Lvl 80 boost oversight

I really just want my complaint heard because I think its a big over site, I don't really expect much to happen.I am new to the game and recently got the dlc since it was on sale. I was really excited about the level 80 boost that comes with it. I loved that it came with a trial because I always struggle to pick a main in mmos. I was very disappointed you can not try elite specialization. After I gave in and used it I decided I didn't really like the elites for the class I chose even after doing allot of research I was kinda bummed but I moved on. I just found out if I go into pvp I can try the elites and it just seems like a huge oversight not to include them in the lvl 80 trial. I would prefer them be included even if you lose access to them after the trial.Like I said I just want to be heard, I mean it would be cool if this was fixed for other players.

@zackypooh.6589 said:I really just want my complaint heard because I think its a big over site, I don't really expect much to happen.I am new to the game and recently got the dlc since it was on sale. I was really excited about the level 80 boost that comes with it. I loved that it came with a trial because I always struggle to pick a main in mmos. I was very disappointed you can not try elite specialization. After I gave in and used it I decided I didn't really like the elites for the class I chose even after doing allot of research I was kinda bummed but I moved on. I just found out if I go into pvp I can try the elites and it just seems like a huge oversight not to include them in the lvl 80 trial. I would prefer them be included even if you lose access to them after the trial.Like I said I just want to be heard, I mean it would be cool if this was fixed for other players.

Sad thing, this game is a “figure it out by yourself type of game”

Next time try all heroes in heart of mist before using the boost.

@Roche.7491 said:

@zackypooh.6589 said:I really just want my complaint heard because I think its a big over site, I don't really expect much to happen.I am new to the game and recently got the dlc since it was on sale. I was really excited about the level 80 boost that comes with it. I loved that it came with a trial because I always struggle to pick a main in mmos. I was very disappointed you can not try elite specialization. After I gave in and used it I decided I didn't really like the elites for the class I chose even after doing allot of research I was kinda bummed but I moved on. I just found out if I go into pvp I can try the elites and it just seems like a huge oversight not to include them in the lvl 80 trial. I would prefer them be included even if you lose access to them after the trial.Like I said I just want to be heard, I mean it would be cool if this was fixed for other players.

Sad thing, this game is a “figure it out by yourself type of game”

Next time try all heroes in heart of mist before using the boost.

I did not even think to look because Im more into pve, I want to know what its like to farm for a bit. you know?

It's not an oversight. One Elite spec is available for experimentation during the trial period, after which you have to obtain Skill Points to unlock skills as per normal. Leveling up (the only thing granted by the Lv 80 Boost) provides enough Skill Points for every Core spec, and it always has. You get the same benefit using literally any other leveling method.

PS: Skills and builds are not restricted in PvP. Try as much as you want there, especially in Edge of the Mists.

@Trise.2865 said:It's not an oversight. One Elite spec is available for experimentation during the trial period, after which you have to obtain Skill Points to unlock skills as per normal. Leveling up (the only thing granted by the Lv 80 Boost) provides enough Skill Points for every Core spec, and it always has. You get the same benefit using literally any other leveling method.

PS: Skills and builds are not restricted in PvP. Try as much as you want there, especially in Edge of the Mists.

Do you have to do something special to equip those specializations? I tried and I did not have assess to either of them. I could change out the normal ones.

@zackypooh.6589 said:

@Trise.2865 said:It's not an oversight. One Elite spec is available for experimentation during the trial period, after which you have to obtain Skill Points to unlock skills as per normal. Leveling up (the only thing granted by the Lv 80 Boost) provides enough Skill Points for every Core spec, and it always has. You get the same benefit using literally any other leveling method.

Do you have to do something special to equip those specializations? I tried and I did not have assess to either of them. I could change out the normal ones.

You can only put elite spec in the third trait line at the bottom.

Yeah, it's kind of lame that you can't try out the E-Specs with the class you boost in PvE (Especially since some do differ from their PvP incarnations, notably, Berserker has increased cooldowns on its Rage skills and so can't maintain Berserk Mode as easily as it does in PvE)

Though, it makes some sense, as people would probably be upset when they lose their E-Specs after confirming their boost as a level 80 boost doesn't confer the 500 HP needed to fully unlock both E-Specs.

@Taril.8619 said:Though, it makes some sense, as people would probably be upset when they lose their E-Specs after confirming their boost as a level 80 boost doesn't confer the 500 HP needed to fully unlock both E-Specs.

Exactly, the Level 80 boost does just that, boost a character to 80. Elite Specs are post level 80 things that come after that and therefor it makes sense for them not to be included in the Trial.

