Why no hybrids?

DaVid Darksoul.4985

Norn and humans may look the same in appearances, but they are likely very different. Humans where brought to Tyria by the Gods. This might be partly esoteric as it is part of a religion, but it is recent and the Gods themselves are proven to be existing deities. There us no disputing lore. The only debate is wether or not they came to the world Tyria or the continent Tyria. Specially as humans have existed longer in Cantha and Cantha counts as the origin of the human race.About the origin of Norns is not much known. Kodak believe they can from Kodak. Jotunns have confirmed that they once ruled the shivepeaks together with the Norn. This dates them before the moment the Gods came to Tyria and brought the humans as well. So biological they are very different and most likely even like aliens are biological different from us.

All things considered though I wouldn't mind if we had a humanoid furry race.

I love the Charr and that GW is one of the few franchises that have an actual furry race without trying to sugar coat it as some kind of "catgirl" hybrid, but also its a nightmare on customisation. The engine is clearly designed primarily for humanoid models.

It'd also be nice to have the option of tails on Asura, too. (Yes, even if they clip.)

Bring up Wardrobe preview and see how nice "Dragon Fireworks Backpiece" looks on them with the animated tail!

@"Obfuscate.6430" said:I know people are talking about biology and about what the developers stated however, let us consider asuran science.There exists a hybrid already in Metrica province named IndriThe wiki does not include the little readables you find in the area you fight her. She used Ploint's Norn growth hormone on herself to become a massive asura. I mean that is technically gene therapy but also technically almost a hybrid!I'm sorry to inform you, but taking hormones may affect how genes express themselves, but it does not change the genes. Indri is just an Asura that took a lot of growth hormone, not an Asuran-something hybrid.

As others have noted, canon is that the different races cannot interbreed, established in the early days of the game. It's one of the few unequivocal dev lore statements we have. Maybe a very well-funded high-tech gene lab with a specialized krewe could manage a one-off (hey, it's how Spock was made), but the health of the result would be a concern and we certainly aren't going to see oodles of hybrids running about.

Of course the devs could rewrite anything they wish, and they've had a lot of turnover since launch and have heel-turned a number of lore items and npcs. But as I personally really like this bit of lore, I hope they stay consistent with it.

@Donari.5237 said:Maybe a very well-funded high-tech gene lab with a specialized krewe could manage a one-off (hey, it's how Spock was made), but the health of the result would be a concern and we certainly aren't going to see oodles of hybrids running about.Nah, even the Inquest has avoided gene splicing for the purposes of covert infiltration after a 3417 page dissertation was presented to the council with the conclusion the resulting hairless abomination was an abject failure devoid of any intelligence, so Project Logan was discontinued and presumably disposed of.

@Zephire.8049 said:Sylvari are new and magical and don't reproduce sexually, period.

while they themselves don't, i doubt they appear asexual because if they did they'd all be mere clones. we all know how different sylvari are, they have to originate from a bigger gene pool than just one ancestor. also there is more than one of those spawn trees existing.

mordremoth won't likely be the reason as his further developed minions lack uniqueness, apart from a few chosen ones and the occasional specially transformed sylvari (e.g. faolain).also you wouldn't want your minions to have a distinct personality, you would want tools that are highly specialized in their task and inside their group exact copies (clones).

remember that most plants rely on sexual reproduction even if some of them also have the ability to clone themselves. otherwise all blossoms and many fruits wouldn't exist.

@WorldofBay.8160 said:

@Zephire.8049 said:Sylvari are new and magical and don't reproduce sexually, period.

while they themselves don't, i doubt they appear asexual because if they did they'd all be mere clones. we all know how different sylvari are, they have to originate from a bigger gene pool than just one ancestor. also there is more than one of those spawn trees existing.

mordremoth won't likely be the reason as his further developed minions lack uniqueness, apart from a few chosen ones and the occasional specially transformed sylvari (e.g. faolain).also you wouldn't want your minions to have a distinct personality, you would want tools that are highly specialized in their task and inside their group exact copies (clones).

remember that most plants rely on sexual reproduction even if some of them also have the ability to clone themselves. otherwise all blossoms and many fruits wouldn't exist.

Well, the Pale Tree saw to it that sylvari podded out as individuals shielded from Mordy. She apparently used vaguely human forms due to humans in her vicinity way back when. More sylvari don't come from anywhere but Pale Tree pods (or from other Trees we'll never see since they are on the HoT cutting room floor); they don't reproduce with each other. They definitely aren't going to cross-breed with non-sylvari. Note this is distinct from their existing as sexual beings -- they do have the 'naughty bits' and the enjoyment of using them, but will not have offspring as a result.

