Don't you just hate being the hero all the time?

Cynder.2509

@"Lynx.9058" said:Then every mission in the starter areas is "help this farmer, help that rancher, harvest some apples..." and I'm just thinking "what self respecting necromancer would care about any of this?"

The kind that doesn't want too much attention.

Keeping up appearances so you seem like a normal well adjusted person, while in your off time you're experimenting on corpses trying to perfect reanimation and abusing dark magic as much as you can.

An example of this can be found in the LW4 episode Long Live the Lich. Where you have to investigate the farm. When you go talk to Sabil, everyone's like "He's a pillar of the community!" and you talk to him and he seems fairly normal.

Then you find out that he's got his dead wife lying in his bed, he released the scarab plague on the local doctor, planted scarab eggs in the villages crops and is taking orders from Joko...

Sometimes, being overtly evil and corrupted is a good way to get yourself arrested or killed in a fantasy setting... Better to act like a normal person and hide your dark hobbies, your literal skeletons in the closet...

Of course, the flip side is, not every Necromancer is evil. The best example of this is Trahearne. He is a Necromancer, but all he wants to do is cleanse Orr from corruption. He even mentions how his minions aren't "Undead" and are instead just animated flesh (Which I guess technically makes the Necromancer class more accurately "Fleshmancers" or "Golemancers" than actual "Necromancers" if they aren't manipulating the dead... Which seems to be the case all their skills are about manipulating souls and life force with Scourge being a Sand Mage...)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Taril.8619" said:Of course, the flip side is, not every Necromancer is evil. The best example of this is Trahearne. He is a Necromancer, but all he wants to do is cleanse Orr from corruption. He even mentions how his minions aren't "Undead" and are instead just animated flesh (Which I guess technically makes the Necromancer class more accurately "Fleshmancers" or "Golemancers" than actual "Necromancers" if they aren't manipulating the dead... Which seems to be the case all their skills are about manipulating souls and life force with Scourge being a Sand Mage...)

I just wanna correct this bit.

"The flip side is, only a few necromancers are evil"

Most necromancers do just fine in society. They may be viewed as weird or creepy, but they aren't evil. Hell you can find one, a priest of Grenth wandering the Queensdale graveyard during the day, lamenting that he can't be there during the night to find and help a ghost find rest.

@"Lynx.9058" said:Initially I was going to make my human character a necromancer, royalty background with the dead sister, with the thought process being a magically adept human child raised by nobility might have turned to dark magic after his sister died, and because of his family's status nobody would give it a second look as that magic corrupted him and turned him into a psychopath bent on controlling death.

Then every mission in the starter areas is "help this farmer, help that rancher, harvest some apples..." and I'm just thinking "what self respecting necromancer would care about any of this?"

So I gave up on that character idea and made him a thief instead.

Not all necromancers are evil or Psychopaths. Guild Wars Necromancers =/= other setting Necromancers. It's a dark magic, but is not inherently evil.

• 4 weeks later...

@"Taril.8619" said:Of course, the flip side is, not every Necromancer is evil. The best example of this is Trahearne. He is a Necromancer, but all he wants to do is cleanse Orr from corruption. He even mentions how his minions aren't "Undead" and are instead just animated flesh (Which I guess technically makes the Necromancer class more accurately "Fleshmancers" or "Golemancers" than actual "Necromancers" if they aren't manipulating the dead... Which seems to be the case all their skills are about manipulating souls and life force with Scourge being a Sand Mage...)

Was thinking about this, late reply yes but Trahearne's line is more about the fact they were in a mission to secure a relic, and thus he used crafted minions that were never a living person. Because Zhaitan could corrupt a corpse or a living person and gain their knowledge, but a kitbashed minion wouldn't be corrupted (just destroyed) and Zhaitan would gain nothing.

You can find a necromancer in Kessex hills who tasks you in an event to collect the bodies of slain merchants/travelers, who she then explicitly uses to create flesh golems from.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Jimbru.6014" said:I don't mind being the hero. What I do mind is not being treated like a hero. After all, The Commander has "only" led the way in saving the world about half a dozen times by this point, so I'd appreciate it greatly if characters like Anise and Rytlock would start keeping their backhanded "compliments" and negative "jokes" to themselves. As Jormag suggested, it's time The Commander started being treated with the respect we deserve.

One of the things that makes me laugh in all MMOs is when the quest giver (renown heart npc) says "Thanks for saving us from certain doom!" and then follows it with "Pay up for that piece of merch". Capitalism trumps gratitude in every corner of Tyria.

@"Lynx.9058" said:Then every mission in the starter areas is "help this farmer, help that rancher, harvest some apples..." and I'm just thinking "what self respecting necromancer would care about any of this?"

GW2 necromancy is strangely okay with the general populous. There are even grade school aged children who play at it, shouting "Rise my minions" as if constructing servants out of rotting flesh was the equivalent of training dogs or building robots.

It's perfectly in keeping with the way Tyria sees necromancy that they'd be helping out at the local ranch and orchard.