LF: a necro build with good survivability

Sifu.9745

I've been doing some Power Marauder Reaper greatsword unranked PvP and omg ... Survivability is just awful! At the moment i touch Greatsword i am usually downed within 3 to 5 seconds. If i swap to my Axe/Focus the dmg is just pathetic. Reaper Shroud is great dmg but hard to hit anyone and usually it lasts just a few seconds. I take a Shout with 33% dmg reduction, Spectral Armor with another 33% dmg reduction, Spectral walk but nothing helps me staying alive enough time to get some kills. Not sure what am i doing wrong, because in open world Reaper survivability is perfect.

On my Thief and Mesmer pvp i have survivability x 3, compered to this useless class, thx to infinite dodges, stealth, mobility, kiting etc.So i am looking for a non reaper build for PvP: it could be scourge, core, whatever as long as it has way better survivability than GS Reaper build. I was thinking about double ranged weapon, Scepter + Staff, with condi stats, if possible. This profession certainly doesn't suits my melee kind of playstyle: it's way too slow. I will stick with Thief and burn guardian when i wanna play some melee oriented builds and Necro only for ranged.Sorry for English ...

Bruce Lee once said, that the best offense is also the best defense.

Reaper functions on exactly this principle. You can use any weapon you want or any build you desire, but that won't change your survivability.

I wrote a small summary of how to sustain on Necromancer a while back in a comment but there's a bug on the forums that won't allow me to go look back and post it here so i'll just retell it again.

The way to look at Necromancer is the following : That while you are in shroud, you can not be killed. This isn't just an opinion, this is an objective truth about the mechanic. When you enter shroud, your life points are protected by another set of life points, and in practice while you are in this shroud you are invulnerable to death.And conversely while outside of shroud, you are vulnerable to death, and in this vulnerable state, you need to survive for at least 10 seconds and not die.

Thus the longer you are in shroud, the longer you are protected from death. In addition, the longer you are in shroud, the more time you give to your cool downs out of shroud, and so the longer you are in shroud, the easier it becomes to manage your cooldowns, and use them all in 10 seconds to help keep yourself alive.

The caveat here, is that within these 10 seconds, you need to be able to build your shroud by gaining life force. Based on the above, the more life force you can gain in a shorter time frame (10 seconds being the minimum time frame) then the longer you will be able to sustain and re sustain if you can reliably do this every 30 seconds (10+20=30 seconds). In this way, you can look at Life force as just being health points, that you are just storing for later use.

So out of shroud, your job is to survive, and to also use abilities that will gain you maximum shroud, so that you go into shroud for as long as possible, so that when you come out of shroud, your cooldowns are back, which helps you survive and puts you in a cycle of gaining life force to enter shroud.

Now think about the meta build and what it's actually based on. Flesh Wurm and Spectral Walk are disengagement tools because they don't help you gain shroud (They do but it's very minimal.) so even though the meta is nice and all, it is not designed to help you survive. Nor is it really designed well at all in my personal opinion, but it's designed to be used with a Tempest hugging you.

If you want to survive on your lonesome, you need to look at how you gain life force, and then compressing that function into as little skills as possible so that you can allocate other skills to cover other weaknesses (like condition cleansing, or speed or simply adding more damage)

Speaking of adding damage, while you are in shroud, this is also when you do the most damage and is not only where you want to spend the most time, but also where you want to be as aggressive as possible, because again, the best offense is also the best defense. Hitting your opponent in the face with 5k Auto's will force them to dodge, or use their heal. This is the perfect way to corner your opponent into doing something they don't want to do, and you use that to your advantage by punishing them. Once they waste their dodge, you punish with Shroud 5-> Autos. Once they cast their heal, you either interrupt with a fear or use Shroud 4 to inflict poison on them-> Autos. Ideally you want to be counting their dodges so that you can punish them accordingly.

Also final tip, Do not spin to win+executioners the moment you enter shroud. It's a huge "hello i'm new to this class" move. Your biggest damage in shroud is the auto attack, and you use the others as setups to land more auto attacks or to make your auto attacks more effective.

Hope the above is helpful for you.

