Please support Japanese Font

Nothing makes playing an MMO more fun than to practice speaking in other languages while playing online with friends in an open world mmo game.Please allow Japanese Text / font in GW2 chat system so we can practice our Japanese while playing with Japanese friends online.I have some Japanese friends in GW2 and Me and many others would enjoy the ability to chat in Japanese while playing together.

Thank you!

@DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

@lokh.2695 said:I doubt the effort is worth the outcome. I'd rather have ANet spend their resources on something else.

It doesn't take that much resources to make this work... They can do this on the side.

Even if only the text were translated, this game has about as much text as a trails game at this point.

I wouldn't envy that persons job.

@Westenev.5289 said:

@lokh.2695 said:I doubt the effort is worth the outcome. I'd rather have ANet spend their resources on something else.

It doesn't take that much resources to make this work... They can do this on the side.

Even if only the text were translated, this game has about as much text as a trails game at this point.

I wouldn't envy that persons job.

Or the mod's job if someone is being abusive in japanese

@DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:I don't care if the game's text are translated in Japanese. I just want the ability to type Japanese to friends who speak it in game. lol

the game supports some of the kanji in use due to the chinese font support we have (i believe because of the CN GW2 version). surprisingly we also have hanggul support as a font but nowhere do we have a KR GW2 service/region (maybe it's an NCSoft upper management thing they want to be able to type in korean when they play gw2?)

that said not translating but just adding unicode support would be easy to do (i mean compared to translating everything and adding new voice overs). that way all characters even russian and japanese would display and can be typed in properly

@"DreamyAbaddon.3265" said:Nothing makes playing an MMO more fun than to practice speaking in other languages while playing online with friends in an open world mmo game.Please allow Japanese Text / font in GW2 chat system so we can practice our Japanese while playing with Japanese friends online.I have some Japanese friends in GW2 and Me and many others would enjoy the ability to chat in Japanese while playing together.

Thank you!When using Japanese language input on a Windows PC it is possible to press ALT+SHIFT to "activate" Japanese input within GW2. You can even see 〖あ〛 next to the chat field. You may have already discovered this, though. As you say, this actually doesn't work properly and you can only type a few limited characters...which is weird.

Also, are you on NA servers? Do you know any Japanese players? I was actually looking for Japanese language and time zone players. Maybe some that use Discord? There doesn't seem to be many people living in Japan that are playing this game (they don't have to be native-Japanese players).

@firedragon.8953 said:Also, are you on NA servers? Do you know any Japanese players? I was actually looking for Japanese language and time zone players. Maybe some that use Discord? There doesn't seem to be many people living in Japan that are playing this game (they don't have to be native-Japanese players).

not the OP but if you're on NA server, i've seen a guild or two with the [JPN] shorthand and i think i've seen them shout recruitment (for players in utc+9) atleast once in the last two years (they rarely do and they are very few of them are out in the open world)... though not sure if they really are people from japan (either nihonjin or gaikokujin) as for nihonjin playing gw2, if there ever are any, there's probably so few of them you can count them by hand. in my experience there, like the koreans, they would most likely not touch a game unless it has at least nihongo UI and captions, and if they ever do on a game that doesn't -- it's because a friend recommended it to them. in short it usually has to be partially or fully localised for them to actually consider touching it. though very few do tough it out but not as many as non-native english speakers from EU or South America or Russia for example. also when they see a big block of english text (like how some long tl;dr posts we have here on the forums) 8 out 10 times they wont even bother reading it and likely just skip it unless it's important enough. 

@firedragon.8953 said:

@"DreamyAbaddon.3265" said:Nothing makes playing an MMO more fun than to practice speaking in other languages while playing online with friends in an open world mmo game.Please allow Japanese Text / font in GW2 chat system so we can practice our Japanese while playing with Japanese friends online.I have some Japanese friends in GW2 and Me and many others would enjoy the ability to chat in Japanese while playing together.

