HoT = Dark Souls ? Casual Gamer perspective.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:HoT map completion has been done with a level 2 character several times; champ hero points obviously leeched from an HP train.

That doesn't really speak to a casual's experience though, and I'm talking about a casual's experience

The maps do not have swarms of enemies in locations except for during certain events.

i don't know what to tell you, I've been ambushed before (especially pocket raptors but not exclusively pocket raptors)

The enemies all have similar mechanics just like the PoF enemies .You listed the djinn, hydras, and one other mob type as being challenging but not difficult and yet HoT enemies really are no different from them.

the enemies in HoT are both challenging and difficult, while the enemies in PoF are challenging but not difficult. the two terms aren't interchangeable.

I've asked which HoT enemies you have found difficulties with but you never answered the question. I asked where in HoT that you encounters swarms of enemies which you never answered.

Generally speaking, most if not all HoT enemies are difficult, and generally all around HoT maps. I can't really point to specifics because it's been a while, and it's not like i need to go back to HoT maps for anything since i have all the masteries completed, so i just never venture there anymore, and I'm not going to make myself miserable by going back to HoT just to see which specific places and which specific mobs are unbalanced and where. Just because you don't find it difficult doesn't mean it's not difficult for casual players.

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:HoT map completion has been done with a level 2 character several times; champ hero points obviously leeched from an HP train.

That doesn't really speak to a casual's experience though, and I'm talking about a casual's experience

Define casual.

If a level 2 character can go through HoT without any issues, where everything aggros from beyond 2K range and will one-shot you to completely dead, I'm sure others will have no issues.

The maps do not have swarms of enemies in locations except for during certain events.

i don't know what to tell you, I've been ambushed before (especially pocket raptors but not exclusively pocket raptors)

For pocket raptors, you want to kill them immediately. Use your burst skills on them. I don't recall any other mobs ambushing players.

The enemies all have similar mechanics just like the PoF enemies .You listed the djinn, hydras, and one other mob type as being challenging but not difficult and yet HoT enemies really are no different from them.

the enemies in HoT are both challenging and difficult, while the enemies in PoF are challenging but not difficult. the two terms aren't interchangeable.

As I said in my post, the enemies in HoT are really no different from those in PoF. They all have mechanics which make them easy once you know what they are and how to perform them. There will be a learning curve but it's really no different from that in PoF and the living stories.

I've asked which HoT enemies you have found difficulties with but you never answered the question. I asked where in HoT that you encounters swarms of enemies which you never answered.

Generally speaking, most if not all HoT enemies are difficult, and generally all around HoT maps. I can't really point to specifics because it's been a while, and it's not like i need to go back to HoT maps for anything since i have all the masteries completed, so i just never venture there anymore, and I'm not going to make myself miserable by going back to HoT just to see which specific places and which specific mobs are unbalanced and where. Just because you don't find it difficult doesn't mean it's not difficult for casual players.

If you're saying most, if not all, then it's a player skill issue and not one involving the mobs themselves. This is especially true if you hold all content released since HoT as not being as "difficult". There are many casual players who have no issues. Just because you have issues, and self-describe yourself and a casual, doesn't mean that your own personal experience is represents those of others who label themselves as casual. I constantly see players who wear "casual" as some sort of banner and then act as if it's some sort of handicap to be so even though plenty of players who call themselves casual have completed all content in this game.

HoT is definitely a group activity for me.

Metas. LFG or looking to see if a commander tag is on the map.

Hero point trains on LFG.

I just don't think HoT is designed for solo play for 70%+ players. I think it's designed with a group in mind.

HoT doesn't make me angry because I play it as intended, with a group.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Bish.8627" said:The jump from vanilla to HoT is pretty sharp for a new player

That's normal since there is supposed to be two living world seasons in-between core and hot. A player isn't even required to visit Southsun Cove before going into hot. Those Young Karka are excellent "training" for fresh level 80s to test their abilities.

i have never seen an mmo where the difficulty varies so much as this game. it is NOT normal to do it this way.other devs try to avoid it, you dont want all the spices in one bite either

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:I ask because unless you have data then you're simply going by your experience. For example,raiders may find raids easy from their experience but this doesn't necessarily mean that raids are easy as a fact. It only means that raids are easy for them. Just like how HoT is more difficult for you than elsewhere based on your experience playing but this doesn't necessarily mean that HoT is actually more difficult. When you base something on your experience, it becomes subjective and no longer a fact.

So does my experience count for nothing? This thread exists for a reason.