@"Sifu.9745" said:I've been doing some Power Marauder Reaper greatsword unranked PvP and omg ... Survivability is just awful! At the moment i touch Greatsword i am usually downed within 3 to 5 seconds. If i swap to my Axe/Focus the dmg is just pathetic. Reaper Shroud is great dmg but hard to hit anyone and usually it lasts just a few seconds. I take a Shout with 33% dmg reduction, Spectral Armor with another 33% dmg reduction, Spectral walk but nothing helps me staying alive enough time to get some kills. Not sure what am i doing wrong, because in open world Reaper survivability is perfect.

On my Thief and Mesmer pvp i have survivability x 3, compered to this useless class, thx to infinite dodges, stealth, mobility, kiting etc.So i am looking for a non reaper build for PvP: it could be scourge, core, whatever as long as it has way better survivability than GS Reaper build. I was thinking about double ranged weapon, Scepter + Staff, with condi stats, if possible. This profession certainly doesn't suits my melee kind of playstyle: it's way too slow. I will stick with Thief and burn guardian when i wanna play some melee oriented builds and Necro only for ranged.Sorry for English ...

You're doing everything wrong on the Reaper. The Reaper's main defense is its offensive pressure. You have to ditch all of this defensive play you're trying to implement and understand how to land your offensive pressure and when it is the right time to apply that pressure so the CDs aren't wasted. Outside of that, Reaper defensive play isn't within fat defense selections, it's within your positioning and rotations.

You referenced that you play Thief and Mesmer so you may not yet be seeing the difference in playstyle here between DPS + Roamer and Team Fighter. The difference is that on a Thief/Mesmer you're looking to jump in, deal damage, and evasively leave before taking damage so you can reproach and do it again. On a Necro that doesn't work that way at all. On a Necro you have to take damage to deal damage. What you need to do is start viewing your approach as the Reaper from the standpoint of: "When I approach and lay my pressure, will I be dealing more damage to the opponents than they will deal to me?" If the answer to that is YES then apply your pressure. If the answer is no or uncertain, keep kiting and maintain a sound position until there is an opportunity to leverage your DPS/CC pressure in a way that will Rock > Scissor the opponent's offensive push. That's what Reaper is good at.

If you really want a tanky necro build, go core. Scourge isn't that great right now outside of a minion meme build that feels strong in lower tiers but gets trashed by higher tiered opponents.

Thx for your help guys. I will give this spec another try. If it won't work in my hands in next couple of days, what do you think about condition Reaper build? I've been told that Reaper can be played as pure condi as well, with Scepter/x and Staff + burning on Shroud auto attack. What do you think? Because core condi is a bit low at dmg imo, and Scourge seems too complicated ...

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Sifu.9745" said:I've been doing some Power Marauder Reaper greatsword unranked PvP and omg ... Survivability is just awful! At the moment i touch Greatsword i am usually downed within 3 to 5 seconds. If i swap to my Axe/Focus the dmg is just pathetic. Reaper Shroud is great dmg but hard to hit anyone and usually it lasts just a few seconds. I take a Shout with 33% dmg reduction, Spectral Armor with another 33% dmg reduction, Spectral walk but nothing helps me staying alive enough time to get some kills. Not sure what am i doing wrong, because in open world Reaper survivability is perfect.

You're doing everything wrong on the Reaper. The Reaper's main defense is its offensive pressure. You have to ditch all of this defensive play you're trying to implement and understand how to land your offensive pressure and when it is the right time to apply that pressure so the CDs aren't wasted. Outside of that, Reaper defensive play isn't within fat defense selections, it's within your positioning and rotations.

You referenced that you play Thief and Mesmer so you may not yet be seeing the difference in playstyle here between DPS + Roamer and Team Fighter. The difference is that on a Thief/Mesmer you're looking to jump in, deal damage, and evasively leave before taking damage so you can reproach and do it again. On a Necro that doesn't work that way at all. On a Necro you have to take damage to deal damage. What you need to do is start viewing your approach as the Reaper from the standpoint of: "When I approach and lay my pressure, will I be dealing more damage to the opponents than they will deal to me?" If the answer to that is YES then apply your pressure. If the answer is no or uncertain, keep kiting and maintain a sound position until there is an opportunity to leverage your DPS/CC pressure in a way that will Rock > Scissor the opponent's offensive push. That's what Reaper is good at.

