closed due to lack of interest

BnooMaGoo.5690

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:I hope there is nothing like this particular chapter in the next expansionStorywise it was fine but having to fight Balthazar again & again only to face that sponge & failing miserably twice already kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I had to read up about ways to beat/cheese it(made the mistake of playing my Warrior character & I am not the best player which I am ok with)Will I ever finish Path of Fire to begin the grind for the mounts etc?

Koda the judge & Kodan the jury

peace

lol I had to do it like 5 times but it was because the chain of instances kept crashing the game at some point. It would just d/c and lose progress. Honestly it still might do it. I had that problem with multiple story instances during Path of Fire. I can't remember what I had to do to (seemingly) fix it at the time being but I think having certain checkpoints during these instances would be ideal. It feels like they just wind up adding them in later anyway.

@aspirine.6852 said:Spellbreaker should do very well in pof whole story... I cant remember this fight at all, is it that annoying?

It is heavily a dps check, unless you have retool to heavy defense. It has no mechanics. Just something that constantly charge in melee with high damage. It is a bad fight. Though not sure where it stands now after the nerf.

OP, if you have spell breaker fullY unlocked, use dagger/shield and axe/axe. Great sword if you need more survivability instead axe/axe. Use full counter on cool down. And use strength line, spell breaker and either defense or tactics. Pick traits and utilities that buff defense and/or dodging. Spell breaker played right (not really just rotating skills), should be able to avoid most incoming damage in pve while dealing decent damage.

Technically... You don't even NEED to CC him.

You can just run away when he leaps at you and tries to give you the succ. It's how I beat him my first go around as I did it as Reaper so didn't have much on demand CC to actually use.

CCing him makes the fight faster, but isn't necessary.

The only time I had difficulty (Outside of my first go since I didn't realize that he couldn't be beaten using the typical Reaper OW/PS strategy of rolling your face across your keyboard) was when doing it as Chrono because when he steals your stacked up Alacrity + Quickness + 25 Might + Fury + Swiftness he becomes a LOT more... Interesting...

Outside of this, honestly, the game needs MORE instances of encounters with breakbars in the personal story. Maybe that way people will figure out that CC skills exist and will actually use them in the many OW events that rely on them instead of sitting around being actively detrimental by scaling breakbars by existing...

@"BnooMaGoo.5690" said:I hope there is nothing like this particular chapter in the next expansionStorywise it was fine but having to fight Balthazar again & again only to face that sponge & failing miserably twice already kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I had to read up about ways to beat/cheese it(made the mistake of playing my Warrior character & I am not the best player which I am ok with)Will I ever finish Path of Fire to begin the grind for the mounts etc?

peace

I'm genuinely confused where the difficulty is. I beat it using nothing but auto attacks for 2 and a half minutes and the occasional CC while wearing all yellow tier gear. I can't imagine how anyone can put in more effort than this and somehow struggle.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

@"BnooMaGoo.5690" said:I hope there is nothing like this particular chapter in the next expansionStorywise it was fine but having to fight Balthazar again & again only to face that sponge & failing miserably twice already kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I had to read up about ways to beat/cheese it(made the mistake of playing my Warrior character & I am not the best player which I am ok with)Will I ever finish Path of Fire to begin the grind for the mounts etc?

peace

I'm genuinely confused where the difficulty is. I beat it using nothing but auto attacks for 2 and a half minutes and the occasional CC while wearing all yellow tier gear. I can't imagine how anyone can put in more effort than this and somehow struggle.

well you used CC ...

but even that isn't really necessary https://dps.report/KHn9-20200911-181024_boss this isn't rare gear but it is full magi which is probably the second worse when it comes to dps.accidentally broke the last two bars due to overload earth and frost aura's chilled but it would have died event without those

@Taril.8619 said:Technically... You don't even NEED to CC him.

You can just run away when he leaps at you and tries to give you the succ. It's how I beat him my first go around as I did it as Reaper so didn't have much on demand CC to actually use.

CCing him makes the fight faster, but isn't necessary.

The only time I had difficulty (Outside of my first go since I didn't realize that he couldn't be beaten using the typical Reaper OW/PS strategy of rolling your face across your keyboard) was when doing it as Chrono because when he steals your stacked up Alacrity + Quickness + 25 Might + Fury + Swiftness he becomes a LOT more... Interesting...

Outside of this, honestly, the game needs MORE instances of encounters with breakbars in the personal story. Maybe that way people will figure out that CC skills exist and will actually use them in the many OW events that rely on them instead of sitting around being actively detrimental by scaling breakbars by existing...

On the other hand break bars are a very boring mechanic. :/

@aspirine.6852 said:Spellbreaker should do very well in pof whole story... I cant remember this fight at all, is it that annoying?

Its drags you in and insta kills you if you are 2 secs to slow.

