Please add some more dye support for old backpieces

ASP.8093

I'm sure people have raised this issue before, but I feel like now is a great time to mention it because there's a really prominent example in the Sept. 15 update.

The Etherbound Back+Glider set is back at the Statuette dealer for 60 thingies (which I would classify as, like, the "fancy" tier). You can dye the glider. It's absolutely beautiful! Only two channels, but whatever dye you assign to the energy part will create some really nice gradations of color in the wings. The base plate looks really good with a high-contrast dye (like Darkness or Searing) as well. It's got a solid "opening" animation, too, with a pretty smooth transition from backpiece to glider, which is always what you want in a combo set like this. Dang nice glider all around.

But… you can't dye the matching backpiece. So if you want to use them together, you're basically stuck with the brass + purple colorscheme.

I understand why this happened: this design is from before any backpieces were dyeable. But, these days, it's such an annoying little historical wart that's holding back a lot of really nice skins, and probably a bit of a nasty surprise for newer players the first time they buy one of these legacy skins. I'd love it if someone on the art team could fix up the biggest offenders in this category; hopefully it's not that difficult given that the glider versions already have pre-opening shapes with all their dye channels set.

@"Ototo.3214" said:A lot of back/glider combos have this issue, the one that bothers me the most is the jetpack. It's cool that you can dye the glider flame, but not the flame puffs when you jump. Has forced me to always keep the glider one with an orange flame

Yeah, that's one I'd definitely put on my "biggest offenders" list.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Josiah.2967 said:I would pay for an upgrade option.

ANet has already said that it wasn't worth their time to re-code the older backpacks to accept dye channels. How much would you honestly be willing to pay? Now, do you think that there would be enough like-minded people who would also pay that amount to make this worth Anet's efforts?

I would like them to reconsider this stance, on account of how Fashion Wars is central to the game's business model, and they're clearly still trying to use those skins to drive Key sales in the gemstore.

@ASP.8093 said:

@"Josiah.2967" said:I would pay for an upgrade option.

ANet has already said that it wasn't worth their time to re-code the older backpacks to accept dye channels. How much would you honestly be willing to pay? Now, do you think that there would be enough like-minded people who would also pay that amount to make this worth Anet's efforts?

I would like them to reconsider this stance, on account of how Fashion Wars is central to the game's business model, and they're clearly still trying to use those skins to drive Key sales in the gemstore.

I'm not against more options in this regard. I'm just going off of what was said before:https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dye-backpacks-Shining-Blade-back-issue/page/1#post6260425https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dye-backpacks-Shining-Blade-back-issue/page/1#post6257985There are other posts, too, that can be found via the forums search feature.

@"kharmin.7683" said:I'm not against more options in this regard. I'm just going off of what was said before:https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dye-backpacks-Shining-Blade-back-issue/page/1#post6260425https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dye-backpacks-Shining-Blade-back-issue/page/1#post6257985There are other posts, too, that can be found via the forums search feature.

Ah, thank you. The thing about gear vs. "effects" being two separate systems explains a lot about why they're reluctant to do it.

@Ototo.3214 said:A lot of back/glider combos have this issue, the one that bothers me the most is the jetpack. It's cool that you can dye the glider flame, but not the flame puffs when you jump. Has forced me to always keep the glider one with an orange flame

In terms of the jetpack I also found it odd how you CAN dye the backpack. The blue section along the top of it can be changed to any other color, on the glider however this part cannot be changed and it will immediately turn back to blue when gliding.

@Jagblade.4627 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:A lot of back/glider combos have this issue, the one that bothers me the most is the jetpack. It's cool that you can dye the glider flame, but not the flame puffs when you jump. Has forced me to always keep the glider one with an orange flame

In terms of the jetpack I also found it odd how you CAN dye the backpack. The blue section along the top of it can be changed to any other color, on the glider however this part cannot be changed and it will immediately turn back to blue when gliding.

Pretty sure you meant that the other way around, the jetpack part of the glider does have another dye slot, but the back item one can't be dyed. Definitely odd though.

@Ototo.3214 said:

Pretty sure you meant that the other way around, the jetpack part of the glider does have another dye slot, but the back item one can't be dyed. Definitely odd though.

Yeah, that's what I meant! Sorry.