Following the latest Canthan expansion trailer, how are you feeling?

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:Story is irrelevant in a MMO and GW2's story has never been good.

While mechanics are important, I just have to post a big LOL to this subjective comment. Both remarks.

How much of your game time is story compared to combat and metas/fracts/raids/pvp?

99%

Then you play 2 hours every 3 months I guess?

I think rather his answer was in favour of your argument. 99% game and mechanics compared to 1% story. So those 2 hours would be the story ;)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dondarrion.2748 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:Story is irrelevant in a MMO and GW2's story has never been good.

While mechanics are important, I just have to post a big LOL to this subjective comment. Both remarks.

How much of your game time is story compared to combat and metas/fracts/raids/pvp?

99%

Then you play 2 hours every 3 months I guess?

I think rather his answer was in favour of your argument. 99% game and mechanics compared to 1% story. So those 2 hours would be the story ;)

I am mainly a story player. I log in / come back for new LS episodes, and with x-packs for story and toying around with elite specs. I may dabble around on the new maps and play around with my different characters (as I don't have a profession I'd say THIS is my main), but I usually don't go for achievements or visual cancer triggering meta zerg battles or typical (challenging) endgame content. Metas even less with lags going on. So yes, even though I have had access to GW2 since some time pre-HoT, my actual playtime is quite abysmal. The huge drawback is that my "player skill" hardly -- if at all -- improves and is reset during each "break" :wink: but eh... that's normal. I'm also certainly not the target customer of this genre with my playing habit, but that's another topic.

My enthusiasm is tempered by experience when it comes to game updates.I started my love for this franchise through Guild Wars 1 : Factions. I have a lot of feelings for it, but that also means expectations and when one has expectations they are likely to be disappointed. Therefore, as much as I am looking forward to the expansion, I've decided not to have expectations relating to what I remember of Cantha.I am also holding on to the hope that we get to be play Tengu - and not as a tonic or an instanced mission but I know that is a long shot. It would be difficult to implement, and now even worse with Covid.Still, I absolutely am looking forward to this and will be buying it. If there is some valuable incentive to pre-order, like an art book, or a behind the scenes video, or a statuette of a character I like, I will absolutely get that if I am able.

@Obfuscate.6430 said:My enthusiasm is tempered by experience when it comes to game updates.I started my love for this franchise through Guild Wars 1 : Factions. I have a lot of feelings for it, but that also means expectations and when one has expectations they are likely to be disappointed. Therefore, as much as I am looking forward to the expansion, I've decided not to have expectations relating to what I remember of Cantha.

Considering what a golden goose cantha is as long as it is the same, i doubt many things will change.

@"Kodama.6453" said:Ritualists are not using death magic.Death magic is basically a form of "flesh forging", it takes dead organic matter (muscles, bones, etc) and forms a minion out of it.Ritualist is using the mists, in which the souls of people land after dying, and control the spirits from there.

Revenants are also using mist magic, not death magic.

I find is funny how everyone bought into that one forum users fan fiction and are now using it as a fact to prove why Ritualist has no connection to Revenant.

@Elric.4713 said:

@"Kodama.6453" said:Ritualists are
not
using death magic.Death magic is basically a form of "flesh forging", it takes dead organic matter (muscles, bones, etc) and forms a minion out of it.Ritualist is using the mists, in which the souls of people land after dying, and control the spirits from there.

Revenants are also using
mist magic
, not death magic.

I find is funny how everyone bought into that one forum users fan fiction and are now using it as a fact to prove why Ritualist has no connection to Revenant.

I think Kodama was arguing that Revenants are closer to Ritualists instead of Necromancers.

I chose the Imperial Outfit from the Outfit Selection box that I got from the Anniversary supply drop requisition to get in the mood. :)1197px-Imperial_Outfit.jpg

If the new expac features Housing it's a sure buy, if not well, then it probably still is a sure buy, unless it truly lacks a game changing feature. New lands and new Elite spec will not be enough. New Class, maybe, new Race, yes if it involves new lowbie leveling grounds where I can level the new character the old way. Well, I will buy it anyway, but I could be disappointed.

I know virtually nothing about what it'll feature, what changes it will bring and whether or not I'll like them.

We're going to Cantha. Cool; that's exciting. I know I'll like that much at least, probably.

Until I know more, there's nothing for me to be terribly excited about, and I'm certainly not going to spend a single cent on something before I even know what I'm buying.

I remain unconvinced it will be good, PoF was terrible. So im holding out and waiting as cantha was the birthplace of my guild wars journey and my introduction to this world we all love; But if its just another PoF I think ill pass honestly. I want something like HoT that is vastly different to what has come before, that offers something no expansion has offered before and I want the E-specs to be good and not either boring or just over-hyped/over-tuned to sell the expansion.

This time they are gonna have to earn their money, Im done blindly following because I love tyria and guild wars. Im done being their fan, now im just a customer.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@Obfuscate.6430 said:My enthusiasm is tempered by experience when it comes to game updates.I started my love for this franchise through Guild Wars 1 : Factions. I have a lot of feelings for it, but that also means expectations and when one has expectations they are likely to be disappointed. Therefore, as much as I am looking forward to the expansion, I've decided not to have expectations relating to what I remember of Cantha.

Considering what a golden goose cantha is as long as it is the same, i doubt many things will change.

Which is why I am less than enthused to pay for slightly different maps than I played 12 years ago.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:I remain unconvinced it will be good, PoF was terrible. So im holding out and waiting as cantha was the birthplace of my guild wars journey and my introduction to this world we all love; But if its just another PoF I think ill pass honestly. I want something like HoT that is vastly different to what has come before, that offers something no expansion has offered before and I want the E-specs to be good and not either boring or just over-hyped/over-tuned to sell the expansion.

This time they are gonna have to earn their money, Im done blindly following because I love tyria and guild wars. Im done being their fan, now im just a customer.

As much as I want it to be awesome, I gotta agree. You are probably right. Pof had way too short of a story. Also while the maps were very large and just overall visually stunning upgrades from Gw1 they were just so empty.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@"Obfuscate.6430" said:My enthusiasm is tempered by experience when it comes to game updates.I started my love for this franchise through Guild Wars 1 : Factions. I have a lot of feelings for it, but that also means expectations and when one has expectations they are likely to be disappointed. Therefore, as much as I am looking forward to the expansion, I've decided not to have expectations relating to what I remember of Cantha.

Which is why I am less than enthused to pay for slightly different maps than I played 12 years ago.

While I agree the Pof maps lack content, "slightly different " is an understatement because they are alot better in Gw2.

@Kadsik.9281 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:I remain unconvinced it will be good, PoF was terrible. So im holding out and waiting as cantha was the birthplace of my guild wars journey and my introduction to this world we all love; But if its just another PoF I think ill pass honestly. I want something like HoT that is vastly different to what has come before, that offers something no expansion has offered before and I want the E-specs to be good and not either boring or just over-hyped/over-tuned to sell the expansion.

As much as I want it to be awesome, I gotta agree. You are probably right. Pof had way too short of a story. Also while the maps were very large and just overall visually stunning upgrades from Gw1 they were just so empty.

Which in fairness, captures the aspect of a desert quite well!

@SlateSloan.3654 said:After Shiro was defeated in GW1 the Jade Sea started it's first processes to turn fluid again. So I think we will see some underwater content, maybe why they already made the skinner be able to dive now.

Since the developer crew and responsibles changed alot in arenanet everything and nothing can happen :D

I think many will agree that The quality of the releases, although it has bene improving, has been below expectations. So maybe the changes will be beneficial to the game and bring a breath of fresh content and ideas (hopefully good ones)