Before deleting a character all gear needs to be unequiped...

@Linken.6345 said:You do know that people use throw away characters to delete all the items you have to type out name to destroy right?So cant get behind this bags need to be empty idea.

Still characters should be naked before the name is un-grayed. I only seen a few things that needed verification before deleting. Almost everything is right-click and destroy. At least there should be a double make sure prompt with a list of premium items that are going to be destroyed.

I can get behind what OP proposes as advice when deleting characters, but not as a hard requirement that the game imposes.

And yes, as noted, CS will replace the items (a CS-generated mail to the next character that logs in). Or they'll restore the character, but most likely they'll replace the items.

How do I know this?

Well, um, I once deleted a character who still had the "Unbreakable" set of plain permanent harvesting tools equipped. I realised immediately what I had done, acknowledged to myself that it was my own stupid fault(1) (I had cleaned everything else off the character...) and put in a ticket.

(1) Any time this happens, sad to say, and whether or not it's a stupid fault, it's the player's own fault one way or another. He/she did what I did, or left the PC unlocked with the game logged in and a malicious sibling or drunk roommate deleted the character, or something else, whatever. It's the player's fault for doing that, and I include myself in that. I think I'm currently at three successful restorations of stuff or characters following dumb-as-rocks unintended deletions, two here and one in SWTOR. (Er, SWTOR deletes the selected character, not the one whose name you're looking at... GW2 might be like that as well.)

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Or, we could just check to make sure we've removed anything we want to keep.

Like the multitude of key-runner characters deleted each week.

Fear not, the CS Team will replace your items.

I thought I did check everything. Gathering tool slots and underwater slots are easy to overlook. It's not a common occurrence that players delete a level 80 character. I don't intend to delete a level 80 character again.

@DaFishBob.6518 said:You already have to type in the name of the character before you can delete it. How about a notification of items still on the character during that process?

Not a hard thing to do and is not complicated. Keep the name greyed out with a warning that all gear that you don't want must get moved to the starter storage bag or deleted.

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:...of everything and bags need to be empty before accepting the characters name.

One should unequip the bags as well, as most can be reused by other characters or sold.

I lost a set of permanent harvesting tools because I forgot to unequip them first. I do have a support ticket submitted. This shouldn't have happened even by accident.

Well, yes, the current loadout system is anything but ideal. Still, when this happens, it is your fault, not the system's. And yes, it was an accident, accidents happen - I hope support will help you. :+1:

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:

@DaFishBob.6518 said:You already have to type in the name of the character before you can delete it. How about a notification of items still on the character during that process?

Not a hard thing to do and is not complicated. Keep the name greyed out with a warning that all gear that you don't want must get moved to the starter storage bag or deleted.

Just a question: How do you know it's not hard to do and not complicated? Unless you have full access to Anet's source code there's no way to know. We do know, however, that the code in the game engine is highly complex and a change like this would likely involve several different data storage elements as well as UI elements so there's multiple things that could break. If you're really lucky the change will affect timing dependant things such that something seemingly unrealted breaks. (Yes, sadly I know this from experience - I made a trivial change to a complex program which resulted in several timings breaking up, leading to multiple problems. Not pretty.)

It's likely safer and cheaper to service the few support tickets than to design, code, debug, etcetera a change like this in the code. (And no, before you turn the tables on me, I don't claim to know that it's hard, I just assume that itmight not be easy.) :)

Just saying, the last I heard, they weren't able to restore deleted characters at this time. (Hope that's changed.)

I know the time I accidentally deleted a key farmer with a piece of important equipment equipped, they had to restore the whole character for me to get it back. So I don't know if it's as easy or even possible to get your deleted stuff replaced at the moment.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I think people should go onto the character to be deleted and verify that there is nothing on it that they want. This is what I do. There does not need to be further hand holding because players are not being careful

People don't delete level 80 characters every day. People can't be perfect 100% of the time. Nothing wrong with making the game idiot proof.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I think people should go onto the character to be deleted and verify that there is nothing on it that they want. This is what I do. There does not need to be further hand holding because players are not being careful

People don't delete level 80 characters every day. People can't be perfect 100% of the time. Nothing wrong with making the game idiot proof.

And what about those that delete characters and don’t care if the gear gets deleted? Are they now expected to delete all the gear manually? I don’t see why people need to be inconvenienced further because of others who are not careful. I remember a thread last year of someone requested a confirmation box on top of an already existing one because they got too used to it and would accidentally hit ok.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:Just saying, the last I heard, they weren't able to restore deleted characters at this time. (Hope that's changed.)

I know the time I accidentally deleted a key farmer with a piece of important equipment equipped, they had to restore the whole character for me to get it back. So I don't know if it's as easy or even possible to get your deleted stuff replaced at the moment.

I don.t need to have a character restored. I have a record of buying my missing tools. All they have to do is verify my purchase and see that my 5 remaining toons do not have the tools I lost. There should be periodic backups of everyone's data to refer to.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

And what about those that delete characters and don’t care if the gear gets deleted? Are they now expected to delete all the gear manually? I don’t see why people need to be inconvenienced further because of others who are not careful. I remember a thread last year of someone requested a confirmation box on top of an already existing one because they got too used to it and would accidentally hit ok.

It's not a big deal about making a warning that equipped account bound gear will get deleted. I'm not talking about the useless soul bound items. No need to be so negative of such a simple thing.

It's not a big deal about making a warning that equipped account bound gear will get deleted. I'm not talking about the useless soul bound items. No need to be so negative of such a simple thing.

You’re already given a warning about this when you go to delete the character. There doesn’t need to be an additional warning because some people chose to ignore the first one.

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:...of everything and bags need to be empty before accepting the characters name. I lost a set of permanent harvesting tools because I forgot to unequip them first. I do have a support ticket submitted. This shouldn't have happened even by accident.

The most important question is why? Why did you have them on a character you intend to throw away? I would imagine in this game, the only reason for throw away characters other than deleting items would be farming legendary explorations as they're per character. Just buy the expendable toolsets for those characters.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:...of everything and bags need to be empty before accepting the characters name. I lost a set of permanent harvesting tools because I forgot to unequip them first. I do have a support ticket submitted. This shouldn't have happened even by accident.

The most important question is why? Why did you have them on a character you intend to throw away? I would imagine in this game, the only reason for throw away characters other than deleting items would be farming legendary explorations as they're per character. Just buy the expendable toolsets for those characters.

You're assuming that the character was created with the intention of throwing it away (and yes, in such a case, equipping Gem Store items on the character might not be worth doing(1)). @Carnius Magius.8091 merely said that he/she deleted the character. People delete characters for all kinds of reasons, only some of which are planned earlier.

(1) A Gift-of-Exploration farmer character can easily be used for gathering during the map completion, and having a set non-consumable tools that you pass from one to another might be a good thing there. Well, provided you take care to always recover the tools before moving to the next one...

Why, though? See my post earlier where I admitted that it was my own stupid fault when I deleted the character without recovering the tools. We as players must take personal responsibility for our actions.

And besides, what will you ask for when you put a set of tools in your starter bag and then delete the character anyway?

While I'm sympathetic, I don't think that we need to require players to unequip everything from a character just to delete it.

If they add a warning dialogue, I hope it's only to characters level 60 or higher. That way it doesn't inconvenience players who have tried a character and didn't like it, but keeps players with characters who are likely to have valuable items on them from deleting them by accident.

I'm just fine however with how things are and would put this low on my priority list of QoL.

• 4 weeks later...