SEA server for Heaven's sake <3

Not sure if Anet understands, we have tons of ppl playing this game without telling people, and in Asia we have a large population of people playing with 200ms ping and it is getting difficult. Quick moves are not possible, PVP aint so.So Anet, possible if you ever consider to make a server in SEA/Asia? Archeage even launched their game in SEA recently and we are more than welcome for that hype train.Please Anet?

I think Anet understands more than anyone (certainly more than us) how many players there are from that region and whether it is worth them doing it. They would also need to make 3 servers minimum due to WvW requirements.

Now, don;t get me wrong, I am in no way against it, but if they thought it wasn't worth it at the game's peak, I'm not seeing them doing it 8 years on when the population is a likely a lot less and the majority of existing players from that region may not even want to move to those servers at such a late stage

@Randulf.7614 said:I think Anet understands more than anyone (certainly more than us) how many players there are from that region and whether it is worth them doing it. They would also need to make 3 servers minimum due to WvW requirements.

Now, don;t get me wrong, I am in no way against it, but if they thought it wasn't worth it at the game's peak, I'm not seeing them doing it 8 years on when the population is a likely a lot less and the majority of existing players from that region may not even want to move to those servers at such a late stage

To add to this, currently, NA and EU players can’t play together. It would mean a whole host of dead megaserver instances as well...

SEA Gamer here too, and sadly I must concur with Randulf. If we still haven't gotten a SEA server by now, we're definitely not getting one 8 years in and GW2 can't reasonably expect to see a big enough influx of new players to justify getting a 3rd region.

In PvE the problem is the reflex speed required to avoid champion/instanced boss moves, because the ping reduces the reaction time allowed. There are occasions where I have died and I've had to go back through my combat log to work out how. There are PvE achievements I will never get, or will only get through absolute luck, because of this.

SEA players are the real elite players! If we don't die during an encounter, then anyone with lower ping shouldn't either.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Trise.2865 said:China has its own servers, and apparently doesn't like to share. Show NCSoft you can compete with that (good luck, Australia's been trying since launch), and I'm sure they'll listen.

Chinese laws requires having separate servers so sharing would be illegal there.

Anet doesn't run GW2's Chinese version, SkyNet(空中网) does

VPNs can only help smooth out problems with intervening connections between you and ANet's servers. (Which has happened a lot more frequently ever since they switched to Amazon servers.) The fundamental lag caused by the distance between the two can never be overcome, which is why SEA/OCX players will never get anything better than 200+ ping even if they're on a fiber connection. At these levels you can still complete most of the game's content by compensating for the lag and doing things like dodging early or jumping before the screen shows the attack hitting you etc., but it still means that half (most?) of the difficulty comes from you trying to beat the lag and not the actual content. It's why Clocktower JP is way harder for high ping players because the final jump's position is always desynced from what is showing on your screen and you have to guess exactly how much different it is with trial and error. Likewise, for PvP there's a reason why there are no Asian teams in any of the championships. We're always playing under a significant handicap compared to EU or NA teams, so most serious Asian PvP'ers don't even bother trying. (Among the many reasons why GW2 e-sports never took off.)

• 2 months later...

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Trise.2865 said:China has its own servers, and apparently doesn't like to share. Show NCSoft you can compete with that (good luck, Australia's been trying since launch), and I'm sure they'll listen.

Chinese laws requires having separate servers so sharing would be illegal there.

also the chinese publisher (iirc Tencent/WeGame) maintains and pays for those servers not ArenaNet... they licensed gw2 and they get their updates from Anet.

that said SEA or OCE servers are unlikely... the best Asian and Aussie players can hope for is a West Coast US server. that would atleast give people from said regions about 100~180ms ping (depending on where in asia/oce)

@Dankazama.6970 said:god... just bought the expansion and played WVW. when there is 3 groups figthing i cant cast may skills. if i dodge spam i get disconnected.

i wish ANET build a SEA server. i will pay extra for that just to fix the lag. i love WVW but the Anet server doesnt love me...

If there were an SEA server (data center), you realize you would not be able to play with any NA or EU (servers) players?Would there be enough SEA server players to populate 9 worlds? 6 worlds? If only enough to populate 3 worlds, play may be a bit boring, as there would never be any other opponents.

1: 90% of bad pings are not caused by the proximity of the server (or lack of proximity).2: a lot of bad pings in Australia and New Zealand are caused by low standards for internetconnections.3: international lines have the potential to be so good that the delay is to be neglected. And those lines exist between Oceania region and NA and EU.

So in short, it is the ISP and the infrastructure causing these issues and not the lack of a regional server.Arenanet need to make a lot of investments to an infrastructure and the potential is too small to justify a further split in the playerbase, while the positive effect is much smaller then some people expect and the real problem lies elsewhere.

