Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@ZenAge.4863 said:

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:I've been thinking what's next for the project, seeing as it's mostly completed. A few things that come to mind are:Ha! The desktop icon would be handy xD... btw are you still considering implementing the ramdrive option, or have you decided not to include it?

I went up and down quite a bit with the ram drive but in the end I decided against it. The main reason is that it consists of having to copy thousands of files back and forth with each run and without forgetting that it requires sudo password, another thing to be considered is that these shaders have to be recompiled after a driver update (both Nvidia and AMD/Intel with Mesa) which complicates things a bit further.

@"Redmond.5019" said:https://flightlessmango.com/games/9692/logs/817

Esync vs Fsync on my machine and got better performance using Esync, oddly.

From my tests I've had the same results , for this game Esync is the better choice, however I found Fsync to help in others. Some games are even unstable with Esync whereas with Fsync work just fine while still retaining better performance.

@Redmond.5019 said:It looks like you're looking up Guildwars 2 on FlightlessMango instead of Guild Wars 2.

Oh, yes, Thanks for the correct link.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Esync vs Fsync on my machine and got better performance using Esync, oddly.

From my tests I've had the same results , for this game Esync is the better choice, however I found Fsync to help in others. Some games are even unstable with Esync whereas with Fsync work just fine while still retaining better performance.

I did a longer run, actively playing Dragonfall Meta for about a hour each.Each run contains a full Meta. Having many people in one place during the end (killing Kralk and hunting the Bosses afterwards) having a huge impact on performance while building the camps goes easier, because the action is less centered and distributed on the map.I expected, that recordings a longer timeframe including the full meta run would even out unfair advantages based on what was happening on the map for either of the builds.

My results were so close (FSync being slightly better, about 3%), that all differences are well within margin of error.I disabled supersampling to get playable performance.https://flightlessmango.com/games/9692/logs/848

@"Anaeijon.5694" said:My results were so close (FSync being slightly better, about 3%), that all differences are well within margin of error.I disabled supersampling to get playable performance.https://flightlessmango.com/games/9692/logs/848

I noticed you're using Proton there. If it's easier for you, you can use Fsync even from my package. In 'bin' folder open up 'user_run', comment out WINEESYNC and enable WINEFSYNC under it. ;)

@Redmond.5019 said:@ArmoredVehicle.2849 Is there an easy way to setup your custom version through Lutris?

Never used Lutris so no idea how it actually works. I did check the game's page though and apparently someone wrote an install script (click - show unpublished installers) which configures Wine in a similar way to my package. Seem to be a job well done too I must say :)

I added the following to bin/user_run to enable vkBasalt setting if installed:

# vkBasaltexport ENABLE_VKBASALT=1export VKBASALT_LOG_FILE="vkBasalt.log"

[optionally] you can add fsync by adding, too:

# export WINEESYNC=1export WINEFSYNC=1

The vkBasalt.confin data/drive_c/GW2/ has the following content (be careful the Reshade shaders path /home/user/.config/reshade/ is lowercase!)

effects = cas:tone:vibreshadeTexturePath = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Textures"reshadeIncludePath = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders"depthCapture = off# toggleKey toggles the effects on/offtoggleKey = Home# VibrancevibVibrance = 0.100000vibVibranceRGBBalance = 1.000000,1.000000,1.000000# TonemaptoneDefog = 0.100000toneBleach = 0.000000toneGamma = 1.000000toneExposure = 0.000000toneSaturation = -0.150000toneFogColor = 1.000000,1.000000,1.000000#casSharpnesscasSharpness = 0.40# Reshade FXcolorful = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders/Colourfulness.fx"denoise = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders/Denoise.fx"asharp = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders/AdaptiveSharpening.fx"lsharp = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders/LumaSharpen.fx"vib = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders/Vibrance.fx"curv = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders/Curves.fx"lev = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders/Levels.fx"tone = "/home/user/.config/reshade/Shaders/Tonemap.fx"

Would be nice if you add it. So that people with installed vkBasalt can just start with a suttle reshade setting. Better put those reshade shaders in your share path.

@"Nevin Kiludan.2639" said:I added the following to bin/user_run to enable vkBasalt setting if installed:

# vkBasaltexport ENABLE_VKBASALT=1export VKBASALT_LOG_FILE="vkBasalt.log"Would be nice if you add it. So that people with installed vkBasalt can just start with a suttle reshade setting. Better put those reshade shaders in your `share` path.I just added it to mine and tried your preset, it seems you also added it in Github, really useful! I have been considering sharing my preset for a while, but procrastinated optimizing it. Your preset looks pretty, and I will keep on using it for a while and get back to you on it if you are interested in feedback. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I just installed GW2 on Linux, played always on Windows in the past. Right now I have the issue when moving around the game stutters heavily, which I think comes from filling the cache? Correct me if I am wrong.

What exactly is the difference from the files provided in the first post to the lutris install? Is there anything else I can do to increase performance?

Edit:Gamingonlinux community on Discord suggested activating ACO, which seems to help a great deal for my problem.

