What if the Plague survived?

EdwinLi.1284

So while everyone else are talking about Dragons let us discuss something that may or may not return in Cantha expansion being the Plague.

The scenario I present is a if scenario until confirmed being that what IF the plague survived in Cantha sealed off in a spot within the lowests region of the City where only the poor and desperate would dare to live near or enter. It is a small region that most of those poor souls living in the lowest levels are right next to but never go into unless it is out of desperation to find food and salvage dropped down from the higher levels.

We can speak with NPCs and hear NPC living down there talking about stories involving hearing strange deformed voices in the darkness of those areas and screams of people who wander into that area but their bodies can never be found.

Then at some point in the Cantha Main Storyline we are blased into that area and spend some time only hearing sounds in every corner. We can see strange lumps of deformed flesh forming in areas as if something died there but the flesh has kept growing after the thing died. Eventually as we get closer to what looks like a safe place, we find it empty with only signs that people lived there recently but blood is everywhere yet no bodies. It is at this moment after investigating the small camp we find a survivor but that survivor is acting strange and telling us to stay away from him. Yet the commander ignores this warning and this survivor suddenly attacks the Commander but is successfully killed. At this moment the Afflicted makes their return into GW2 and the Commander must fight off the Afficted until he or she is put into a down state (no achievement) or survive long enough for a group of mysterious people to arrive (achievement ). After this the game progress with a Afficted story chapter for a while until the Commander finally escapes this region of the Undercity.

and here is where I end the IF scenario stuff since let just wait and see what Cantha expansion may bring.....

So how will you react if the Afflicted returned in such a manner or if they return in another way?

I don't think it can. The plague existed purely due to Shiro's presence corrupting living organisms. No Shiro means the plague eventually dissipated as the remaining afflicted would have been hunted down.

I'd be surprised anyway. Anet might allude to it, but this expac is clearly Dragon focused and Anet aren't great at handling multiple plot threads. It'll tell some side stories on the map, but I'm not expecting any deviation from the Dragon plot unless something comes up during the icebrood saga (which again will likely be Dragon plot). Plus the whole undead/zombie style army has already been done twice in GW2 in a signicant way, I'm not sure even Anet would recycle the idea again

I hope they don't utilize the plague/the afflicted for this beyond references to the region's history and how those things influenced modern day Cantha. I want new stories and not just rehashing old plots. Based on the teaser trailer Cantha doesn't look much different, which is a bummer imo. At the very least I hope the culture and people have changed enough that the setting feels different, even if it looks similar.

@Randulf.7614 said:I don't think it can. The plague existed due to Shiro's presence corrupting living organisms. No Shiro means the plague eventually dissipated as the remaining afflicted would have been hunted down.

I'd be surprised anyway. Anet might allude to it, but this expac is clearly Dragon focused and Anet aren't great at handling multiple plot threads. It'll tell some side stories on the map, but I'm not expecting any deviation from the Dragon plot unless something comes up during the icebrood saga (which again will likely be Dragon plot). Plus the whole undead/zombie style army has already been done twice in GW2 in a signicant way, I'm not sure even Anet would recycle the idea again

despite Shiro's death the Plague still carried its basic functions of how it infects people though.

They literally had to cut off certain areas where the plague was affecting the most during Winds of Change so no one can enter those areas while they exterminate the remaining Afflicted. However, we never did see if they were thoroughly enough and if certain spots that were sealed off may have been missed which is a scary thought like how some well known deadly diseases that are considered wiped out now may still exists because of a small spot on Earth holding the virus for that disease.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:Actually I even think WOC afflicted made little sense, without Shiro they should simply become mindless zombies, there shouldn't be that many remaining years later and all become so powerful.

That is why in this IF scenario i mentioned that they may only be found in a smalled sealed off location of the Undercity, either as a result of major path ways collaping many years ago leaving only small path ways people easily miss and can cover up or intentional reasons being sealed, that no one would dare to enter unless it is out of desperation.

