Long load times for maps

Zola.6197

@"Svennis.3852" said:I'm not sure if this is meaningful or helpful for any of you savvy folks, but this is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tH287T

The game is installed on the HDD, though I recently bought a secondary one that may (perhaps) do a better job of running the game if reinstalled there? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2RR55Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the end, I think I may just need to update my CPU. I built this PC about 6 years ago (thought graphics card is newer), so maybe it is just getting old to handle GW2.

I got lost in the back and forth of the thread though, so not sure if there's a good strategy to alleviate this problem in the meantime.

SSD all the way. You'll never look back ! Loading times absolutely suck on mechanical HDD !

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I never said there could not be faster loading times; I merely pointed out that your statement does not hold true in all cases.One person's experience is not the yardstick for all.

That is true (it was your wording that irritated me). However, most people with SSDs that I talked to have similar loading times in GW2, so I assumed it was approximately the same for everyone. I am new to the use of SSDs - this is my first one, and I am super happy I made that decision and can recommend it to others, because the difference is significant in comparison to a HDD (on any system, I assume, high-end and lower ones).

@"Svennis.3852", you can check out several ranking for the best SSDs in 2020 (most that I read had Samsung listed as well):https://www.google.com/search?q=best+ssd+2020

However, most people with SSDs that I talked to have similar loading times in GW2, so I assumed it was approximately the same for everyone.The moment you put an SSD in your PC, your CPU becomes the limiting factor in terms of loading times. So buying a faster CPU will improve your loading times.

All current SSDs (including the old SATA3 ones, that can only move data with 500MB/s) are faster due to their fast data access times than current CPUs can handle.

This is the reason why you won't notice any difference between a SATA3 (AHCI) and a NVMe SSD in terms of loading times, even though the latter are currently up to 14 times faster.

PCs will get a new storage API (direct storage as part of directx12 ultimate) with the next generation of graphics cards. This will allow the GPU to load and decompress the data directly from the SSD to the GPU memory, bypassing the system ram and the CPU. A GPU can decompress data with its shaders much faster than a CPU. This will be the time when you finally can get a benefit from a fast modern NVMe SSD.

If this sounds familiar to anybody here: yes, the PS5 and die xbox series x do the same.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Then, we are even, as most of your posts irritate me. :wink:

Dito.

@KrHome.1920 said:The moment you put an SSD in your PC, your CPU becomes the limiting factor in terms of loading times. So buying a faster CPU will improve your loading times.

I admit that I have a brand new octa core CPU, whose cores run at 4.8 GHz, and twice as much RAM as before, so naturally everything runs a lot faster than on my old rig. I am curious now to learn how much the loading times on a SSD on slower/older systems can vary from my experience - 10 seconds, 30?

PCs will get a new storage API (direct storage as part of directx12 ultimate) with the next generation of graphics cards. This will allow the GPU to load and decompress the data directly from the SSD to the GPU memory, bypassing the system ram and the CPU. A GPU can decompress data with its shaders much faster than a CPU. This will be the time when you finally can get a benefit from a fast modern NVMe SSD.

That's interesting. Thanks for the information! In that case, I will wait a while longer before upgrading my 5 year old graphics card. :+1:

• 2 weeks later...

@KrHome.1920 said:PCs will get a new storage API (direct storage as part of directx12 ultimate) with the next generation of graphics cards.

Which will only work in combination with NVMe SSDs, though. Besides, those graphics cards might not be released until 2022, so it's best to buy whatever card you desire now rather than wait for that new technology.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:PCs will get a new storage API (direct storage as part of directx12 ultimate) with the next generation of graphics cards.

Which will only work in combination with NVMe SSDs, though. Besides, those graphics cards might not be released until 2022, so it's best to buy whatever card you desire
now
rather than wait for that new technology.

Turing and Ampere graphics cards both support full directx12 ultimate, which includes direct storage. Turing cards have been around since 2018 and the first Ampere cards released this month.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Which will only work in combination with NVMe SSDs, though. Besides, those graphics cards might not be released until 2022, so it's best to buy whatever card you desire
now
rather than wait for that new technology.

Turing and Ampere graphics cards both support full directx12 ultimate, which includes direct storage. Turing cards have been around since 2018 and the first Ampere cards released this month.

I was talking about the Direct Storage technology, not DX 12 Ultimate.