Monsters in some zones are doing way too high damage.

Frika.6540

Hi,I am experiencing an issue with dying too fast from monster as elementalist as level 80. The class seems absolutely weak for the majority of encounters unless I use earth elemental to tank for me. I finished path of fire with some issues and although there were only a few problems that doesn't change the fact that the moment I try playing with ANYTHING that does not include earth elemental the class is unplayable. Even worse the weaver spec being played with sword feels extra squishy to the point where normal mobs are a no go unless i go and kite them in circles not being able to use the majority of my skills which defeats the whole purpose of playing with swords. With that being said I just started playing heart of thorns... Now I thought it was bad before but this content is just making the previous one like a walk in the park. The majority of mobs have 0 issues catching up with me even when I am running away from them with movement speed buffs, they have charge abilities which inflict a fuck ton of damage and on top of that there are multiple archers that are literally DESTROYING me the moment they target me because of multi shot abilities or some type of arrow straight line dot that is put on the ground. Even if I use perfect dodges etc it is literally impossible to manage through a battle with 2 archers targeting you at a time.

Any advices? I am with 14 k hp and generally good gear for this content it doesn't seem to be an issue of gear more like an issue of extremely low survivability. :|

@"Frika.6540" said:Hi,I am experiencing an issue with dying too fast from monster as elementalist as level 80. The class seems absolutely weak for the majority of encounters unless I use earth elemental to tank for me. I finished path of fire with some issues and although there were only a few problems that doesn't change the fact that the moment I try playing with ANYTHING that does not include earth elemental the class is unplayable. Even worse the weaver spec being played with sword feels extra squishy to the point where normal mobs are a no go unless i go and kite them in circles not being able to use the majority of my skills which defeats the whole purpose of playing with swords. With that being said I just started playing heart of thorns... Now I thought it was bad before but this content is just making the previous one like a walk in the park. The majority of mobs have 0 issues catching up with me even when I am running away from them with movement speed buffs, they have charge abilities which inflict a kitten ton of damage and on top of that there are multiple archers that are literally DESTROYING me the moment they target me because of multi shot abilities or some type of arrow straight line dot that is put on the ground. Even if I use perfect dodges etc it is literally impossible to manage through a battle with 2 archers targeting you at a time.

Any advices? I am with 14 k hp and generally good gear for this content it doesn't seem to be an issue of gear more like an issue of extremely low survivability. :|

Oh ye of little faith. We must open your eyes to the truth!

Try the weaver build in the comments of the video link. It might help you survive better as you learn. It's not an easy spec to get the hang of. Also, see my thread in the ele forum: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/107218/open-world-domination-fire-weaver

Feel free to message me in game if you have any questions. Always happy to help a fellow weaver!

Problem is abit on the Elementalist itself, as its designed to be squishy for its damage potential.For heart of thorns and onward expansions, you're gonna have to pack some utility skills that add survivability, check other stat combos to use which boosts your Vitality stat and learn the attack patterns of the enemies.

The Core GW2 doesn't really prepare anyone for the expansions, since the expansions use more of the combat mechanics than the Core.Many get too comfortable in full Berserker DPS builds in Core, without needing to even learn to use all game combat mechanics since the hostile mobs absolutely lack attack skills and other defenses, then complain how they die too fast in the expansions.

Once you learn the patterns and all, you know when to avoid damage and when to attack.

@FrostSpectre.4198 said:Problem is abit on the Elementalist itself, as its designed to be squishy for its damage potential.For heart of thorns and onward expansions, you're gonna have to pack some utility skills that add survivability, check other stat combos to use which boosts your Vitality stat and learn the attack patterns of the enemies.

The Core GW2 doesn't really prepare anyone for the expansions, since the expansions use more of the combat mechanics than the Core.Many get too comfortable in full Berserker DPS builds in Core, without needing to even learn to use all game combat mechanics since the hostile mobs absolutely lack attack skills and other defenses, then complain how they die too fast in the expansions.

Once you learn the patterns and all, you know when to avoid damage and when to attack.

and that is the major problem, the expansions are practically different games. they punish players for doing the things, that actually REWARDED them in corei certainly dont want to do the boss dance with trash mobs either. i didnt learn the patterns, i just stopped playing instead.

