Question about T4+ "meta"

Hey so I've never really committed to high end pve before but I'm making a push for it at the moment. Still only in T1s but I'm starting to craft ascended gear and I got a question.
I play revenant and I understand that alacrity rev is the meta, but to me that's a bit boring. I've always played healer in other games so I really wanted to play harrier rev, so I'd still give perma alacrity but I'd replace dps with healing.In your opinion would I get turned down a lot for T4s because I'm not playing the absolute most meta build atm or would it be fine?Unfortunately I can't open 76-100 bracket LFG to see what people ask for.In case people don't want heal revs at all, how about heal firebrand since the gear is transferable?I also want to eventually try out raids and I don't wanna craft diviner gear then not have it be good for raid as rev

The base job of a (wonderful) Ren : F2 + F4 for mights and perma alacrity ; staff (+darkazor's daze) for cc ; Assassin's Presence ; soulcleave's summit for strong burst and sustain ; All for One for good protection uptime, and a correct ~10k dps.And it's not an easy job, nor boring, far from it. It requires good management of energy and Charged mist, good knowledge and anticipation of phases (CC, burst etc) and of course of the potential of your class.
Not a majority of Ren are close to this. People think Ren is the cushynumber like Banner War was, and hold F4 sometimes+go afk is sufficient; it's not. But as Ren is often rare and groups still think a lazy ren is worth a dps without alacrity for the group you can't really complain or its too late.

So if you play Ventari/Kalla you can do all this, may be even more Mights as you can take LL over RR, but you'll lose Charged mist(Invocation traitline) or Assassin's Presence (Devastation traitline) and so you'll bring less buff overall.So it's okai, it's good. In a 1healer compo you can bring a power FB, and it works really fine. It's even "more dps" in theory.

Then, it starts to be complicated when you need to bring Stab or you need to bring boonstrip (Skorvald, chaos, instabilities with boons, some encounters with boons) because you need to change a legend for Jallis or Mallyx; and it is a very common expectation from the REN, it is your role in the "meta".And so you lose a big part of the support (Kalla, soulcleave's summit, breakrazor, darkrazor etc) or you lose all your healing (Ventari). Your original build is gone.Or you ask your FB or DH to bring a lot of stab, you ask the war to go Spb, or you have a reaper may be, or a chrono etc, to remove boons ; but in any case the group will lose DPS.

That's why we'd prefer, in a 1healer compo, the healer FB. Even if, against a golem, you have less DPS overall.Because Kalla is the "central" piece, you don't want to remove it or you lose all interest of the class, and the second legend serves to adapt to differents situations. (except rare situation when you need stab+boonstrip; but people can undestand you can't bring 4 legends and overlap every skills every 10sec)Because it is easier for FB to change some utilities ( bring wall, stab, renewed focus... ) without breaking its base, without losing too much buff/support ; and without asking the group to adapt resulting a dps drop (May be Siren's reef sometimes, still even here a good FB with smart people can excel with the "meta" builds)

So you can go Ventari/Kalla. It works for fractals.But you need to advertise your group, so they will not look for a healer FB; but you may also be stuck in situation where you can't heal your group or you can't bring the expected utilities; and others members are too lazy to adapt.

Edit,Healer ren works better for Raids; because you rarely need to also bring Mallyx or Jallis, you have 9 others people to bring the recquired utilities.Plus if you have a harrier Ren ... then you have a harrier FB ... Craft the gear, then see what's the best.

@"Eremoo.2786" said:raids seem harder to get into so I suppose I'll just "suck it up" and craft diviners for now and later once I start doing higher fractals and getting easier access to more ascended gear I can craft harriers or dps sets. Ty for info

Remember that you can make a budget build if need be. The target goal should be around 78%+ boon duration for permanent Alacrity, more is probably better for a novice player but this is the minimum for permanent Alacrity. In T4 fractals, most players will expect you to use fractal potions, which will cover 12-15% boon duration in stats.