To other players yes it count for nothing, to you no it counts since its your experience.

even the most asocial players cant play an mmo in a bubble, you may not respect other peoples opinions, but you have to accept, that they HAVE them"when you base something on your experience, it becomes subjective and no longer a fact"....then i guess we have to dismiss ALL opinions , except FROM THOSE , WHO HAVENT PLAYED THE GAME!!! wow....

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:HoT map completion has been done with a level 2 character several times; champ hero points obviously leeched from an HP train.

Define casual.

If a level 2 character can go through HoT without any issues, where everything aggros from beyond 2K range and will one-shot you to completely dead, I'm sure others will have no issues.

For pocket raptors, you want to kill them immediately. Use your burst skills on them. I don't recall any other mobs ambushing players.

As I said in my post, the enemies in HoT are really no different from those in PoF. They all have mechanics which make them easy once you know what they are and how to perform them. There will be a learning curve but it's really no different from that in PoF and the living stories.

If you're saying most, if not all, then it's a player skill issue and not one involving the mobs themselves. This is especially true if you hold all content released since HoT as not being as "difficult". There are many casual players who have no issues. Just because you have issues, and self-describe yourself and a casual, doesn't mean that your own personal experience is represents those of others who label themselves as casual. I constantly see players who wear "casual" as some sort of banner and then act as if it's some sort of handicap to be so even though plenty of players who call themselves casual have completed all content in this game.

so , its the right product for the wrong customers? still a failure then

@battledrone.8315 said:

Define casual.

Did you quote the wrong person? I don't see how your post is relevant to what I said.

@battledrone.8315 said:

That's normal since there is supposed to be two living world seasons in-between core and hot. A player isn't even required to visit Southsun Cove before going into hot. Those Young Karka are excellent "training" for fresh level 80s to test their abilities.

i have never seen an mmo where the difficulty varies so much as this game. it is NOT normal to do it this way.other devs try to avoid it, you dont want all the spices in one bite either

It's a good thing they did it that way. Most players like some challenge in their games. Frankly, core game play is an embarrassment. What kind of sense does it make to have one of the best combat systems of any MMO when players can literally stand in place auto-attacking and still win against most enemies?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Define casual.

Did you quote the wrong person? I don't see how your post is relevant to what I said.

nope. but you if dont see the connection, feel free to ignore it.

@Cuks.8241 said:

@castlemanic.3198 said:Even with mounts, HoT is still unenjoyable and too imbalanced for casual players.

Casual has nothing to do with it. I am a casual (a few hours per week) and can and play all the content that gw2 offers.

then you are a skilled player, who plays casually...not a casual player per se. there is a pretty big difference.

@battledrone.8315 said:

Define casual.

nope. but you if dont see the connection, feel free to ignore it.

There isn't a connection beyond the one being forced.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:I ask because unless you have data then you're simply going by your experience. For example,raiders may find raids easy from their experience but this doesn't necessarily mean that raids are easy as a fact. It only means that raids are easy for them. Just like how HoT is more difficult for you than elsewhere based on your experience playing but this doesn't necessarily mean that HoT is actually more difficult. When you base something on your experience, it becomes subjective and no longer a fact.

To other players yes it count for nothing, to you no it counts since its your experience.

even the most asocial players cant play an mmo in a bubble, you may not respect other peoples opinions, but you have to accept, that they HAVE them"when you base something on your experience, it becomes subjective and no longer a fact"....then i guess we have to dismiss ALL opinions , except FROM THOSE , WHO HAVENT PLAYED THE GAME!!! wow....

The problem here is someone who was presenting their opinion as a fact and when asked to provide data to support it they failed.Someone's experience will definitely shape their opinion of something, but it won't make it a fact.

Some might have a hard time figuring out the meaning of the word fact, but it's not an opinion

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

It's a good thing they did it that way. Most players like some challenge in their games. Frankly, core game play is an embarrassment. What kind of sense does it make to have one of the best combat systems of any MMO when players can literally stand in place auto-attacking and still win against most enemies?

this is the standard way. when you have to kill 1000s of them , you dont want each and every one of them to be a mini boss. trash mobs are SUPPOSED to be easy.and if the core game was so horrible, why on earth did you buy the EXPANSION for it?if the foundation(core) was as rotten, as you claim, this game would had shut down years ago.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"castlemanic.3198" said:Even with mounts, HoT is still unenjoyable and too imbalanced for casual players.

Casual has nothing to do with it. I am a casual (a few hours per week) and can and play all the content that gw2 offers.

then you are a skilled player, who plays casually...not a casual player per se. there is a pretty big difference.

My understanding of "casual" is more the mindset of a player who isn't serious about the game. That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad at it or don't put in time on it, though it is probably more likely they share these traits than a hardcore player. By this definition, it means a player who doesn't go for organized group content. Monthly ATs, ranked PvP duo queue, fractal CMs, raids, strikes, etc. That's more the hardcore player's realm.

