Guild Wars 2 Development Ideas

Natta.8905

Hi, I've been playing Guild Wars 2 for about 5 years now and I would like to give you some ideas that you could have for Guild Wars 2 as either a mastery skill or an expansion. One is that it would have been fun if you could create a playable mermaid race/breed that you could have in an underwater world. Or that you could have the mermaid in a mastery skill and that then your character could get a fin/tail as soon as you go underwater and that you could then swim, throughout Tyria.The second is that you could have an underwater mount that you could ride on and fight against other animals, like in the story, under the sea/ocean. In that case, it would be a new mount and not a mount that already existed, such as the skimmer that already exists. It could be a mount such as a seahorse or another mount. With the hope that you got a couple of ideas that could be implemented in an otherwise amazing game.

I agree Goettel but I appreciate what all thinks too. : )I just feel it should be fun to have a new underwater mount for an underwater world. It is like when the skyscale came as well as griffon. To compare both: They both fly. An underwater mount would only be used under the sea.

@Natta.8905 said:I agree Goettel but I appreciate what all thinks too. : )I just feel it should be fun to have a new underwater mount for an underwater world. It is like when the skyscale came as well as griffon. To compare both: They both fly. An underwater mount would only be used under the sea.

the griffon and skyscale do different things though. It's not like they have the exact same mechanics, griffons primarily glide but can dive to gain speed and then climb into the sky again to regain their original height, making them able to speed across maps faster than the roller beetle if given enough height. Skyscales can hover, which the griffon can't, and can go vertically higher than the springer, which the griffon can't do. Skyscales can also climb cliffs and get to heights that the griffon cannot from the ground. They both have different mechanics and different ways of working, simplifying that down to 'they both fly' is missing the point.

So what can an underwater mount do that the skimmer cannot do? If you have ideas about what another underwater mount could do that's different from the skimmer, I'm all ears.

@Natta.8905 said:One is that it would have been fun if you could create a playable mermaid race/breed that you could have in an underwater world. Or that you could have the mermaid in a mastery skill and that then your character could get a fin/tail as soon as you go underwater and that you could then swim, throughout Tyria.

A new playable race has a whole host of problems.

A mastery skill could function. Though, what it would add beyond being simply a graphical change or speed increase would need to be defined. Given we literally have Skimmer for increased swimming speed and baseline, swimming is faster than walking...

@Natta.8905 said:The second is that you could have an underwater mount that you could ride on and fight against other animals, like in the story, under the sea/ocean. In that case, it would be a new mount and not a mount that already existed, such as the skimmer that already exists. It could be a mount such as a seahorse or another mount.

A new underwater mount could be interesting, especially one that has some form of gimmick related to how you use it (For example, an underwater version of the Roller Beetle)

Though, given that they simply added the ability to go underwater to the Skimmer rather than creating a new underwater mount suggests that they're done with adding more mounts.

Mounted combat seems unlikely. Given the way that mounts work with their separate health bars. It's possible but not very likely.

If you had a mermaid character then it would be swimming faster than your character when it swims normally without a mount. As for the mount I think Tarils sugestion sounds interesting, an underwater version of the Roller Beetle could maybe work. But we shall see. : )

@Natta.8905 said:If you had a mermaid character then it would be swimming faster than your character when it swims normally without a mount.

That part guarantees ANet would not do this. They designed the races to have cosmetic differences only, so that players would not feel forced to take a certain race for game mechanics reasons. Even some racial elites got nerfed once players found ways to use them to outperform other races lacking access to those elites.

Do read up on the many other threads through the years asking for new races. It's not impossible ANet might make one, but is very unlikely since it's a huge amount of work and expense (animations, story, possible new starter map, ten voice actors x however many languages they localize to) for a cosmetic alternative. If they do make one it will be something lore-compatible with art and animation assets transferable from what they already have. The closest you are likely to come to your mermaid wish is if the largos become playable when we come up against Bubbles. Or possibly a tonic or infusion that is marked to only function underwater.

I think that Astyrahs; an open world - underwater world boss or meta might be something we never had yet, sounds like a good idea. As for the mermaid it can be as a mastery skill or tonic or as an achievement or maybe even an infusion like you Donari suggests. Both these things sounds also interesting. : )

@Natta.8905 said:The mermaid must to be a new character it can be an upgrade skill or something for your own character regardless which race you have as a character. It can also be an account bound so you can use it on all your characters.

If it's only about swimming speed, there's infusions for it in the game.If it's about looking like a mermaid because you like mermaids, you might want to consider that not everyone has the same fondness for this sort of thing.

I still go for my answer that I had before: I think that Astyrahs; an open world - underwater world boss or meta might be something we never had yet, sounds like a good idea. As for the mermaid it can be as a mastery skill or tonic or as an achievement or maybe even an infusion like you Donari suggests. Both these things sounds also interesting. : )

I want to thank everyone who has viewed and also made a commentary on this idea. The idea was just a thought that had crossed my mind and since this was my first time on writing on the forum, I just thought it would be nice to know what you thought about it. I asked the supporters first and they then afterwards recommended that I should wrote here. :)

It would be nice to play a mermaid world. I have seen that in most mermaids games you have to say where you want your character to go instead of like in this game where you actually move your character where you want to go. That is what I like about this game and that is why I suggested a mermaid world since there are not many mermaid games that are for all ages.

If the mermaid where a new race/character that you could create than it would be a volunteer for all players for both those who want one in an underwater world and for those who do not want one. It is like the characters we choose now, we can either create that race or choose not to. The underwater world whould be where you could both explore new creatures and fight against an underwater sea monster (similar to the Loch Ness monster).