Skimmer underwater speed is so disappointing - [Merged]

aaron.7850

@"Martnor.1746" said:Well, are you travelling faster than if you were simply swimming? If yes, then I would say the skimmer does its job at making it "faster to travel through water" :)

Regarding water resistance, skimmers may travel faster if we weren't on their backs. As we are not leaned flat against their bodies, we offer drag. Hence the lower speed.

Here you go bringing physics into it. ;)

@Hesione.9412 said:

@"Martnor.1746" said:Well, are you travelling faster than if you were simply swimming? If yes, then I would say the skimmer does its job at making it "faster to travel through water" :)

Regarding water resistance, skimmers may travel faster if we weren't on their backs. As we are not leaned flat against their bodies, we offer drag. Hence the lower speed.

Well, the OP mentioned "drag" first. I just expanded on it.

@Poormany.4507 said:Agree that the skimmer should be at least slightly faster underwater. I also wish that you didn't have to press a button to dive and would just be able to point downward to do so.

I'm guessing you just mean looking down to dive? But then what about the people who just want to look at their character above water from a birds eye view? They would end up diving without wanting to. Having a button do it bypasses this issue and seriously.... just makes it easier for everybody.

Eh. It's fine. I suspect it's gonna be very useful to have underwater mount speed to get around in Cantha during the next expansion, so I'm definitely not sorry I got it.

Did it wow me? No. Thrill me? No. Was I hugely and morbidly entertained by the catastrophe of its launch? Yes.

Its fine. I haven't gotten a single bit of real use out of it yet, but again...probably will in the upcoming expansion. Probably a lot of use if the Jade Sea is watery again and we have to run around doing seven hundred collections of waterbug farts so we can unlock the collection for Underwater Basket Weaving that, when completed, will unlock the collection for Standing Around In 20 Places Throughout Tyria For 20 Hours Each that will, when completed, give us strap 1 of 4 for the left stirrup of the Better Dragon mount that will actually fly.

You'll really be sorry you don't have underwater skimmering when you're trying to do the collections for stirrup strap 1 of 4!

@Martnor.1746 said:

@Martnor.1746 said:Well, are you travelling faster than if you were simply swimming? If yes, then I would say the skimmer does its job at making it "faster to travel through water" :)

Well, the OP mentioned "drag" first. I just expanded on it.

@Poormany.4507 said:Agree that the skimmer should be at least slightly faster underwater. I also wish that you didn't have to press a button to dive and would just be able to point downward to do so.

I'm guessing you just mean looking down to dive? But then what about the people who just want to look at their character above water from a birds eye view? They would end up diving without wanting to. Having a button do it bypasses this issue and seriously.... just makes it easier for everybody.

No, you hold right click to look down and dive. You can change the camera with left click without diving, works the same as swimming on foot. They should've implemented that into skimmer.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Kalythsu.8350 said:if you want to gain speed underwater

see that

You're welcome :*

It’d have to be tested. My initial guess is the animation for mounting negates any incentives to doing this.

tested and approved^^

So what was the speed?

Yes slightly faster (4 seconds difference) by going quietly. So with optimization we can do better.

@"Poormany.4507" said:Agree that the skimmer should be at least slightly faster underwater. I also wish that you didn't have to press a button to dive and would just be able to point downward to do so.

Well, if it helps at all....I have Mount Skill 2 bound to the same key as 'Swim Down." This makes it easy and intuitive to dive, it uses the same up and down buttons as swimming and skyscale steering. Pointing down may be simpler for those who steer with their mouse, but for those of use who use the keyboard, it is a pain to have to switch to mouse and steer downward whenever I am swimming and want to go underwater...wish the Swim Down button worked to dive when swimming, too.

(Bound to 0 on the number pad, if you're curious, because it's convenient to hit with my pinky when I'm driving my roller beetle with the arrow keys and want to drift.)

It's ok. I don't care too much about how fast it is, maybe because I don't want to rush to complete map explorations. It seems fast enough to avoid most, if not all, underwater mobs so it doesn't bother me. Anything faster just seems like a bonus.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:I like the speed...fast enough to avoid being attacked by every underwater mob, slow enough to see the sights. I am finally getting to be able to enjoy the underwater scenery in Orr, instead of being desperate to get out of the water to a safe place to skim over the surface.

Yeah it's so great to be able to finally explore the core Tyria and PoF/LW4 maps underwater without having to worry about fighting lots of mobs with underwater combat.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Kalythsu.8350 said:if you want to gain speed underwater

see that

You're welcome :*

It’d have to be tested. My initial guess is the animation for mounting negates any incentives to doing this.

tested and approved^^

So what was the speed?

tricky to get a precise number with this sort of thing but 700+ and you need to be able to get the timing right .... and of course not get into combatpressing 1 too fast causes you to get stuck in the attack animation, I guess if you really want to push this you would make sure you have no underwater water weapon equipped

@naiasonod.9265 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:"Every other game has mounts we need mounts. Giv mount nao plox?!?!" - Alright, we'll be introducing mounts with PoF."Underwater content is tedious, can we get a means to circumvent it?" - Ok, lads, have a skimmer."The Skimmer is fine but WE NEED an underwater mount." - Sure thing, we'll make the skimmer go under water."The Skimmer underwater isn't as fast as I want it to be. Can it go faster?" - ...

People will never be satisfied and whatever company sets out to satisfy people is setting itself up for failure.

Or maybe, and this will be mindblowing for some few, there are people that want the whole hot dog. The bun, the condiments, the little foil wrapper it comes in and, of course, the hot dog.

So you give them just the hot dog. No foil, no bun, no condiments. And they want more. How unappreciative!

So you give them the condiments. Still no bun or wrapper. And they STILL want more! The insanity! Who do these people think they are?!

So you give them the wrapper. What more could they possibly want?! They're STILL asking for a BUN! But you already gave them condiments and the foil and the hot dog itself!

Nobody can know what should happen in such situations. They're very mysterious. If we had the power to foresee, let alone avoid, problems like that, well, it just doesn't bear imagining then, does it?

Kind of a crap analogy. They gave you the whole dog as advertised: a mount that can go fast along the water surface. It was never advertised as an underwater mount initially. Now they've upgraded the hot dog to a better dog of being able to go underwater and you're like "ugh, it's not good enough."So yeah, I'd call that being a bit entitled.

Would it be nice to be able to dash or something while underwater? Sure, but I don't feel entitled to that because that's not something the skimmer ever did outside of its engage skill...which is meant for dismounting

• Like 1