In the minds of the people the Plague is gone (like people see Small Pox) but in the back of their minds there has always been a fear that some where and in some small place there could be a small pack of the afflicted remaining. Like many fears of such deadly disease returning or been kept alive in a spot where hardly anyone goes to there is also the fear of it may have evolved over the years in that small area of the Undercity due to small amount of victims keeping the disease alive such as rats, maybe desperate humans living down there, and other type of things that may have wander into that small area of the Undercity.

It will never spread beyond this small area due to how sealed off it is unless someone knows a small way into the place but it will always remain in that spot deep in the shadows of the Undercity where the majority of Cantha citizens will never find nor seek to enter unless they stumble into that place by accident or intentionally go there in desperation to survive life in the Undercity without knowing what horrors are in the shadows of that place.

I wouldn't mind seeing the plague and afflicted again in gw2.. however I think this kind of content would be far better suited to a Dungeon, Raid or Fractal instead.

Fractal probably being the best option since time doesn't mean much in there.. yet means everything!! do do do do do do do do lol

Tell you what would be great, getting to replay the Gw1 Vizunah Square mission!One of the cool things about this mission for non Gw1 players was that this was the first mission in Gw1 to my knowledge that had 2 different player party's in it.Canthan characters/players would enter this mission with their allies from the Vizunah Square (Local Quarter), meanwhile if a group of Prophecies characters/players were also doing this mission from the Vizunah Square (Foreign Quarter) the two party's would get grouped together in the same mission instance and would end up meeting one another at the end of the instance and working together to take on hordes of afflicted!

Basically it played out that the Local party would make their way to the Square to meet up with the foreign party and get ambushed there.The Foreign party would have to fight their way to the Square to assist the Local party before they get overwhelmed and essential NPC's die.Once the two groups are together they travel together and fight off multiple waves of Afflicted before completing the mission.

If Anet could do something like that as a Fractal! That would be absolutely awesome!!

The entire point of the first act of Winds of Change was to eliminate the few remnants of the Affliction. These remnants weren't naturally sustaining, but maintained by the Am Fah, who were artificially creating Afflicted; the leader who was advocating for such actions was killed and replaced by a more lenient leader in Act 2&3 of Winds of Change, leaving the Affliction to be completely and utterly wiped out for good.

It wouldn't make sense to bring back the Affliction in GW2, as it would be a blatant retcon to the gameplay of Winds of Change, which is easily argued to be one of the best campaigns of GW1.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:The entire point of the first act of Winds of Change was to eliminate the few remnants of the Affliction. These remnants weren't naturally sustaining, but maintained by the Am Fah, who were artificially creating Afflicted; the leader who was advocating for such actions was killed and replaced by a more lenient leader in Act 2&3 of Winds of Change, leaving the Affliction to be completely and utterly wiped out for good.

It wouldn't make sense to bring back the Affliction in GW2, as it would be a blatant retcon to the gameplay of Winds of Change, which is easily argued to be one of the best campaigns of GW1.

I never said they will have to retcon the story of Wind of Change. Everything stays the same because everything we know about Wind of Change is about the known history of the events but as I said it is the Known History which is based on what people recorded.

I am asking how will people react IF there was a small area of Afflicted that the purge missed because of the place becoming sealed off by certain reasons that caused them to miss that spot and over the centuries while it was sealed off the Afflicted had gown, evolved, and changed but never escape that area. Thus leading to a moment when the Commander gets blasted into that unknown area that so few know about due to being in such a deep part of the Undercity only the most poor and desperate will end up in. A area so isolated and ancient in the Undercity that even the Purge missed because of where the place is located thus leading to the assumption the Afflicted was all wiped out but in secret some of it survived and have been festering for centuries like in a horror movie that always ends in the previous movie assuming every threat of a virus is wiped out but in reality a small part of it is just waiting to be "found" again one day in a place no one suspect until someone accidently finds it.

However, it seems everyone is ignoring the question and focusing on say "The Afflicted should never return because of X or Y reasons" which should be in completely different post topic because this is not what my topic is about.

@Randulf.7614 said:That’s been answered though. It would be a reaction of surprise and confusion given we know the afflicted couldn’t still exist and their story is completed.

