable raider, but you're basically playing slot machines with people with how some of these encounters are built.

Is it really that bad in NA that pugs cant even do dhuum greens? EU has no issue with this. Strange how one server is so different in pug raiding capabilities.

@zombyturtle.5980 said:

Is it really that bad in NA that pugs cant even do dhuum greens? EU has no issue with this. Strange how one server is so different in pug raiding capabilities.

I don't know. All I know is the few dhuum adverts I've seen in NA raid academy hadn't seemed to go that well. My personal adverts for forming groups for W5 haven't gone super well either. My last pug (ish) with one of my guilds I don't normally run with was the raid leader deciding they were done as soon as we hit Dhuum. Overall it just looks like groups don't form that often and my experience with the same mechanic in statues doesn't make me feel that great about the success in PuGs. No one trains it and it's a wonky mechanic that is rarely seen. Maybe if I tried harder? Just didn't seem worth it after all that. Maybe you guys have more free time in EU lol.

To be honest, perhaps it wouldn't be that bad if we could save raid progress between weeks (other than camping the instance at reset, which my understanding you still lose as soon as you log out.) But W5 is a jerk to get through, it takes hours in a non-experienced group, so you basically have to start over every week you want to TRY on top of all these issues.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

I don't know. All I know is the few dhuum adverts I've seen in NA raid academy hadn't seemed to go that well. My personal adverts for forming groups for W5 haven't gone super well either. My last pug (ish) with one of my guilds I don't normally run with was the raid leader deciding they were done as soon as we hit Dhuum. Overall it just looks like groups don't form that often and my experience with the same mechanic in statues doesn't make me feel that great about the success in PuGs. No one trains it and it's a wonky mechanic that is rarely seen. Maybe if I tried harder? Just didn't seem worth it after all that. Maybe you guys have more free time in EU lol.

To be honest, perhaps it wouldn't be that bad if we could save raid progress between weeks (other than camping the instance at reset, which my understanding you still lose as soon as you log out.) But W5 is a jerk to get through, it takes hours in a non-experienced group, so you basically have to start over every week you want to TRY on top of all these issues.

You can solo train it with a thief or scrapper btw.

one example build.

In EU the off chrono, bs and kiter take greens in pugs. If you join as that class on a dhuum clear you are expected to know how to do greens. Ive never met a player unable to do them in groups over 10kp.

• 2 weeks later...

@SeikeNz.3526 said:

@skarpak.8594 said:you can see how good such a random lfg finder would work in raids, when you queue random for boneskimmer.just go ahead and try it. after you have done that 10 times come back and tell us how good it was. then proceed to delete your thread...this will never work in gw2 without reducing the difficulty level to a random level 1 mob in starter area.

sure you can make your own group if you want something more coordinate, but it's better with random players trying than never do it because you don't have a group, this is for solo players

No man, he is right.. Strikes are far easier than raids and there's a matchmaking system for you to experience. Try some harder strike bosses with that.. I did that, just out of curiosity, and even as a multiclass who can fill any needed role I am confident saying that this would never work in raids unless all ppl are multiclass. It's kinda like communism. It just simply cannot work, since it doesn't even work in Strikes.

• 2 months later...