closed due to lack of interest

BnooMaGoo.5690

I hope there is nothing like this particular chapter in the next expansionStorywise it was fine but having to fight Balthazar again & again only to face that sponge & failing miserably twice already kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I had to read up about ways to beat/cheese it(made the mistake of playing my Warrior character & I am not the best player which I am ok with)Will I ever finish Path of Fire to begin the grind for the mounts etc?

Koda the judge & Kodan the jury

peace

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:I hope there is nothing like this particular chapter in the next expansionStorywise it was fine but having to fight Balthazar again & again only to face that sponge & failing miserably twice already kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I had to read up about ways to beat/cheese it(made the mistake of playing my Warrior character & I am not the best player which I am ok with)Will I ever finish Path of Fire to begin the grind for the mounts etc?

peace

The only Mount that requires completion of the Path of Fire story is the Griffon.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:I hope there is nothing like this particular chapter in the next expansionStorywise it was fine but having to fight Balthazar again & again only to face that sponge & failing miserably twice already kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I had to read up about ways to beat/cheese it(made the mistake of playing my Warrior character & I am not the best player which I am ok with)Will I ever finish Path of Fire to begin the grind for the mounts etc?

peace

The
only
Mount that requires completion of the Path of Fire story is the Griffon.

Which is an optional mount and not required for any PoF content.

@aspirine.6852 said:Spellbreaker should do very well in pof whole story... I cant remember this fight at all, is it that annoying?

It is annoying to those who don't know how to use cc/have problems to time their cc to break his breakbar.

The time-window to cc the souleater might not be long, but it is predictable when it will come up as his animations indicate it.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Its been a while, and will re-posts after re-doing it this weekend. I want to say if you go in with others you get credit and/or though the non-instance owners will be mist-form they had an ability that could aid in the fight. More after a replay.

IIRC, going in with another person changes the other person to a wisp with some, small abilities that might help but, IMO, don't really impact the overall fight. I did it both pre and post nerf and didn't have too much trouble once I understood the attacks and patterns. /shrug

I do remember this dude, was quite a funky boss. I made the mistake of not bringing a weapon to do CC with (hammer got hugely buffed now btw for PvE, Picture 2.7k + 20% on CC'd targets). So anyway, the best and ideal way of killing it is CC'ing it when the bar is up and keep your distance when its not.

Other way to kill it ( the way i ended up doing it ) Take a rifle, and gun it down... but keep your distance! Other than that.. that was it.

Other tips to look for, Watch the boss, watch the animations, find a gap when you can weave an attack in, be it say, bulls rush, hammer knock down, consider weapons you don't usually take. I like monsters and champs that actually make you need to think about what to do, rather than be able to put a blind fold on and steamroll your way through the game. So as a result I do not and i will keep saying this, I do not want easy content in EoD, we already have too much of that in Gw2

I am not asking for easy content.But this instance you have to whittle ole Balthy down to 20% first.Then you face the spongemonster that sucks your soul.You can't access your inventory to do anything either.From a design perspective it could be better for those of us who maybe don't have all the madskills or ascended gear or minions or pets or stealth orwhatever may help out.I could ask for help if I fail again or I could rage quit.To me, that is the kind of design that needs to be looked at more closely in the future?Or not.

just my noob after many years but still playing opinion

I think they learned a bit about better handling story encounters with mandatory breakbar phases. Like a later fight in LWS 4 requires a breakbar phase that takes place in a room full of bones that you can pick up to whack the boss over the head with and break the bar if you did not already have a hard CC available.

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:I am not asking for easy content.But this instance you have to whittle ole Balthy down to 20% first.Then you face the spongemonster that sucks your soul.You can't access your inventory to do anything either.From a design perspective it could be better for those of us who maybe don't have all the madskills or ascended gear or minions or pets or stealth orwhatever may help out.I could ask for help if I fail again or I could rage quit.To me, that is the kind of design that needs to be looked at more closely in the future?Or not.

What server are you? I honestly do not mind assisting if you do need help.