A lot of the answers here focus on the lore reason behind this, and while they're interesting to read, I don't think it really answers the question – if the writers/designers had wanted to include hybrids, they would have changed the lore to accommodate that. As far as I know we don't have an official explanation as to why they decided to make the lore that way, so we can only speculate, really. I think there are lots of good reasons though, e.g. it would be a lot of work for little (if any) gain; it would dilute the distinctions between the existing races; if they were selective about which race combinations could produce hybrids (which they would have to be) they would still have to explain away those that can't; hybrids are arguably overdone in other fantasy stories/games, etc.

@"Astyrah.4015" said:and a charr + human or norn would probably look like FF14's Hrothgar

I find it kind of weird that Final Fantasy has a race called "Hrothgar". It's like if a European game had a race named after a legendary Japanese emperor or something. I googled them and to me they look like charr if they were designed by someone who had never seen a panther and had no actual interest in animals.

@"Xervite.5493" said:I think you are confusing the term race with species, idk why these tyrian categories are termed as races when it should be species.

No, I'd argue that 'race' is the correct word here. Races in fantasy are more closely connected to classes of mythological creatures than they are to species of animals, and the word 'race' has been used in that context (referring to the races of angels, demigods, giants, satyrs, etc.) continuously since the 16th century. Also bear in mind that "correct" English is determined by usage, and basically all fantasy literature uses 'race' rather than 'species'. In the case of Guild Wars specifically, the game itself uses the word 'race', for example, asking you to "select race" (rather than species) at character creation.

Actually female ligars are fertile, one zoo found that out when they had one in the same enclosure as a male tiger or lion, I forget which. This happy accident has caused researchers to re-investigate hybrids in general. It would seem most hybridization of exotic animals such as ligars was primarily focused on generating impressive male specimens and they kinda didn't care about the female offspring. short sighted, but I guess the rich guys funding such projects wanted the larger or more colorful male animals/birds to show off. Kinda sad because breeding female ligars with male tigers then breeding those offspring with another female ligar, on and on, you could eventually get a fully fertile breed of giant tiger. The new rule is that all male hybrids are sterile and some female hybrids are fertile.

@DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:Why do we see no hybrids such as a norn/charr or asuran/human? That would be awesome to have, although sylvaria would not be included since they don't reproduce sexually. It would be solely cosmetic since all races and classes have the same base stats, with the possibility of different elites. I also would really love to have split classes such as GW1 had, my toon was necro/ele, very strong. Different base stats system such as used by D&D games could also be applied to hybrids maybe? Would be a way to break the mundane. Sylvaria maybe could be included if a way to merge souls to create a lifeform was invented. Just rambling thoughts here ojn making GW2 more interesting.

I believe that we do have two human subspecies, possibly even three. But, as others have pointed out, for various reasons they cannot reproduce with each other.

@Obfuscate.6430 said:

The wiki does not include the little readables you find in the area you fight her. She used Ploint's Norn growth hormone on herself to become a massive asura. I mean that is technically gene therapy but also technically almost a hybrid!

no, it is not. It is tchnically using hormone therapy. Not a hybrid and genetics play no role in it at all.

@"DaVid Darksoul.4985" said:Why do we see no hybrids such as a norn/charr or asuran/human? That would be awesome to have, although sylvaria would not be included since they don't reproduce sexually. It would be solely cosmetic since all races and classes have the same base stats, with the possibility of different elites. I also would really love to have split classes such as GW1 had, my toon was necro/ele, very strong. Different base stats system such as used by D&D games could also be applied to hybrids maybe? Would be a way to break the mundane. Sylvaria maybe could be included if a way to merge souls to create a lifeform was invented. Just rambling thoughts here ojn making GW2 more interesting.

Unlike D&D, GW upholds the rationality of biology, and not "humans can mix with anything because reasons!" This means the only hybrids that will exist will be like mules or ligers - only possible through closely related species, and most (if not all) hybrids being sterile.

Humans are aliens to the world. They're not closely related biologically to any species in Tyria. Even if norn look like "big humans", they're actually cousin species to either the jotun and ogres, or to the kodan (the lore isn't entirely clear) - if hybrids are possible, then between those species is the most likely. Asura are of the rodent genus, while charr of feline genus. So charr, norn, and asura - being basically cats, bears/giants, and mice, are too distant to be capable of producing hybrids.