If you really want a tanky necro build, go core. Scourge isn't that great right now outside of a minion meme build that feels strong in lower tiers but gets trashed by higher tiered opponents.

Scourge is insanely good rn, not as a minion mancer, but as a menders bunker which according to top 10 level necros I know is actually tankier than that bunker core build ppl played and yet can pull off good damage with boon corrupt converting to boons and also side node becuz of aoe pressure. I’d say scourge is alittle better than core, but transfusions might mess with Rez signets.However as far as recommending a build I would say recommend core if you care about how cheese it is- there’s a reason scourge was meta in 2s becuz if it didn’t win before timer you know it would win after and that’s cheesy

@Dantheman.3589 said:

Scourge is insanely good rn, not as a minion mancer, but
as a menders bunker which according to top 10 level necros I know is actually tankier than that bunker core build ppl played and yet can pull off good damage
with boon corrupt converting to boons and also side node becuz of aoe pressure. I’d say scourge is alittle better than core, but transfusions might mess with Rez signets.However as far as recommending a build I would say recommend core if you care about how cheese it is- there’s a reason scourge was meta in 2s becuz if it didn’t win before timer you know it would win after and that’s cheesy

Yeah I actually think something might be bugged with the damage on Scourge when it is wearing Mender. I have a buddy who's been playing this recently, and when we 1v1 spar to test things out, it doesn't feel like the damage is much less than if he were wearing Carrion. I mean seriously. Not too sure what's going on there but something is off about it you pay attention to it. At one point he was dueling CKOD and even CKOD had mentioned that the damage felt awfully high for a mender condi build.

The reason why I suggested Core to the OP was because it's a lot easier to play than Scourge.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Scourge is insanely good rn, not as a minion mancer, but
as a menders bunker which according to top 10 level necros I know is actually tankier than that bunker core build ppl played and yet can pull off good damage
with boon corrupt converting to boons and also side node becuz of aoe pressure. I’d say scourge is alittle better than core, but transfusions might mess with Rez signets.However as far as recommending a build I would say recommend core if you care about how cheese it is- there’s a reason scourge was meta in 2s becuz if it didn’t win before timer you know it would win after and that’s cheesy

Yeah I actually think something might be bugged with the damage on Scourge when it is wearing Mender. I have a buddy who's been playing this recently, and when we 1v1 spar to test things out, it doesn't feel like the damage is much less than if he were wearing Carrion. I mean seriously. Not too sure what's going on there but something is off about it you pay attention to it. At one point he was dueling CKOD and even CKOD had mentioned that the damage felt awfully high for a mender condi build.

The reason why I suggested Core to the OP was because it's a lot easier to play than Scourge.

It’s mostly due to how you can corrupt a lot of boons which reduces many of enemies defense and offense whilst giving you those boons instantly in the same intensity and without cd. If you corrupt players might it’s very ez to get 25 might not too mention focus damage is overtuned on top so I’ve seen that hit for 8k as menders. Also the aoe spam is cancer like renegade or guard on top of that- makes it insanely hard to 1v1 them on nodes, but it’s often very ez to win a 2v1 becuz they don’t have much for kiting.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Dantheman.3589 said:not too mention focus damage is overtuned on top so I’ve seen that hit for 8k as menders.This is not possible in pvp without massive team buffs - not even on zerk amulet. 8k is achieveable in wvw for a necro running at least ascended marauder with a ton of damage multipliers.

There are no team buffs scourge self stacks 25 might on its own removing 3 boons with 25 might on an opponent with possibly a few vuln can very ezily hit for 6k + I’d say 8k is just a big outlier, who knows they may have had scholar rune on for some extra damage plus a modifier or spite which is fairly playable on menders scourge.

@RedAvenged.5217 said:

@"Dantheman.3589" said:not too mention focus damage is overtuned on top so I’ve seen that hit for 8k as menders.This is not possible in pvp without massive team buffs - not even on zerk amulet. 8k is achieveable in wvw for a necro running at least ascended marauder with a ton of damage multipliers.

