Help Picking a profession

So I'm a new player and I always struggle to pick a class in mmos, I kinda like them all, and that makes me scared to commit. When looking up info on this game I see allot about druids, fire brands, revenants and mesmers late game jobs in groups and goals but haven't found much on other classes. Can players who are experienced with any class explain to me late game on that class, whats its jobs, how does it work in a team, do I farm by only hitting one button? maybe try to sell me on your favorite class?I know its allot to ask, but I'm lost lol. Thanksps. I have both dlc

There are tons of threads like this. Please read through them. All I will offer is try them all. This game, and its players (most not all) are not so punishing that they wont work with you. Besides when you start its about figuring our the game, so have fun and explore your options. Don't worry about end game until you are there.

@zackypooh.6589 said:So I'm a new player and I always struggle to pick a class in mmos, I kinda like them all, and that makes me scared to commit. When looking up info on this game I see allot about druids, fire brands, revenants and mesmers late game jobs in groups and goals but haven't found much on other classes. Can players who are experienced with any class explain to me late game on that class, whats its jobs, how does it work in a team, do I farm by only hitting one button? maybe try to sell me on your favorite class?I know its allot to ask, but I'm lost lol. Thanksps. I have both dlc

it'll be easier for anyone here to give you a suggestion for a class if you give a preference.

like say,

• do you prefer (either aesthetically/functionally) melee? ranged? mixed of both?
  • do you prefer to (primarily) help the group or do damage?
  • do you prefer a relaxed play style or something more engaging/challenging? (like do you like pressing as few keys as possible or are you a concert pianist?)
  • do you prefer pve/pvp/large_scale_pvp?

if you can answer any or all of those basic questions it's easy enough to narrow down a recommendation :)

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@zackypooh.6589 said:So I'm a new player and I always struggle to pick a class in mmos, I kinda like them all, and that makes me scared to commit. When looking up info on this game I see allot about druids, fire brands, revenants and mesmers late game jobs in groups and goals but haven't found much on other classes. Can players who are experienced with any class explain to me late game on that class, whats its jobs, how does it work in a team, do I farm by only hitting one button? maybe try to sell me on your favorite class?I know its allot to ask, but I'm lost lol. Thanksps. I have both dlc

it'll be easier for anyone here to give you a suggestion for a class if you give a preference.

like say,
  • do you prefer (either aesthetically/functionally) melee? ranged? mixed of both?
  • do you prefer a relaxed play style or something more engaging/challenging? (like do you like pressing as few keys as possible or are you a concert pianist?)

if you can answer any or all of those basic questions it's easy enough to narrow down a recommendation :)

more engaging and pve oriented for sure. I really like doing any/all roles im happy as dps, tank or support. I have eliminated elementalest I usually find mages are slightly disconnected from combat, but make up for it with really cool effects but I find the effects in this game a little lack luster. I have tried all the other core classes and Ive enjoyed them which was a mistake be cant pick

@zackypooh.6589 said:

like say,

more engaging and pve oriented for sure. I really like doing any/all roles im happy as dps, tank or support. I have eliminated elementalest I usually find mages are slightly disconnected from combat, but make up for it with really cool effects but I find the effects in this game a little lack luster. I have tried all the other core classes and Ive enjoyed them which was a mistake be cant pick

Elementalist is a mage. Or at least it can be. But like all classes in GW2, elementalists are never just one thing! This is a "mage":

@zackypooh.6589 said:

like say,

GW2 Elementalist is probably the most engaging 'mage' of them all. D/D core or S/D weaver is really great in the hands of someone who is good. Unfortunately it is also the hardest one :)If you want easy pick Necromancer, it is my lazy pick too for dailies or achievements :) GL and have fun.

My recommendation is Engineer. It’s got so many different ways to play that you’ll never get bored. It’s an engaging profession, so you’ll never be simply autoattacking while waiting on cool downs. And once you hit your elite specializations you’ll have 2 very viable options for pve or pvp.

It depends on what you plan on playing: PVE/WVW/PVP.

If it's PVE, you're better off with guardian (firebrand), revenant (renegade), warrior (berserker), or ranger (soulbeast/druid). Mesmer if you enjoy a challenge (wouldn't recommend it as a first class) ...--- Classes without any major boon output for quickness / alacrity and no major profession-specific combat enhancements such as banners or spirits will fall in and out of meta. It's undeniable, see the state of thief (daredevil), elementalist (weaver) , engineer (holosmith) , and necromancer.--- Maximum damage is attained in roughly melee range for all classes more or less. That is due to the way boon sharing works and the generally higher damage coefficients on lower range weapons.

If it's WVW I'd say guardian (firebrand) , revenant (herald), warrior (spellbreaker), and necromancer (scourge/reaper) are solid choices. They haven't fell out of meta at all. It used to be GWEN (Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist , Necro) comps before the revenant was introduced with the first expansion but revenant has far lower risk with similar power damage to elementalist in the current state of WvW. Engineer scrappers are popular now , but if the traits are nerfed further expect them to fall out of fashion once more , similar to mesmer chronomancer which has had a resurgence after the shatter mechanic was partially restored along with the introduction of a boon strip trait in Vicious Expression.

If it's PVP it's highly dependent on the balance patch and the team composition. The meta changes all the time whether people like to admit it or not. There's little to no investment in gear for PVP as it relies on amulets only (i.e. not your PVE gear) so I would not plan any class choices with PVP in mind. Just keep a slot open to roll a PVP character or have enough slots to cover all 9 professions.