Suggestion to reduce Novelty trolling - minimum distance between novelty drops and interactive items

shawnps.5061

It seems the bobblehead trolling is getting worse. I've stopped doing the cache keepers in drizzlewood because someone regularly drops a bobblehead novelty in the middle of the chests. It's now happening on drizzlewood section completions with the lord chests. Of course there is no way to know who dropped it so it can't be reported, and while it's trolling, it's not a violation of gameplay. It just sucks and takes away from map events. Wouldn't a straightforward solution be to prevent novelties from being placed within a certain radius of interactive map items like chests? That way those that enjoy novelties can continue to do so but it would eliminate the enjoyment some folks get from tricking people into clicking on them.

@"shawnps.5061" said:It seems the bobblehead trolling is getting worse. I've stopped doing the cache keepers in drizzlewood because someone regularly drops a bobblehead novelty in the middle of the chests. It's now happening on drizzlewood section completions with the lord chests. Of course there is no way to know who dropped it so it can't be reported, and while it's trolling, it's not a violation of gameplay. It just sucks and takes away from map events. Wouldn't a straightforward solution be to prevent novelties from being placed within a certain radius of interactive map items like chests? That way those that enjoy novelties can continue to do so but it would eliminate the enjoyment some folks get from tricking people into clicking on them.

while not a "fix", you can try binding a key to "Target: Next Ally" and stand next to the chest keep pressing it til your target focuses on the chest, then press F / use -- that should help you go around the trolling and carry on with your business

(this also works for food and 2~3 banners stacked on top of each other and you being unable to use one or the other)

• 1 month later...

ANET doesn't care about any sort of trolling, whether intentional or not. i have posted about personal merchants that only the owner can use, but everyone else gets a 'talk' interact being spawned on chests so people have to hunt around for chest interact, personal black lion merchants being spawn on dragonsblood spear barrel at north meta on thunderhead peaks interfering with meta, and so on. Intentional trolling has been reported and ANET doesn't care, even if it's one person constantly doing it day in and day out for weeks interfering with a meta. I am now boycotting that meta because if anet doesn't care why should i try and help or do that meta. i don't care to find a timeslot without a troll. Its an annoyance that i just don't care to deal with.

@"Tiilimon.6094" said:Wouldn't it still be possible to drop the novelties before any chests have spawned?

Gotta think like a troll about these things.

I believe they always spawn in set locations right? So just have "no novelty zones" similar to places you can't mount/glide.

• 5 weeks later...

I also had the same issue in Dragonfall, multiple times! Sometimes it's bobblehead, sometimes it's a vendor. One time they placed them on 5 different chests! And in Dragonfall you don't have time for pixel hunt, because the next part of the event is right on the corner (champ train).I wrote an issue ticket to ArenaNet to address the problem, even suggested solutions like enforced distance between the items; but they redirected me to here to the forum.I will try the "select next ally" next time, I really hope it works, because this becomes so frustrating. You don't want to spend hours on a meta only to find this in the end.

• 5 months later...

okay so having recently gotten back into HoT and dealing with the pretty much constant chest trolls, I'm wondering if there is another option. Why not have separate hotkeys for action items? One for GW2 generated items (such as chests, looting, talking to characters) and a different one used for player generated items (such as portals, merchants, novelties, etc.). That way those that are interested in novelties can still use them while those who aren't interested aren't impacted. It's selective by the circumstances one finds themselves in.