There are no team buffs scourge self stacks 25 might on its own removing 3 boons with 25 might on an opponent with possibly a few vuln can very ezily hit for 6k + I’d say 8k is just a big outlier, who knows they may have had scholar rune on for some extra damage plus a modifier or spite which is fairly playable on menders scourge.

830 pvp focus weapon strength 2000 mender amulet power 2.625 focus multiplier / 1888 pvp light armor

= 2.308 damage (* 1.5 = 3.462 critical damage), if you remove 3 boons and the target has no damage reduction gear, trait or protection.

E.g. 25 might and scholar rune: 3.375 damage (* 1.65 = 5.569 critical damage) ... absolute best case and still not even close to 8.000.

Now show me how the build would have too look like to deal 8.000 damage or "ezily 6k+"? That's a glass canon then which is even more of a trash build than the bunker version (mender scourge).

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Dantheman.3589" said:not too mention focus damage is overtuned on top so I’ve seen that hit for 8k as menders.This is not possible in pvp without massive team buffs - not even on zerk amulet. 8k is achieveable in wvw for a necro running at least ascended marauder with a ton of damage multipliers.

830 pvp focus weapon strength
2000 mender amulet power
2.625 focus multiplier / 1888 pvp light armor

= 2.308 damage (* 1.5 = 3.462 critical damage), if you remove 3 boons and the target has no damage reduction gear, trait or protection.

E.g. 25 might and scholar rune: 3.375 damage (* 1.65 = 5.569 critical damage) ... absolute best case and still not even close to 8.000.

Now show me how the build would have too look like to deal 8.000 damage or "ezily 6k+"? That's a glass canon then which is even more of a trash build than the bunker version (mender scourge).

1.) bad English 2.) I’m assuming what u came of with for 25 might was 5.5k... in 2v2s 25 might uptime is like all the time and u left out more stuff, which I already mentioned that would ezily push that into 6k... 3.) you also left out other stuff I mentioned which could push that up more 4.) scourge is strong asf rn there’s a reason why top teams in mAts generally player reaper or scourge(they didn’t really even play core just swapping between reaper and scourge during mat)Congrats on calculating a few numbers though it’s semi impressive but I played pmuch all 2v2 seasons around legend(solo or duo with a low rated rated player every now and then) and/or against legend rated duos and I was on scourge and against scourge duos 90% of the time so I’ve seen all the numbers already

Hey, guys, i've found condi Reaper much better in my hands. I play full condi with Carrion amulet, because Rabid amulet sucks. Toughness is by far the most useless stat in PvP (no matter if i have 900 additional toughness, i would still die within 3 seconds burst window). I have no idea why i don't see more condi Reapers in PvP. You can do all the dmg from distance with Scepter and Staff is a great utility weapon + Reaper's Shroud condi dmg is not bad at all with #1 burning and #3 and #4 poison and bleeding. I need some more days testing this build, maybe i've just got some luck with it so far.I've also tried core condi Necro, but Death Shroud is so boring compared to Reaper's Shroud ...

@"Sifu.9745" said:Hey, guys, i've found condi Reaper much better in my hands. I play full condi with Carrion amulet, because Rabid amulet sucks. Toughness is by far the most useless stat in PvP (no matter if i have 900 additional toughness, i would still die within 3 seconds burst window). I have no idea why i don't see more condi Reapers in PvP. You can do all the dmg from distance with Scepter and Staff is a great utility weapon + Reaper's Shroud condi dmg is not bad at all with #1 burning and #3 and #4 poison and bleeding. I need some more days testing this build, maybe i've just got some luck with it so far.I've also tried core condi Necro, but Death Shroud is so boring compared to Reaper's Shroud ...

Sounds like you like hybrids.

