New Expansion Teaser – Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons - [Merged]

I saw some folks commenting about things they'd like in the expansion, including player housing. I know the devs have had some turnover and may not recall the old CDI's, so here's the original Guild Hall community discussion thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/cdi/CDI-Guilds-Guild-HallsIt included a number of side discussions on what personal housing features might be desired. Might be a useful resource for newer devs, though it is very long.

These current forums have also had some meaty discussions on the topic. No need to start from scratch if you guys are in fact considering a housing system for EoD :)

Well, my personal take on it is that the two dragons shown are the Water Dragon on top which sleeps beneath Kaineng city where it was frozen in place by the Jade Sea eruption. The other dragon on the bottom is the Ice Dragon. The only motivation I have for Jormag the Ice Dragon is destroy Primordus. They are polar opposites. She clearly has been injured or bested before by Primordus and he is listed as the most powerful of all the dragons. I could only see her motivated to try and kill him. Possibly with the assistance of the Water dragon. Now, either that's in partnership or by her taking it's magic. Either way after she intends to destroy Primordus while he still struggles to awaken following Balthazars attack. I think she is only interested in having her voice near to Aurene so she can better discern how to use as many types of magic energy as possible. As for the preview, well clearly the first voice is that of the one entering the scene and remarking on it. That would lead me to believe that they are foreign to the area such as Aurene would be. Then the encountered dragon confuses that notion by saying "No Kunaveng..." So...confused.

@"Zizekent.2398" said:PPl saying "This looks like GW2's version of Mists of Pandaria", when its literally based on GW Factions, and it was long before MoP, wow fanboys needs to learn that WoW didnt created the things on MMOs.

They also look completely different.The only place that somewhat looked like Pandaria was/is Shing Jea.

However, Pandaria technically is older than Cantha.It's being mentioned 2002 by Chen (the Panda Brewmaster mercenary), four years prior to factions' release in 2006.

@angelica.7406 said:When do you think EoD will come out?

I would like it to come out for the Chinese New Year which is February 11, 2021, it would be great to celebrate it with the Lunar New Year in the Monastery as well as in Linde.

Or what are your speculations?

End 2021 around. Why? Because :

Episode 5 october 2020Episode 6 december 2020Episode 7 february 2020Episode 8 : April 2020Expansion : September 2021

But I didn't include any Vision Past or delay... it's very optimized^^

@Kalythsu.8350 said:Episode 5 october 2020Episode 6 december 2020Episode 7 february 2020Episode 8 : April 2020Expansion : September 2021

That's a very optimistic view.

I'd say we get the vision we are allegedly getting next at the end of Septembre and then an episode every three months.That'd place episode 8 somewhere in Autumn 2021.If we get not epilogue, the expansion got launch in time for the Yule festivities in Decembre 2021.If we get an epilogue, the expansion would launch two to three months into 2022 (possibly overlapping with Chinese New Year in February).

And I hope they take the time to make it good instead of the low quality of Season 5.

@Kalythsu.8350 said:

I would like it to come out for the Chinese New Year which is February 11, 2021, it would be great to celebrate it with the Lunar New Year in the Monastery as well as in Linde.

Episode 5 october 2020Episode 6 december 2020Episode 7 february 2020Episode 8 : April 2020Expansion : September 2021

@Kalythsu.8350 said:Episode 5 october 2020Episode 6 december 2020Episode 7 february 2020Episode 8 : April 2020Expansion : September 2021

I'd say we get the vision we are allegedly getting next at the end of Septembre and then an episode every three months.That'd place episode 8 somewhere in Autumn 2021.If we get not epilogue, the expansion got launch in time for the Yule festivities in Decembre 2021.If we get an epilogue, the expansion would launch two to three months into 2022 (possibly overlapping with Chinese New Year in February).

And I hope they take the time to make it good instead of the low quality of Season 5.

It makes me sad to know your answers, but okay, it's your speculation, i hope it is not in autumn, it would be a long wait. I would like them to launch it at the beginning of the year, however I prefer that they do a good job.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Kalythsu.8350" said:Episode 5 october 2020Episode 6 december 2020Episode 7 february 2020Episode 8 : April 2020Expansion : September 2021

Given the recent world events and the delay from Covid, the fact that a studio who is usually pretty candid about details in general, specifically stated 2021 as the release date... I'm going to say that 2021 is pretty assured. Not saying it couldn't be December, but I doubt they would say 2021 as confidently as they have if they had even the slightest hesitation of it being postponed to 2022.