So basically, the best way I can describe it, the same reaction people will have if Small Pox suddenly appeared in the world again in a spot too far from a place that stores the cure for it.

As others already stated, it is unlikely that the plague can keep existing after so much time without the actual source, which has been Shiro Tagachi.

Also I think they might not use the plague as a big part of the story for the simple reason that we already had something similar. The whole thing with Palawa Joko and the scarab plague. Throwing another magical plague at us as part of the story might feel a bit redundant.

I want the plague referenced in the story and get told how it influenced the history of Cantha. But I don't think we will really deal with it again.And I would also like this disease to play a role in the development in one of the elite specs. The Am Fah were experimenting with the disease back then, using it ruthlessly to let their own power grow. They might have experimented with alot of other stuff, too.

If this could be the birth of an alchemy/bio-engineering based elite spec for the engineer, that would be my dream scenario.

@Kodama.6453 said:As others already stated, it is unlikely that the plague can keep existing after so much time without the actual source, which has been Shiro Tagachi.

Also I think they might not use the plague as a big part of the story for the simple reason that we already had something similar. The whole thing with Palawa Joko and the scarab plague. Throwing another magical plague at us as part of the story might feel a bit redundant.

I want the plague referenced in the story and get told how it influenced the history of Cantha. But I don't think we will really deal with it again.And I would also like this disease to play a role in the development in one of the elite specs. The Am Fah were experimenting with the disease back then, using it ruthlessly to let their own power grow. They might have experimented with alot of other stuff, too.

If this could be the birth of an alchemy/bio-engineering based elite spec for the engineer, that would be my dream scenario.

The Am Fah was also researching into creating a Virus based Plague as well which was stopped in GW1 Wind of Change though uncertain if all samples were destroyed.

That would also mean they may have samples of the plague in storage for research like how scientist keep samples of deadly diseases alive in highly quarantined research facilities. However, that will then be against other people's statement and the public knowledge that all physical existance of the plague is wiped out and no chance of returning because if there are samples remaining then it can always return if an accident happens or some idiotic researcher been experimenting on that plague sample to create a new strain of plague that is more virus based than magic based.

Though we all know how Public Knowledge tends to backfire.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@Kodama.6453 said:As others already stated, it is unlikely that the plague can keep existing after so much time without the actual source, which has been Shiro Tagachi.

The Am Fah was also researching into creating a Virus based Plague as well which was stopped in GW1 Wind of Change though uncertain if all samples were destroyed.

That would also mean they may have samples of the plague in storage for research like how scientist keep samples of deadly diseases alive in highly quarantined research facilities. However, that will then be against other people's statement and the public knowledge that all physical existance of the plague is wiped out and no chance of returning because if there are samples remaining then it can always return if an accident happens or some idiotic researcher been experimenting on that plague sample to create a new strain of plague that is more virus based than magic based.

Didn't even know about this.

So I can still hope for us to get a cool plague doctor elite spec for engineers which is using viruses, acids, and other stuff!It just fits so perfectly.

@Kodama.6453 said:

Didn't even know about this.

So I can still hope for us to get a cool plague doctor elite spec for engineers which is using viruses, acids, and other stuff!It just fits so perfectly.

Ya part of the reason for defeat the Am Fah was not only to end their plans to spread the Plague but also hunt down the person who has learned how to create a new version of the Plague that can be created by anyone if they learned his methods.

A nightmare scenario for certain if the knowledge that Jeijou, Shadow Whispered had manage to slip out but with his death it is assumed that knowledge is lost. Of course there is the question about if he had recorded his research or not because that means some where in Cantha is the knowledge to recreate the Plague.

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:I never said they will have to retcon the story of Wind of Change. Everything stays the same because everything we know about Wind of Change is about the known history of the events but as I said it is the Known History which is based on what people recorded.

I am asking how will people react IF there was a small area of Afflicted that the purge missed because of the place becoming sealed off by certain reasons that caused them to miss that spot

There was no sealed off place though, and in fact, the fact the place got sealed off would be evidence there's still plague there so it wouldn't be missed. The Ministry of Purity - and indeed the player - went through the entire city and then Shing Jea and then even into the Echovald Forest to wipe out the Affliction.

