Best LW episodes to get if short on gold/gems

Xoasim.6401

I have been playing for a few months now, and have both the expansions (got them on the bundle sale). I have really enjoyed the game and want to get more out of it, which episodes would you recommend as the best to get first? I think I plan on getting most if not all eventually, but I'm short on money right now and was thinking of maybe getting a couple to start. (I am coming up on 5000 achievement points, figured I'd use them on new content) So anyways, just wondering what people think are the essential, or just best episodes content wise.

I would say get all of the season 4 ones first. It added 2 new mounts (roller beetle and skyscale), the PoF mastery points are very useful, the story interested me more than the others, and the maps have a wide variety in landscapes and good rewards. If you can only get a few of the season 4 episodes, get episode 3 which will allow you to unlock the roller beetle, and episode 6 which has an active map and great rewards. Unlocking the skyscale will require you to have all episodes of living world season 4 unlocked though.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Episode 3 of LS3 is great for ascended trinket farming

Episode 1 is better as the trinkets that are available there can be stat-swapped.

Episode 3 has rings. backpacks, and accessories. This episode provides items for more slots than episode 1 and you acquire them at a much quicker rate. Unless you're someone that changes builds often, the stat swapping may be of little use.

S3 Ep 3 is very good. It's a nice farm for obtaining Ascended accessories (Including Rebreathers!). It's also quite a lucrative and popular map overall, with the Frostbound Chests and the boss-rush meta.

S4 Ep 3 is good purely because it provides the Roller Beetle mount. Outside of that, it's pretty trash... But the mount is good.

S4 Ep 6 is good because the meta is quite lucrative. You'll also be able to make a start on the Skyscale collection while you're there (You won't be able to finish it as it requires all 6 episodes of S4, but you can do a large chunk of it)

S4 Ep 1 is also somewhat decent, as it has a good couple of metas. Though it's less popular than Ep 6.

S4 Ep 2 is kind of meh... But you can work on a set of collections that end up giving you a 32 slot bag.

That's all that's notable really.

Oh, I'd definitely recommend getting S4 Ep 5 last out of the S4 episodes, since it's awful. It's currently a lagfest that makes it really no fun at all. Just get it when you need to get the 250 map currency for the Skyscale...

@Taril.8619 said:S3 Ep 3 is very good. It's a nice farm for obtaining Ascended accessories (Including Rebreathers!). It's also quite a lucrative and popular map overall, with the Frostbound Chests and the boss-rush meta.

S4 Ep 3 is good purely because it provides the Roller Beetle mount. Outside of that, it's pretty trash... But the mount is good.

S4 Ep 6 is good because the meta is quite lucrative. You'll also be able to make a start on the Skyscale collection while you're there (You won't be able to finish it as it requires all 6 episodes of S4, but you can do a large chunk of it)

S4 Ep 1 is also somewhat decent, as it has a good couple of metas. Though it's less popular than Ep 6.

S4 Ep 2 is kind of meh... But you can work on a set of collections that end up giving you a 32 slot bag.

That's all that's notable really.

Oh, I'd definitely recommend getting S4 Ep 5 last out of the S4 episodes, since it's awful. It's currently a lagfest that makes it really no fun at all. Just get it when you need to get the 250 map currency for the Skyscale...

this is a pretty good list :+1:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Episode 1 is better as the trinkets that are available there can be stat-swapped.Episode 3 has rings. backpacks, and accessories. This episode provides items for more slots than episode 1

Episode one offers an amulet instead of an accessory, so they are even. Besides, if you want to make full use of the trinkets, you won't be able to use two of the same kind anyway.

and you acquire them at a much quicker rate.

That is true, but shouldn't be the deciding factor. I find the ability to stat-swap invaluable.

Unless you're someone that changes builds often, the stat swapping may be of little use.

