Shadow of the Mad King & Wintersday 2020

Darbii.5134

Hey all. Just was getting around to thinking about what a cruddy year it's been, with the pandemic raging on, people not being able to see their family and friends, and just overall the fact that it still feels like the date is March 172. In light of that, I thought I'd post about the Shadow of the Mad King & Wintersday 2020 events in Guild Wars 2. I can say that personally these two holidays are my utmost favorites, both in real life and in-game. I love the activities that they bring to the table as well as the exciting atmosphere.

My hope for this year is that ANet goes all out for both holidays since a great many of us will be stuck at home. In light of everything that has been cruddy this year, it would be awesome to see the old events mixed with new events and activities. With that in mind, I figured I'd make a thread and see if any of you guys have any ideas for possible events or activities that you would want to see in the game. :smiley:

Id love to get more stuff and activities to do for these holidays. Though I doubt they will be able to give us too much.I would, however, really appreciate it for Wintersday in particular if it was made easier to join the various mini game activity things with a specific group. Maybe up the rewards on em too, because I've always enjoyed things like the tower defense style game and capture the flag games, but it is near impossible to... you know...play with your friends?Just tired of feeling like the games could be fun to play, but they're both unrewarding and can't be enjoyed with the people you want to spend time with.I didn't play much last Wintersday so I apologize if this has already been changed but I doubt it.

@vier.1327 said:It would be great.

This long month of March is killing me. It is like the summer never came this year.

You obviously don't live in Phoenix, Arizona. The previous record for the most days of 110+ in a year was 33. Last I heard, we were at 50. So, yeah, summer definitely came this year.

I'm all for new stuff for the holidays, but will admit that Halloween to Wintersday usually burns me out. This year may be different, since my daughter and brother started playing.

Love these two events the most. It's cos I love the winter part of the year anyway.

It would be nice to have some new events. I think we're quite late to make any suggestions for this year, but for example I enjoy collection quests with a story. Like the new skimmer underwater mastery quest, or the kinds you sometimes get with legendary weapons... Basically having to find something.

And the most importanterestest thing attached to these quests: new skins :)

There will definitely be more of the same. Exactly how it was in 2019, and I don't blame them for that. If something new arrives, there will be new Haunted weapon skins and some exclusive festival helmet or shoulder. The Mad King Festival is the best of the year for me, I wouldn't think it was bad if the same things came in 2019. But Wintersday is a waste of time and very boring, as they have disgusting events, very nauseating and ridiculous skins of weapons.

@lummuss.6850 said:There will definitely be more of the same. Exactly how it was in 2019, and I don't blame them for that. If something new arrives, there will be new Haunted weapon skins and some exclusive festival helmet or shoulder. The Mad King Festival is the best of the year for me, I wouldn't think it was bad if the same things came in 2019. But Wintersday is a waste of time and very boring, as they have disgusting events, very nauseating and ridiculous skins of weapons.

I mean, given the state of things in the world, I'd not be surprised if they didn't give us much in the way of new things, but one can be hopeful? The Halloween event, regardless, is a blast. I've always loved doing the maze a million times over.

Not sure I follow on what is 'disgusting' about the Wintersday events? Can you elaborate?

@Darbii.5134 said:

@"lummuss.6850" said:There will definitely be more of the same. Exactly how it was in 2019, and I don't blame them for that. If something new arrives, there will be new Haunted weapon skins and some exclusive festival helmet or shoulder. The Mad King Festival is the best of the year for me, I wouldn't think it was bad if the same things came in 2019. But Wintersday is a waste of time and very boring, as they have disgusting events, very nauseating and ridiculous skins of weapons.

I mean, given the state of things in the world, I'd not be surprised if they didn't give us much in the way of new things, but one can be hopeful? The Halloween event, regardless, is a blast. I've always loved doing the maze a million times over.

Not sure I follow on what is 'disgusting' about the Wintersday events? Can you elaborate?

I say "disgusting" because those mini maps where some events happen are very tedious. The acquisition of winterdays gifts is very boring and time consuming. The Snowman raid is a very boring thing (unlike the Mad King raid that can drop the bat wing). They were supposed to create a crowded map of Christmas monsters, in which players should unite to play and collect gifts together.

@lummuss.6850 said:

@lummuss.6850 said:There will definitely be more of the same. Exactly how it was in 2019, and I don't blame them for that. If something new arrives, there will be new Haunted weapon skins and some exclusive festival helmet or shoulder. The Mad King Festival is the best of the year for me, I wouldn't think it was bad if the same things came in 2019. But Wintersday is a waste of time and very boring, as they have disgusting events, very nauseating and ridiculous skins of weapons.

I say "disgusting" because those mini maps where some events happen are very tedious. The acquisition of winterdays gifts is very boring and time consuming. The Snowman raid is a very boring thing (unlike the Mad King raid that can drop the bat wing). They were supposed to create a crowded map of Christmas monsters, in which players should unite to play and collect gifts together.

Did they add a 10 man raid to hallowen?The batwing one is 1-5 like all dungeons.

• 2 weeks later...

@lokh.2695 said:Events are mostly frozen in time so that ANet can switch them on/off automatically. They will probably add a skin or two but I doubt that anything really new will happen just because our real life sitation is far from optimal.

Tho maybe they can bring back The Reliquary? that would be at least a bit of something from the past that they haven't brought back. It was in BC so maybe they don't want to separate the events from LA.

For me the Mad King event is the best event in gw2. My favorite aspect of the event is the labyrinth. My favorite part of the labyrinth, is the Labyrinthine Horror.

I've always loved that "boss", love running through the maze and getting that oh shit feeling of its coming after me. The one thing I dislike about it, is that its killable. It kind of takes away the fun and horror aspect of it imo. It would be awesome if a sqaud had to just run or hide when the thing was coming, instead of just killing it like any other boss.

What I'd like to see is Anet implement a game mode themed around the Labyrinthine Horror, where you can't kill it and you have to either run or hide from it, you can't see it coming, and you can only hear the buzzing of its chainsaw when its approaching. You'd have to collet things to win/escape i'd imagine, perhaps like an 8pages kind of thing, or pac-man.