Deleted

Niteraven.1372

I don't know if it's a dire, extreme problem, but I agree that the race adventure itself is set in a terrible area.

All the tight turns and wacky camera shifting renders some of the checkpoints invisible and almost the whole thing is claustrophobic. It doesn't give the liberating feeling an open water course would have offered (maybe out over the area of the Breachmaker where the water is deeper?). I dunno. Just felt clunky and bad. You're frustrated by the end instead of excited, and I wanted to smack Sibaha for her theft and unapologetically smug attitude.

I understand it's a one-time thing and then you have access to the skill in any water, but it definitely could have been mapped out somewhere much better. Also, Sibaha should still have faced justice for what she did - ends don't justify the means and it made the commander complicit.

@Niteraven.1372 said:I understand why people want to race. That's fine by me and I have NO problem with it. What I DO have a problem with is the little "adventure" game you force us to do in order to get the underwater skimmer addition. There are people on this game who CAN NOT do this. They may be elderly. They may be disabled. They may just not see well. When I started this game things were truly optional. Now I'm basically FORCED to do something I just can't do or be punished by not having a skill. So thank you Anet. Thank you from about 20 percent of the community. You just alienated a lot of people. Enjoy.

@Niteraven.1372 said:I'm sure it will be a requirement in the new expansion and it really doesn't matter how long you played. Everyone says they have been playing since beta. Not too impressed. As long as kids will be able to do this its fine then.

Been here since November 2012. I have astigmatism in both eyes, near sighted, issues telling apart shades of green and brown, and I have a large pituitary tumor pressing on my optic nerve. I managed this and even the god awful skyscale grind just fine. I even managed to do it on day 1 when the race was broken and you couldn't even take the skimmer underwater, you basically had to swim for all the underwater sections. Do not get outraged on my behalf, do not use someone like me as a scapegoat because you don't like having to do the relatively simple work for the mastery. You do NOT speak for me.

The skimmer going underwater is not really a necessity. Nothing stops you from going underwater already with your chars with the swim infusions which makes you swim faster then what the skimmer would do. The race is really not that hard for anybody. I did it when the race was bugged without the mount being able to go under & I still was able to complete it (and I have sour vision)

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:You literally have to press space and C a couple times.

This is not the place for you to feign such a ridiculous concern.

I agree that it's pretty trivial for most players to notch silver with a bit of trying, but I don't think OP is feigning concern.

It would be nice if players who genuinely can't do the race could eventually get another path to attaining the mastery. I suspect this will happen if the mastery really does prove to be essential to EoD in some way.

I mean, I don't disagree, but it literally takes 3 button presses and some timing. This isn't even a skill thing, this is a.. capable of thought thing.

(Reposting due to quoted post being removed)

I'm glad you got through the adventure OP ^^Though this thread does seem a bit pointless if you have completed it..I'm afraid there is very little chance that content like this will stop being designed in ways that can be challenging for some people, I can understand your frustration at that but i'm sure there are plenty of people around who are happy to help you if you just ask for help..I see this quite a lot in-game and there's always people willing to help others, it's one of the best things about Gw2.

If other people are having difficulty it would be much better if they speak up about it themselves and explain what they are specifically having trouble with.. at least that way we might be able to offer them advice or even help them in-game if possible.

@Teratus.2859 said:(Reposting due to quoted post being removed)

I'm glad you got through the adventure OP ^^Though this thread does seem a bit pointless if you have completed it..I'm afraid there is very little chance that content like this will stop being designed in ways that can be challenging for some people, I can understand your frustration at that but i'm sure there are plenty of people around who are happy to help you if you just ask for help..I see this quite a lot in-game and there's always people willing to help others, it's one of the best things about Gw2.

If other people are having difficulty it would be much better if they speak up about it themselves and explain what they are specifically having trouble with.. at least that way we might be able to offer them advice or even help them in-game if possible.

You are correct. Thank you for your kind answer. :)

(Reposting due to quoted post being removed)

Just in case that those people you know in need of help are new to this game: tell them to change their key setting and set A/D key to strafe left/right instead of turn left/right by default. It makes the control of movement tremendously easier.

Sometimes it is not really the problem of of the player but the problem of the control setting. I'd suggest people with problem completing any content really should first review their own key-bind layouts and spend some time to find out what works for them. Hope this helps!