@DaFishBob.6518 said:I think they learned a bit about better handling story encounters with mandatory breakbar phases. Like a later fight in LWS 4 requires a breakbar phase that takes place in a room full of bones that you can pick up to whack the boss over the head with and break the bar if you did not already have a hard CC available.

The big issue i have with that is it will encourage players to never consider taking a CC weapon with them anywhere. We need content that makes you change your weapons, change your play style on a different encounter, sure some classes get an advantage with CC's built into their kit like ele, but we all have a form of CC to use.

An after thought.This is the personal story.Not open world content with random rewards.The rewards are predetermined so there is only the benefit from completing that the devs assign to them.We have dynamic scaling in the open world.Maybe there should be artificially intelligent dynamic scaling when it comes to our personal story journey?The game sees this player has tried umpteen times AND FAILEDMaybe I have an overactive imaginationI know about cc & weapon swapping & trying different sigils or runes or what have youBut sometimes the design may just be flawed for dramatic purposes or to overinflate ones sense of accomplishmentOr antagonize ones sense of failure

Intelligent design

peace

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@DaFishBob.6518 said:I think they learned a bit about better handling story encounters with mandatory breakbar phases. Like a later fight in LWS 4 requires a breakbar phase that takes place in a room full of bones that you can pick up to whack the boss over the head with and break the bar if you did not already have a hard CC available.

The big issue i have with that is it will encourage players to never consider taking a CC weapon with them anywhere. We need content that makes you change your weapons, change your play style on a different encounter, sure some classes get an advantage with CC's built into their kit like ele, but we all have a form of CC to use.

Well I only said a bit. Ideally players should learn about how to use their skills properly to be able to handle situations like these but right now I'm just voicing some bit of optimism that they're not going to simply design an encounter to be as frustrating as the OP is implying.

I'll admit, I am a bit concerned about how my friends are gonna face this fight, considering that I had trouble with it pre-nerf (though I may have actually faced either a lag issue or a bug that significantly decreased the time the break bar was up, considering video evidence of the fight at the time was not what I experienced). If people are still facing difficulties with it, it may be worth taking another look at its balance. Really the most difficult part of the fight is the fact that the eater of souls regains massive amounts of health if that break bar ability goes off from what i remember. I'll take another look at it and see if it's still difficult.

@BnooMaGoo.5690 what kind of build are you using? can you link it so that we understand what your build is like? also have you tried the same battle on other classes?

@castlemanic.3198 said:I'll admit, I am a bit concerned about how my friends are gonna face this fight, considering that I had trouble with it pre-nerf (though I may have actually faced either a lag issue or a bug that significantly decreased the time the break bar was up, considering video evidence of the fight at the time was not what I experienced). If people are still facing difficulties with it, it may be worth taking another look at its balance. Really the most difficult part of the fight is the fact that the eater of souls regains massive amounts of health if that break bar ability goes off from what i remember. I'll take another look at it and see if it's still difficult.

@BnooMaGoo.5690 what kind of build are you using? can you link it so that we understand what your build is like? also have you tried the same battle on other classes?

It was def a game wide issue where the breakbar had only a second to be broken. It was quite insane before the nerf/fix. It still punishes not ccing of course, but not to the same extent. Given how poorly cc and breakbars is taught through the game, I'm not really surprised a few still struggle.

For me it's still a rubbish instance and the starting fight is just tedious (does the instance not have checkpoints? If not - that really is the fix for this)

@castlemanic.3198 said:I'll admit, I am a bit concerned about how my friends are gonna face this fight, considering that I had trouble with it pre-nerf (though I may have actually faced either a lag issue or a bug that significantly decreased the time the break bar was up, considering video evidence of the fight at the time was not what I experienced). If people are still facing difficulties with it, it may be worth taking another look at its balance. Really the most difficult part of the fight is the fact that the eater of souls regains massive amounts of health if that break bar ability goes off from what i remember. I'll take another look at it and see if it's still difficult.

