We need a ranked pip revamp

Firebeard.1746

The devs need to change pips to scale off of account rank and whether or not the match was a win or a loss (not season ranking, but your rank #) like WvW, but then when they punish people for botting or manipulation, nuke their rank. And also do a better job of detecting that. Doing this will make smurf accounts worthless (because nowadays you can use your free pips to earn gold from losses and send it to a main account), and also nuke the main accounts' progress/ability to earn legendary rewards and currency. Right now, bad behavior is too incentivized and given Anet is gunshy about permabans, there's really no consequences, so no active discouragement from trying again. That's the issue (I would say in addition to allowing FTP accounts to play ranked, that just makes it too easy to throw bots and smurf accounts into the mix). If your rewards scale off of both your dedication to the game mode and your win rate, I believe that's the best model and if that progress can be reset when cheating occurs, it will actively discourage it.

Though I think the game mode as a whole needs more to it than just conquest if it's going to survive long term after the new influx of players. If anet fails to fix matchmaking and manipulation before this game goes to steam, it's a lost opportunity to save the game mode. I also think they need to introduce a separate queue for complete premades. And maybe kill duo altogether. It's just solo and/or premades against each other (but never mixed. Premades are never matched against solo players).

I've said it before, but I think they should drastically alter the pip tally.

ie.Win: 3 pipsLoss: 1 pipRank tier: +1 pip /rankTop Stat: 2 pip / stat

Add additional stats, like most executes (not assists), decap/capping (not just passive points for fighting on nodes), highest boon distribution, highest power dmg, highest condi dmg.I realize players might be intimidated by this at first (with the idea that it would limit non optimal builds), but that's the difference between ranked and regular games. I think this would also encourage diversity in comps. Players would want to strive to achieve a top stat (so if there was 3 condi's on the team already, they might switch to power..)

I feel you.

I think it should be like...Pips as they are now move to Unranked where the game is meant to be casual and where seeing loads of bots isn't as ugly for PvP's image.

In Ranked:Wins = 2 or 3x the normal amount of pips of Unranked. It depends on whatever makes Ranked less profitable than Unranked for people who do not play to improve, actively throw, and bots.Losses = 0 pips

@Tharan.9085 said:

@chillig Bruda.9541 said:It is kinda unfair, that having a high pvp rank is giving you absolutely zero reward, while it helps you alot in wvw.Just give us at least something for it.

no it isn't

Yes it is, don't you know all good players PvP for the rewards, which they arent getting for like 8 years now? Outrageous if you ask me!

@RedAvenged.5217 said:There is a reward for pips in ranked and that’s faster gold access. Don’t change unranked to punish weaker players from ranking up which effects their achievements and possibility of doing ranked for the extra gold

Please, explain. The only extra pips I've seen are from being a higher seasonal rank. Not your account rank.

@chillig Bruda.9541 said:It is kinda unfair, that having a high pvp rank is giving you absolutely zero reward, while it helps you alot in wvw.Just give us at least something for it.

Wholly agree. Finisher just don't cut it. Especially when some are cash shop items anyway (i.e. doesn't matter if I could use say a permanent mad king one instead).

@jwhite.7012 said:I've said it before, but I think they should drastically alter the pip tally.

Add additional stats, like most executes (not assists), decap/capping (not just passive points for fighting on nodes), highest boon distribution, highest power dmg, highest condi dmg.I realize players might be intimidated by this at first (with the idea that it would limit non optimal builds), but that's the difference between ranked and regular games. I think this would also encourage diversity in comps. Players would want to strive to achieve a top stat (so if there was 3 condi's on the team already, they might switch to power..)

Good way to put the final nail in the coffin.

Nerf pvp rewards and watch this mode become a ghost town worse then what it is currently.

As it stands rewards are the only saving grace conquest has in gw2.

@Azreell.1568 said:

@jwhite.7012 said:I've said it before, but I think they should drastically alter the pip tally.