@"FrostSpectre.4198" said:Problem is abit on the Elementalist itself, as its designed to be squishy for its damage potential.For heart of thorns and onward expansions, you're gonna have to pack some utility skills that add survivability, check other stat combos to use which boosts your Vitality stat and learn the attack patterns of the enemies.

I have to disagree a little bit (but not entirely!). Weaver has builds with high sustain and damage. The above video demonstrates the extremes of weaver sustain, but the damage isn't exactly impressive. That's because I've loaded my trait selections and utilities with additional defense for the purposes of taking on 3 champions at once! However, my usual open world build runs full offensive utilities while only taking 2 defensive trait selections (final shielding and invigorating strikes).

This is a clip of a T4 Subject 6 burn strat using meta comp - except for my stupid weaver running an open world build with dire stats! 32.5k DPS on a burst fight running no power/precision/ferocity whatsoever! This is not going to win any DPS competitions for speed runs, but as you can see it pulls its weight even in somewhat demanding burst fights where condi is at a severe disadvantage while being tanky enough to solo champions and group events with ease!

This is the build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKXdvaA-zRRYcRDHHZQjlROJQmFgDzSVSbA-e

Another good idea that people fail to mention is grouping up.

Find a player who is really into support and doesn't even own a dmg stats set, they have a problem with every mob taking like a minute to kill while they themselves are invincible and can cross lava fields without mounting up.

Easier to do hps and mps duo as well..

@Frika.6540 said:

14K HP means you are extreme glass canon build. Some people prefer that, but it does mean unless you excelling in your positioning and rotation you will be taking hits. This isn't surprising. PoF was much easier than HoT because prior to HoT players were asking for a more challenging experience and ANet brought it. For PoF the vocal group was one more on solo content which might be why you find it easier. So yes I would expect to need to group more in HoT if you solo more and run glass cannon. Else plan on running with more armor. The forums will endlessly debate between glass versus tank. To me, its gear up for your play-style, connection and group setup. You nee to find the mix that matches your environment.

All that said, no NPC damage is fine, its already been nerfed a number of time. Enrage timed mechanics are a different issue. So is the aggro mechanic and the logic on what should be targeted when. But that's a different discussion. Good hunting!

@aspirine.6852 said:Some of the things in HoT are just made with more than one people in mind. Sometimes solo is still possible but you have to be aware that there are some really high hits to be mitigated or dodged.

This ^^^^^^. HoT expects groups and play better with them. And personally am on the side that HoT > PoF, but your mileage will vary.

Elementalists are equipped by default with the lowest armor rating and the smallest health pool.

But, like almost all classes, in open world, you should build your character like you are always alone. Elementalist (and I personally like weaver for its sword and stances) can be extremely tough to kill if built properly (you can deal reasonable damage too. It's not necessarely supposed to be a race of who dps faster than the other).

Did you play with a raid build from a certain site?This is in no way a bad thing, but there are some way better things to creating a build ourselves.

Use weapons you're confortable with. Check your traits and do a bit of research and test to know what are the synergies. Synergy is extremely important when playing tough content.

I think I've seen a build here in the forum, Fire Weaver I believe? Check this out.

Ele's are very much the squishiest of the light armour classes and HoT was designed not just to be difficult but to also counter a lot of the old Zerker Glass Canon meta that was dominant when HoT first came out.Matter of fact HoT was even harder back then and has suffered some significant nerfs since it's original release.

I think you should take AliamRationem.5172's advice.Ele can be an absolute powerhouse with the right build and player knowledge but it is not an easy class to learn and takes a lot of practice.

It's a steep learning curve with ele. At least for many average skilled players. Mine is a weaver and I absolutely love playing sword/dagger with my celestial stats (open world before anyone jumps on me). I'm not great, but when it works, it's such a wonderfullly satisfying class to play. Survival comes down to a few factors;

• kill it before it kills you
  • switching between elements carefully - very complex with weaver given the split attunements. But you learn where the survival skills are fast. It's easy to settle into all fire, but that wont protect you
  • ensuring your utilities make up for any deficiencies - shields, spin evades, protections etc. Eles have a lot of defensive skills which is how they mitigate damage. Often these are evades and roll aways
  • keeping your vigour up so you can maintain more dodges
  • ensuring the heal skill and your healing traits reflect your playstyle.

When I play my warrior, I'm barely moving and just absorbing punishment with high Vit/tough and blocks/counters. When I play my ele, it's a dance of movement and rotations. Dying with an ele is part of learning to get better at it and where you need to need to cover holes in traits, skills and stats. I went through various armour set ups until I realised actually just going celestial was perfect for me in the open world.