For reference this is my own setup:

WSAD: move forward/backward/left/rightSpace: JumpE: Dodge1~5: Weapon SkillsZ/X/C/V/B: Professional MechanicsQ/R/F: Utility slots, left to right.Shift: HealCaps Lock: Elite`/Mouse Button 3: Change weaponCtrl: Draw/put away weaponsAlt: Turn camera (not character) 180F1 ~ F8: MountsShift + F1 ~ F5: Change build setCtrl + F1 ~ F5: Change equipment setAlphebetic keys on the right half of the keyboard: shortcut for different windows/panels, chat and etc.

As a rule of thumb, I'd recommend to:

For movement and combat related controls, assign the functions to keys that you can easily and precisely reach with your left hand. For example, the E, Shift and space key are the three most immediate keys for my left hand when laying my middle finger on W key, so they were assigned life-and-death functions such as Dodge, Heal and Jump (to overcome terrain features in combat). Then I assign the rest according to function priority and key immediacy. Also, single key is usually easier and faster than key combination.

For non-movement/combat related hotkeys, assign those on the peripheral keys instead of the most immediate ones for your left hand, such as F1~F0 and the right side of the keyboard. Use Ctrl/Shift/Alt key combinations if available options are running out.

I understand the OP has now been able to complete the course, but in case anyone else experiences similar problems in future it may be helpful to know that Anet can and have modified content and achievement requirements previously due to accessibility issues. They're generally good about things like making sure audio cues also have a visual counterpart or anything colour coded also uses different symbols so colour blind players can tell them apart, and they changed the timing on the skyscale catch game after someone reported it was impossible for them to complete: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/78566/why-i-will-never-be-able-to-get-a-skyscale/p1

However that needs specific feedback. The OP in that topic was very clear about what the problem was, so it was relatively simple for Anet to fix it. Vague statements that maybe some groups of people might find it impossible leave the developers having to guess at what needs to be changed, which means any changes they do make could be totally useless. Changes to help with accessibility are often very specific and can seem trivial to other people. For example I find certain fonts much easier to read than others, even when they look virtually identical to other people (e.g. I find verdana easier to read than arial). But if I just told Anet some text in the game is unreadable they might look at it and guess it's because it's too small, the colour blends in with the background or something like that and "fix" that while leaving the actual problem in place.

Even if you're angry and frustrated and want to vent if you actually want the problem fixed it's really important to include clear details on why exactly you find it impossible and what Anet could do to make it easier.

@"Niteraven.1372" said:I understand why people want to race. That's fine by me and I have NO problem with it. What I DO have a problem with is the little "adventure" game you force us to do in order to get the underwater skimmer addition. There are people on this game who CAN NOT do this. They may be elderly. They may be disabled. They may just not see well. When I started this game things were truly optional. Now I'm basically FORCED to do something I just can't do or be punished by not having a skill. So thank you Anet. Thank you from about 20 percent of the community. You just alienated a lot of people. Enjoy."We recognize that some players are not able to complete all content." Gaile Gray 01.10.19

@"Niteraven.1372" said:I understand why people want to race. That's fine by me and I have NO problem with it. What I DO have a problem with is the little "adventure" game you force us to do in order to get the underwater skimmer addition. There are people on this game who CAN NOT do this. They may be elderly. They may be disabled. They may just not see well. When I started this game things were truly optional. Now I'm basically FORCED to do something I just can't do or be punished by not having a skill. So thank you Anet. Thank you from about 20 percent of the community. You just alienated a lot of people. Enjoy.

Evidence to support that 20% of gamers are disabled elderly people incapable of completing an incredibly easy race? I'll wait.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@"Niteraven.1372" said:I understand why people want to race. That's fine by me and I have NO problem with it. What I DO have a problem with is the little "adventure" game you force us to do in order to get the underwater skimmer addition. There are people on this game who CAN NOT do this. They may be elderly. They may be disabled. They may just not see well. When I started this game things were truly optional. Now I'm basically FORCED to do something I just can't do or be punished by not having a skill. So thank you Anet. Thank you from about 20 percent of the community. You just alienated a lot of people. Enjoy.

Evidence to support that 20% of gamers are disabled elderly people incapable of completing an incredibly easy race? I'll wait.

By indulging into a figurative number, I believe you completely missed the point, which is that there are indeed disabled and/or elderly people out there having a hard time completing contents that could grant them access to items or abilities that would improve their QoL in game. There is nothing wrong to advocate for them.

This elderly(?) dude was able to do it after a few tries. It mostly involved learning the route - the challenge for this elderly(?) dude being to remember it from before.

I think if my brother tried it today he would not be able to do it. He is new to the game and is still trying to master "jump." I play a mesmer when we're together. :p

That's not to say when he gets his skimmer he'll be unable to, it'll just take time to get used to controlling the skimmer then figuring out the course.