Nerf pvp rewards and watch this mode become a ghost town worse then what it is currently.

The highest ranks would give you way more pips in this model (because of the massive pip buffs on losses). How is this a nerf?

@Firebeard.1746 said:

The highest ranks would give you way more pips in this model (because of the massive pip buffs on losses). How is this a nerf?

Water will always find the path of least resistance.

Same with any games player base.

You are directly reducing the current reward system especially for new players - and you think that will go over well?

We need to attract new plaer's not scare them away.

@Azreell.1568 said:

You are directly reducing the current reward system especially for new players - and you think that will go over well?

Depends on which way the new players view it: say they're struggling against people who have played this game for 8 years. They'll know their losses will become that much more valuable if they stick with it and play fair.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

Depends on which way the new players view it: say they're struggling against people who have played this game for 8 years. They'll know their losses will become that much more valuable if they stick with it and play fair.

I hate to tell you this friend but your idea will literally drive most new player away.

Gw2 Conquest :

1) Terrible Class Balance2) Broken Match Making system due to low population3) Bots everywhere4) Afk players everywhere5) Huge Buff and Nerf swings6) Most toxic player base in gw27) Mediocre rewards at best

And now you want to reduce the rewards for new players or players in general and somehow think that will help?

Your idea does not benefit the new player base at all - and let's be frank. Unless we find a way to attract new players this game mode is doa.

Unfortunately your idea isn't it.

@Azreell.1568 said:

I hate to tell you this friend but your idea will literally drive most new player away.

Gw2 Conquest :

1) Terrible Class Balance2) Broken Match Making system due to low population3) Bots everywhere4) Afk players everywhere5) Huge Buff and Nerf swings6) Most toxic player base in gw27) Mediocre rewards at best

And now you want to reduce the rewards for new players or players in general and somehow think that will help?

Your idea does not benefit the new player base at all - and let's be frank. Unless we find a way to attract new players this game mode is doa.

Keeping it as-is will drive away anyone with a brain. In fact, the more I look at it, the less sense continuing to play once I earn the neck and ascension makes. WvW is much easier to step into and out of, with less BS. Keep in mind we're talking about an overall buff in rewards here.

EDIT: Also the proposed model with the numbers, isn't mine at all.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

Gw2 Conquest :

Keeping it as-is will drive away anyone with a brain. In fact, the more I look at it, the less sense continuing to play once I earn the neck and ascension makes. WvW is much easier to step into and out of, with less BS. Keep in mind we're talking about an overall buff in rewards here.

I have the exact opposite opinion.

Increase rewards to increase the player base.

Let's be honest conquest hasn't really been all that supported to begin with.

Look at drizzlewood - tons of loot people there non stop.

The same ideology could be applied to conquest.

It would attract tons of new player's many who may stay and thus in the process fix our broken match making system ( because we may finally have enough players again for it to work ).

Reduction in rewards for newer players does not increase the player base it has the opposite effect. Look at any time gw2 reduce rewards for an example.

The change you suggest benefits the older player base far more then the newer one which would not lead to a net gain.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@RedAvenged.5217 said:There is a reward for pips in ranked and that’s faster gold access. Don’t change unranked to punish weaker players from ranking up which effects their achievements and possibility of doing ranked for the extra gold

Please, explain. The only extra pips I've seen are from being a higher seasonal rank. Not your account rank.

I said in ranked. Rank is your pvp level while ranked is a que type- during actual ranked season you get extra pips for being plat or legend toward the ranked pip system which gives more gold. Though you are correct in that it’s “seasonal”. The rewards for being a higher rank(pvp level) is access to certain basic reward tracks and at rank 20 access to ranked + you are gonna be getting achievement points/titles along the way

@RedAvenged.5217 said:

I said in ranked. Rank is your pvp level while ranked is a que type- during actual ranked season you get extra pips for being plat or legend toward the ranked pip system which gives more gold. Though you are correct in that it’s “seasonal”. The rewards for being a higher rank(pvp level) is access to certain basic reward tracks

Which means we're talking about different things. WvW is objectively better for rewards long term. Got it. I think this should be more like WvW.

