I'm stuck

Asturias.1064

Race doesn't make any difference to the game mechanics, all characters of the same profession play the same regardless of their race. But I think the lore and culture of the norn is more suited to a ranger than the charr. A charr ranger could work too of course, but they would be a bit more of an anomaly.

Ultimately though I think it should come down to which you prefer. Which do you think looks or moves the best? Which race can you use to make a really cool or interesting character you're excited to play?

Neither. Human female is meta for everything.

[edit] I will add that you should try out a human or sylvari to see how they move, since they are the norm. Then try both charr and norn for comparison. I personally can't play charr as their all-fours running triggers my motion sickness. Then there is the large character model size, which comes in to play in tight quarters, jumping puzzles, etc.

I went with Norn, but mostly because I've got a representative for the other possible race/sex combos where it matters (don't need one of each for Asura or Charr.) Norn have some sexy medium racial armors though, so I'm cool with it.

Also, if you roll Norn, go big or go home back to Divinty's Reach. Too many shorty norn that don't realize how awe inspiring a full sized Norn is from the other races perspectives.

There is no best race from a mechanica standpoint. The only real difference between races is some base racial special abilities, all of which are pretty weak and should be replaced by class-specific abilities as soon as possible.

That said, I went with Norn because I have a thing for giant women and rangers fit well with their lore.

@Danikat.8537 said:Race doesn't make any difference to the game mechanics, all characters of the same profession play the same regardless of their race. But I think the lore and culture of the norn is more suited to a ranger than the charr. A charr ranger could work too of course, but they would be a bit more of an anomaly.

Ultimately though I think it should come down to which you prefer. Which do you think looks or moves the best? Which race can you use to make a really cool or interesting character you're excited to play?

Well I figured a Ash Legion Charr would be a good theme for a Charr Ranger but I see your point.

I'd say Female Norn. Eir comes to mind. Most prominent ranger out there.I have to politely disagree on maxing Norn out though. I had my female Norn at max when I started her, but every time she started running, that freakin' baywatch themesong crawled into my mind.

Toned her height down and running animation looks more natural now.

@Fueki.4753 said:Neither one of those two choices.In my opinion, humans (due to their worship of Melandru) and Sylvari (for the nature magic aspect) are best for rangers.

What about the Norns connection to the Spirits of the Wild? Norns can also literally shapeshift into animals; you can have a snow leopard pet while being shapeshifted into one. You can also twin with Eir and Garm for great story integration. And in the personal story, Norns can choose to research the Ogres, who also tame pets.

Norns, EZ.

@Hollow.5382 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:Neither one of those two choices.In my opinion, humans (due to their worship of Melandru) and Sylvari (for the nature magic aspect) are best for rangers.

What about the Norns connection to the Spirits of the Wild? Norns can also literally shapeshift into animals; you can have a snow leopard pet while being shapeshifted into one. You can also twin with Eir and Garm for great story integration. And in the personal story, Norns can choose to research the Ogres, who also tame pets.

Norns, EZ.

While Norn have those connections to spirits, the spirits aren't tied to Rangers.Raven, for example, is closer to Mesmers than anything else.Snow Leopard is more connected to sneaking around, which would be closer to Thieves than Rangers.

@Fueki.4753 said:

Norns, EZ.

While Norn have those connections to spirits, the spirits aren't tied to Rangers.Raven, for example, is closer to Mesmers than anything else.Snow Leopard is more connected to sneaking around, which would be closer to Thieves than Rangers.

I'm sorry, I don't really follow what you are getting at?

While the nature magic aspect of Rangers is important, I believe the animal companion aspect is what distinguishes Rangers the most.

The Spirits are tied to all animals.; there is a Spirit for each one, and the Norn revere them all. The Norns' connection with the Spirits/animals is so great that they can literally transform into them. What is more Ranger-ly than that?