Please move collection achievements out of the story journal

jason.2043

Do you think Anet should have someone responsible for stopping achievements from ending up where they dont belong?Any achievement that requires collecting 18 pieces of armor, or 16 different weapons should be in the basic or rare collections tab.There are many achievements that could be moved around to make more sense, but this seems like the absolute lowest hanging fruit. It makes me sad to see collections I'll never complete with the mastery point badge next to them

I'd prefer the armour/weapons in collections too, but they exist in the episodes one for a couple of reasons;

• They are directly link to the episode's meta. That couldn't happen if they were in collections and they clearly want achievements of diff varieties and time sinks to make up the meta (and later the Season achievement meta if there is one this time)
  • It's neater for a lot of people the current way and easier to find if in the episode they came in

Doing it this way makes it easier to see which achievements have been added with each episode, instead of having to check through all the different sections just in case one's in there. It also makes it easy for people who don't have that episode to tell which achievements aren't available to them and can be ignored, because they're all grouped under the same tab so they don't waste time trying to unlock or complete an achievement they don't have access to.

@Danikat.8537 said:Doing it this way makes it easier to see which achievements have been added with each episode, instead of having to check through all the different sections just in case one's in there. It also makes it easy for people who don't have that episode to tell which achievements aren't available to them and can be ignored, because they're all grouped under the same tab so they don't waste time trying to unlock or complete an achievement they don't have access to.

I think that could be solved by having some text in colour to let players know which episode does it relate to.

So yes, I do prefer it to be moved to the collection tab.

@jason.2043 said:There are many achievements that could be moved around to make more sense, but this seems like the absolute lowest hanging fruit. It makes me sad to see collections I'll never complete with the mastery point badge next to them

There are collections that grant Mastery Points even if they were moved the collection would still have a mastery point.

As for the rest, I think it makes more sense to keep each episode's achievements in the same place.

I dont mind that there is a mastery point associated with it. I just would rather all these super expensive collection achievements go under collections so I can feel like I've completed the story achievement tabs. It would be good for player morale to put all of the achievements targeting whales under the rare collections tab.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:Yes they should be moved. You shouldn’t be forced to spend 100+ gold to unlock the meta achievement reward for a chapter. Currently, No Quarter requires this.

Why not?

It goes against how they’ve structured the game previously and is a heavier burden on casual players, which is the target demographic for living world story. Casual players should not be forced to complete expensive collections, particularly cosmetic collections (which is what the weapons collections in No Quarter are), to achieve story mastery since they’re likely lacking in mass amounts of funds to begin with and are also more likely to need to spend that gold on actual gameplay upgrades like ascended armor or high tier mounts which actually have function.

Previous content has always kept expensive collections separate from the meta achievement or has allowed for expensive collections to count in lieu of doing something else, but it’s always been possible to achieve mastery through gameplay alone. For example, the Drooburt collections (some of which are expensive) during festivals are always optional and never required to complete the annual achievements, but can be done if you don’t want to do one of the gameplay achievements. Heart of Koda is perhaps the best example here as well, since it was initially placed in the story journal tab but then later removed and put into collections due to its high cost being out of reach for the majority of the playerbase, but even it wasn’t required before its change of location.

Also, they’ve never done this before at all in the past 8 years. I went through literally every episode since LS2 just to be sure, too.

Living world season 2: all gameplay achievements, mawdrey not required

Heart of Thorns: all gameplay achievements

Living world season 3: all gameplay achievements

Path of Fire: all gameplay achievements

Living World Season 4: gameplay achievements only OR a mix, no expensive collections like elegy armor or skyscale required to complete the meta achievement, but some of them can contribute

Living World Icebrood Saga: bare minimum you have to do the Tengu Weapon Collection (over 100g) to complete the meta achievement for No Quarter.

I’m fine with gold sinks for cosmetics, collections, titles, etc. but they should not be required for story mastery and instead kept as separate goals. Story mastery should be kept accessible for casual players.

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:Yes they should be moved. You shouldn’t be forced to spend 100+ gold to unlock the meta achievement reward for a chapter. Currently, No Quarter requires this.

Why not?

It goes against how they’ve structured the game previously and is a heavier burden on casual players,
which is the target demographic for living world story.
Casual players should not be forced to complete expensive collections, particularly cosmetic collections (which is what the weapons collections in No Quarter are), to achieve story mastery since they’re likely lacking in mass amounts of funds to begin with and are also more likely to need to spend that gold on
actual gameplay upgrades like ascended armor or high tier mounts
which actually have function.

Ah yes. The “casual players” card.

Exactly why must the episodes mastery achievement be completed? Why can it gradually be worked on? This is an MMO; not a single player game so there will be long term content.

Previous content has always kept expensive collections separate from the meta achievement or has allowed for expensive collections to count in lieu of doing something else, but it’s always been possible to achieve mastery through gameplay alone. For example, the Drooburt collections (some of which are expensive) during festivals are always optional and never required to complete the annual achievements, but can be done if you don’t want to do one of the gameplay achievements. Heart of Koda is perhaps the best example here as well, since it was initially placed in the story journal tab but then later removed and put into collections due to its high cost being out of reach for the majority of the playerbase, but even it wasn’t required before its change of location.