@Samurro.1463 said:Hey guys I just installed GW2 on Linux, played always on Windows in the past. Right now I have the issue when moving around the game stutters heavily, which I think comes from filling the cache? Correct me if I am wrong.

What exactly is the difference from the files provided in the first post to the lutris install? Is there anything else I can do to increase performance?

Edit:Gamingonlinux community on Discord suggested activating ACO, which seems to help a great deal for my problem.

Hi,Stutter is normal for the first few runs, this is due to cache buildup. To minimize the stutter it's better if you run the game on an SSD, as the cache is kept in the same folder as the game. The scripts from Lutris are very similar to my package, some of the install scripts are also based on the same package, performance wise doesn't make any difference.

The package is set to use ACO by default on AMD GPU's. :)

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:Also ACO is now enabled by default for radv:

WARNING: Unknown option RADV_PERFTEST='aco'. ACO is enabled by default now.

I think if it's just a harmless warning it's safe to keep it in the package for those not running the upcoming 20.2.x. Otherwise I can always implement an if/else line in the script :)

@kanemi.4903 said:Those who run teh game with proton has any problem with LTC?

Sorry what does LTC stand for?

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:Also ACO is now enabled by default for radv:

I think if it's just a harmless warning it's safe to keep it in the package for those not running the upcoming 20.2.x. Otherwise I can always implement an if/else line in the script :)

'Lion Trade Company'If i run gw2 with proton, LTC does not work.anyone else who run the game w proton has the same problem or is just me?

Guys after doing a long(ish) stint on Pop OS (2+ years) i've jumped back to Windows 10 to use the d912pxy.

Quite simply, the performance using DXVK is sub-par compared to running Windows 10 using the d912pxy. After running performance benchmarks in fractals and wvw, pvp and general i'm seeing differences of 40-50 fps in lots of situations.

The sad truth is if you're running linux distros you're gimping yourself out of experiencing an optimal experience with GW2.

Unfortunately d912pxy does not work in linux due to running an up-to date feature set of dx12 implementation that's not available in vkd3d ( this is using vkd3d > dx12pxy )

It was fun rocking Linux for a while. Chau !

@Little Howl.5231 said:Quite simply, the performance using DXVK is sub-par compared to running Windows 10 using the d912pxy. After running performance benchmarks in fractals and wvw, pvp and general i'm seeing differences of 40-50 fps in lots of situations.May i ask for your specs or more precisely how many fps you consider normal when running under Windows 10? Because my rather old pc runs at about ~50-60 fps normally with about 10-15% less running on Wine, so a loss of 50 fps under linux sounds incredibly strange.

@Ooops.8694 said:

@Little Howl.5231 said:Quite simply, the performance using DXVK is sub-par compared to running Windows 10 using the d912pxy. After running performance benchmarks in fractals and wvw, pvp and general i'm seeing differences of 40-50 fps in lots of situations.May i ask for your specs or more precisely how many fps you consider normal when running under Windows 10? Because my rather old pc runs at about ~50-60 fps normally with about 10-15% less running on Wine, so a loss of 50 fps under linux sounds incredibly strange.

maybe he had vsync on in linux and off in windows.

That said, I do not give a damn about windows performance.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

maybe he had vsync on in linux and off in windows.

That said, I do not give a kitten about windows performance.

LOL

@Ooops.8694 said:

@"Little Howl.5231" said:Quite simply, the performance using DXVK is sub-par compared to running Windows 10 using the d912pxy. After running performance benchmarks in fractals and wvw, pvp and general i'm seeing differences of 40-50 fps in lots of situations.May i ask for your specs or more precisely how many fps you consider normal when running under Windows 10? Because my rather old pc runs at about ~50-60 fps normally with about 10-15% less running on Wine, so a loss of 50 fps under linux sounds incredibly strange.

I'm not talking about Windows 10 native dx9 vs Linux with wine or dxvk ( vulkan )

I'm referring to running GW2 in DX12 with the d912pxy on Windows 10 and the performance gap against running on Linux with DXVK is HUGE.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/110553/want-to-use-directx-12-dx12-for-gw2-heres-a-guide-on-using-the-d912pxy-on-windows-10#latest

i7 6800k @ 4.5 Ghz32 Gig 3200 Mhz DDR4512GB Nvme SSDAMD RX 5700xt

Playing on 165Hz freesync monitor vsync OFF @ 1440p resolution

@kanemi.4903 said:

'Lion Trade Company'If i run gw2 with proton, LTC does not work.anyone else who run the game w proton has the same problem or is just me?

The trading post and gem store? Both work for me.

@Little Howl.5231 said:

I'm not talking about Windows 10 native dx9 vs Linux with wine or dxvk ( vulkan )

I'm referring to running GW2 in DX12 with the d912pxy on Windows 10 and the performance gap against running on Linux with DXVK is HUGE.

and at the same time, you are running windows. Poor you.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

and at the same time, you are running windows. Poor you.

Ok I'll bite. It's a shame people associate so strongly with an idea that they become so biased that their logic is completely flawed.Poor me, my Gw2 experience is optimal. ?