Bring back old sylvari for cantha as sub race.

Ok. so cantha is coming.I am one of those lame people who really love elves and fae.and the original sylvari concept was so appealing to me.adding new races is really hard to guild wars because it would require another layer of voice acting.BUT if they were just sub races of current ones we wouldnt need that.also i feel like there is some way to do this with the old version of druids in cantha.so this sylvari would still use the voice acting of the first but they would bring a new aesthetic to the game.and this could be expanded to other races as well.

Furry taller asura who left the underground and evolved like savages with beards.charr that are softer and cuter and smallerhumans of utopia with maybe a mechanical twist.NORN who are constantly in the between stages of their chosen spirit of the wild.

kinda like wow did with some of their allied races just being an expansion of the current ones.

also add Largos

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@lil muffin.1250 said:BUT if they were just sub races of current ones we wouldnt need that.

not sure if i understand you but by "sub race" you mean something npc-only? like those mordrem-ised sylvari? these are pretty easy to implement if so. but if you want a playable race there's a lot of work even for a "sub race" so it will be unlikely (not saying impossible just a lot of work).

@lil muffin.1250 said:also add Largos

they already exist right?

EDIT: gave it another read, for a sub race, well, the devs can just increase the "option"-choices for races. like give humans a skin-type setting to get the

@lil muffin.1250 said:humans of utopia with maybe a mechanical twist.

or more body-types and faces for charr

@lil muffin.1250 said:charr that are softer and cuter and smaller

Sub-Races are a fun idea I think. Easy work around to adding new races but not really. You get some of the hype in there which is the important bit.Could be:Sylvari ->Soundless Sylvari (More pale tones, perhaps some older looking hair styles, new racials)Charr ->Flame Legion Charr(New body types, new faces, new racials)Norn -> Not too many lore-based choices I can think of. Maybe something to do with spirit of the wild infused Norn.Humans->Canthan humans? Awoken undead? A lot of choices hereAsura -> Inquest Asuran? Not sure what would change physically here.

The most important thing about new races is they add hype and a new starting point for players that want to join.If a new race is off the table completely I think this is a pretty good middle ground.

Sounds awful. Your proposed asura sub-race would be neanderthal humans, your charr would be plushies, cyborg humans i can get behind, your norn couldn't do anything as their bodies are in a constant state of mutating flux. On the plus side, i haven't come across this idea before and it could be worth exploring.

@lil muffin.1250 said:Ok. so cantha is coming.I am one of those lame people who really love elves and fae.and the original sylvari concept was so appealing to me.adding new races is really hard to guild wars because it would require another layer of voice acting.BUT if they were just sub races of current ones we wouldnt need that.also i feel like there is some way to do this with the old version of druids in cantha.so this sylvari would still use the voice acting of the first but they would bring a new aesthetic to the game.and this could be expanded to other races as well.

Furry taller asura who left the underground and evolved like savages with beards.charr that are softer and cuter and smallerhumans of utopia with maybe a mechanical twist.NORN who are constantly in the between stages of their chosen spirit of the wild.

kinda like wow did with some of their allied races just being an expansion of the current ones.

also add Largos

so you want gw2 to add generic elves and furries?

@Funky.4861 said:Sounds awful. Your proposed asura sub-race would be neanderthal humans, your charr would be plushies, cyborg humans i can get behind, your norn couldn't do anything as their bodies are in a constant state of mutating flux. On the plus side, i haven't come across this idea before and it could be worth exploring.

what would be your idea for sub races in that case.

Someone mentioned flame legion charr! now that would be awesome.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@lil muffin.1250 said:Ok. so cantha is coming.I am one of those lame people who really love elves and fae.and the original sylvari concept was so appealing to me.adding new races is really hard to guild wars because it would require another layer of voice acting.BUT if they were just sub races of current ones we wouldnt need that.also i feel like there is some way to do this with the old version of druids in cantha.so this sylvari would still use the voice acting of the first but they would bring a new aesthetic to the game.and this could be expanded to other races as well.

also add Largos

so you want gw2 to add generic elves and furries?

well the sylvari they created orginally were more fairy inspired than elf. and fairies are rarely played in mmorpgs.Furries are a large popu.ation of people who enjoy playing cute animal like races.