With covid and the voice acting fiasco, they're still saying 2021. So I'd imagine they've made a lot more headway than the purely artistic teaser would imply.

They're pretty skilled at pushing out detailed maps and art aesthetics quickly so I'd imagine the most development time will be going into presumed new elite specs/whatever feature they decide to add as the highlight for the expansion. Even the story they're generally pretty quick with.

Depending on the team size, which we don't have any solid information on, they could have people rotating between living story episodes or have a much larger team working on the expansion in general. I don't remember how many people they have at the studio or the associated roles, but I believe it was 400 or so before the layoffs? So presumably still 200 people or so? Could be wrong on that.

The content we get now feels like it's made by significantly fewer. So either they've shifted a lot to other projects or they've shifted them off to the expansion. It really doesn't feel like they were working on this "all along" and lied about it, it seems like they quickly shifted gears at some point and started on it. So I'm going to assume they've got a pretty large team working on it.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. I don't think August/September is unrealistic. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in December but once you approach October you start getting into the long string of the most popular festival content. Releasing in early fall would be ideal in terms of release spacing and would align with the anniversary.

Of course I'd love to be wrong and have this thing be out much earlier in 2021, but unless they've completely shifted this living season around and cut it short we're only halfway there.

@"Bast.7253" said:Given the recent world events and the delay from Covid, the fact that a studio who is usually pretty candid about details in general, specifically stated 2021 as the release date... I'm going to say that 2021 is pretty assured. Not saying it couldn't be December, but I doubt they would say 2021 as confidently as they have if they had even the slightest hesitation of it being postponed to 2022.

There have been so many game that got confident release dates, only to be delayed later.The most prominent example these days is Halo Infinite.I wouldn't be surprised of Arenanet suddenly announced a delay.

The content we get now feels like it's made by significantly fewer. So either they've shifted a lot to other projects or they've shifted them off to the expansion.That's because it is created by less people per episode.Before, they had three development teams, now they have four. The additional team will most likely have been assembled by siphoning the people of the other teams, effectively making each team smaller.

It really doesn't feel like they were working on this "all along" and lied about it, it seems like they quickly shifted gears at some point and started on it. So I'm going to assume they've got a pretty large team working on it.I doubt they had any plans on how to continue the story after War Eternal.War Eternal also felt like a final chapter to me, with all masteries being used and the final story instance summarizing the story by giving mini bosses based on all prior major antagonists.Between War Eternal and the announcement at the PAX, we didn't know the story would go on.If they had planned anything beyond it, we would have gotten a trailer (or at least a hint) at the end of the chapter, like they did in Season 2 and 3.My theory is that they started even just thinking of Season 5 some time between War Eternal and PAX.

@Bast.7253 said:

@"Kalythsu.8350" said:Episode 5 october 2020Episode 6 december 2020Episode 7 february 2020Episode 8 : April 2020Expansion : September 2021

Given the recent world events and the delay from Covid, the fact that a studio who is usually pretty candid about details in general, specifically stated 2021 as the release date... I'm going to say that 2021 is pretty assured. Not saying it couldn't be December, but I doubt they would say 2021 as confidently as they have if they had even the slightest hesitation of it being postponed to 2022.

I am pretty sure, that they have internally an estimated release date and a latest release date. And that they will release the game in the worst case at the latest release date and will ship all the things, that they have until then (without telling us, what was planned and is not finished/shipped).

Remember the Gen. 2 legendary weapons of HoT? I am pretty sure a full set was planned for the HoT release, but it took much longer than estimated, so they shipped HoT only with 3 legendary weapons and not a full set. And said, that the remaining ones will be delivered later.

Depending on the team size, which we don't have any solid information on, they could have people rotating between living story episodes or have a much larger team working on the expansion in general. I don't remember how many people they have at the studio or the associated roles, but I believe it was 400 or so before the layoffs? So presumably still 200 people or so? Could be wrong on that.

Between 200-270 remained after the lay-offs and it was said, that these will not work on other "side projects", but will focus exclusively on GW2. So a lot of people hoped, that we would get more content (per month/quarter etc...) for GW2 than what we got before the lay-offs when (most of) the company worked on several unannounced side-projects.