Highly suggest you try this. Don't change any of these selections:

Wizard/Undead RuneAxe/Warhorn - Energy/RevocationStaff - Energy/Escape "You want escape so that when you swap to staff it removes movement condis so Staff 4 returns damaging condis"

Death - 3 2 2Blood - 1 3 3Soul - 2 3 3

6 - Consume7 - Plague Sig "This is your situational swap. Pretty much use any skill here if needed."8 - Spectral Armor9 - Spectral Walk0 - Lich

This should link the build in-game -> [&DQgCKxM9MjqiAKIA9QAAAPoAAAC9AQAAegEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

Not entirely sure if it works while copy/paste from forum though.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Sifu.9745" said:Hey, guys, i've found condi Reaper much better in my hands. I play full condi with Carrion amulet, because Rabid amulet sucks. Toughness is by far the most useless stat in PvP (no matter if i have 900 additional toughness, i would still die within 3 seconds burst window). I have no idea why i don't see more condi Reapers in PvP. You can do all the dmg from distance with Scepter and Staff is a great utility weapon + Reaper's Shroud condi dmg is not bad at all with #1 burning and #3 and #4 poison and bleeding. I need some more days testing this build, maybe i've just got some luck with it so far.I've also tried core condi Necro, but Death Shroud is so boring compared to Reaper's Shroud ...

Wizard/Undead RuneAxe/Warhorn - Energy/RevocationStaff - Energy/Escape "You want escape so that when you swap to staff it removes movement condis so Staff 4 returns damaging condis"

6 - Consume7 - Plague Sig "This is your situational swap. Pretty much use any skill here if needed."8 - Spectral Armor9 - Spectral Walk0 - Lich

This should link the build in-game -> [&DQgCKxM9MjqiAKIA9QAAAPoAAAC9AQAAegEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

Thx for sharing this build. I will give it a try. But i am not sure, why do you think core Hybrid is better then Reaper condi? And why Axe over Scepter?

@Sifu.9745 said:

@Sifu.9745 said:Hey, guys, i've found condi Reaper much better in my hands. I play full condi with Carrion amulet, because Rabid amulet sucks. Toughness is by far the most useless stat in PvP (no matter if i have 900 additional toughness, i would still die within 3 seconds burst window). I have no idea why i don't see more condi Reapers in PvP. You can do all the dmg from distance with Scepter and Staff is a great utility weapon + Reaper's Shroud condi dmg is not bad at all with #1 burning and #3 and #4 poison and bleeding. I need some more days testing this build, maybe i've just got some luck with it so far.I've also tried core condi Necro, but Death Shroud is so boring compared to Reaper's Shroud ...

Thx for sharing this build. I will give it a try. But i am not sure, why do you think core Hybrid is better then Reaper condi? And why Axe over Scepter?

Reaper Condi is terrible, no offense. Core Necro & Scourge are designed for condi.

You want the Axe over scepter in this situation for a few reasons:

1. The auto 1 spam applies multiple vulns on each strike, which keeps fueling your carapace stacks, which ups your damage due to undead rune, which obviously also ups your damage due to vulnerability.
  2. The Axe #2 follows stealthed targets like Rapid Fire once the animation begins. This effect is incredibly important for Necro vs. Thief because Thief naturally hard counters Necro specs.
  3. Your Axe is where most of your hybrid damage is coming from. Without going into long winded explanation, I can say that the Axe will pump out more damage over time than if you used this same build and put a Scepter on, as well as grant you just plainly more utility. Also hybrid damage having both power & condi is very difficult for opponents to deal with.

You can do all the dmg from distanceIf you want to do this then repaer should indeed be your last pick as its specific mechanic is melee. Half of the survivability of Trevor's build is the fact that you can stay at range at some spot nobody can teleport to or next to a corner behind that a ranged class can't snipe you.

@"KrHome.1920" said:

You can do all the dmg from distanceIf you want to do this then repaer should indeed be your last pick as its specific mechanic is melee. Half of the survivability of Trevor's build is the fact that you can stay at range at some spot nobody can teleport to or next to a corner behind that a ranged class can't snipe you.

Well, i don't mind "charging" into melee range when in Reaper's Shroud. Actually i kinda like it way more then boring Death Shroud from core necro. I like to stay in melee, but i just can't do it with GS equipped: the weapon is too slow, while Reaper's Shroud is fast, range is wider, from 170 up to 600 range and most attacks hit foes around you not just in front of you + you can do high condi dmg in Reaper's Shroud with the right build + dmg immunity. What else do i need?If Scourge can be played as a pure Power, Hybrid, Support or condi, i don't see a reason why Reaper should only be limited to Power builds?Just asking ...It's hard to get back to core necro once you've experienced Reaper's Shroud :)