I have 12 active characters at the moment and had to swap stats a lot over the years (hint: balance patches). Whether it's often or not, I rather have an item that comes with the feature than one that does not (especially for people who are newer to the game and don't have the currency to immediately get a new set when needed).

Well I'm going to throw in two curve balls

S3 E5 because the map (Draconis Mons) is fantastic. One of the most unique in the gameS4 E2 because it is another great map (Sandswept) and a pretty solid episode all round

The problem I find with getting S4E3 and S3E3 is both episodes and both maps imo are some of the worst in the game. The only benefit is the roller beetle (which is a big one, but you suffer with the rest of it). The ascended in Bitterfrost doesn't feel worth it for me considering there are better maps and epsiodes

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Episode 1 is better as the trinkets that are available there can be stat-swapped.Episode 3 has rings. backpacks, and accessories. This episode provides items for more slots than episode 1

Episode one offers an amulet instead of an accessory, so they are even. Besides, if you want to make full use of the trinkets, you won't be able to use two of the same kind anyway.

and you acquire them at a much quicker rate.

That
is true, but shouldn't be the deciding factor. I find the ability to stat-swap invaluable.

Unless you're someone that changes builds often, the stat swapping may be of little use.

I have 12 active characters at the moment and had to swap stats a lot over the years (hint: balance patches). Whether it's often or not, I rather have an item that comes with the feature than one that does not (especially for people who are newer to the game and don't have the currency to immediately get a new set when needed).

Personally, the ease of which it is possible to attain accessories from S3 Ep3 and S3 Ep5 has made it so I literally have all 10 of my characters with multiple versions of the accessories there with different stats. Meaning, I don't need to worry about the stat swapping from S3 Ep1 items (Or how annoying actually obtaining the currency is to buy them in the first place)

@"Randulf.7614" said:Well I'm going to throw in two curve balls

S3 E5 because the map (Draconis Mons) is fantastic. One of the most unique in the gameS4 E2 because it is another great map (Sandswept) and a pretty solid episode all round

S3 Ep5 is a very unique map. Though, it can also be very annoying. What with Pocket Raptors and Smokescales destroying your face and the multi-leveled nature of the map that makes it unique. Also, the Inquest Base is very annoying to traverse without a Skyscale.

It's definitely unique though and quite pretty to look at.

S4 Ep2 I'm hesitant to recommend because it has some lag issues. Which makes it not always populated enough to do metas and bounties as well as being just unfun to be in at times when the lag gets really bad.

It can be pretty solid when it works though. A nice map, constant metas, "Free" 32 slot bag, the best item in the game for doing jumping puzzles... It's just a shame that ANet's LW4 servers are potato...

@"Taril.8619" said:[lots of snipping]S4 Ep2 I'm hesitant to recommend because it has some lag issues. Which makes it not always populated enough to do metas and bounties as well as being just unfun to be in at times when the lag gets really bad.

It can be pretty solid when it works though. A nice map, constant metas, "Free" 32 slot bag, the best item in the game for doing jumping puzzles... It's just a shame that ANet's LW4 servers are potato...

The one problem that can be encountered in the process of getting that free bag is the need to do a successful Serpent's Ire meta in Vabbi. People have also reported problems with the caravan event in Istan (I think about it spawning), although there seem to be fewer posts about problems completing the caravan.

@Randulf.7614 said:S3 E5 because the map (Draconis Mons) is fantastic. One of the most unique in the game

I thought this too. I was disappointed to see that it's practically a dead map a lot of the time now. Unlocking all of the waypoints and HoT navigation masteries probably makes it a lot easier to get around though. Admittedly the skyscale also likely makes the navigation in it much better too.

@Taril.8619 said:Personally, the ease of which it is possible to attain accessories from S3 Ep3 and S3 Ep5 has made it so I literally have all 10 of my characters with multiple versions of the accessories there with different stats.

You misunderstand: I am not talking about stat swapping for each build you currently use but about future changes you might need to make.