The content we get now feels like it's made by significantly fewer. So either they've shifted a lot to other projects or they've shifted them off to the expansion. It really doesn't feel like they were working on this "all along" and lied about it, it seems like they quickly shifted gears at some point and started on it.

During the announcements of the Season 5 / Saga, Anet said, that the Saga is the way how Anet wants to deliver new content instead of an Expansion and that they are not working on an Expansion and that they are not planning to (at that time).

And still, we only got half an Saga-episode every two month. The amount of content we got every two months never felt like the whole company was working on the Saga.

My guess is, that they internally decided end of 2019 / beginning of 2020 to make an expansion. And that all the (bigger) things that were planned for the Saga are now delayed and will be included in the Expansion.

So I'm going to assume they've got a pretty large team working on it.

We actually do not know if Anet is only working on the Saga (a little bit) and on the Expansion (a lot), or if they are again working on unannounced side-projects.

@Kalythsu.8350 said:

If Episode 7 and Episode 8 are released in February and April of 2020, will they be including a time travel machine? :wink:

@Zok.4956 said:

I am pretty sure, that they have internally an estimated release date and a latest release date. And that they will release the game in the worst case at the latest release date and will ship all the things, that they have until then (without telling us, what was planned and is not finished/shipped).

Remember the Gen. 2 legendary weapons of HoT? I am pretty sure a full set was planned for the HoT release, but it took much longer than estimated, so they shipped HoT only with 3 legendary weapons and not a full set. And said, that the remaining ones will be delivered later.

Between 200-270 remained after the lay-offs and it was said, that these will not work on other "side projects", but will focus exclusively on GW2. So a lot of people hoped, that we would get more content (per month/quarter etc...) for GW2 than what we got before the lay-offs when (most of) the company worked on several unannounced side-projects.

The content we get now feels like it's made by significantly fewer. So either they've shifted a lot to other projects or they've shifted them off to the expansion. It really doesn't feel like they were working on this "all along" and lied about it, it seems like they quickly shifted gears at some point and started on it.

During the announcements of the Season 5 / Saga, Anet said, that the Saga is the way how Anet wants to deliver new content instead of an Expansion and that they are not working on an Expansion and that they are not planning to (at that time).

And still, we only got half an Saga-episode every two month. The amount of content we got every two months never felt like the whole company was working on the Saga.

My guess is, that they internally decided end of 2019 / beginning of 2020 to make an expansion. And that all the (bigger) things that were planned for the Saga are now delayed and will be included in the Expansion.

So I'm going to assume they've got a pretty large team working on it.

We actually do not know if Anet is only working on the Saga (a little bit) and on the Expansion (a lot), or if they are again working on unannounced side-projects.

That is the biggest question for me. 200-270 people seems like a lot, especially what they're rolling out now. (Which is probably made by much smaller teams.) So are the remaining people going ham on the expansion or did they shift 100 or more people over to other projects?

I can understand the studio wanting to diversify their product, I just wish they'd go all out with this expansion. Obviously throwing more bodies at something isn't going to result in a better product, but knowing that full resources and attention are being focused on it would be ideal. Especially given how the past couple of seasons have gone and the significance of the location of this expansion and what it means to the people that have wanted it for such a long time.

Hoping for an awesome teaser tomorrow for the fractal and some exciting other news with the patch. I'd have to imagine it's more than just a fractal though I don't think it will come with a vision or an episode. I'm wondering if they saved the Legendary Armory for the expansion or if that's something that could be coming with this patch.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If Episode 7 and Episode 8 are released in February and April of
, will they be including a time travel machine? :wink:

I was wondering about that... :bleep_bloop:

I hope we can find out relatively soon some of the extremely basic things like:

Will it have a new profession? (presume no)Will it have a new race? (almost 100% chance of no, but worth pondering anyway since people have been asking for Tengu as far back as Factions of GW1)Will it have new elite specs (presume yes)Will it have new mount types (solid maybe on my guess)Will it have new weapons (presume no as they've not added any since launch)If it has a new profession or race, would it give another character slot as well? (since I don't think we'll get either, this question is likely moot)

I'm also itching to see enough of a trailer preview to be able to guess as to whether or not they will resort to cheap ethnic stereotypes like Eye of the North did (GW2 base game has it too, but only because it was stuck with what EotN did with Norn and Asura) or whether it will avoid that like Factions, Nightfall and Path of Fire all managed to do. This has been becoming important to me as I see some of the things people are asking for being racist ethnic stereotypes... ArenaNet has usually managed to avoid that, but it's still a concern as the dev team has been in flux a lot over the years and I get worried each time the reigns of control get passed around that somebody with a D&D past might creep in...