Also don't be afraid to try different weapon set ups - esp now eles have out of combat weapon swaps. Focus should give you access to some defensive work and sceptre will keep you out of harms way.

Also, don't feel bad about using earth ele to tank with. It's there to be used

@Randulf.7614 touches on a key point for Ele builds, especially Weaver. Switch around the different elements, in part because that way you get to use attacks that aren't on cooldown, but also for alternative defensives, etc. (E.g. Attack 2 is on cooldown for Fire? Switch primary to Earth and use its 2. Then Water's, etc. Eventually you come back to Fire, and its 2 will be off cooldown.)

It depends on the specific mobs as well. The game is pretty inconsistent. Champion vs elite vs veteran vs normal isn't a great guide either. There are champions that are arguably much easier to fight than some normal mobs(most spiders are easy regardless of rank but there are a few exceptions). The ranks are mostly useful when the mob is the same type. For example champion ice wurm vs veteran ice wurm would be an okay comparison but champion ice wurm vs veteran plains wurm are not necessarily a reliable comparison. Champion ice wurm vs veteran jungle spider would be even less reliable of a comparison.

Elementalist, especially weaver can be quite complicated to play. Piano style. You will want to be familiar with combo fields. Also elementalists have some of the strongest defensive utility skills out there. Teleport and Twist of Fate are super strong and there are others. You can start a cast and teleport and the cast will finish. It's a nice trick when you are casting something like staff fire 5 and you need to bail. Or precasting earth dagger 5 and engage with teleport. Twist of fate is just OP; stun break, evade, superspeed and you have 2 charges.

My only complaint in the PoF maps is the false AoE indicators. I wasn't even standing in the hydra's fire circle when the meteor came down and it still hit me. If it's splash damage then make the circle bigger, so I can go far enough out to avoid the splash as well.

This is why I use mounts in HoT. If I get dismounted, and my only purpose is running from here to there, and I'm not looking for a fight. Then I have blocks, and invulnerability slotted. I also have blink skill to blink ahead. The only creature I've struggled to outrun and outblink is smokescale. AKA thiefscale. Okay I want to see that now. A video of a thief being chased around by a smokescale and only using longbow shadow port.

@Katelynn.6593 said:My only complaint in the PoF maps is the false AoE indicators. I wasn't even standing in the hydra's fire circle when the meteor came down and it still hit me. If it's splash damage then make the circle bigger, so I can go far enough out to avoid the splash as well.

This is why I use mounts in HoT. If I get dismounted, and my only purpose is running from here to there, and I'm not looking for a fight. Then I have blocks, and invulnerability slotted. I also have blink skill to blink ahead. The only creature I've struggled to outrun and outblink is smokescale. AKA thiefscale. Okay I want to see that now. A video of a thief being chased around by a smokescale and only using longbow shadow port.

I think with the hydra meteorites it's such a quick attack that lag/latency can sometimes make it appear that you avoided it when you didn't. A basic rule of thumb for this attack is that you need to be in motion already when the circle appears in your location. I don't think you have enough time to react and move to avoid it after seeing the circle.

I find circle strafing at close range is effective at avoiding both the meteorites and directional charge/breath/bite attacks of hydras. They are a little too slow to catch you this way, although the charge hitbox is too large and will still hit you if you're standing alongside them if you're too close!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Katelynn.6593 said:My only complaint in the PoF maps is the false AoE indicators. I wasn't even standing in the hydra's fire circle when the meteor came down and it still hit me. If it's splash damage then make the circle bigger, so I can go far enough out to avoid the splash as well.

I think with the hydra meteorites it's such a quick attack that lag/latency can sometimes make it appear that you avoided it when you didn't. A basic rule of thumb for this attack is that you need to be in motion already when the circle appears in your location. I don't think you have enough time to react and move to avoid it after seeing the circle.

I find circle strafing at close range is effective at avoiding both the meteorites and directional charge/breath/bite attacks of hydras. They are a little too slow to catch you this way, although the charge hitbox is too large and will still hit you if you're standing alongside them if you're too close!

I do have a high ping, so this comment explains a lot. I'm usually running through on my raptor and still get hit, so I wouldn't think it's a movement issue. But probably a ping and latency issue.