backstab is trash, buff it

lightstalker.1498

@Bazsi.2734 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Another fix would be make invisibility like it is but becomes like a cloak if in front of a enemie like say a range of 75, like a predictors cloak. Reveal on skill use and cap duration at 6 secs that's un stackable but reapliable.

being revealed when withing 75 would be legit useless as backstab has more range then 75, in NVO there was such a thing where you could see stealthed target when close to them, whatever the distance was set it was either useless as you couldnt see enemy as he was going to hit you, or OP as you could see enemy before he could hit you.

I'm usually behind a enemy when back stabbing, being somewhat revealed (cloak like) when I frontal view at a close range was just a thought on how to punish bad placement of the thief. If range on the reveal is to long then stealth becomes useless and if reveal didnt end and stealth resume when out of the in range frontal view it would again be useless.I say just cap it at 6 secs non stackable but reapliable and call it a day, less complicated and less work(anet love that) and is a nerf leaving stealth still useful.

Being visible in stealth would defeat its purpose. Why did I waste resources for that few second of invisibility if I'm being seen through a passive mechanic? As Leonidrex pointed out, this effect would be either useless or OP depending on the range. No middleground here. You either avoid getting backstabbed or you don't.

Capping stealth on 6 seconds would ruin skills that apply more than 6 by default(PU mesmers would be sad), or rely on stacking its effect like Shadow Refuge. It's actually not "less work", you'd still have to rebalance a lot of stealth related skills. But lets say we've done the work, those skills have lower cooldowns with lower durations now... What exactly changed? Fights would still be exactly the same. 6 seconds is long enough for a stealth engage or disengage so... why did we do all this redesign and rebalancing work?

Stop trying to change how stealth works. It's the same since release for a reason.

Umm I think u miss understand what I mean. Ud still be fully invisible as u are now but only visible if ur directly in front of a enemy in say 75 range or less and when visible it would be in form of a tell like the predators cloak and would revert back to full invisibility when out of that range or not directly in front of a enemy. Stealth would be useless at that point? Either way be to complicated for anet as I said so idea being good or bad doesn't matter lol. Trust me I'm not trying to change how stealth works as I've stated in other threads that stealth had work the same since the beginning and no real reworks are probable this late in the game. I'm personally fine with it as is.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Another fix would be make invisibility like it is but becomes like a cloak if in front of a enemie like say a range of 75, like a predictors cloak. Reveal on skill use and cap duration at 6 secs that's un stackable but reapliable.

being revealed when withing 75 would be legit useless as backstab has more range then 75, in NVO there was such a thing where you could see stealthed target when close to them, whatever the distance was set it was either useless as you couldnt see enemy as he was going to hit you, or OP as you could see enemy before he could hit you.

I'm usually behind a enemy when back stabbing, being somewhat revealed (cloak like) when I frontal view at a close range was just a thought on how to punish bad placement of the thief. If range on the reveal is to long then stealth becomes useless and if reveal didnt end and stealth resume when out of the in range frontal view it would again be useless.I say just cap it at 6 secs non stackable but reapliable and call it a day, less complicated and less work(anet love that) and is a nerf leaving stealth still useful.

Being visible in stealth would defeat its purpose. Why did I waste resources for that few second of invisibility if I'm being seen through a passive mechanic? As Leonidrex pointed out, this effect would be either useless or OP depending on the range. No middleground here. You either avoid getting backstabbed or you don't.

Capping stealth on 6 seconds would ruin skills that apply more than 6 by default(PU mesmers would be sad), or rely on stacking its effect like Shadow Refuge. It's actually not "less work", you'd still have to rebalance a lot of stealth related skills. But lets say we've done the work, those skills have lower cooldowns with lower durations now... What exactly changed? Fights would still be exactly the same. 6 seconds is long enough for a stealth engage or disengage so... why did we do all this redesign and rebalancing work?

Stop trying to change how stealth works. It's the same since release for a reason.