Though, perhaps, there's a close enough relation between asura and skritt - in a bit of irony.

Outside of the lore, there's the cost for all the new models and the potential issues that may be born for armor or animation rigging.

@"DeanBB.4268" said:We have class merging already. It's called Elite Specializations. It turns an elementalist into a sword-wielding battlemage, for example.

What you are asking for would be a re-do of the game systems, and I think it is far too late for any such considerations.

Wouldn't be an entire re-do of the game systems to allow secondary professions. They already set up a function emulating that for WvW events.

@"Brimstone.3807" said:If you want to mix with Sylvari you gotta pollinate the Pale Tree with some kind of mammal dna which would be um weird. Sylvari anatomy does not have a reproductive function.Not really. The Pale Tree was never "pollinated" by humans - the Pale Tree chose to use the humanoid shape and based their appearance off of what she saw. In theory, the Pale Tree could make sylvari look like anything, just as we had Blighting Trees in HoT producing mordrem that looked like wolves, trolls, raptors, colocals, etc.

@"Palador.2170" said:While it wasn't possible when the game started, it's TECHNICALLY possible now. The skyscale creation proved that if you get just the right things in the presence of just the right amount of magic (ie.: One kitten-load of), you can create something new based off of whatever the magic has to template off of. So a couple of, say, a charr and a human being together near enough magic could 'create' the baby in that way. However, that would require a LOT of research and work.

Far, FAR simpler would be for someone to create a more advanced transformation potion and use that to turn the male of the two into the same species as the female. The child would be the mom's species, but still influenced by the father's attributes. In a M Charr/ F Human pair, the kid would be human but their hair might be the color of the charr's mane and they may be a bit sharp of tooth. You'd never notice that they're not baseline human from just meeting them on the street, though, so you could be walking past hybrids all the time and not know.

(Also worthy of note is the fact that the potion idea would allow female/female to have a kid. Or even sylvari/non-sylvari.)

That's not really hybrids really, the skyscales was the Mists creating something using Kralkatorrik as a template. This is the exact same thing as Razah from GW1, and is really the same as Fractals except Fractals copy entire space-time events, and not simply using one individual or group of individuals in random creation.

And it has nothing for "just the right amount of magic" - The Mists isn't made of magic, it's made of proto-matter. And isn't very controllable.

@Xervite.5493 said:I think you are confusing the term race with species, idk why these tyrian categories are termed as races when it should be species.GW2W does label them as species.

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:A lot of the answers here focus on the lore reason behind this, and while they're interesting to read, I don't think it really answers the question – if the writers/designers had wanted to include hybrids, they would have changed the lore to accommodate that. As far as I know we don't have an official explanation as to why they decided to make the lore that way, so we can only speculate, really.But the fact that ANet writers had established lore explaining why there's no hybrids, established that ANet has decided they don't want to accommodate the existence of hybrids.

No, I'd argue that 'race' is the correct word here. Races in fantasy are more closely connected to classes of mythological creatures than they are to species of animals, and the word 'race' has been used in that context (referring to the races of angels, demigods, giants, satyrs, etc.) continuously since the 16th century. Also bear in mind that "correct" English is determined by usage, and basically all fantasy literature uses 'race' rather than 'species'. In the case of Guild Wars specifically, the game itself uses the word 'race', for example, asking you to "select race" (rather than species) at character creation.It'd be correct - to various degrees - for D&D, but not GW.

@DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:Why do we see no hybrids such as a norn/charr or asuran/human? That would be awesome to have, although sylvaria would not be included since they don't reproduce sexually. It would be solely cosmetic since all races and classes have the same base stats, with the possibility of different elites. I also would really love to have split classes such as GW1 had, my toon was necro/ele, very strong. Different base stats system such as used by D&D games could also be applied to hybrids maybe? Would be a way to break the mundane. Sylvaria maybe could be included if a way to merge souls to create a lifeform was invented. Just rambling thoughts here ojn making GW2 more interesting.

The dev's simply stated its not possible. The races as far as I recall in the lore can mingle like that, they can love and be loved and marry outside of their species but they cant breed with them.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

That's not really hybrids really, the skyscales was the Mists creating something using Kralkatorrik as a template. This is the exact same thing as Razah from GW1, and is really the same as Fractals except Fractals copy entire space-time events, and not simply using one individual or group of individuals in random creation.