So it would be a retcon to bring it back, even in a small pocket.

However, it seems everyone is ignoring the question and focusing on say "The Afflicted should never return because of X or Y reasons" which should be in completely different post topic because this is not what my topic is about.It's not ignoring the question, it's answering with "it won't happen".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually going to agree with you on this. I think the idea that the ministry stopped the plague will be feed to us as propaganda. I can see the ministry keep several samples and keep some form of mutated creature that was once afflicted but is now something else. We don't really have any information on how the government is now,but I get a vision of Ba Sing Sa from Avatar where they are trying to keep the world ignorant of what is going on. I see our presence as a wake up call for many people for the below:1- most canthans most likely have never encountered any non human. Asian,Char,Born and Sylvari will be made to feel like an outsider.2- last we saw the ministry of purity was taking power and manipulate the masses. I can see them as public figure of good and in reality be shady as heck.
3- the dragon rising. We heard nothing of the elder dragons until after the eye of the north. Most of the dragons took refuge in a place of great magic. It could be that the people just have no idea that the dsd is one of 6. They could only assume that it's a menace. This could be a catalyst that forces our hands as they may try to kill the dragon by unleashing the plague.4- we learned that Shiro, who unleashed the plague 250+ yrs ago learned from a servant of Abaddon. This could have been lead by occultist who started to study the history of demons in the mist and we could possibly get them as enemies.

I do think that we will see some form of the plague in either the story or a follow-up lws. Like the Jade Wind it toes heavenly into the history of the nation.

@Jack Swiftclaw.9076 said:I'm actually going to agree with you on this. I think the idea that the ministry stopped the plague will be feed to us as propaganda. I can see the ministry keep several samples and keep some form of mutated creature that was once afflicted but is now something else. We don't really have any information on how the government is now,but I get a vision of Ba Sing Sa from Avatar where they are trying to keep the world ignorant of what is going on. I see our presence as a wake up call for many people for the below:1- most canthans most likely have never encountered any non human. Asian,Char,Born and Sylvari will be made to feel like an outsider.2- last we saw the ministry of purity was taking power and manipulate the masses. I can see them as public figure of good and in reality be shady as heck.

3- the dragon rising. We heard nothing of the elder dragons until after the eye of the north. Most of the dragons took refuge in a place of great magic. It could be that the people just have no idea that the dsd is one of 6. They could only assume that it's a menace. This could be a catalyst that forces our hands as they may try to kill the dragon by unleashing the plague.4- we learned that Shiro, who unleashed the plague 250+ yrs ago learned from a servant of Abaddon. This could have been lead by occultist who started to study the history of demons in the mist and we could possibly get them as enemies.

I do think that we will see some form of the plague in either the story or a follow-up lws. Like the Jade Wind it toes heavenly into the history of the nation.Wouldn't that just be a bit of a repeat of Joko's propaganda of Elona?

Joko slew Abaddon. Joko slew Zhaitan. Joko slew Mordremoth (how did Elonians even know!?). Elonians praised Joko, believed him to be some god-king. He lied to the masses with propaganda, proclaiming he was the savior of their past plights. Heck, Joko even slew the Iron Forgeman of Sorrow's Furnace according to his propaganda.

I know both were overtaken by tyrannical individuals capable of manipulating history to fit their fiction, but while Joko lived to modern times, Usoku didn't. It would be a bit boring to just repeat the same old plot in different aesthetics.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Jack Swiftclaw.9076 said:I'm actually going to agree with you on this. I think the idea that the ministry stopped the plague will be feed to us as propaganda. I can see the ministry keep several samples and keep some form of mutated creature that was once afflicted but is now something else. We don't really have any information on how the government is now,but I get a vision of Ba Sing Sa from Avatar where they are trying to keep the world ignorant of what is going on. I see our presence as a wake up call for many people for the below:1- most canthans most likely have never encountered any non human. Asian,Char,Born and Sylvari will be made to feel like an outsider.2- last we saw the ministry of purity was taking power and manipulate the masses. I can see them as public figure of good and in reality be shady as heck.