@Azreell.1568 said:

Gw2 Conquest :

I have the exact opposite opinion.

Increase rewards to increase the player base.

Let's be honest conquest hasn't really been all that supported to begin with.

Look at drizzlewood - tons of loot people there non stop.

The same ideology could be applied to conquest.

It would attract tons of new player's many who may stay and thus in the process fix our broken match making system ( because we may finally have enough players again for it to work ).

Reduction in rewards for newer players does not increase the player base it has the opposite effect. Look at any time gw2 reduce rewards for an example.

The change you suggest benefits the older player base far more then the newer one which would not lead to a net gain.

With the number of bot and smurf accounts, the danger with increasing the rewards is that you're asking for even more BS given Anet's lax enforcement on cheating. And what sucks is that I don't even report every cheat I think I see. I've seen so many unguilded acccounts that spam 1 there's no way those are real players. Heck, just increasing the participation reward to 3 pips per match gets what you're asking for with this system. A new person is going to get creamed most times against 8 year veterans for the most part, and the rewards, as you state, are lacking against other game modes. WvW included. Adding account rank progression to it would help, not hurt and to get parity with the current system is actually pretty trivial.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

I said in ranked. Rank is your pvp level while ranked is a que type- during actual ranked season you get extra pips for being plat or legend toward the ranked pip system which gives more gold. Though you are correct in that it’s “seasonal”. The rewards for being a higher rank(pvp level) is access to certain basic reward tracks

Which means we're talking about different things. WvW is objectively better for rewards long term. Got it. I think this should be more like WvW.

We are talking about pvp. There is no actual reason to increase pups based off rank becuz rank doesn’t mean a whole lot- what means a good bit is ranked during seasons. That’s where pvp was designed to have the extra rewards and it should stay that way.Plus unranked is very cringe and wouldn’t wanna have to spend my time there for anything but playing offmeta or non main builds without effecting my ranked seasonEdit: also the title of the thread is “ranked” so it’s perfectly relevant and correct.

@RedAvenged.5217 said:

We are talking about pvp. There is no actual reason to increase pups based off rank becuz rank doesn’t mean a whole lot- what means a good bit is ranked during seasons. That’s where pvp was designed to have the extra rewards and it should stay that way.Plus unranked is very cringe and wouldn’t wanna have to spend my time there for anything but playing offmeta or non main builds without effecting my ranked seasonEdit: also the title of the thread is “ranked” so it’s perfectly relevant and correct.

Well I don't think the current system is working and there's been plat players caught cheating, so I would argue that it's unfair to reward cheating which is what the current system does. Tying rewards to account rank makes punishing cheaters that much more meaningful if their rank is reset beacuse they actually lose something as opposed to being able to just start cheating again and win all those rewards until anet finally notices.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

Well I don't think the current system is working and there's been plat players caught cheating, so I would argue that it's unfair to reward cheating which is what the current system does. Tying rewards to account rank makes punishing cheaters that much more meaningful if their rank is reset beacuse they actually lose something as opposed to being able to just start cheating again and win all those rewards until anet finally notices.

Idk why anyone would ever cheat just to get to plat. I could see ppl botting for rewards, but a bot program is probably gonna land silver at best and hence not get plat pips, so the system is working I guess

@RedAvenged.5217 said:

Idk why anyone would ever cheat just to get to plat. I could see ppl botting for rewards, but a bot program is probably gonna land silver at best and hence not get plat pips, so the system is working I guess

But it's happened and has been mentioned before on these forums (as I believe that's where I heard it) and as recently as last week someone on my PVP discord showed a guardian literally porting across the map and no one could come up with a valid explanation. Tying wins to rewards like this is bad in a cheating environment.