Which Race would you like to see in Next Xpac

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Voted Dwarves myself as its always been a dream to play them since GW1.. I can't believe there was no Skritt option.

@"Zaltys.7649" said:Dwarves are culturally too similar to Norn, and Largos are just underwater dark elves who prefer to work alone. I don't see how the latter could work for story missions.

I'd prefer tengu; how many other MMORPGs have playable birds (actual birds, not 'angels' or other winged humans)? It''d certainly make the franchise more unique.

Dwarves are nothing like Norn? Dwarves mined underground.. Norn are like Vikings.

Tengu or Kodan.Dwarves are no possible unless they retcon Eye of the North out of GW1.Largos are not possible due to butterfly like wings.Jotun perhaps, but they're not as sophisticated as the other races, so it'll be hard to have them leading destiny's edge

Thats not 100% true a dwarf community could be still around..https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/DwarfMany years ago, far to the south, in Cantha, relics of a mysterious race, possibly an offshoot of the Deldrimor dwarves, were uncovered in the Aurios Mines of the Jade Sea. This is the only indication of any dwarven presence on the southern continent, and remains unexplained to this day.

According to Magister Sieran, the dwarven civilization lasted more than two thousand years, which would put the founding of Deldrimor and the building of structures like the Windy Cave at 675 BE at the latest.

Seems to be a lot of birb boii's in this vote. Still though.. that is a lot of armour they are going to be remaking D =

Knowing this, I have a feeling people will be dissa-pointed to find out its Largos just because porting armour to them was easier.

(Also anet, please let me disable emoji's in text...)

I feel the dwarves reminds a lot of asuran, the kodan reminds of charr and jotun reminds a little of norn.Only I could think of is tengu and largos, still I think the largos would be most interesting. Not much lore has been discovered 'cause they've lived hidden and don't like to get involved. Also, it's not impossible to just start adding lots of lore. They helped out with Zhaitan, now they need our help with saving their civilization under sea and underwater caves. Each chapter could tell us a lot.

About the dwarves, I don't see it would be impossible to wake them up. They are not many left, they have been lost and trying to rebuild. There is a quest in the shadows, finding each other in a hostile world where they don't know who to trust... or something. There's always a story.But I still belive they would be a lot like the asuran.

I think the largos would be nice. But then again.. I think this is good as it is.

@Dante.1508 said:I Voted Dwarves myself as its always been a dream to play them since GW1.. I can't believe there was no Skritt option.

@"Zaltys.7649" said:Dwarves are culturally too similar to Norn, and Largos are just underwater dark elves who prefer to work alone. I don't see how the latter could work for story missions.

I'd prefer tengu; how many other MMORPGs have playable birds (actual birds, not 'angels' or other winged humans)? It''d certainly make the franchise more unique.

Dwarves are nothing like Norn? Dwarves mined underground.. Norn are like Vikings.

Tengu or Kodan.Dwarves are no possible unless they retcon Eye of the North out of GW1.Largos are not possible due to butterfly like wings.Jotun perhaps, but they're not as sophisticated as the other races, so it'll be hard to have them leading destiny's edge

Thats not 100% true a dwarf community could be still around..
Many years ago, far to the south, in Cantha, relics of a mysterious race, possibly an offshoot of the Deldrimor dwarves, were uncovered in the Aurios Mines of the Jade Sea. This is the only indication of any dwarven presence on the southern continent, and remains unexplained to this day.Yes, theoretically there might have been some Dwarven presence in other places. This changes nothing however - the Rite of the Great Dwarf (due to the very nature of Great Dwarf) affected all of the dwarvenkind, no matter where they were at the moment or their political affiliations (if there were any Stone Summit remaining, they were eventually transformed as well). Some dwarves might have managed to delay the pull of the Rite for longer than others, but ultimately all were converted. That is actually canon, btw.

Agreed with Skritt. Some of my favorite writing in the game has been Skritt dialogue. I'd love to see the team that animated the Asura characters animate three or four Skritt running around together, tumbling over each other and working together to perform skills. An old F2P game, Allods Online, had a playable race of three rodent like creatures that worked in tandem, and it was one of the best things about that game.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Dante.1508 said:I Voted Dwarves myself as its always been a dream to play them since GW1.. I can't believe there was no Skritt option.

Thats not 100% true a dwarf community could be still around..
Many years ago, far to the south, in Cantha, relics of a mysterious race, possibly an offshoot of the Deldrimor dwarves, were uncovered in the Aurios Mines of the Jade Sea. This is the only indication of any dwarven presence on the southern continent, and remains unexplained to this day.Yes, theoretically there might have been some Dwarven presence in other places. This changes nothing however - the Rite of the Great Dwarf (due to the very nature of Great Dwarf) affected all of the dwarvenkind, no matter where they were at the moment or their political affiliations (if there were any Stone Summit remaining, they were eventually transformed as well). Some dwarves might have managed to delay the pull of the Rite for longer than others, but ultimately all were converted. That is actually canon, btw.

Just because they were stone didn't mean they no longer exist..

I can not see Jotun being a playable race,, dwarves are supposed to be in a way extinct, largos won't be possible since they have a pair of wing like fins on their backs which would clip horribly with backpacks and there are also already largos fins backpack, Kodan also will most likely not be playable because there is a combat tonic.

The race that would be most likely would be Tengu, since the have a capital city, they were originally planned for core's release but were scrapped, they have a really nice updated model from Heart of Thorns release, there is incentive for Tengu to join the fight against the Elder Dragons if Primordus's threat is dealt with during Icebrood Saga or End of Dragons or if we can defeat enough Elder Dragons for them to be confident in fighting. Perhaps who ever is in charge of Cantha currently are bad people and we usurp them, which could make the Tengu clans from Cantha to want to return.I also like Tengu, they are bird humanoids with elven-type ears, quite unique.

I've thought about this for a while because I hear it discussed a lot in the community. I even brought it up a few months ago in my own thread. In that thread someone mentioned combat tonics, and honestly I think that is the best choice for a new "playable" race. I also think it is a lot of hard and time consuming work (dialog, starter areas, animations, armor, etc.) that will be blown through really quickly by the community with little repeatability. I am definitely not against a new race and a Cantha starter area, but I am not too sure it will add much value beyond some novelty for long term players.

I definitely want to see more interesting races and lore introduced in the new xpac. I would like to see some Tengu-centered story missions, etc. I like how Arena Net also makes player race specific dialog like they did with Sylvari in HoT or even just simple stuff like NPCs (Olmakhan Charr, etc.) mentioning how big a character is when the player character is Norn, etc., so having Tengu interact with characters differently based on their race would be interesting and offer more replayablity while also providing an interesting race/culture-based story.

Personally I think a Tengu combat tonic that is offered by completing a Tengu-centered meta-event and/or collection would be a more seamless implementation of a new "playable" race.

Side note, I hope there are some Skritt in Cantha searching for shinies, because I love their goofy dialog lines.

Tengu? Why is this pick so popular. Who the hell wants to roleplay a chicken?

"Many years ago, far to the south, in Cantha, relics of a mysterious race, possibly an offshoot of the Deldrimor dwarves, were uncovered in the Aurios Mines of the Jade Sea. This is the only indication of any dwarven presence on the southern continent, and remains unexplained to this day." I say we re-discover these Dwarves, solve the mystery, and have a new race to play.

I'd be equally on board with tengu, largos, and kodan, although kodan seem decidedly unlikely for a Cantha expansion. Tengu have narrative ties to Cantha, which makes them seem the most likely if we were to get a new race, but we will likely be passing through (or more likely, sailing over) largos territory on the way to Cantha, so they'd also make decent sense.