how big Cantha map will be?

ugrakarma.9416

@"Blocki.4931" said:I'd say we probably get one big PoF sized map per unique area. I'd love to see Kaineng City as a huge map with events happening all over the place. This could either be really, really awful because of how claustrophic it can feel, or amazing.

While it's not likely Arenanet had some really neat concept art (presumably for an entirely different game) of a high tech futuristic Tokyo-esque scene. I'd love for Kaening to be using this aesthetic and be its own zone filled with some weird grand-theft auto style events and underground criminal enterprises. Realistically it will just be a large sprawling area using Lab Cliffs and Crystal Oasis zephyrite assets, but it's a dream. I'm probably one of the few that really liked the mesh of sci-fi and fantasy in this game. The slums in Kourna/Gandara seem like they could have been really neat on a larger scheme and a non-terrible meta. lol

As far as the maps go, given how large Cantha is I'm hoping they find a way to make the maps larger in hopes that we get to explore known and unknown areas. It's a huge continent and we saw so little of it during Guild Wars 1. There's quite a bit to the west and a ton to the south that we never explored. There's also the fact that humans arrived on Cantha from somewhere else originally making room to discover even more ancient human civilzations than ever before. Granted I believe the speculation was that they came from another landmass, possibly the one titled "Arid" on the globe.

I do hope Kaening is fairly large and has a lot of verticality though. Most of the maps in GW1 aside from Echovald didn't seem like they would have a lot of room for highly vertical maps and with the addition of mounts I feel like they would have to either be pretty creative at adding it while keeping to the original aesthetic, or make the maps larger to not feel so claustrophobic.

Well if you look at the GW1 map, between PoF and LS4 we got almost all of Crystal Desert and Elona. The important areas, at least. I imagine Cantha will be the same, sparse at expansion release and filled in by the following Living World season.

That said, Cantha is smaller than Elona--its barely bigger than the Maguuma Wastes & Heart of Maguuma combined.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Well if you look at the GW1 map, between PoF and LS4 we got almost all of Crystal Desert and Elona. The important areas, at least. I imagine Cantha will be the same, sparse at expansion release and filled in by the following Living World season.

That said, Cantha is smaller than Elona--its barely bigger than the Maguuma Wastes & Heart of Maguuma combined.

The areas in this vary in our current map but Cantha is about the size of our current fully discovered map almost according to this. We only saw a portion of Cantha in gw1. But I have no doubt they'll have to shrink it down some.

https://blog.thatshaman.com/2014/11/updated-high-resolution-map-of-planet.html

@Bast.7253 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Well if you look at the GW1 map, between PoF and LS4 we got almost all of Crystal Desert and Elona. The important areas, at least. I imagine Cantha will be the same, sparse at expansion release and filled in by the following Living World season.

The areas in this vary in our current map but Cantha is about the size of our current fully discovered map almost according to this. We only saw a portion of Cantha in gw1. But I have no doubt they'll have to shrink it down some.

Planets are spherical, and this would put the majority of Cantha in an arctic climate, similar to the "Icy Tundra" to the north. Notice the slivers of land at the bottom of the map, those are the top of the Tyrian continent, wrapping around.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:Well if you look at the GW1 map, between PoF and LS4 we got almost all of Crystal Desert and Elona. The important areas, at least. I imagine Cantha will be the same, sparse at expansion release and filled in by the following Living World season.

Planets are spherical, and this would put the majority of Cantha in an arctic climate, similar to the "Icy Tundra" to the north. Notice the slivers of land at the bottom of the map, those are the top of the Tyrian continent, wrapping around.

arctic climate if you assume that the axis of rotation is near cantha . And it depends on the angle of the axis between the sun exposure.... of course only if anet decided to use a sphere type of world and not a biblic style . anything can happen in a fantasy world (depending on the story dev leaders)

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:Well if you look at the GW1 map, between PoF and LS4 we got almost all of Crystal Desert and Elona. The important areas, at least. I imagine Cantha will be the same, sparse at expansion release and filled in by the following Living World season.

arctic climate if you assume that the axis of rotation is near cantha . And it depends on the angle of the axis between the sun exposure.... of course only if anet decided to use a sphere type of world and not a biblic style . anything can happen in a fantasy world (depending on the story dev leaders)

There's a globe of Tyria in Order of Whispers Chantry of Secrets. And as I pointed out in the linked map, there's visible wrap-around with Cantha being right above the Icy Tundra and other frozen wastes.

Someone made a video of the map wrapped around said globe, but I don't have a link to it.

That_Shaman took the GW2 map art, expanded it downward, and added Cantha using the scaling from the in-game map texture.

If we use PoF maps as a benchmark, Cantha is very large, and easily supports 5 expansion sized maps, as well as an entire LW saga similar to Icebrood Saga as well.

note the below map is a purely hypothetical drawing based on showcasing the size of Cantha with no attempt made to claim this is actually how the expansion and Living World will look.

The size of maps E1-4 are based on the Elon Riverlands, and E5 is based on Domain of Vabbi. LW1-8 are based on Bjora Marches and Drizzlewood.

ydaqyVa.jpg