And it has nothing for "just the right amount of magic" - The Mists isn't made of magic, it's made of proto-matter. And isn't very controllable.What I'm saying is that it could 'create' a hybrid without worrying about parents, if the conditions are right, much like how the first generation of skyscales didn't have parents.

And while the magic may not technically be needed, it seems that creating something out of the mists like this is very rare, normal events don't seem to make that kind of impression on it. That's where the magic would be needed, to make that impression. (Though I may be wrong about that.)

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"DaVid Darksoul.4985" said:Why do we see no hybrids such as a norn/charr or asuran/human? That would be awesome to have, although sylvaria would not be included since they don't reproduce sexually. It would be solely cosmetic since all races and classes have the same base stats, with the possibility of different elites. I also would really love to have split classes such as GW1 had, my toon was necro/ele, very strong. Different base stats system such as used by D&D games could also be applied to hybrids maybe? Would be a way to break the mundane. Sylvaria maybe could be included if a way to merge souls to create a lifeform was invented. Just rambling thoughts here ojn making GW2 more interesting.

Unlike D&D, GW upholds the rationality of biology, and not "humans can mix with anything because reasons!" This means the only hybrids that will exist will be like mules or ligers - only possible through closely related species, and most (if not all) hybrids being sterile.

Humans are aliens to the world. They're not closely related biologically to any species in Tyria. Even if norn look like "big humans", they're actually cousin species to either the jotun and ogres, or to the kodan (the lore isn't entirely clear) - if hybrids are possible, then between those species is the most likely. Asura are of the rodent genus, while charr of feline genus. So charr, norn, and asura - being basically cats, bears/giants, and mice, are too distant to be capable of producing hybrids.

Though, perhaps, there's a close enough relation between asura and skritt - in a bit of irony.

Outside of the lore, there's the cost for all the new models and the potential issues that may be born for armor or animation rigging.

@"DeanBB.4268" said:We have class merging already. It's called Elite Specializations. It turns an elementalist into a sword-wielding battlemage, for example.

What you are asking for would be a re-do of the game systems, and I think it is far too late for any such considerations.

Wouldn't be an entire re-do of the game systems to allow secondary professions.

@"Brimstone.3807" said:If you want to mix with Sylvari you gotta pollinate the Pale Tree with some kind of mammal dna which would be um weird. Sylvari anatomy does not have a reproductive function.Not really. The Pale Tree was never "pollinated" by humans - the Pale Tree chose to use the humanoid shape and based their appearance off of what she saw. In theory, the Pale Tree could make sylvari look like anything, just as we had Blighting Trees in HoT producing mordrem that looked like wolves, trolls, raptors, colocals, etc.

@"Palador.2170" said:While it wasn't possible when the game started, it's TECHNICALLY possible now. The skyscale creation proved that if you get just the right things in the presence of just the right amount of magic (ie.: One kitten-load of), you can create something new based off of whatever the magic has to template off of. So a couple of, say, a charr and a human being together near enough magic could 'create' the baby in that way. However, that would require a LOT of research and work.

Far, FAR simpler would be for someone to create a more advanced transformation potion and use that to turn the male of the two into the same species as the female. The child would be the mom's species, but still influenced by the father's attributes. In a M Charr/ F Human pair, the kid would be human but their hair might be the color of the charr's mane and they may be a bit sharp of tooth. You'd never notice that they're not baseline human from just meeting them on the street, though, so you could be walking past hybrids all the time and not know.

(Also worthy of note is the fact that the potion idea would allow female/female to have a kid. Or even sylvari/non-sylvari.)

That's not really hybrids really, the skyscales was the Mists creating something using Kralkatorrik as a template. This is the exact same thing as
from GW1, and is really the same as Fractals except Fractals copy entire space-time events, and not simply using one individual or group of individuals in random creation.

And it has nothing for "just the right amount of magic" - The Mists isn't made of magic, it's made of proto-matter. And isn't very controllable.

@Xervite.5493 said:I think you are confusing the term race with species, idk why these tyrian categories are termed as races when it should be species.GW2W does label them as species.

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:A lot of the answers here focus on the lore reason behind this, and while they're interesting to read, I don't think it really answers the question – if the writers/designers had wanted to include hybrids, they would have changed the lore to accommodate that. As far as I know we don't have an official explanation as to why they decided to make the lore that way, so we can only speculate, really.But the fact that ANet writers had established lore explaining why there's no hybrids, established that ANet has decided they don't want to accommodate the existence of hybrids.