I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this! I'm super excited to go back to Cantha. I know my hopes are sky high (Heroes Mastery, Ritualist, Kurzicks/Luxons, new band of NPC's to run around with), but either way the GW2 team always surprises me with their beautiful art and creativity - writing on the other hand....... got way better in PoF :D

So here's my little bit of speculation. I've watched this trailer... more times than I should've. I keep going back and forth on who "they" are in the line "they need me." At first I thought, easy - Aurene and mortals, but then, why would Kunavaang(sp) be opposed to that ("it doesn't have to be this way"). So then I heard that the voice reading the line is a totally new character from the voice actor - which nixxed Aurene and other dragons we've seen.

I have to say, I'm definitely on the 'mother' bandwagon. I've since changed my opinion on who 'they' are. It's not mortals at all, it's the dragons. The dragons need this new character. The new character keeps relating how it's easy to forget what an ending is, and seeing as how there's an ending on the horizon, this new character is sympathizing with the ones who don't know what an ending really means, 'immortals' - dragons.

I think that's why Kunavaang is so opposed to this plan, 'it doesn't have to be this way.' Meaning, this new character doesn't need to intervene, the motions are already going, Aurene is set up to take the lead and it looks like Kunavaang is onboard with that, maybe. Still, who would want to take the side of destructive, insane, evil elder dragons? Well, who could ONLY take up their side? Their mother.

As for future speculation after dragons, I -really- hope we either delve deeply into the mysteries of Tyria (one of the reasons why GW1 was so attractive to me, each expansion brought new cultures, lore, and secrets to uncover) or we travel to a totally new space in the mists. I know we've been kinda dealing with the mists for a while with Kralk, but he left things in a huge disarray, not to mention the human's deities also kinda abandoned their duties there too. I keep thinking back to GW1 Utopia expansion (yes I know it was hacked and slashed into EotN and GW2, but still...) and I got the feeling that we were going to uncover some secret past the human deities had. Maybe that Utopia was a previously abandoned human settlement, maybe the previous pantheon before the current ones are still out there.

Either way, super excited for the expansion, and I hope there's a lot more features to help casual players like me (Heroes, please..... just give it to me D:)

Thanks for the trailer!

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Zizekent.2398" said:PPl saying "This looks like GW2's version of Mists of Pandaria", when its literally based on GW Factions, and it was long before MoP, wow fanboys needs to learn that WoW didnt created the things on MMOs.

They also look completely different.The only place that somewhat looked like Pandaria was/is Shing Jea.

However, Pandaria technically is older than Cantha.It's being mentioned 2002 by Chen (the Panda Brewmaster mercenary), four years prior to factions' release in 2006.

Ye, but it isnt even was playable/explorable territory, and wow players really needs to stop comparing their game to different mmos, and really needs to learn that wow didn't created the MMORPG genre.

@Zizekent.2398 said:

@Zizekent.2398 said:PPl saying "This looks like GW2's version of Mists of Pandaria", when its literally based on GW Factions, and it was long before MoP, wow fanboys needs to learn that WoW didnt created the things on MMOs.

Ye, but it isnt even was playable/explorable territory, and wow players really needs to stop comparing their game to different mmos, and really needs to learn that wow didn't created the MMORPG genre.

The trailer Sunqua Peak somewhat reminds me of The Jade Forest on Pandaria.And just like Sunqua Peak is the first peak we will have on how Cantha could look like, so is said Jade Forest the first place most people see on Pandaria.It might not mean anything, but it's a nice little parallel.

Well, don't know what the planning to release, but if it's in anyway similar to factions, it's not going to be similar to WoW: MoP in any way possible. I mean, I still remember Kaineng City. A place to hate, a place to love. It was a city so massive that covered more than one game zone. I mean, the main hub was just a plaza in that city, and the first two or three zones are just the city itself and some ninja weird cult constant ambushes. I remember how it was not just big, but also tall, as a fantasy/asian version of a Warhammer 40k Hive city.Also, If I recall correctly, there was racism and some hate over rival gangs, some ninja cults, assassins and slayers, and a throne and something about the emperor of Cantha being petrified or something. Can't remember much despite that city, but factions was not at all similar to MoP, so if they take the same lore we had on factions, it will be nothing like it. Of course they could just say "dragons did stuff" and remake everything, but... Well I just hope to have some of factions back.