As other people have said the problem is most likely that there aren't enough SEA players to justify dedicated servers. Players on SEA servers wouldn't be able to play together with people on NA and EU ones, just like NA and EU can't play together. So unless there's at least 3 servers WvW would be impossible and PvE maps could be very empty.

As someone else said Anet knows better than we do how many people from SEA regions are playing, they'll be able to see exactly how many players log in each day and where in the world they are. I'm sure if they thought SEA servers were worth making they'd have done it already, but unfortunately unless something could be proven to trigger a big influx of new players from the region I think it's unlikely.

China got their own servers because Chinese law requires the game to be run by a Chinese publisher and a combination of the changes necessary to comply with their laws (such as different things being censored) and changes that publisher wanted to make means it's effectively a different version of the game and not compatible with NA and EU servers. It's nothing to do with having enough Chinese players to justify having unique servers.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:1: 90% of bad pings are not caused by the proximity of the server (or lack of proximity).2: a lot of bad pings in Australia and New Zealand are caused by low standards for internetconnections.3: international lines have the potential to be so good that the delay is to be neglected. And those lines exist between Oceania region and NA and EU.

This is such a stretch I can't really call any of it true.

Bad pings are only caused by something other than server proximity when the server is actually close. Australia, NZ, and SEA are a very long way from the US servers - western Australia is actually pretty close to the other side of the planet. In the best-case scenario, you can get about 180-200 ms from New Zealand, which has widespread fibreoptic coverage and two high-speed cables to the US West Coast. Everywhere else in the region would be looking at 200-300ms, best case. You can't increase the speed of light with a different ISP.

I'm one of the lucky ones on around 200ms, and while the game is certainly playable, I've never been able to "neglect" the delay like I can with games that have local servers. It's not hugely important to me, but it does make the Thief class difficult to play, and it also means I spend more time playing games that do offer local servers.

About 10 years ago, I would have agreed that there wasn't enough of a playerbase in the SEA region to justify servers there. But these days, if you don't have a viable SEA playerbase, it's probably because you don't have SEA servers.

@Ben K.6238 said:Bad pings are only caused by something other than server proximity when the server is actually close. Australia, NZ, and SEA are a very long way from the US servers - western Australia is actually pretty close to the other side of the planet. In the best-case scenario, you can get about 180-200 ms from New Zealand, which has widespread fibreoptic coverage and two high-speed cables to the US West Coast. Everywhere else in the region would be looking at 200-300ms, best case. You can't increase the speed of light with a different ISP.

I'm one of the lucky ones on around 200ms,

The servers are in the east coast -- iirc in Ashburn, VA. if the servers were anywhere in the west coast, expect your 200ms ping to go down to 155~180ms range same goes for the rest of OCE and SEA better pings if the servers were in the west coast

@Ben K.6238 said:

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:1: 90% of bad pings are not caused by the proximity of the server (or lack of proximity).2: a lot of bad pings in Australia and New Zealand are caused by low standards for internetconnections.3: international lines have the potential to be so good that the delay is to be neglected. And those lines exist between Oceania region and NA and EU.

This is such a stretch I can't really call any of it true.

Bad pings are only caused by something other than server proximity when the server is actually close. Australia, NZ, and SEA are a very long way from the US servers - western Australia is actually pretty close to the other side of the planet. In the best-case scenario, you can get about 180-200 ms from New Zealand, which has widespread fibreoptic coverage and two high-speed cables to the US West Coast. Everywhere else in the region would be looking at 200-300ms, best case. You can't increase the speed of light with a different ISP.

I'm one of the lucky ones on around 200ms, and while the game is certainly playable, I've never been able to "neglect" the delay like I can with games that have local servers. It's not hugely important to me, but it does make the Thief class difficult to play, and it also means I spend more time playing games that do offer local servers.

About 10 years ago, I would have agreed that there wasn't enough of a playerbase in the SEA region to justify servers there. But these days, if you don't have a viable SEA playerbase, it's probably because you don't have SEA servers.

Just look at this website. It shows pings between various cities. Just add e.g. Adelaide and see the differences. for example. From Amsterdam to washington the delay is 84ms. from Adelaide to Washington it is 242ms. While both distances are significant and are on different landmasses. So the issue really has to do with infrastructure.

Now please reread my earlier post again about the dissadvantages of a dedicated server and ask yourself why Arenanet should do something that is hurtfull to the whole community just cause some parts of the world refuse to have a decent infrastructure.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Now please reread my earlier post again about the dissadvantages of a dedicated server and ask yourself why Arenanet should do something that is hurtfull to the whole community just cause some parts of the world refuse to have a decent infrastructure.To be fair, it may not be that some parts of the world are refusing; rather, it may be that the current infrastructure is sufficient for a large majority of internet usage. It just so happens that GW2 may not deemed critical enough to improve the status quo in those areas.