Made a site for bringing new and returning players up to speed

Morvran.8265

This is something I've been working on and polishing a lot in recent weeks, I think it belongs here.

Link: https://catchupguides.com/

The site has 2 main sections: returning player recaps and general guides.

Recaps

Do you know that feeling of returning after a long break, not knowing where to start and what's changed? Most of us have probably been there before. My main goal is to provide a starting point for people like that and I have created a series of recaps for them:

Each recap is a bit different and leads up to present day GW2. For example the Heart of Thorns recap is for players who are familiar with GW2 up to HoT and quit sometime before PoF. The other recaps serve the same purpose but are tailored to people who quit at different points in time.

The recaps are broken into categories like PvE, PvP, features and so on. I tried to keep them brief and list only major things because I don't want to overwhelm people with new info, but there are plenty of links in recaps that could take you to pages where the things I mention are more fleshed out.

Guides

These should be useful to everyone including new and current players. Here I aim to cover a broad range of subjects from leveling tips to where to park your alts. I believe it already has enough content to be useful, but there is definitely more planned so stay tuned!

Couple of highlights:

• Leveling and general new player tips - broad range of basic tips from xp boosters to important service hubs
  • Recommended gem store purchases - these are the most important store items in terms of convenience based on my research and personal experiences
  • GW2 explained to WoW players - I think it's safe to say that a lot of potential GW2 players are either disillusioned WoW veterans or at least know something about that game, so it's easier to take their current knowledge of an MMO and highlight both the similarities and the differences when teaching them the basics of GW2
  • Endgame explained - GW2 isn't a conventional MMO when it comes to endgame and a lot of people struggle to find a purpose, so I've gathered a bunch of suggestions and different approaches that could help people figure out what to do once they ding 80

I hope you guys find them useful :p

And if you have any questions or suggestions, leave a comment below, I'm always open to feedback!

@"Morvran.8265" said:This is something I've been working on and polishing a lot in recent weeks, I think it belongs here.

Link: https://catchupguides.com/

The site has 2 main sections: returning player recaps and general guides.

Recaps

Do you know that feeling of returning after a long break, not knowing where to start and what's changed? Most of us have probably been there before. My main goal is to provide a starting point for people like that and I have created a series of recaps for them:

Each recap is a bit different and leads up to present day GW2. For example the Heart of Thorns recap is for players who are familiar with GW2 up to HoT and quit sometime before PoF. The other recaps serve the same purpose but are tailored to people who quit at different points in time.

The recaps are broken into categories like PvE, PvP, features and so on. I tried to keep them brief and list only major things because I don't want to overwhelm people with new info, but there are plenty of links in recaps that could take you to pages where the things I mention are more fleshed out.

Guides

These should be useful to everyone including new and current players. Here I aim to cover a broad range of subjects from leveling tips to where to park your alts. I believe it already has enough content to be useful, but there is definitely more planned so stay tuned!

Couple of highlights:

• Leveling and general new player tips - broad range of basic tips from xp boosters to important service hubs
  • Recommended gem store purchases - these are the most important store items in terms of convenience based on my research and personal experiences
  • GW2 explained to WoW players - I think it's safe to say that a lot of potential GW2 players are either disillusioned WoW veterans or at least know something about that game, so it's easier to take their current knowledge of an MMO and highlight both the similarities and the differences when teaching them the basics of GW2
  • Endgame explained - GW2 isn't a conventional MMO when it comes to endgame and a lot of people struggle to find a purpose, so I've gathered a bunch of suggestions and different approaches that could help people figure out what to do once they ding 80

I hope you guys find them useful :p

And if you have any questions or suggestions, leave a comment below, I'm always open to feedback!

Just a suggestion here, I haven't seen the site but incase you don't already have it - adding starter gear sets/build recommendations for each class. An explanation of stats and stat distribution, what classes can fill what roles in end game meta compositions. These are the most frequent questions I get from new and returning players.

@"TheAgedGnome.7520" said:You put in a lot of work - nice job! A few thoughts:

• Home Instance - I didn't see that mentioned (for example, under "Harvest Everything")
  • A search feature would be useful

Thanks! Good point, added a search feature. Will continue to tune it a bit later today (mess around with filters and layout) but it's functional.

Hmm not sure about the home instance. It probably deserves some kind of a mention there but wouldn't harvesting require some investments/a tour in someone else's home? That's not necessarily something new players need to know right off the bat imo. I have a daily/weekly routine guide planned though, I'll definitely bring it up there.

@Strider.7849 said:Just a suggestion here, I haven't seen the site but incase you don't already have it - adding starter gear sets/build recommendations for each class. An explanation of stats and stat distribution, what classes can fill what roles in end game meta compositions. These are the most frequent questions I get from new and returning players.

I'll probably leave full build guides to other sites, but a general overview of gear/endgame comps plus some suggestions for what weapons/stats/etc. to aim for while level could work. Ty for the insight, added to the table™!