Umm I think u miss understand what I mean. Ud still be fully invisible as u are now but only visible if ur directly in front of a enemy in say 75 range or less and when visible it would be in form of a tell like the predators cloak and would revert back to full invisibility when out of that range or not directly in front of a enemy. Stealth would be useless at that point? Either way be to complicated for anet as I said so idea being good or bad doesn't matter lol. Trust me I'm not trying to change how stealth works as I've stated in other threads that stealth had work the same since the beginning and no real reworks are probable this late in the game. I'm personally fine with it as is.Would be better if some of the Reveal skills had good second mechanic that is useful outside reveal and gave something like the Maguma mastery that lets you see invisible NPC , you press the button for the next few seconds YOU(very important) get The Predator sight. Also there aren't many anti stealth skill in the game and most of them are quite crappy to boot

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2020 at 8:24 AM, Broady.2358 said:

As a Thief main, Backstab is perfectly fine and currently very powerful! It is an attack which is hard to counter as it is delivered from Stealth. On average it will hit for 3-4k (sometimes more) unless going up against something with high toughness.

The key is to remember the role of Thief. It is a roamer and +1, not a duellist. Dropping 4k from Stealth in combination with a team mate's burst along with CC from Basilisk Venom will bring them down to below 50% health usually allowing for you to get the most out of Heartseeker spam which is usually around 5-6k per Heartseeker.

If you think Thief's damage is low, you're playing it wrong.

lol ur literally saying thief isnt worth kitten to 1v1, even tho in all mmos rogues are kings of 1v1s, 4k LMAO my war hits  8-10k on the gs f1 constantly and I can tank the kitten out of ppl with spellbreaker and a thief can do 4k dmg in thier most dmging skill its a joke, but what can you expect the community made thief a +1 and decap bot thanks god I quit play thief 

• Confused 5

On 9/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, UNOwen.7132 said:

I mean, 3-4k from your hardest hitting skill is very low.

you have 3-5k damage across the board, imagine having only one skill that does any good damage, you will regret what you asked for.

also no way anet will allow an attack from stealth does 5k+ on regular build. you won't enjoy fighting it either

Edited by Lighter.5631

31 minutes ago, kanatakamura.7502 said:

lol ur literally saying thief isnt worth kitten to 1v1, even tho in all mmos rogues are kings of 1v1s, 4k LMAO my war hits  8-10k on the gs f1 constantly and I can tank the kitten out of ppl with spellbreaker and a thief can do 4k dmg in thier most dmging skill its a joke, but what can you expect the community made thief a +1 and decap bot thanks god I quit play thief 

what you mean, spector is very good 1v1, and daredevil/deadeye plagued wvw for 1v1.

and 1v1 barely exist now with the mobility creep, because people choose ganking over 1v1 when given the choice,

it's not thief(daredevil, deadeye) can't 1v1, thief only don't 1v1 because 1v1 last too long and thief can't contest the point which would be fighting on enemy point for too long, that's literally the only reason,

also these classes will never die in 1v1, if they can also beat enemy with relatively ease and fast speed, there would be no balance.

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

also no way anet will allow an attack from stealth does 5k+ on regular build.

No way Anet allows attack from stealth to do 5k+ damage!

Meanwhile: "Soulbeast delivering 50k+Damage out of stealth before even becoming targetable"

Can we stop now? this post is dead and belongs in the tomb.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

No way Anet allows attack from stealth to do 5k+ damage!

Meanwhile: "Soulbeast delivering 50k+Damage out of stealth before even becoming targetable"

Can we stop now? this post is dead and belongs in the tomb.

soulbeasts attacks are no where near a burst from stealth, stealth breaks long before damage start ramping up.

you have plenty of reaction time before the damage even reach 4k.

it's like if you add a hit before backstab for 2 digital damage and only by landing that(which reveals you) you can follow a backstab, then sure, damage buff it, if you would still count that as from stealth, i wouldn't, but i guess you would and would be happy, cuz you think soulbeast attacks are from stealth.

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4