Sunqua Peak

Tyson.5160

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Tyson.5160 said:Maybe the CM?

The CM will be just the endboss if I remember correctly for this fractal. I'm not sure they'd add new mobs for that

I'm a T1/T2 player (and our group barely got through t1 3rd attempt) so I wont be seeing CM to find out

They did add some new mobs and the boss does use a surprisingly large amount of a certain element. I found all the letters as well which gave interesting little details, I wish it got compiled in a book to read for later.

@"Svennis.3852" said:Do you think the elk/deer instead might be a Spirit of the Wild local to Cantha? Is there a reason all Spirits of the Wild would be confined to the Shiverpeaks?

They don't seem to be, Gorilla is explicitly mentioned to be a "far flung" Spirit of the Wild - meaning it's not part of the Shiverpeaks pantheon. I've long speculated the Zhu Hanuku from Factions is, in fact, a kraken Spirit of the Wild.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Perhaps I overlooked something, but I saw nothing worthy of being "spoiled" as I played through it

Like I said:

Well, one thing I've come to learn about ANet and "surprises" is that whenever they promote some massive reveal, it is either a) coming out of literally nowhere or b) been speculated and suggested for months by the community to the point where it's anything but a surprise.

I guess they wanted it to be a surprise that they're now using mounts as standard NPCs or something.

@Tyson.5160 said:They did add some new mobs and the boss does use a surprisingly large amount of a certain element. I found all the letters as well which gave interesting little details, I wish it got compiled in a book to read for later.Care to share for those who can't get in-game yet?

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Svennis.3852" said:Do you think the elk/deer instead might be a Spirit of the Wild local to Cantha? Is there a reason all Spirits of the Wild would be confined to the Shiverpeaks?

They don't seem to be, Gorilla is explicitly mentioned to be a "far flung" Spirit of the Wild - meaning it's not part of the Shiverpeaks pantheon. I've long speculated the Zhu Hanuku from Factions is, in fact, a kraken Spirit of the Wild.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Perhaps I overlooked something, but I saw nothing worthy of being "spoiled" as I played through it

Like I said:

Well, one thing I've come to learn about ANet and "surprises" is that whenever they promote some massive reveal, it is either a) coming out of literally nowhere or b) been speculated and suggested for months by the community to the point where it's anything but a surprise.

I guess they wanted it to be a surprise that they're now using mounts as standard NPCs or something.

@Tyson.5160 said:They did add some new mobs and the boss does use a surprisingly large amount of a certain element. I found all the letters as well which gave interesting little details, I wish it got compiled in a book to read for later.Care to share for those who can't get in-game yet?

Enraged Water Sprites. Might be a reskin of another Mob.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Tyson.5160 said:Maybe the CM?

The CM will be just the endboss if I remember correctly for this fractal. I'm not sure they'd add new mobs for that

I'm a T1/T2 player (and our group barely got through t1 3rd attempt) so I wont be seeing CM to find out

Watched teapots twitch stream the Cm does have the actual ending to this fractal

I guess the "surprise" is that this is "the girl from the picture." I don't know what picture Dessa is talking about but I'm assuming the painting of the canthan people in the Seraph's office in Divinity's Reach that we see throughout other areas of the game?

Or is the surprise that the ministry of purity is killing people who are suspected of having the affliction? Or was that a known fact already?

I don't know. I guess I should have realized that it was going to be inconsequential and hype. The fact that the letter collection is called "Another Side, Another Story" seems to be mocking the fact that it's just another side story.

It looks like the elementals show up near the end and there may be some more dialogue with the last boss but I'll just wait for someone to post it.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Bast.7253" said:Or is the surprise that the ministry of purity is killing people who are suspected of having the affliction? Or was that a known fact already?The Ministry of Purity was leading the charge to remove the last remnants of the plague during the "Winds of Change" storyline in Guild wars 1.

Perhaps the ministry was removing problematic people by accusing them of being afflicted after the WoC campaign.

The fractal story itself seemed rather disjointed/incoherent. And I say that as someone that's been replaying Cantha in GW1 recently/knows existing lore, read all the achievement books and shrine text in the fractal, and has had some time to sit and talk about it with friends.

I understand what happened in the achievement books, but it's hard to get a clear picture of what happened in the fractal itself (and would have been even moreso for someone that didn't read the achievement books). There's absolutely no reason that you should only learn who the boss is on the tier 100 CM, since it's crucial to trying to figure out what's actually been going on the whole time. And even after learning who she is, it still leaves me wondering about other NPCs and some of the text on the shrines.

The fractal was gorgeous and the fights were fun, but whatever they were trying to do story-wise it really wasn't as clear as it needed to be. There's something to be said for doing some sleuthing to arrive at an answer, but this was perhaps a bit too esoteric. Hopefully the actual Cantha story feels a bit less slapdash.

! FWIW, I think the elk/deer is Bo and Ai's daughter, Lan. That's why she speaks childishly and gets words mixed up, and asks you not to hurt Ai, and says maybe it's better if Ai doesn't know it's her.

@"Randulf.7614" said:For those of us who won’t see the CM, can you post under a spoiler tag the identity of this boss?

! The boss is Ai, from the letters scattered around for the achievement. In CM she's named "Ai, Keeper of the Peak." I'm assuming something happened to Bo, Lan, and Hyo-Sonn (the shrines you kneel at for a different achievement are seemingly theirs? Bo and Lan at least, the third is kind of hard to tell for sure), and that's probably what drove her to her sorrow, but I'm not sure what exactly happened to them. Perhaps the military hunted them down for deserting.

