Am I the only 1 who loves underwater combat?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only underwater combat I play on a more or less regular basis is the underwater fractal during my daily CM+T4 runs, and i hate it...(50% because the fractal design. 50% because of the uw combat)Most uw weapons/skills just seem useless for anything beyond open world auto-attack spamming. 3-axis movement feels kinda clunky, especially when dealing with mechanics.So if ANet decides to release some more challenging UW content they need to seriously overhaul it.

@Lynx.9058 said:Also, elite specializations should in some (or many) cases unlock an additional aquatic weapon as well. As an engineer, regardless of elite spec, I only get the harpoon gun underwater - even though holosmith and scrapper are both melee-centric specs. Why not add a spear option when using these specs so we have a melee weapon underwater?

At least holosmith gets to use photon forge. Scrapper gets nothing. Engineer has the worst underwater weapon in the entire game by far, ANYTHING would be an improvement. Too bad anet has given up, if they ever even cared about underwater combat.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@Lynx.9058 said:Also, elite specializations should in some (or many) cases unlock an additional aquatic weapon as well. As an engineer, regardless of elite spec, I only get the harpoon gun underwater - even though holosmith and scrapper are both melee-centric specs. Why not add a spear option when using these specs so we have a melee weapon underwater?

At least holosmith gets to use photon forge. Scrapper gets nothing. Engineer has the worst underwater weapon in the entire game by far, ANYTHING would be an improvement. Too bad anet has given up, if they ever even cared about underwater combat.

All the more reason scrapper should also unlock spears

The only people who do not just cry because they have to change their rotations because "X" ability doesn't work underwater, or the tired "I don't do as much damage underwater" argument, if anyone cares to notice you also do not take as much damage underwater so it all evens out except their time to kill is slightly longer. Almost forgot the "I can't optimize my character" argument, because my underwater skills "need" a different set of runes, Oh noes!

@kratan.4619 said:if anyone cares to notice you also do not take as much damage underwater so it all evens out except their time to kill is slightly longer.

this is true for the most part... almost no danger from underwater mobs/bosses in open world or instanced content (from what i noticed atleast) -- except for those risen shark champions / legendary bloodstone sharks in the open world...

@Lynx.9058 said:

All the more reason scrapper should also unlock spears

Yes, they should. But unlikely that they will get anything.

I did read a couple posts and think it would be interesting if UW combat were extended to WvW.
Imagine a UDT planting bombs and gaining access to castles/keeps through a basement while a second team uses standard flaming rams on the gates and walls.It would certainly call for a lot more collaboration between independent teams both for offence and defense.

I don't mind it. But i wouldn't want Anet to focus on UW. Plus some classes really have terrible UW skills and some are OP. Anyway i'm gonna flip if our new specs and new weapons will be UW only. That'll be a huuuuuge huuuge failure. Now.. if you can actually use all those weapons and skills ON land and everywhere (Tyria/PoF/HoT/PvP/WvW/Fracts/Raids) that's totally a different scenario then. Using a trident/spear/harpoon on land.. might look interesting. But to balance all those new skills brought on land? That's hell alot of work for devs.

@Hesione.9412 said:I keep hoping for an underwater wvw map.

I used my ranger pets under water to attack people swimming shark was great at it too. It did tick some people off though but was fun to do. I like to think of underwater combat as combat from all directions including above and below . Your profession should have weapons for underwater combat and 6-0 skills for it too. Once out of the water the land weapons and skills take over automatically and visa versa.

I just did the blood shark aforementioned, and I have to say it reminded me of my two major gripes: we aren't able to have builds that work underwater as well as they do on land, and, hoo boy, that "SWIM TO THE SURFACE!!!" prompt when downed had people swimming away from resses left right centre, you name it. Apart from those two things I quite enjoy it.

I love the concept of underwater combat but what killed it for me is the pacing and melee difficultyUnlike on land, you don't use your movement that much which for melee turn into take turn slapping each other until one of you die, it's long and tediousThrow in the wide open space mean you have to constantly elevate yourself to the enemy level. Also there aren't any traits unique for underwater, few skills can't be use underwater make some builds useless which is unfortunate for group underwaterI really wish the new expansion will fix these issues but i have my doubt

I've never disliked underwater combat. My issue has always been the skills and how they are used underwater have felt completely out of balance between classes. If ANet had actually spent a little more time on skills and how they work, people would not be hating as much.

Underwater is a vastly underused area of the game that could have been better. The is ANets pattern however...good ideas, poor execution. There are many systems in game that suffer from this. Wooden Potatoes had a video talking about this issue at some point.

Especially with the new skimmer diving skill, Anet could create interesting underwater worlds. Sometimes, the fights can be a hassle and the skills are very limited. Sooner or later, we will deal with the deep sea dragon and I somehow expect actual water combat which needs definately work. Maybe Anet will do that for EoD. I think it was not coincidence that it took until the end of 2016 (LS3, A Crack in the Ice) until we finally got ascended water head gear.