What unnecessary mechanics would you include in the game?

Figured this might be a fun topic, what kinds of things that would probably cost more development time and money than they're worth would you want in the game?

My personal thing is having a boat with a canon/some sort of long ranged attack and climbing walls/cliff faces (i know we have the springer and skyscale that already invalidates this, i did say it's unnecessary)

What would you add?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the ability to decorate home instances like we can with guild halls and/or new private instances we can buy or claim and then decorate. It would be easy to monetise but I'm still not sure it would be worth the time required and it wouldn't really add anything to the overall game. I'm not even sure if I want it because Elder Scrolls Online has that system and I still have mixed feelings about the amount of time (and gold) I've spent decorating my homes in that game.

Also the ability to name mounts like you can with ranger pets.

Decorating home instance and/or being able to move around where the home instance nodes are.Can my kill proofs for raids just be bringing people to my home instance where I have a bunch of prisoners speared to the walls with a ton of junk stacked in the middle?

Oh, almost forgot, on the topic of home instance things I've also always wanted them to add some sort of library type thing somewhere, where you can store all those books you get from various places. I always feel bad deleting them but I also dont want them eating inventory space. Was thinking it could kinda function like how you can put the books back in the Astralarium in Istan.

Some of these would eat tons of resources, others would just be funny or completely useless:

• Raindrop animations on water
  • Minis can be leveled and grant passive boons to you, like MF, karma gain, gold-gain, exp gain.
  • Chewing/Drinking animation for food
  • /hug, /applaud and /kiss emote
  • Login Screen changes depending on the race of the character, with animated backgrounds (brids, walking people, robots, animals)
  • mount-riding animations for combat-tonics (including mini- and super-size)
  • Falling damage for NPCs = ability to knock them off a cliff
  • Customize-able death-animations, similar to finishers but for your own defeat in PvE
  • Customize-able level-up animations
  • notepad with several pages
  • calculator-plugin
  • guild-emblem animations
  • /pet emote for ranger-pets, can be performed by any player
  • show only favorites option for all crafting professions
  • favorites/focused option on the achievement-page, enough space to fit up to 30 tasks
  • customize-able content guide, checkboxes for all things it should or should not show
  • ingame profile you can customize and manage view rights (all/guild/friends). Also accessible via the offical page.
  • communicator in the style of ICQ/MSN/AIM to communicate with several people at once. With an additional plugin to emulate discord.
  • calendar with notes/dates you can add in and reminders that pop up when you log in that day
  • time-converter (all time-zones) with the option to show an alternative time-zone when hovering over the time with the mouse
  • notification-system about missing/lowlevel gear on a level 80 character, like missing aqua-breather or too weak trinkets (e.g. when they are level 60)
  • weekly ingame player surveys, about satsifaction in general but also to collect feedback on recent patches (optional, but with some loot as reward)

Couples dancing, eg vintage waltz or polka. Something that actually links two consenting characters together while whirling about. Bonus points if the dancers can hear appropriate music while dancing and if they can initiate special moves like a twirl out-and-in. (Side benefit: Would possibly use the same tech needed for passengers on mounts).

I think that matches the OP's parameters for suggestions :D

Movement:Ducking, crouching, climbing ladders (up AND down, looking at you TERA), climbing terrain/parkour, surfing (+wave mechanics on water that push/pull).

Lifeskills:Housing, Fishing, Farming

Unrelated:Body-blocking mechanic that works for everyone that has it turned on (disabled by default)

1)Remove the ''Collide with everything'' option for new accounts ....Show the fluency of the engine...2)Offer them a portal between the starting area and the Silverwaste for 3 days , if they choose to use the Boost . (in order to avoid messages -''how to get out'')3)Sent them an in game mail when they use the boost , where they can choose 3 portals : a) Play the era of harmony (Vanilia) , b) era of actions (PoF) , c) better avoid the era of Torture (HoT) .4) Allow people to unlock the episodes of PoF for free (one every 4 days) , but they sign a contract , where get reduced (60%) gold/loot for 4 months (exept from Raids or any other event you want to funnel them , or in the HoT area) . Starting June-Semptember of 2021 .If Steam get released on November , they will need 4-5 months to learn the ''ropes''and around that time they will try to maximize their goldc) Create a sidequest , telling them : ''On the 6th day we will pay a visit in the PvP + WvWvW area , but if you wish we can do it in 24 hours!''

@castlemanic.3198 said:Figured this might be a fun topic, what kinds of things that would probably cost more development time and money than they're worth would you want in the game?

My personal thing is having a boat with a canon/some sort of long ranged attack and climbing walls/cliff faces (i know we have the springer and skyscale that already invalidates this, i did say it's unnecessary)

What would you add?What indeed? Practically every suggestion thread made in the forum would qualify.

@Raknar.4735 said:Movement:Ducking, crouching, climbing ladders (up AND down, looking at you TERA), climbing terrain/parkour, surfing (+wave mechanics on water that push/pull).

this got me thinking of another totally unnecessary thing: what about first person view arms/models? we have a first person mode, a fov slider, and action camera. now we just need to finish it off with first person arm+weapons models

Well, i have always been an advocate for: if the game is about fighting and killing, there should be copious amonts of blood and gore. Even something small like in an old game i played years ago called, Requiem: memento mori, i think it was called would be better than that the enemies simply keel over and vanish into a better place. Truly funny when you dismember an enemy, they fall and start twitching before they take their last breat. Hilarious!