Claw to Claw: A renegade grandmaster trait concept

KingJake.6529

The idea for the change on this new trait was how inspiring reinforcement works underwater. When underwater, inspiring reinforcement creates a dome around the revenant,making it generate the stability inside of it. This made me think “what if they made a grandmaster trait that changes kalla in this way?”. This will also make kalla work underwater which would fix one of the major issues of renegade.

Inspiring Reinforcement underwater:

https://imgur.com/a/wpZhqad

Why should we care, which trait would it replace and how can this improve the renegade's gameplay?

Well because it would be an interesting mechanic that could give renegade a more aggressive playstyle in PvP, WvW and even open world. PvE using kalla. I personally don’t see much use of it in High End content such as fractals or Raids hence the reason why this should be a grandmaster trait instead of a change that should be done to the class overall. It gives us (the players) choice between playing in a ranged or melee play style whenever we want, It flows perfectly in the philosophy of “I give up something in exchange for something that could be beneficial for me”. The old trait that this new trait would replace is the Vindication trait.

How would it be implemented, how about AoE size?

The new trait should replace the old vindication trait, the trait description should be something around the lines of “Claw to Claw: Gaining Kalla’s Fervor grants you might. Lose the ability to use Legendary Renegade skills on range, instead, they are casted on the revenant”. The AoE size should preferably be around 350 range which would be more than enough range (unless is suggested bigger or smaller otherwise), It would make the aoe 50 range bigger than inspiring reinforcement, however the profession specific buffs would be 600 range so it wouldn’t be too obnoxious on the enemy player and still provide those buffs. Of course some of the abilities would need to be changed in competitive game modes such as Darkrazor’s Daring making so it only applies 1 second of daze when traited

Hypothetical AoE Size

https://imgur.com/a/yEWVkrI

rework the renegade so the spirits are like auras around the revenant, an outline. Then the utility effect is going on around the revenant and is mobile; Skills like Icerazor could be turned into a targeted ability that fires projectiles at five enemies near the target. This then means Renegade is more useable and not so unwieldy. We see this if you trait a scourge with harbinger shroud, should be similar but ever present making renegade have some defenses around it to make it feel truly aggressive in how it should play. (Could work well with shiro?)

Rework the trailine completely, its a mess and honestly none of the traits really feel that great. I feel like they need more.... well... stuff outside of just kalla's fervor and effecting her commands. Perhaps more power for the Renegade, I really do think that since Kalla was a Guerrilla warfare combatant that her kit and traitline should reflect this in application and execution.

No to both commenters. Vindication is fine and is a nice way to sustain 25 stacks of might without an outside source or feeling like you have to press F2 off CD. It’s useful for open world and potentially useful for WvW/pvp builds.

Renegade is fine overall. A few traits are lackluster, but the line isn’t so messed up it requires a full rework. Most traits have their uses somewhere. The spec overall adds a different gameplay style as well as provides multiple builds for PvE. It’s effective in PvP when built properly and can be used in small group/roaming WvW if you know what you’re doing with it. As to Thornwolf’s suggestion to turn them into effects on the revenant in a radius, big no from me. Pretty much all of revenant already does that to some extent and it sounds considerably less interesting than the current more tactical spirit gameplay.

I don't think the modified casting would be worth it since "Fast With Range Indicator" ground targeting option exists. With that option aiming the cursor at your feet and tapping the button does the same thing.

Also I like Vindication the way it is now and wouldn't want this mechanic change attached to the might generation I enjoy.