@Kichwas.7152 said:

@"angelica.7406" said:When do you think EoD will come out?

If Episode 7 and Episode 8 are released in February and April of
, will they be including a time travel machine? :wink:

I was wondering about that... :bleep_bloop:

I hope we can find out relatively soon some of the extremely basic things like:

Will it have a new profession? (presume no)Will it have a new race? (almost 100% chance of no, but worth pondering anyway since people have been asking for Tengu as far back as Factions of GW1)Will it have new elite specs (presume yes)Will it have new mount types (solid maybe on my guess)Will it have new weapons (presume no as they've not added any since launch)If it has a new profession or race, would it give another character slot as well? (since I don't think we'll get either, this question is likely moot)

I'm also itching to see enough of a trailer preview to be able to guess as to whether or not they will resort to cheap ethnic stereotypes like Eye of the North did (GW2 base game has it too, but only because it was stuck with what EotN did with Norn and Asura) or whether it will avoid that like Factions, Nightfall and Path of Fire all managed to do. This has been becoming important to me as I see some of the things people are asking for being racist ethnic stereotypes... ArenaNet has usually managed to avoid that, but it's still a concern as the dev team has been in flux a lot over the years and I get worried each time the reigns of control get passed around that somebody with a D&D past might creep in...

At this point, chance of getting a new race is next to impossible and not really practical in business prospective too.There's just way too many armours/ back item/ weapons they need to deal with if they add in completely new model character.

Idrc what game-changing system they'd add this time, I just want something new and big to spice up my love for GW2 again, and hope it doesn't take exactly one year, but instead half a year.

But with global pandemic and the decline in GW2 development team, my hope is kinda slim.

Btw the reason why Anet has trouble adding new weapon in this game is 100% because of cosmetic feature of this game.There's just way too many weapon skins for each type of weapons , so every new weapon they add, they have to make like 500 more skins.

For 99% of other MMOs , this is not the case because they just release a new weapon type by adding 1~5 new weapon skin, and there's no "theme skins" for all types of weapons like GW2 does. (For example, when they release an iceborne weapon, they have to add it to add 17 weapons)

@"Aomine.5012" said:For 99% of other MMOs , this is not the case because they just release a new weapon type by adding 1~5 new weapon skin, and there's no "theme skins" for all types of weapons like GW2 does. (For example, when they release an iceborne weapon, they have to add it to add 17 weapons)

It's not the case for GW2 either.There haven't been Aquatic weapon skins in "theme" sets for years.

Arenanet can easily introduce, for example, Javelins without making skins for all the older Black Lion sets.The crafting skins, most of which are recolours anyway, and the three fractal colours would suffice for the start.In the case of Javelins, it might even be easier to just shrink existing spear models to make "new" skins.

Afaik, GW1 didn't add skins for new weapon types to older sets either.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Aomine.5012" said:For 99% of other MMOs , this is not the case because they just release a new weapon type by adding 1~5 new weapon skin, and there's no "theme skins" for all types of weapons like GW2 does. (For example, when they release an iceborne weapon, they have to add it to add 17 weapons)

It's not the case for GW2 either.There haven't been Aquatic weapon skins in "theme" sets for
years.

Arenanet can easily introduce, for example, Javelins without making skins for all the older Black Lion sets.The crafting skins, most of which are recolours anyway, and the three fractal colours would suffice for the start.In the case of Javelins, it might even be easier to just shrink existing spear models to make "new" skins.

Afaik, GW1 didn't add skins for new weapon types to older sets either.

Well, you do have the point.One thing Anet can do is make Aquatic weapons become land weapon on some of the Espec. (With totally new skill set ofc)I always love spear theme weapon, why's it water exclusive?Just make it a land weapon already for some espec. It'd be super awesome and probably easier to implant.

I would love to see player housing AND romance. Thus, your player could romance an NPC (there would be quite a few to choose from). Once at a certain romance level, that NPC would maintain your player housing, including planting and harvesting crops and harvesting any player housing nodes. You would need to equip your girlfriend/wife or boyfriend/husband with harvesting tools. At a certain point, you can marry the NPC.

Both Housing and Romance would require a series of quests (for Romance, not stupid, expensive quests that require months of grind. SImple ones like getting flowers or some other gifts, conversation choices, etc.).