@"BnooMaGoo.5690" what kind of build are you using? can you link it so that we understand what your build is like? also have you tried the same battle on other classes?

Just did this who thing 4 times on a spellbreaker. It is pretty easy. The worst run https://dps.report/j0Sb-20200910-180116_bosshttps://dps.report/KHGj-20200910-180229_boss

Died once. I think that is a reasonably good job of playing badly ...missed some dodges, didn't interrupt, interrupts at the wrong time, not paying attention to the breakbar, not using stun break correctly, bad timing on Full Counter, not weapon swapping at all. Can't think of other wrong things I could have done. It would be even easier if I could eat a fried golden dumpling but the dialogs drag on too long and to make the dumpling last long enough I would probably have to use a primer and I didn't want to involve gemstore items.

Buildhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAgilZwOYUMMWJOWPnveA-zxQYhogDcHJovyIwCIiEw2B-e

I was able to kill it on my first try on my berserker warrior and didn't have any difficulty with this particular fight, so I can't really help you there. I do agree that some of the bosses mechanics are boring and just a have a lot of health though.

Also I didn't know that you have to get Balthazar down to 20% lol. Was wondering what the threshold for that fight was. I got him down to 10% until the cutscene forcibly started. =)

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:I am not asking for easy content.But this instance you have to whittle ole Balthy down to 20% first.Then you face the spongemonster that sucks your soul.You can't access your inventory to do anything either.From a design perspective it could be better for those of us who maybe don't have all the madskills or ascended gear or minions or pets or stealth orwhatever may help out.I could ask for help if I fail again or I could rage quit.To me, that is the kind of design that needs to be looked at more closely in the future?Or not.

If you want to access your inventory midfight You need to break combat or die. Then you can make necessary changes and go back in with weapons/utilities/traits more suited for the encounter. You’re not locked permanently into combat once it begins in the vast majority of situations and death is always a way to get out of combat.

Also warrior has insane amounts of possible CC. Bulls charge, Stomp, Rampage, Kick, Throw Bolas, Fear Me! are all core utilities that CC. Try building for it and using it at the appropriate time and you shouldn’t have an issue. Also you absolutely don’t need ascended gear for this (it’s only a 5%ish stat increase over exotic anyway), but having decent gear (rare or higher, preferably exotics for expansion content with a sensible set of 6 runes) with damage stats and damage traits will get you a lot farther in the game than running some sort of bad gear/trait set built entirely for survivability

It’s an MMO designed around build variety and the ability to change and overcome situations based on your many available tools. Encounters shouldn’t be face roll easy and if they’re challenging you to rethink how you’re playing/what your build is doing then the encounter is doing the right thing

Now take this with a grain of salt, but on my warrior I really didn't breakbar him and I use axe axe/longbow and marauder ascended gear and trinkets to kill him. I freely admit that it was a long fight and I did it recently as well so this is post nerfs to the encounter. As well my food and utility had run out before the encounter so I was at my base power. I did however learn his pattern of hops to life drain early and had enough condition cleanse to keep from hitting max Vulnerable. As long as you evade away at the right time and range him the fight isn't that annoying. Tough yes but to me not annoying.

My build [&DQIEKxYqCyqmAAAAqAAAAGoAAAAKAAAAnAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKxAceNlFwuYYMEWJOWPqJVA-zRRYBRHIG+zIQpQFqAjeCAaEwZE-e

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:An after thought.This is the personal story.Not open world content with random rewards.The rewards are predetermined so there is only the benefit from completing that the devs assign to them.We have dynamic scaling in the open world.Maybe there should be artificially intelligent dynamic scaling when it comes to our personal story journey?The game sees this player has tried umpteen times AND FAILEDMaybe I have an overactive imaginationI know about cc & weapon swapping & trying different sigils or runes or what have youBut sometimes the design may just be flawed for dramatic purposes or to overinflate ones sense of accomplishmentOr antagonize ones sense of failure

Intelligent design

peace

You dont need a cc weapon just switch out utility as a warrior to kick and throw bolas for example