I do think that we will see some form of the plague in either the story or a follow-up lws. Like the Jade Wind it toes heavenly into the history of the nation.Wouldn't that just be a bit of a repeat of Joko's propaganda of Elona?

Joko slew Abaddon. Joko slew Zhaitan. Joko slew Mordremoth (how did Elonians even know!?). Elonians praised Joko, believed him to be some god-king. He lied to the masses with propaganda, proclaiming he was the savior of their past plights. Heck, Joko even slew the Iron Forgeman of Sorrow's Furnace according to his propaganda.

I know both were overtaken by tyrannical individuals capable of manipulating history to fit their fiction, but while Joko lived to modern times, Usoku didn't. It would be a bit boring to just repeat the same old plot in different aesthetics.

Less that and more The elder dragons are a myth. You are are safe from in Cantha. More the ministry is in control of the emporer. I can see the ministry go to any means to keep the people of Cantha complacent in that notion.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:That’s been answered though. It would be a reaction of surprise and confusion given we know the afflicted couldn’t still exist and their story is completed.

So basically, the best way I can describe it, the same reaction people will have if Small Pox suddenly appeared in the world again in a spot too far from a place that stores the cure for it.

Except that smallpox was kinda unique among infectious diseases:

• It was a humans-only disease so there's no reservoir of unvaccinated animals that can reinfect humans.
  • There was an non-dangerous disease (cowpox) that, if you caught it, you would generate an immune response that's effective against smallpox.(1)
  • It was easy to extract an attenuated strain of cowpox and/or smallpox that would infect you (and create an immune response) but not make you sick.

So in general a reappearance of smallpox could only happen if it is accidentally unfrozen and released from one of the very few labs (er, two, one in the US, one in Russia, that kind of very few) that still stores it. (This happened in England in 1978, and there was one fatality and no further outbreak.)

And where exactly in the world is so far away, in the 21st Century, that it would be impossible to ship the necessary stuff there? (Vaccines effective against smallpox are still manufactured - the most recent one got FDA approval in 2007.)

So the reaction would be a mix of "What's smallpox?" and "Oh, that was over quickly. Good thing they still make vaccines for it."

(1) The term "vaccination" comes from the Latin word for cow, and strictly speaking on that basis you can only be vaccinated against things that cowpox infections are effective against, like smallpox. The word has, of course, been broadened to any similar process of immunisation, even one that doesn't involve a second disease.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:That’s been answered though. It would be a reaction of surprise and confusion given we know the afflicted couldn’t still exist and their story is completed.

Except that smallpox was kinda unique among infectious diseases:
  • It was a humans-only disease so there's no reservoir of unvaccinated animals that can reinfect humans.
  • There was an non-dangerous disease (cowpox) that, if you caught it, you would generate an immune response that's effective against smallpox.(1)
  • It was easy to extract an attenuated strain of cowpox and/or smallpox that would infect you (and create an immune response) but not make you sick.

So in general a reappearance of smallpox could only happen if it is accidentally unfrozen and released from one of the very few labs (er, two, one in the US, one in Russia, that kind of very few) that still stores it. (This happened in England in 1978, and there was one fatality and no further outbreak.)

And where exactly in the world is so far away, in the 21st Century, that it would be impossible to ship the necessary stuff there? (Vaccines effective against smallpox are still manufactured - the most recent one got FDA approval in 2007.)

So the reaction would be a mix of "What's smallpox?" and "Oh, that was over quickly. Good thing they still make vaccines for it."

(1) The term "vaccination" comes from the Latin word for cow, and strictly speaking on that basis you can only be vaccinated against things that cowpox infections are effective against, like smallpox. The word has, of course, been broadened to any similar process of immunisation, even one that doesn't involve a second disease.

Well you have to remember a Vaccine was never created for the Plague. The only "cure" for it they had was to attempt thorough extermination of all infected even those who were recently infected.