Thank you!When using Japanese language input on a Windows PC it is possible to press ALT+SHIFT to "activate" Japanese input within GW2. You can even see 〖あ〛 next to the chat field. You may have already discovered this, though. As you say, this actually doesn't work properly and you can only type a few limited characters...which is weird.

Also, are you on NA servers? Do you know any Japanese players? I was actually looking for Japanese language and time zone players. Maybe some that use Discord? There doesn't seem to be many people living in Japan that are playing this game (they don't have to be native-Japanese players).

My Discord is: DreamyAbaddon#4760Add me and I'll add you to a Discord server with Japanese friends I have who play GW2. They are in North American Server.

@"Shiyo.3578" said:It seems kind of absurd to me that Katakana/Hiragana isn't supported but some Kanji is, and chinese is.

GW1, among the many languages it supported, had partial japanese support: no audio but everything in the ui including quests and dialogue is completely translated. seems strange GW2 had less localisation options (even if just partial like GW1). the korean GW1 language option even had audio (alongside the usual EN/DE/FR/ES)

in englishrULu5BR.png

in nihongohNLmOBe.png

but yeah regarding chinese, i think it has to do with the GW2 version being available in china, it makes sense to create support (UI/Naming System/etc.) for the language but leave it disabled in the global version, when they ship updates/content to the China publisher they just re-enable it.

@Linken.6345 said:Yea finding and paying the support people to read the text of possibly abusive japanese text is not free so will most likely not happen.Many languages other than english use latin alphabet, people use them in game but I'm sure anet don't have a person to translate every single one of those languages to see if it's abusive.

@krz.1327 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Yea finding and paying the support people to read the text of possibly abusive japanese text is not free so will most likely not happen.Many languages other than english use latin alphabet, people use them in game but I'm sure anet don't have a person to translate every single one of those languages to see if it's abusive.

Yes some languages can type with the latin alphabet but anet dont support them it was accidentally a bi product of them supporting the languages they were going to support from the start.

Going through the effort to support other languages to be able to type, however make anet be in support of them so then having to have support in said languages as well is that understandable at all?

@Astyrah.4015 said:the game supports some of the kanji in use due to the chinese font support we have (i believe because of the CN GW2 version). surprisingly we also have hanggul support as a font but nowhere do we have a KR GW2 service/region (maybe it's an NCSoft upper management thing they want to be able to type in korean when they play gw2?)

nah, it's only traditional chinese, and it's not fully supported, simplified chinese looks none at all

@DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:Nothing makes playing an MMO more fun than to practice speaking in other languages while playing online with friends in an open world mmo game.Please allow Japanese Text / font in GW2 chat system so we can practice our Japanese while playing with Japanese friends online.I have some Japanese friends in GW2 and Me and many others would enjoy the ability to chat in Japanese while playing together.

why not just chat to them on discord with voice? less cumbersome than typing

typing is just not as efficient, and they cant correct your pronounciations

@Linken.6345 said:

@Jokuc.3478 said:Agreed. I don't care about translating, that would take a huge amount of work. Just want to be able to type it in chat. Super easy to add.

Yea finding and paying the support people to read the text of possibly abusive japanese text is not free so will most likely not happen.

EU has 24 official languages. Many more on the continent, probably in the range of 50 - 100, depends on how precise you are and to how many speakers you limit to. Do you really think they support all of them?

@Cuks.8241 said:

@Jokuc.3478 said:Agreed. I don't care about translating, that would take a huge amount of work. Just want to be able to type it in chat. Super easy to add.

Yea finding and paying the support people to read the text of possibly abusive japanese text is not free so will most likely not happen.

EU has 24 official languages. Many more on the continent, probably in the range of 50 - 100, depends on how precise you are and to how many speakers you limit to. Do you really think they support all of them?

No already answer this is a bonus bi product of supporting the languages they supported from the start.