Precursor drops

AoTsuki.8675

@MooseKnuckle.9562 said:

@AoTsuki.8675 said:Since my friend who is relatively new to the game dropped a precursor, I would like to ask you guys, did you ever get one dropped?I play since launch and never had one drop, had to buy them all off tp or craft.I won't say that I am not salty because I am.

I have been playing 5 years so far and I have never gotten a single drop ...I do not even have a legendary anything and I am wondering why I continue to play ....

I've been playing for over 6,000 hours, over almost 8 years and I've never had a precursor drop. I continue to play because there's so much more to this game than a handful of rare items. Especially since legendaries are almost entirely cosmetic and even ascended items aren't required for the vast majority of content, so I'm not prevented from playing any part of the game based on whether or not I've got a legendary.

Never getting a precursor drop doesn't even prevent me from having a legendary weapon. I've made 4 so far and could have made more if I wanted to. For the first one I bought the precursor (because crafting them wasn't an option back then) and for the other 3 I made them. Of course I'd love to get one as a drop, who wouldn't want a few hundred gold for free? (Although several of them actually sell for less than 100g now.) But it's not a big deal. It would be nice, but it doesn't define GW2 for me.

@MooseKnuckle.9562 said:

@"AoTsuki.8675" said:Since my friend who is relatively new to the game dropped a precursor, I would like to ask you guys, did you ever get one dropped?I play since launch and never had one drop, had to buy them all off tp or craft.I won't say that I am not salty because I am.

I have been playing 5 years so far and I have never gotten a single drop ...I do not even have a legendary anything and I am wondering why I continue to play ....

you are better off farming the gold as terrible as that is.

Ive gotten 8 drops, 7 of which where from the forge and i spent quite a bit of gold to obtain those drops but i wanted to "earn" them instead of buying them outright. The only one ive ever had drop for me was the focus, and it was the first legendary i ever made. and ive been playing since pre release(off and on of course.)

In the 7.5 years I've been playing I've had 1 drop from a Risen mob (The Colossus) and 6 or 7 from putting rares in the Mystic Forge (Tooth of Frostfang, The Energizer, Carcharias, Venom and 3 times Leaf of Kudzu). All of these dropped for me after Heart of Thorns was released, so the first 3 years I got nothing. I've sold them all because I had already crafted all the precursors I wanted. Before Heart of Thorns I never bothered with legendaries, because there was no guaranteed way to get the precursor you wanted besides spending a lot of gold (they were more expensive back then and I wasn't as rich as I am now).

7 years and only 1 precursor drop just before PoF. Mostly my fault .. If you don't play events that drop Exotics you've cut your odds of ever receiving a PreCursor drop.

There was a game bug that was silently exploited for 3-4 months at the start of PoF. Unidentified bags were affected by magic find and gave too many exotics. The inner circle farmed and bought those bags like crazy and opened them. THIS is why it seems everyone and their brother has a legendary now-a-days.

• 4 months later...

It isn't just precursors but exotics not dropping as much in general. Ever since the whole game was changed to drop unidentified, exotics don't drop as much. Which means not as many precursor chances either.

Before I would get a precursor drop every 500 hours on average. This was when I could get three exotic weapon drops a day. I get barely more than 3 exotic weapons a week now. Haven't had any precursors in the last 4k hours.

@AoTsuki.8675 said:Since my friend who is relatively new to the game dropped a precursor, I would like to ask you guys, did you ever get one dropped?I play since launch and never had one drop, had to buy them all off tp or craft.I won't say that I am not salty because I am.

I got a random precursor identifying an Uni'ded green. It's the one and only I've gotten so far, have played on and off since LW seasoon 3.

That said, there's ways to gamble for a precursor with loaded dice that I abuse with the mystic forge (but still haven't gotten, admittedly). IF you feel you can spare 4g, you can use 4 exotics of the particular weapon type for a shot. If you want a much cheaper shot (but less likely) you can use 4 rares. The latter is especially useful on Mystic Forger daily days as if you're not squeamish about selling the coin, you can actually make a profit with the attempt.

I've had two drop from wvw, an axe and a torch I believe.

I had my first ever pre drop from the mystic forge just the other week, after 8 years of playing this game. I don't know why but I randomly decided to forge some of my rares from a Dragon Fall run and the first rares I forged I got Storm.

Of course I was also in the middle of working on the wvw legendary trinket and Shining Blade and don't have map completion on anything else yet, but it's a nice goal to have for in the future.

I've had 3 drop. The harpoon gun during the lake doric leather farm, the collosus during the Istan meta, and Storm like last week from something in Drizzlewood. Storm was either from a chest that I didn't notice I got for a while, or from a blue unidentified gear, cause i noticed it in my inventory right after identifying all my blues.

11,565 hours and I've had 2 precursor drops, both within the span of a few months. Got Dawn from an unidentified gear bag, and got The Hunter from the Matriarch chest in Verdant brink. Sold both to fund other legendaries. Within the span of those 2 precursor drops I also got the Aurillium infusion from Auric Basin (which I also sold to fund HOPE). Crazy, crazy RNG and now nothing for 2+ years.

@Hannelore.8153 said:I've dropped three, all within a few weeks of each other. Never saw one before or after that. I get alot of Ascended drops though, and I hear those are nearly as rare, with some people not getting a single chest in years of play.

An important factor with ascended chests (and ascended drops generally) is that they only come from specific places. The only source in open-world content is a very rare drop from exotic champion bags and world bosses. Other than that it's Fractals, Raids and WvW and PvP reward chests. So people can have dramatically different chances of ever seeing an ascended chest drop based on the type of content they do. Someone who does daily Fractals or regular raids and world bosses will almost certainly get more ascended drops than anyone who spends the majority of their time playing open-world and story content.