There is also still a concern if Jeijou, Shadow Whispered left research data about how to recreate the plague since his last words before being killed implied he has completed the data. If records still remain then anyone can recreate it if that data is found or has already been found.

I think a big mistake they made was to assume that data should have died with Jeijou that day.

though thinking about it Jeijou was a Necromancer/Ritualist(sub Profession) which maybe a potential Elite Spec focusing on using and controlling the Plague for Necromancer in Cantha Expansion. A Elite Spec that uses the data Jeijou created about recreating the Plague to cause Plague like attacks and maybe modify minions into Plague formed minions.

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:There is also still a concern if Jeijou, Shadow Whispered left research data about how to recreate the plague since his last words before being killed implied he has completed the data. If records still remain then anyone can recreate it if that data is found or has already been found.

I think a big mistake they made was to assume that data should have died with Jeijou that day.

Xan Hei: "Time to see what this case contains. What the...? Of all the sickening... These are plans. Instructions about the magics necessary to make a Chalice of Corruption. I'm certain that you recognize that name, along with its significance. This means that someone within the Am Fah knows how to create this. We need to find out who that is, and we need them exterminated. Their knowledge can die with them; this world has no room for the kind of person who would knowingly inflict suffering upon others in this way. I will formulate a plan. Return and speak with me again later."https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Intercepting_the_Am_Fah

Jeijou tried to spread the plans for the Chalice of Corruption, but were prevented by the Ministry of Purity. The question would be if the unrelentingly justice-obssessed Xan Hei would personally destroy them, or give them to his superiors - and if the latter, if said superiors would destroy or keep.

Personally, Xan Hei kind of seemed like the person who wouldn't trust others with it and outright destroy it.

At most, an insurgence of Chalice of Corruption caused Affliction will just be a simple dynamic event chain - maybe a meta event - I imagine, and not some huge plot.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Xan Hei: "Time to see what this case contains. What the...? Of all the sickening... These are plans. Instructions about the magics necessary to make a Chalice of Corruption. I'm certain that you recognize that name, along with its significance. This means that someone within the Am Fah knows how to create this. We need to find out who that is, and we need them exterminated. Their knowledge can die with them; this world has no room for the kind of person who would knowingly inflict suffering upon others in this way. I will formulate a plan. Return and speak with me again later."https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Intercepting_the_Am_FahJeijou tried to spread the plans for the Chalice of Corruption, but were prevented by the Ministry of Purity. The question would be if the unrelentingly justice-obssessed Xan Hei would personally destroy them, or give them to his superiors - and if the latter, if said superiors would destroy or keep.

Personally, Xan Hei kind of seemed like the person who wouldn't trust others with it and outright destroy it.

At most, an insurgence of Chalice of Corruption caused Affliction will just be a simple dynamic event chain - maybe a meta event - I imagine, and not some huge plot.

That has been one of the things I've been curious about, we intercepted the copies of the instructions and they assumed everything died with Jeijou and his followers. I always had this feeling even back in GW1 we were missing something because we never discovered if there were original plans or not and if those plans were properly dealt with.

Xan Hei was loyal to the Ministry's cause during those moments but even he eventually discovered the corruption of the Ministry. He may have been a person who will destroy any of the data and copies found but I always question if certain members of the Ministry have the same mind set.

There are plenty of reason why members of the Ministry may have kept the data and kept it a secret considering they never had found a actual vaccine for this new plague and the data there can be key to create one if someone was to recreate it again some how. Though there is the corrupt members of the ministry who may seek this data as a weapon for them to use and may discover a way to allow Necromancers to create and control a new Plague of their own making.

Though, as I said before, that would also be a interesting Necromancer Elite Specualization and one with a lore reason for its creation that relates back to a chain of events from GW1.

It will certainly justify Plague Events on maps as well to defeat these Afflicted then defeat the Plague Master Necro that control them. Maybe even for a specific Map Meta event that leads to the Plague Master's lab where a giant Afflected Abomination meta boss awaits those who seek to kill the Plague Master