You can then use things like concentration food, different runes and sigils to get the necessary base boon duration needed. Instead of say spending a ton of gold on an ascended weapon/armor set like Diviner.

One possible alternative would be:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyZlxQLMPaj1RaMOKjRSjMCygJzl5zH-zRRYBRHDO4DpCJQ6qgWGCqZW2dZD-e

where most of the Diviner stats are limited to the trinkets and thus a lot easier to acquire or at pretty much same cost as other stats.

Another alternative would be to get Diviner weapons, which would allow for Scholar Runes on armor, which makes this Berserker armor useful in other damage setups too:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyZlxQLMPaj1RaMOKjRSjMCygJzl5zH-zRRYBhBHd4DpCJQ6qgWGC2aW2dZD-e

@"Eremoo.2786" said:raids seem harder to get into so I suppose I'll just "suck it up" and craft diviners for now and later once I start doing higher fractals and getting easier access to more ascended gear I can craft harriers or dps sets. Ty for info

Raids are not harder than T4 fractals (not all raids, at least), but finding groups is harder. It doesn't mean you can go to raids, unprepared with random gear, random build, no research etc; it's still high level content with a base community already experimented.It's the same than CM fractals; you can read from some players "Oh no, you have to c/p the meta comp and do very particular strategy; otherwise you will never succeed" and it can be frightening for newcomers. Then, months after with more practice, you do all W1 for fun with 10 necros and you start laughing at them. Its doesn't mean either you should start raids with 10 necros we understand each other!

As for T4 you have no kill proof, people have to trust and endure each other, within a certain limit, until you start do to CM. You also have a progression curve with t1-t3, so in theory there is already less low level players in T4; you should expect some experience.Raids : there is no curve to start with, and you can just exclude half the players with a KP threeshold ; it's faster than to explain basic mechanics and kick inconsiderate or unprepared players.

Good day,

I play alac rev in fracs and raids and can say with confidence that diviners rev is the superior option for both. The hb and alac meta is well established and revenant by itself brings metric ton of utility. Also alac rev transfers well and easily into most raid compositions where as hb is not really the preferred option example: 2 quick Chronos and alac or two cqb and alac.

@Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:The base job of a (wonderful) Ren : F2 + F4 for mights and perma alacrity ; staff (+darkazor's daze) for cc ; Assassin's Presence ; soulcleave's summit for strong burst and sustain ; All for One for good protection uptime, and a correct ~10k dps.And it's not an easy job, nor boring, far from it. It requires good management of energy and Charged mist, good knowledge and anticipation of phases (CC, burst etc) and of course of the potential of your class.

Not a majority of Ren are close to this. People think Ren is the cushynumber like Banner War was, and hold F4 sometimes+go afk is sufficient; it's not. But as Ren is often rare and groups still think a lazy ren is worth a dps without alacrity for the group you can't really complain or its too late.

Amen.I just logged in do agree with you. Alacrigade is by far the hardest Fracal CM role and all because of the amount of things a good alacrigade does. You're right on that most groups just want their share of alacrity, but a well played alacrigade is to take the hat off to.

Now for the OP question, yes you can play heal alacrigade, but Healing from a heal alacrigade is redundant and really inecessary when having a healbrand. You will feel more useless that way unless you play with a quickbrand instead of a healbrand on your team which is pretty rare and you'll have a hard time getting into a LFG.

• 3 weeks later...

@Fueki.4753 said:I don't think you can bypass the Meta with PUGs in T4.If you want to play your personal build with PUGs, you are better of staying in T3.You can also try to find friends/guilds that are fine with your personal build in T4.

