Should FTP players get raptor for free?

Firebeard.1746

I kinda feel like they should. GW2 didn't really feel complete for me until mounts were released. Obviously the masteries for it and other mounts should be gated behind PoF, but I feel anet isn't putting their best foot forward not letting players experience mounts at all at steam release. Perhaps it should be a leveling reward (like 10, 20 or 40).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they should just make the warclaw unlockable in WvW for f2p players without PoF that way we encourage more people to join WvW and the f2p players can get their taste of mounts without touching or modifying or devaluing Raptor (and other PoF mounts) or requiring them to buy the expansion.... also, there are other threads like this. about mounts, about how for free to play players - especially new steam players - to get to experience mounts without leveling to 80 and buying PoF.

such as these:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/113643/make-mounts-accessible-without-butchering-the-story-immersionhttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/113411/mount-rents-on-f2p-base-maps-on-steam-releasehttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solutionand more..

refer to the said threads or search the forums for more info or discussions and opinions about the topic.

@"Astyrah.4015" said:they should just make the warclaw unlockable in WvW for f2p players without PoF that way we encourage more people to join WvW and the f2p players can get their taste of mounts without touching or modifying or devaluing Raptor (and other PoF mounts) or requiring them to buy the expansion

I think this would be a good move, even though I have PoF and the warclaw already unlocked. Some of the servers in WvW seem to be really dead, so more players that want to play it would be a good thing. It may also help "balance" the mode slightly more in that the f2p players would be able to unlock and use the mount for the extra health and movement speed too.

I think it's a safe bet to do you best to support the game. Path of Fire is often on sale and recently has come bundles with Heart of Thorns.You can experience mounts for free during festivals but they are not needed to experience the core game.Also, in a lot of ways, the core game is like a big tutorial and maybe it's good not to be crippled by a "need" for mounts before you've even explored much on your own.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:WvW doesn't unlock for Play4Free players until L60.

Thus, I'm not sure access to the Warclaw will keep those players lamenting the loss of a Mount for leveling up, etc.

True, I forgot about that level 60 requirement for f2p players, so it might not necessarily keep the players that quit because of no mounts before level 60.

@"Obfuscate.6430" said:I think it's a safe bet to do you best to support the game. Path of Fire is often on sale and recently has come bundles with Heart of Thorns.You can experience mounts for free during festivals but they are not needed to experience the core game.Also, in a lot of ways, the core game is like a big tutorial and maybe it's good not to be crippled by a "need" for mounts before you've even explored much on your own.

Yeah all of the mounts are definitely a big selling point of the PoF expansion. Although it's probably a little hard for me to relate to the raptor being useful for exploration anymore, after unlocking the roller beetle and skyscale which are better. =)

@"Astyrah.4015" said:they should just make the warclaw unlockable in WvW for f2p players without PoF that way we encourage more people to join WvW and the f2p players can get their taste of mounts without touching or modifying or devaluing Raptor (and other PoF mounts) or requiring them to buy the expansion.... also, there are other threads like this. about mounts, about how for free to play players - especially new steam players - to get to experience mounts without leveling to 80 and buying PoF.

such as these:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/113643/make-mounts-accessible-without-butchering-the-story-immersionhttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/113411/mount-rents-on-f2p-base-maps-on-steam-releasehttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solutionand more..

refer to the said threads or search the forums for more info or discussions and opinions about the topic.

I'm glad to see this idea is becoming more popular ^^ few of us have been pushing for it for a good while now.Warclaw would make a great PvE starter mount if only it were made available to the core world players, come on Anet make it happen lol

@"Obfuscate.6430" said:I think it's a safe bet to do you best to support the game. Path of Fire is often on sale and recently has come bundles with Heart of Thorns.You can experience mounts for free during festivals but they are not needed to experience the core game.Also, in a lot of ways, the core game is like a big tutorial and maybe it's good not to be crippled by a "need" for mounts before you've even explored much on your own.

The problem comes at the end game.Once players without expansions have finished the story and stuff they often find it difficult to keep up with event chains and champ farms etc because of the large mobility difference between mounted and mountless players, the Warclaw being made available to unlock for the core game players would help to diminish this difference but not completely eliminate it.. that in itself can also serve as incentive for people to buy PoF as well to get the faster Raptor mount now that they've had a good taste of what mounts bring to the open world game, and the Warclaw itself also serves as incentive for people to try out WvW as well which is desperately in need of a population boost.

The Warclaw will suffice for a while though and players can make do with it through pre PoF content so they won't feel as pressured to rush ahead and unlock the Raptor, potentially spoiling the story for themselves.It's all pros from what I can see and I really can't think of any reason why Anet should't make this change.

I don't understand a lot of these "the game is coming out on Steam, give us stuff for free" / " people from steam won't like the game unless you include X for free for them...and everyone else" / "please nerf , if you don't steam players won't stay".