Just because you mostly just mess around with open world/story, solo roam, or duel and do dailies in PvP doesn't mean you're bad or don't spend time playing, right? But these are pretty casual activities.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

The problem here is someone who was presenting their opinion as a fact and when asked to provide data to support it they failed.Someone's experience will definitely shape their opinion of something, but it won't make it a fact.

Some might have a hard time figuring out the meaning of the word fact, but it's not an opinion

FACT is, that my OPINION has made my close my wallet. come again?

@battledrone.8315 said:

this is the standard way. when you have to kill 1000s of them , you dont want each and every one of them to be a mini boss. trash mobs are SUPPOSED to be easy.and if the core game was so horrible, why on earth did you buy the EXPANSION for it?if the foundation(core) was as rotten, as you claim, this game would had shut down years ago.

I started playing after HoT released because I heard about the crazy maps and excellent combat. I'm glad I didn't try GW2 sooner because I likely never would have given a second look if I had.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

I started playing after HoT released because I heard about the crazy maps and excellent combat. I'm glad I didn't try GW2 sooner because I likely never would have given a second look if I had.

yep, its the expansion, for those who didnt like the game in the first place. it is basically 2 DIFFERENT GAMES....lol

@battledrone.8315 said:FACT is, that my OPINION has made my close my wallet. come again?

Huh? Come again?

I was talking about these:

@castlemanic.3198 said:That's hilarious. HoT IS harder than PoF, that's really plain as day to see. It's not an agenda, it's just fact.

@castlemanic.3198 said:It's not fact 'because' i say so. It just is fact.

Someone who clearly has no idea what the word "fact" means. Which is why an experience presented as fact means nothing if it's not backed up by actual data that makes it a fact. Are you one of those that have no idea what "fact" means?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:FACT is, that my OPINION has made my close my wallet. come again?

Huh? Come again?

@castlemanic.3198 said:That's hilarious. HoT IS harder than PoF, that's really plain as day to see. It's not an agenda, it's just fact.

Someone who clearly has no idea what the word "fact" means. Which is why an experience presented as fact means nothing if it's not backed up by actual data that makes it a fact. Are you one of those that have no idea what "fact" means?

do you? YOU are trying to belittle his opinions based on YOUR agenda. or, are you implying, that he is LYING?

@battledrone.8315 said:

Huh? Come again?

do you? YOU are trying to belittle his opinions based on YOUR agenda. or, are you implying, that he is LYING?

I do know what a fact is. I simply challenged the idea of calling an opinion a fact, lying or not is irrelevant, a fact requires data to back up, otherwise it's not a fact but an opinion. Can you see the difference between fact and opinion?

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Define casual.

Players who primarily focus on open world content, story, and generally explore by themselves, occasionally doing group content with other players if they find events happening.

That really speaks to immense player skill that the average GW2 player doesn't have, and again, I'm talking about the solo experience, where you're going through the maps by yourself, not with groups, just exploring the world.

And like i said, there is a difference between the enemies in HoT and the enemies in PoF.

Again, for the third time in this thread, I've map completed HoT and PoF. The thing with HoT is that it was designed with players roaming in groups, not roaming solo. I was able to complete the content through joining players in events, where the skill needed is lowered through the sheer power of a huge number of players. But solo is a different experience, HoT wasn't designed for the solo casual player, the devs themselves praised this content as being more difficult in press releases if i recall correctly. That was their intent. To make it difficult to solo. That's my point. I'm not saying it's impossible to play through HoT as a solo casual player, I'm saying it's unbalanced for the solo casual player even post nerf. You seem to mistake my stance that enemies in HoT are difficult as in 'they are impossible', which I have never said. As I have stated multiple times in this thread, they are unbalanced for the solo experience, that doesn't mean they're impossible, it just means they're unbalanced.

EDIT: you know what? I should really give HoT another chance. I'll comment on this thread once i give it another shot solo.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

Huh? Come again?

I was emotional, I admit. I apologise for my rash actions. I shouldn't have called my personal experience 'fact'.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@castlemanic.3198 said:Even with mounts, HoT is still unenjoyable and too imbalanced for casual players.

So if a skilled player who plays casually is not a casual, is casual just synonymous for bad player?

@"castlemanic.3198" said:EDIT: you know what? I should really give HoT another chance. I'll comment on this thread once i give it another shot solo.

If you have a "tanky" profession character that you enjoy playing, you may want to choose to play this character through HoT again solo to try it from a different perspective. In my experience squishy professions have a much tougher time solo because you need to be able to avoid high-damage attacks with dodges or are severely punished.