Spellbreaker is bad because it has terrible ranged options.. and nearly every boss forces ranged combat or you are dead...

A lot of classes cc are poor and are on massive cooldowns or are just rinsed off in seconds..

@Dante.1508 said:

Spellbreaker is bad because it has terrible ranged options.. and nearly every boss forces ranged combat or you are dead...

A lot of classes cc are poor and are on massive cooldowns or are just rinsed off in seconds..

Which bosses are you referring to? Combat in this game heavily favors melee over ranged.

@Dante.1508 said:

@"aspirine.6852" said:Spellbreaker should do very well in pof whole story... I cant remember this fight at all, is it that annoying?

Did you watch the video Shikaru.7618 linked?even missed 1 of the cc breaks and was not insta killed at all, just had to turn and press w to stay away from boss

@Dante.1508 said:

Weird that you feel that way, I usually favor my spellbreaker for bounties and dailies.. I agree that some bosses are not melee friendly.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

peace

As @Shikaru.7618 kindly demonstrated, this boss has one single mechanic, use CC skill upon Breakbar, that's it.Other than that you can just circle strafe while Auto Attacking in rare gear, or burst him in ~10-20 seconds with proper gear and damage rotation.

After the Core game + 4 Seasons of Living World and 2 Expansions of endgame/Max level content, I think it's fair for the Dev's to assume that people know at least the most basic combat mechanics by now.

What I remember about this Boss when first playing PoF on launch, before it was nerfed further after outcry, was being disappointed after all the buildup of this instance to then nuke the Eater of Souls in seconds, kind of thinking it was just a normal cool mob in that zone of which I had to fight through a bunch before facing some cool endboss, yet that was it.

Pretty unfortunate that we can never have interesting Story content in which the gameplay represents the story stakes and is actually an engaging difficulty, because some vocal players can't be bothered to even learn the basic mechanics of the game and then instead of improving, pressure Anet into nerfing already easy content further until everything is eventually just hold down 1 and win.

@Linken.6345 said:

Did you watch the video Shikaru.7618 linked?even missed 1 of the cc breaks and was not insta killed at all, just had to turn and press w to stay away from boss

I never said a veteran can't pass it, i even passed it, i was explaining what it does and why its annoying. aren't you a raider anyway?

@aspirine.6852 said:

Weird that you feel that way, I usually favor my spellbreaker for bounties and dailies.. I agree that some bosses are not melee friendly.

Warrior really needs better ranged options..

@Dante.1508 said:

I never said a veteran can't pass it, i even passed it, i was explaining what it does and why its annoying. aren't you a raider anyway?

Yes I heal in raids what do that got to do with eater of souls fight?

@ASP.8093 said:I saw someone have trouble with this fight because they average 4k ping. They did manage to make it, eventually (I ended up spectating as a mostly-useless wisp).

The thing is, 4k ping is entirely unplayable even by the standards of gaming in, like, 1996.

that's like 90s dial-up with bad copper wiring and a shoddy patchwork connection to and from the telephone pole kind-of lag :o

This boss was rough on release before the nerf but now it's pretty easy. You either commit to breaking the bar or ignore it altogether (which I recommend to most people) and just run away when you see the chain appear on you or just before. You just dps it, then run away until it stops draining health with the Inhale mechanic., then back to dps, rinse and repeat.

@Linken.6345 said:

Raiders are far and above the general population of casual gamers, so a boss like that is run of the mill to you, to someone like me a person who doesn't raid ever its very hard, annoyingly so.I just did this the other day and i still died three times before i realized what i had to do.. Its why this thread spoke to me as such. It tethers you drags you in damaging you the whole time then insta kills you before you can even think i need to CC this twerp.. then its downed and dead..As i said its not fun for many.

@Dante.1508 said:

Raiders are far and above the general population of casual gamers, so a boss like that is run of the mill to you, to someone like me a person who doesn't raid ever its very hard, annoyingly so.I just did this the other day and i still died three times before i realized what i had to do.. Its why this thread spoke to me as such. It tethers you drags you in damaging you the whole time then insta kills you before you can even think i need to CC this twerp.. then its downed and dead..As i said its not fun for many.

So what is your suggestion? Story bosses should never have any mechanic? Can be defeated just by autoattacking without moving? How much of the game's mechanics should be thrown away for story encounters?

Eater of Souls is by no means perfect when it comes to design but it also has a perfectly reasonable "obvious" option of running away while it is trying to drain your health. As long as you can prevent it from healing through the life steal nothing else really matters.

It does have a pull but you can still run away after that.It also has a launch you but that is what stun breaks are for.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

So what is your suggestion? Story bosses should never have any mechanic? Can be defeated just by autoattacking without moving? How much of the game's mechanics should be thrown away for story encounters?

Eater of Souls is by no means perfect when it comes to design but it also has a perfectly reasonable "obvious" option of running away while it is trying to drain your health. As long as you can prevent it from healing through the life steal nothing else really matters.