This, just yesterday we tried to do the wisp part of the Swampland Fractal SIX TIMES and people keep dying because they didnt know the fractal and brought shitty builds to the game, and today we had a wipe THREE TIMES on Molten because we had a team of thiefs with pistol, sword weavers with also shitty builds. Also I was playing as a healer and none of them would listen to how to any advice.

just do as i do, make your own party, normally i play as healer, but sometimes i go as dps.

if someone talk about bad dps of someone - kickif someone talk about meta - kickif someone trash talk someone on party - kickif someone say: no alac ren? - kick

you don't need anything to finish it, just 1 healer and 3 dps that know mechanics and they can do 5k/s dps

t4 is easy you could do it with greens if they had agony resistance, brainwashed metaplayers need to learn their place, they want you to think the content is hard because they are low skilled, so they need the perfect party.

you can play as you want, just don't auto atk and try doing mechanics.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:just do as i do, make your own party, normally i play as healer, but sometimes i go as dps.

if someone talk about bad dps of someone - kickif someone talk about meta - kickif someone trash talk someone on party - kickif someone say: no alac ren? - kick

you don't need anything to finish it, just 1 healer and 3 dps that know mechanics and they can do 5k/s dps

t4 is easy you could do it with greens if they had agony resistance, brainwashed metaplayers need to learn their place, they want you to think the content is hard because they are low skilled, so they need the perfect party.

Are you familiar with T4 CMs, by chance?

You don't even need to be super-meta to do decent enough damage. Purely auto-attacking with proper fractal build and pots alone should do over 20k during burns on pretty much all classes with any decent auto-attack weapon. 5k is pretty much healer-tier dps in fractals. (and Kitty's legit seen healers outdps some dpsers in T4 though that shouldn't really be possible unless the dpser doesn't even auto-attack or uses something incredibly stupid like camping water attunement as dps elementalist. Even autoattacking mortar engi does 20k.)

And healbrand is meta simply because it can carry so ultra-hard and many pugs need that carry in non-CM squads. Rene can do some things better but it doesn't hard-carry as well.

@"SeikeNz.3526" said:you don't need anything to finish it, just 1 healer and 3 dps that know mechanics and they can do 5k/s dps

It's really not a matter IF one can do it but rather how and how quickly/efficiently.I doubt especially most players who do Fractals every day want to spend 1-2h on them daily because of some 5k DPS players, when they could be done in 30 minutes with competent players and a meta or close to it setup. That adds up quite a lot over time.

Not sure what "putting brainwashed metaplayers in their place" means, just play the way you want to play and let other's do the same.The toxic anti hardcore player mentality in this community it truly a sight to behold.

When you catch yourself thinking that alacrev is boring just remember that there are people who outdps warriors as revs in CM fractals. The difference between bad and good revenants is very noticeable, much more than the difference between good and bad dpsers. So in my opinion there is a big learning curve on revenant which makes it not boring at all, quite the opposite. And besides, I don't think classes can be boring... Content can be boring, but not classes. But it is just my opinion.

@Eremoo.2786 said:Hey so I've never really committed to high end pve before but I'm making a push for it at the moment. Still only in T1s but I'm starting to craft ascended gear and I got a question.

I play revenant and I understand that alacrity rev is the meta, but to me that's a bit boring. I've always played healer in other games so I really wanted to play harrier rev, so I'd still give perma alacrity but I'd replace dps with healing.In your opinion would I get turned down a lot for T4s because I'm not playing the absolute most meta build atm or would it be fine?Unfortunately I can't open 76-100 bracket LFG to see what people ask for.In case people don't want heal revs at all, how about heal firebrand since the gear is transferable?I also want to eventually try out raids and I don't wanna craft diviner gear then not have it be good for raid as rev

I play Diviner Rev in T4s and Raids. I'd say go with a Diviner Rev. It's a ton of fun and as long as you are switching up your legends to fit each encounter the playstyle is very dynamic and full of variations. Your party will love you for dropping Jalis Stab at the right time. If you go healacrity rev you will have a very difficult time pugging T4s. as a whole the reason alacrev is so popular in T4s is because a good alacrev can pump out some very respectable dps along with all of the utility and buffs, most parties will already have a heal firebrand so taking a 2nd healer wouldn't be favorable for them.