So what's the deal with GW2 add-ons? OK to use? Any good? Recommendations?

Hey all,

Bought GW2 on release but for all intents and purposes I'm a new player - never dove in before, although I always liked the game. Finally got my first level 80 yesterday and the game has its hooks in me. Really loving this.

Noticed a recent YouTube video about GW2 add-ons / add-on manager. I always thought that GW2, unlike say WoW, was not big on add-ons, and they weren't really used. Is that still true? I actually like that about the game - WoW add-ons began to really feel like a major advantage for those that could figure out how properly set them up, etc. and that was kind of annoying.

Anyway, long story short, are add-ons a thing in GW2? Are they accepted by ArenaNet? If so, any recommendations on ones deemed essential, and ideally not the kind that hold your hand, but rather improve UI, graphics, info management, FPS, etc.

Cheers!

Hello,

Yes. Add-ons are present in Guild Wars 2. However, the Terms of Service state the following:

"Section 2, sub-section f.iii: modify, or create a derivative work of or based on, any Service, Content, Game, or parts thereof; and/or"

"Section 8, sub-section c: Use, or provide others with, any software related to the Game, including any automation software (a.k.a. “bot”) or software designed to change or modify operation of the Game;"

Furthermore, ArenaNet have a support article on the matter: Third-party software usage

To summarise: Using third-party programs are done so at your own risk. Overlays and graphical enhancers appear to be OK, based on YouTubers like Tekkit and WoodenPotatoes.