Doesn't seem like an oversight.

Don't be discouraged though OP, booster or not, new characters are easy to get up there.

I do not see why they could not include a try out of Elite specs in the Boost trial, you can't leave Silverwastes after all. They just have to make clear that you will not be keeping the Elite spec once you confirm the Boost. Seems like a simple QoL upgrade of the level 80 Boost that can not be exploited. These Boosts are pretty expensive/rare bonus for buying the expac so I can understand someone would want to make the best choice for it.

Maybe not a huge oversight, but definitely one of the many lacking QoL upgrades that Anet could do.

@Tyncale.1629 said:I do not see why they could not include a try out of Elite specs in the Boost trial, you can't leave Silverwastes after all. They just have to make clear that you will not be keeping the Elite spec once you confirm the Boost. Seems like a simple QoL upgrade of the level 80 Boost that can not be exploited. These Boosts are pretty expensive/rare bonus for buying the expac so I can understand someone would want to make the best choice for it.

Maybe not a huge oversight, but definitely one of the many lacking QoL upgrades that Anet could do.

And what about the people that say they dident see the clear statment that they wouldent get elite specs after boost and want refunds?

@Cronospere.8143 said:They should give a warning not to use the lvl 80 booster if you dont have an lvl 80 already. Because you miss out on a lot (IMO)

seconding this. it seems like very tempting and quick way to skip having to put any effort into the game, but its not really something that should be used unless you know what you are doing (and its kinda frustrating for everyone involved to have new players with virtually no grasp of the game's basic mechanics wandering around elona or heart of maguuma)

also speaking from personal experience (completed the game normally with one character, and slapped a booster on my second character): the booster makes completion of the central tyria map and unlocking the elite spec stuff overwhelming and crushing especially for new players. normally you would rack up good chunk of the map completion while leveling and following the personal story. with the booster you will inevitably be left with mostly untouched map, and basically no hero points to spend on the new shiny elite spec.

@"Cronospere.8143" said:They should give a warning not to use the lvl 80 booster if you dont have an lvl 80 already. Because you miss out on a lot (IMO)

Veterans have been saying this for a while. I have never, ever once seen a new player use an 80 boost and thought "hey, that was a good call."

More so than any other game I can think of, reaching level cap and full exotics in GW2 means so little in terms of enriching your gameplay. Getting to explore the game world and learning other systems really means a lot more here than elsewhere. The 80 boost really sends the wrong message about the game, imo.

@zackypooh.6589 said:I understand its just a boost to 80 but to me the oversight is the boost is something you pay for, the pvp arena not so much. If the boost gives a trial period to try the classes, and the free pvp lets you try elites, I think the trail on the level 80 boost should include trying elites

No the problem is not knowing what you use before you played the game. It is understandable that when you just started you dont know which of the classes is good or which one you like.To be honest. If you like the base class without the elite specs. Why not play that? Its not that big of a deal. Certain activities, professions or situations still dont use elite specs because the core profession is still good.Also. It is possible, that the new expansion in 2021 contains elite specs more of your liking.

Which profession did you take?

@Mutisija.5017 said:

@Cronospere.8143 said:They should give a warning not to use the lvl 80 booster if you dont have an lvl 80 already. Because you miss out on a lot (IMO)

seconding this. it seems like very tempting and quick way to skip having to put any effort into the game, but its not really something that should be used unless you know what you are doing (and its kinda frustrating for everyone involved to have new players with virtually no grasp of the game's basic mechanics wandering around elona or heart of maguuma)

also speaking from personal experience (completed the game normally with one character, and slapped a booster on my second character): the booster makes completion of the central tyria map and unlocking the elite spec stuff overwhelming and crushing especially for new players. normally you would rack up good chunk of the map completion while leveling and following the personal story. with the booster you will inevitably be left with mostly untouched map, and basically no hero points to spend on the new shiny elite spec.

When you use lvl 80 booster you also get access to start farm Mastery, so on one account where those player jump directly into game with things that would take a lot of time like gliding and they will not understand that they need to stay in those map where they follow the same colour and gain xp to progress in that Mastery.

@Tere.4759 said:The level 80 boost is usually used by vet players who have done it all. We never suggest new players use it.

So not many new people use a lvl 80 boost because the community doesn't suggest it? I don't think that's the case. If a new person want to use a lvl 80 boost he will do it, also many players do actually suggest they do it to get the raptor mount unlocked.I'm pretty sure they added the boosts for new players, not for vets that mostly already have all classes at 80.