It does have a pull but you can still run away after that.It also has a launch you but that is what stun breaks are for.

My suggestion is keep these mechanics in Raids and Fractals, they aren't needed in a story where 90% of customers are playing to watch a story and enjoying the open world.. Very very different game modes..

@Dante.1508 said:

My suggestion is keep these mechanics in Raids and Fractals, they aren't needed in a story where 90% of customers are playing to watch a story and enjoying the open world.. Very very different game modes..

I'm one of those players who primarily plays for the story and I hope they continue to put in mechanics like this into story missions. If I wanted to watch a story, I'd put on a movie or a tv show or get a book.

I do hope they don't make any more that are as long as this mission is so that players can regroup without having to repeat a long mission. Which is what I think half the problem is with this mission. The first half is a long mission and the first time through it, you don't know that it's a forced you lose mission. So a player who is not the best enters it, that first half takes forever and a day and then get to Eater of Souls... I pity the ones that then got a disconnect at the end as that mission tends to be one of the ones that disconnects more often than others.

Personally, I'm kind of sad he got nerfed. I understand the reasoning and I don't disagree on the nerf it got. I just happened to beat him before his nerf and it took some time. Now the next time I go in, I won't be able to know if me killing him quicker is due to my skills increasing or the nerf.

I went ahead and did a demo of this fight. I think it's a good example of a fight where proper attention to the breakbar mechanic and high damage make a sometimes tricky fight much easier. I am actually using dire gear here, too. So don't think you need to run some sort of full berserker power burst build to pull this off. The time between breakbars is quite long. I wasn't able to tell because the boss didn't last long enough, but I think we're talking 20-30 second range here. You have plenty of time to burn this guy while he does nothing much to you. Just be ready on that CC at the start and take him down!

@Dante.1508 said:My suggestion is keep these mechanics in Raids and Fractals, they aren't needed in a story where 90% of customers are playing to watch a story and enjoying the open world.. Very very different game modes..

That doesn't answer how low it needs to go. They could allow players to one shot all the enemies and now you have a very stupid story because the characters are making a big deal about the enemy and players just waltz in and effortless kill them.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I went ahead and did a demo of this fight. I think it's a good example of a fight where proper attention to the breakbar mechanic and high damage make a sometimes tricky fight much easier. I am actually using dire gear here, too. So don't think you need to run some sort of full berserker power burst build to pull this off. The time between breakbars is quite long. I wasn't able to tell because the boss didn't last long enough, but I think we're talking 20-30 second range here. You have plenty of time to burn this guy while he does nothing much to you. Just be ready on that CC at the start and take him down!

The bar comes up ever 22s and last for 4s

I wanted to contrast my break&burn strategy with a video from another player who attempts to use kiting and line-of-sight instead. This player succeeds and is not really in much danger. So this strategy will safely get the job done. However, they spend a lot of time not dealing damage to the boss in order to bypass this mechanic. As you can see, every time the boss succeeds in draining life it's a significant setback, prolonging the fight and forcing the player to deal with even more life drain attacks.

Again, this is why experienced players often recommend high damage builds for open world/story content. Playing too defensively can make an easy fight into a bit of a nightmare!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:This player succeeds and is not really in much danger. So this strategy will safely get the job done. However, they spend a lot of time not dealing damage to the boss in order to bypass this mechanic. As you can see, every time the boss succeeds in draining life it's a significant setback, prolonging the fight and forcing the player to deal with even more life drain attacks.

Again, this is why experienced players often recommend high damage builds for open world/story content. Playing too defensively can make an easy fight into a bit of a nightmare!

Most of that isn't really true except for people recommending high damage builds. That is a way to bypass but not the only way. It is probably one of the worst ways since it wastes so much time and involves making it impossible to see what the boss is doing. The reason it took so long is not because of a low damage build it is because of a bad strategy.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:This player succeeds and is not really in much danger. So this strategy will safely get the job done. However, they spend a lot of time not dealing damage to the boss in order to bypass this mechanic. As you can see, every time the boss succeeds in draining life it's a significant setback, prolonging the fight and forcing the player to deal with even more life drain attacks.

Most of that isn't really true except for people recommending high damage builds. That is a way to bypass but not the only way. It is probably one of the worst ways since it wastes so much time and involves making it impossible to see what the boss is doing. The reason it took so long is not because of a low damage build it is because of a bad strategy.

Oh, I agree 100%. I probably should have placed the two videos I was comparing together in the same post for the sake of clarity.

I was comparing this strategy (which is indeed not very good!) with a much more direct 17 second break&burn demo I recorded tonight. Obviously, 17 seconds is a better outcome than 12 minutes! The point is to illustrate just how much of a difference understanding and properly handling the mechanics of a fight like this can make!