No, I'd argue that 'race' is the correct word here. Races in fantasy are more closely connected to classes of mythological creatures than they are to species of animals, and the word 'race' has been used in that context (referring to the races of angels, demigods, giants, satyrs, etc.) continuously since the 16th century. Also bear in mind that "correct" English is determined by usage, and basically all fantasy literature uses 'race' rather than 'species'. In the case of Guild Wars specifically, the game itself uses the word 'race', for example, asking you to "select race" (rather than species) at character creation.It'd be correct - to various degrees - for D&D, but not GW.

You seem to have misunderstood me. I know the lore of the Sylvari's origins. This post is regarding Hybrids. The Pale tree could possibly choose to seed a Charr shaped Sylvari, but that is NOT a hybrid. It's a Sylvari of another shape, no fur, or mammal based flesh. To achieve a Hybrid something would need to introduce genes from one the of the other races and splice it with a fruit from the Pale Tree, which would be weird.

Technically, it is possible to create "hybrids". The Toxic Hybrid is an in-game example of this. However, as numerous contributors to this thread have stated, hybridisation is unusual, often relies upon magitech, and hybrids tend to be out-of-place in the world around them. At this point, nothing is stopping the devs from stating that the norn were conceived by interbreeding between, say, jotun and humans. I think that such a statement would be highly irregular, though.

• Like 1

@Brimstone.3807 said:

@Brimstone.3807 said:If you want to mix with Sylvari you gotta pollinate the Pale Tree with some kind of mammal dna which would be um weird. Sylvari anatomy does not have a reproductive function.Not really. The Pale Tree was never "pollinated" by humans - the Pale Tree chose to use the humanoid shape and based their appearance off of what she saw. In theory, the Pale Tree could make sylvari look like anything, just as we had Blighting Trees in HoT producing mordrem that looked like wolves, trolls, raptors, colocals, etc.You seem to have misunderstood me. I know the lore of the Sylvari's origins. This post is regarding Hybrids. The Pale tree could possibly choose to seed a Charr shaped Sylvari, but that is NOT a hybrid. It's a Sylvari of another shape, no fur, or mammal based flesh. To achieve a Hybrid something would need to introduce genes from one the of the other races and splice it with a fruit from the Pale Tree, which would be weird.

I understood you. You said: "pollinate the Pale Tree with some kind of mammal dna"

I merely responded by clarifying that's not how Blighting Trees' (and by extension the Pale Tree's) creation of minions work. And to clarify further:

The Blighting Tree merely creates a minion of its design, and usually uses a "template" to work off of - in the harsh manner, it uses a body placed in a pod to copy directly; in the kinder manner like the Pale Tree, it takes observations and creates similar design (think about tracing a previous artpiece versus sketching a live model).

There is no such thing as "introduce genes from one of the other races" in the creation of mordrem. Mordrem and sylvari are created by twisting local plantlife into minions while they're in pods where they gestate for a while. Mordrem corruption can infest a living being though - that's how Mordrem Wolves and Mordrem Trolls are made, but this is as much a hybrid as an icebrood is a hybrid with ice elementals, or branded are hybrids with crystal elementals - which is to say, not at all. And otherwise, all minions will be 100% plant.

No hybrid is even possible. Just corruption.

@"Stephen.6312" said:Technically, it is possible to create "hybrids". The Toxic Hybrid is an in-game example of this.It's not a literal hybrid in the context of this discussion though. It's just a "sylvan krait" - it's pure plant, in the shape of a krait. It was called a "Toxic Hybrid" because it's a hybrid of Nightmare Court and Krait magics, not genes.

Sylvari - Are Dragon minions, but purified.Imagine like, cute Destroyers. It'll be a wonder if they even have genitalia.

Charr - Biologically, I don't see how they can hybrid with any other race but Norns/Kodans.

Norns - Looks like a human, but they descended from Giants probably. I think there were some hints that maybe Norn and humans could interbreed, but in GW2 it's a hard no in lore.

Asura - Who would wanna bone this thing. (jk, I think they are basically rats so maybe the skritt can interbreed with them)

Humans - Are aliens. Nuff said.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Wouldn't be an entire re-do of the game systems to allow secondary professions.

That's not really hybrids really, the skyscales was the Mists creating something using Kralkatorrik as a template. This is the exact same thing as
from GW1, and is really the same as Fractals except Fractals copy entire space-time events, and not simply using one individual or group of individuals in random creation.

Asura aren't rodents, the teeth are all wrong. Skritt and Dredge might be closer.