Still no bikini or "speedo"?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember the years people kept requesting mounts, and kept getting backlash from naysayers declaring it'd break their immersion? Despite the game's artwork including mounts? Despite the fact that we had people riding around on flying broomsticks and magic carpets already?

Anyone remember the years people kept requesting swimwear, and kept getting backlash from naysayers declaring it'd break their immersion? Despite the game having characters already in them? And characters in Southsun walking around in swimwear that is most assuredly NOT standard undies?

To be fair, I've not seen a lot of the "but my immersion!" argument on here yet. What I have seen is pretty surprising (and kind of hilarious - the ratings? Seriously?), but just as silly. I could anecdotally say that between all the games I've been on that involve swimsuit options (including Secret World Legends), they haven't been "abused" - though that term seems wildly inappropriate here. But you're welcome to disagree with either of the following statements that I WILL make. They're subjective.

1.) Swimsuits are fun and provide content.2.) Fun and content are what we're here for.

Here's one that isn't subjective, however:There's an interest and market for swimsuits in the community. It's been here for years.

So bring on the swimsuits, guys. Power to you. And let them be usable wherever, dye-able, and so on. Outfits or armor, either is fine by me. The rule of fun is more important than sparing a prudish authoritarian a case of the vapors.

@Fenom.9457 said:

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:Guys, it's coming! Or at least being worked on. Who knows what twists and turns this project might take in the future, so don't get your expectations up until it's on the GW2 frontpage.

I'm seriously intrigued by this Southsun Project. I always felt that GW2 needed a nice place for some relaxing activities. If Southsun became the holiday-resort the Konsortium marketed it as, I would be really happy.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD WERE GETTING STUFFFFFFF! IT NEEDS TO BE ARMOR SKINS

I can bet you anything it will be a Gem Store outfit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Look, it's not an issue of swimsuits being too revealing. It isn't a case of it being inappropriate. It's a case of, "does this make sense for the game?". And speaking in terms of how characters should look, then the answer to that question is no.

I personally believe in limiting the creative choices of players. I don't want to be rude, but frankly, many of you make truly terrible fashion decisions. This is already a huge problem with inappropriate style items in game. Things like pretty much any given SAB skin. Things like the Starbound griffon. Tacky garbage which hurts the theme and style of the world and only makes it feel more "game-y". Honestly those things are actually worse than swimsuits.

But any tool that will allow players to make ugly, immersion breaking characters gets a no from me.

We're way past that argument being valid though. Revealing clothes like what is propose do would be less intrusive than many items already in the game. Ultimately, everything does have a lore explanation, however weak.

I conceded they were less intrusive. But they are still intrusive. Just because some items are already visually offensive, I don't like to think there's no point protesting the addition of more.

Honestly items like this cheapen the aesthetic of the game. They're an insult to the artists who made great items and environments for the game's world.

I'm sure the company would find it insulting to see all the money flowing in. haha

@TheMan.2564 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Look, it's not an issue of swimsuits being too revealing. It isn't a case of it being inappropriate. It's a case of, "does this make sense for the game?". And speaking in terms of how characters should look, then the answer to that question is no.

I personally believe in limiting the creative choices of players. I don't want to be rude, but frankly, many of you make truly terrible fashion decisions. This is already a huge problem with inappropriate style items in game. Things like pretty much any given SAB skin. Things like the Starbound griffon. Tacky garbage which hurts the theme and style of the world and only makes it feel more "game-y". Honestly those things are actually worse than swimsuits.

But any tool that will allow players to make ugly, immersion breaking characters gets a no from me.

We're way past that argument being valid though. Revealing clothes like what is propose do would be less intrusive than many items already in the game. Ultimately, everything does have a lore explanation, however weak.

I conceded they were less intrusive. But they are still intrusive. Just because some items are already visually offensive, I don't like to think there's no point protesting the addition of more.

Honestly items like this cheapen the aesthetic of the game. They're an insult to the artists who made great items and environments for the game's world.

I'm sure the company would find it insulting to see all the money flowing in. haha

Human female cultural T3 light is a bra with a gigantic boob window, yet bikinis are a no no? lol

As long as this gives Anet more money to develop the game I wouldn't mind it, since like people have said there is already pretty revealing armour in the game. Cosmetics seem to be the only way Anet makes money besides expansions so I can't really see why these shouldn't be added if people will buy them.

The comments about Anet being afraid that we will dye outfits skin-tones. I assume they expected this, i thought the magician's leggings were deliberately designed so that they could be dyed flesh tones. I ran around for several days in a flesh tone starborn outfit and saw a few others as well. Metal bikini while wearing body glitter? Seemed fun! Then the novelty wore off and I moved on.