Especially the last one. The average skill level of someone who avidly games on Steam is likely miles higher than that of the average guild wars 2 player.

Not sure about unlocking a mount for free to play accounts. It sounds like a good idea but the whole reason for ftp is to interest people to buy the full version. Also, there are regular sales on full versions and expac bundles.

If ftp players get a mount, what are they going to do with it besides skip around core maps and avoid the original story to grind events, materials and achievements? That stuff is boring and may lower their impression of the game. Mounts could also allow very new players into L80 areas where they get p0wnd by mobs if they are kicked off the mount or dismount to mine some valuable-looking mithril node.

There is definitely an attraction to letting ftp players try mounts but it can also backfire. Mounts are for players who have a bunch of L80 toons, have exotic equip they are proficient with and have ground their way through the HoT death-trap without mounts.

A mount is kind of a cheat skill to reduce grind in well-tread maps. Free accounts may end up missing the best parts of the original game not visible from the saddle, get frustrated by ltp hurdles too soon or allow free players to leech a bit longer instead of supporting continued development. Mounts are like gem store (convenience item) purchases and, if a ftp player wants convienience, buy the game but don't skip through the core Tyria experience.

I'm still in favour of adding mount rental NPCs to maps. That way it can be restricted how Anet wants to do it an where, people couldn't skip through map after map without paying a fee each time to do so, and free/heroic players could get a taste of mounts that aren't quite as useful and/or have as many QoL features as PoF accounts. This would be especially handy for people on classes that don't have easy access to swiftness.

Mount rentals are already a thing with festivals, it shouldn't be too hard to add a handful to core maps and if a new player would rather spend 10s to move faster (until they hit water, take enough fall damage, end up in combat, or hit the 1 hour on that map mark) than focus on better gear or leveling up, fine by me. I'm not angry at the thought of non-PoF players having access to a mount outside of a festival and having played MMOs that had rental mounts, they can really encourage people to play more and invest money in the game. Even if the game was a grind, the fact they put the option in made it seem like they did have some consideration for my personal time even if that wasn't the case.

Don't knock the positives that giving players minor (or even perceived) QoL improvements can do. I'd rather new players have an option to try things out and choose how they play the game than force them to play the core maps as they were at launch/during LW1 when there's been two expansions and several years of updates that made that less of a slog.

Warclaw is basically a nerfed Jackal/Raptor, and would greatly help newer players keep up with the fast pace of meta events. Plus it requires "trying" wvw to unlock, which would add a soft requirement.

I think the Warclaw would be a good advocate for a f2p PvE mount, because everyone knows it's otherwise useless.

@Firebeard.1746 said:I kinda feel like they should. GW2 didn't really feel complete for me until mounts were released. Obviously the masteries for it and other mounts should be gated behind PoF, but I feel anet isn't putting their best foot forward not letting players experience mounts at all at steam release. Perhaps it should be a leveling reward (like 10, 20 or 40).

No, and the game shouldn't be F2P to begin with.

@"Sigmoid.7082" said:I don't understand a lot of these "the game is coming out on Steam, give us stuff for free" / " people from steam won't like the game unless you include X for free for them...and everyone else" / "please nerf , if you don't steam players won't stay".

Especially the last one. The average skill level of someone who avidly games on Steam is likely miles higher than that of the average guild wars 2 player.

Steam's just a wildly popular digital storefront. Making any generalization about "Steam players" is pretty pointless since its user base covers, like, the majority of the PC gaming market. Most existing GW2 players probably have a Steam account with other games on it, et cetera.

(I suppose we could make some generalizations about the subset of users who insist that all games they buy must be on Steam, but they're a minority of Steam users and I think those generalizations would be mostly unflattering.)

No, they should not receive the Raptor mount for free.

Core Tyria's maps were designed without mounts in mind. Mounts in Core Tyria make the world feel small, which is why I avoid mounting when playing on alternative characters (I will mount on my main when running dailies etc.)

Furthermore, access to any mount is rightfully locked behind a pay wall because this is one of the main consitituents of ArenaNet's buy-to-play business model.

If any new players wishes to have a mount and are passionate enough about the game, they can pay for it.

Raptor? No. But a different mount would be a good way to allow newer players to keep up with veterans when rushing to events. The idea of the Warclaw is an interesting one, because it would give it another reason to exist.

As for those talking about "just buy the expansion", players that bought the expansion would benefit from access to an early mount because you need to be level 80 AND beat the first instance of the expansion to get your first mount, so it's not only about free loaders getting something, but paid customers too.

To be honest Gw2 is already one of the most consumer-friendly games on the market. In my opinion, it is too much even.

The warclaw is a must for wvw these days like or not, so making part of F2P would be great.In PvE it has little to no use, you can maybe run faster to a meta event but it would give people a taste of what's to come when they buy PoF.