Why must things be constrained to how things have been done before? Imagine if we applied that reasoning to everything. Imagine the progress.... er, lack of progress we’d make.

Also, they’ve never done this before at all in the past 8 years. I went through literally every episode since LS2 just to be sure, too.

Living World Season 4: gameplay achievements only OR a mix, no expensive collections like elegy armor or skyscale required to complete the meta achievement, but some of them can contribute

Living World Icebrood Saga: bare minimum you have to do the Tengu Weapon Collection (over 100g) to complete the meta achievement for No Quarter.

I’m fine with gold sinks for cosmetics, collections, titles, etc. but they should not be required for story mastery and instead kept as separate goals. Story mastery should be kept accessible for casual players.

That’s your opinion. By the way, the story masteries are still very accessible to “casual players”.

The episode mastery achievements don’t have to be completed. You personally decided that it has to be. The mastery achievements don’t have to be completed right away (within a few weeks). You’ve personally decided that they must. You’re assigning your own personal preference on how something should be.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Do casual players have absolutely no materials to craft? No ability to gather materials needed to craft?

Wealth discrepancies within community are much, much greater than the dps ones. John Smith let slip some of the info about it a few times when he was still running GW2 economy, and it was quite shocking then. While the absolute values might have changed since, i doubt the discrepancies themselves have become any better. If anything, i fear it's even worse now.

If 'casual' players are needing to finish Living World Episode metas (because that's what they've become accustomed to, since LWS 2), then 'casual' players play quite a bit completing all those gameplay achievements.
If 'casual' players play enough to complete those gameplay achievements, they aren't unaware of gathering materials, completing Dailies, acquiring loot, etc.Thus, I'm not sure how much 100G (minus the value of gathered materials) can be considered such a heavy burden.

Or, is it that all these 'casual' players are new to the game, and haven't completed any achievements to get 'gear' or 'Mounts'?
If new to the game, then they don't have the expectation to complete every LWS Episode meta, because they haven't been here to do so.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Why not?

It goes against how they’ve structured the game previously and is a heavier burden on casual players,
Casual players should not be forced to complete expensive collections, particularly cosmetic collections (which is what the weapons collections in No Quarter are), to achieve story mastery since they’re likely lacking in mass amounts of funds to begin with and are also more likely to need to spend that gold on

Exactly why must the episodes mastery achievement be completed? Why can it gradually be worked on? This is an MMO; not a single player game so there will be long term content.

Previous content has always kept expensive collections separate from the meta achievement or has allowed for expensive collections to count in lieu of doing something else, but it’s always been possible to achieve mastery through gameplay alone. For example, the Drooburt collections (some of which are expensive) during festivals are always optional and never required to complete the annual achievements, but can be done if you don’t want to do one of the gameplay achievements. Heart of Koda is perhaps the best example here as well, since it was initially placed in the story journal tab but then later removed and put into collections due to its high cost being out of reach for the majority of the playerbase, but even it wasn’t
required
before its change of location.

Why must things be constrained to how things have been done before? Imagine if we applied that reasoning to everything. Imagine the progress.... er, lack of progress we’d make.

Living World Season 4: gameplay achievements only OR a mix, no expensive collections like elegy armor or skyscale
required
to complete the meta achievement, but some of them can contribute

I’m fine with gold sinks for cosmetics, collections, titles, etc. but
they should not be required for story mastery and instead kept as separate goals.
Story mastery should be kept accessible for casual players.

That’s your opinion. By the way, the story masteries are still very accessible to “casual players”.

The episode mastery achievements don’t have to be completed. You personally decided that it has to be. The mastery achievements don’t have to be completed right away (within a few weeks). You’ve personally decided that they must. You’re assigning your own personal preference on how something should be.

This is also just all your opinion. Trying to discredit another player's opinion by saying "this is all just your opinions and preferences" while not acknowledging that you thinking this system is fine is also "just your opinion" is disingenuous.

@Blue Topaz.5409 said:

Why not?

Previous content has always kept expensive collections separate from the meta achievement or has allowed for expensive collections to count in lieu of doing something else, but it’s always been possible to achieve mastery through gameplay alone. For example, the Drooburt collections (some of which are expensive) during festivals are always optional and never required to complete the annual achievements, but can be done if you don’t want to do one of the gameplay achievements. Heart of Koda is perhaps the best example here as well, since it was initially placed in the story journal tab but then later removed and put into collections due to its high cost being out of reach for the majority of the playerbase, but even it wasn’t
required

Living World Season 4: gameplay achievements only OR a mix, no expensive collections like elegy armor or skyscale
required

they should not be required for story mastery and instead kept as separate goals.

This is also just all your opinion. Trying to discredit another player's opinion by saying "this is all just your opinions and preferences" while not acknowledging that you thinking this system is fine is also "just your opinion" is disingenuous.

The mastery achievements don’t have to be completed. That’s pretty much a fact as no content is locked behind them. It’s a personal preference as to whether someone decides to do them or not which I have said as much already.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Why not?

required

required

The mastery achievements don’t have to be completed. That’s pretty much a fact as no content is locked behind them. It’s a personal preference as to whether someone decides to do them or not which I have said as much already.

All things done in game are, as you say, personal preference though. That doesn’t negate arguments for/or against certain game designs.