@anninke.7469 said:After thinking about this suggestion for a while I deciced I wouldn't want it to happen. And if the original concept should appear in the game, then please make it absolutely unrelated to sylvari we have now, because it looks more like mutated humans than sylvari.

Well. The Druids of cantha were originally people and transformed themselves into what they were in factions.It could be a cool story seeing them become uncorrupted and turn to a softer variation of that.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@lil muffin.1250 said:Furries are a large popu.ation of people who enjoy playing cute animal like races.

IMO, this is what helps GW2 stand out from the rest of the genre: the decisions to not be like every other MMORPG.

who cares.. what you think the game needs more players.and actually one of the critics this games gets often is it has ugly races.

@lil muffin.1250 said:

@lil muffin.1250 said:Furries are a large popu.ation of people who enjoy playing cute animal like races.

IMO, this is what helps GW2 stand out from the rest of the genre: the decisions to not be like every other MMORPG.

who cares.. what you think the game needs more players.and actually one of the critics this games gets often is it has ugly races.

tbh GW2's races are fine, they aren't ugly they're unique. my only real complaint is how asura and female humans have long necks (well this is mostly for asura just a lil bit for f human)

i came from Final Fantasy 14 before i played Guild Wars 2, and while i miss having Miqo'te and Lalafell around and while they're really really nice to look at, they're pretty much just "human + something" like, "human + horns n scales" for Au Ra. even the newly added Hrothgar is prety much just a feline faced bulky male human (kinda like if you put a charr face on human/norn male) that isn't bad ofcourse and it makes it easier to add a new race and rigging armour sets is easy but it's sorta lazy.

@lil muffin.1250 said:

Who cares? I care. I thought that this forum was for discussion. I stated my opinion and you answer with "who cares?"

Maybe in your circles the critique mentions ugly races. I do not find them to be so. Where is the data to support your claim that this is a criticism that occurs "often"?

@lil muffin.1250 said:

@"anninke.7469" said:After thinking about this suggestion for a while I deciced I wouldn't want it to happen. And if the original concept should appear in the game, then please make it absolutely unrelated to sylvari we have now, because it looks more like mutated humans than sylvari.

Well. The Druids of cantha were originally people and transformed themselves into what they were in factions.It could be a cool story seeing them become uncorrupted and turn to a softer variation of that.

Sylvari are not corrupted humans (or anything else). They are plant spawns of an already purified dragon (plant) minion. Nothing to "uncorrupt" there.Also - I do like elves and fairy-folks of all kinds. But I strongly dislike the idea of turning the sylvari into one because I like the twiggies even more.

@anninke.7469 said:After thinking about this suggestion for a while I deciced I wouldn't want it to happen. And if the original concept should appear in the game, then please make it absolutely unrelated to sylvari we have now, because it looks more like mutated humans than sylvari.

sylvari are already plant humans, this will only allow ppl to make a sylvari with a smooth skin, something i really want since beta.

@anninke.7469 said:

Sylvari are not corrupted humans (or anything else). They are plant spawns of an already purified dragon (plant) minion. Nothing to "uncorrupt" there.Also - I do like elves and fairy-folks of all kinds. But I strongly dislike the idea of turning the sylvari into one because I like the twiggies even more.

I wasnt referring to the sylvari.I was referring to the wardens in cantha. i accidentally typed druids.I'm not making up lore for them.. just providing a (bad) possible reason for the cute race they originally where to be in the game.

@Funky.4861 said:Sounds awful. Your proposed asura sub-race would be neanderthal humans, your charr would be plushies, cyborg humans i can get behind, your norn couldn't do anything as their bodies are in a constant state of mutating flux. On the plus side, i haven't come across this idea before and it could be worth exploring.

idk. i think norn with raven talons and feathers could be awesome.or norn with built in fur like bears.or sharp teeth and leaopard hide built into them.not constantly in flux but taking on some of the elements of their chosen spirit.