It's important to note that I haven't seen a full playthrough of CM so it may reveal more of the answers, I just got that info from the wiki. If you need to play the CM to make sense of the story though, I'm calling that a serious design flaw.

@"foozlesprite.8051" said:The fractal story itself seemed rather disjointed/incoherent. And I say that as someone that's been replaying Cantha in GW1 recently/knows existing lore, read all the achievement books and shrine text in the fractal, and has had some time to sit and talk about it with friends.Don't expect precise consistency with GW1, is all I'd say.Or anything prior to Season 3.

That said, fractals by nature are disjointed and incoherent because they're "imperfect copies" of one or more space-time pockets.

@foozlesprite.8051 said:The fractal story itself seemed rather disjointed/incoherent. And I say that as someone that's been replaying Cantha in GW1 recently/knows existing lore, read all the achievement books and shrine text in the fractal, and has had some time to sit and talk about it with friends.

I understand what happened in the achievement books, but it's hard to get a clear picture of what happened in the fractal itself (and would have been even moreso for someone that didn't read the achievement books). There's absolutely no reason that you should only learn who the boss is on the tier 100 CM, since it's crucial to trying to figure out what's actually been going on the whole time. And even after learning who she is, it still leaves me wondering about other NPCs and some of the text on the shrines.

The fractal was gorgeous and the fights were fun, but whatever they were trying to do story-wise it really wasn't as clear as it needed to be. There's something to be said for doing some sleuthing to arrive at an answer, but this was perhaps a bit too esoteric. Hopefully the actual Cantha story feels a bit less slapdash.

! FWIW, I think the elk/deer is Bo and Ai's daughter, Lan. That's why she speaks childishly and gets words mixed up, and asks you not to hurt Ai, and says maybe it's better if Ai doesn't know it's her.

Well I feel like I remember reading those names on the graves, but it still doesn't really mean anything. Are they just a random family?

But yes, the story felt like it was pretty jumbled. But I guess that's what you get when you decide to try to make a story fit into a fractal you've repurposed from years back and only have a few gemstore skins and rarely used npc models to plug in.

It was a fun fractal for sure and the scenery was nice, but I guess I set my expectations unrealistically high since it seemed there may not be another living world episode or vision progressing the story this year and this seemed like it was kind of taking the slot of one.

I mean, doing the challenge mode and all the collection achievements did it even explain why the elements are out of balance? Was it because of this woman?

As I just wrote on the other thread: I got every bit of Li Bo's story, but not a single bit about the fractal's. What made the element(al)s so angry? And who was the final boss, as I don't recall her name from GW1?

@Bast.7253 said:Well I feel like I remember reading those names on the graves, but it still doesn't really mean anything. Are they just a random family?

Yes. The sad fate of Bo, Ai, and their daughter Lan (a tale of love, family, and war against the plague). It's their graves.

@Ashantara.8731 said:As I just wrote on the other thread: I got every bit of Li Bo's story, but not a single bit about the fractal's. What made the element(al)s so angry? And who was the final boss, as I don't recall her name from GW1?

@Bast.7253 said:Well I feel like I remember reading those names on the graves, but it still doesn't really mean anything. Are they just a random family?

Yes. The sad fate of Bo, Ai, and their daughter Lan (a tale of love, family, and war against the plague). It's their graves.

Perhaps the hint about Cantha the developers speaks about is not about the Fractal but the story of this family.

You said the story is about this family and the war against the plague.

Maybe the hint is about what this family went through.

Perhaps the hint is related to the Plague.

We maybe looking too much into the fractal as the hint itself but did not consider this little side story about this family and the Plague is the real hint or a important part of that hint about Cantha.

The more I look into this the more I feel the warning Ai maybe trying to keep people away from her because of something. Something that maybe involving herself becoming a danger to other people beyond losing control of her own powers.

We are after all acting in the place of someone who went up to Sunqua Peak to obtain something from this person and Ai keep saying it is not safe for people to be here. However, it is more implied, in my opinion, not safe to be near her due to her very presence maybe corrupting things around her to a spiritual level.

The mountain was never corrupted until this Ai arrived and isolated herself in Sunqua Peak which means she is the source of the unrest but why maybe inside this little lore about this family and the Plague.

Dessa says whatever is corrupted Ai it is not Dark Magic but something Sinister.

We see something new that appear in challenge mode fight being the embodiment of Ai's sorrow, fear, and doubt.

Something is feeding on her darkest fears, sorrow, and doubts to a point it consumes her and causes her to lose herself to its control.

It maybe gone by the conclusion of Sunqua Peak story when defeating Challenge mode but all Ai did was banish it from herself. That thing that tried to take control over her still out there.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:As I just wrote on the other thread: I got every bit of Li Bo's story, but not a single bit about the fractal's. What made the element(al)s so angry? And who was the final boss, as I don't recall her name from GW1?

Perhaps the hint about Cantha the developers speaks about is not about the Fractal but the story of this family.

We maybe looking too much into the fractal as the hint itself but did not consider this little side story about this family and the Plague is the real hint about Cantha.

The more I look into this the more I feel the warning Ai maybe trying to keep people away from her because of something. Something that maybe involving herself becoming a danger to other people beyond losing control of her own powers.

We are after all acting in the place of someone who went up to Sunqua Peak to obtain something from this person and Ai keep saying it is not safe for people to be here. However, it is more implied, in my opinion, not safe to be near her due to her very presence maybe corrupting things around her to a spiritual level.

The mountain was never corrupted until this Ai arrived and isolated herself in Sunqua Peak which means she is the source of the unrest but why maybe inside this little lore about this family and the Plague.

Dessa says whatever is corrupted Ai it is not Dark Magic but something Sinister.

We see something new that appear in challenge mode fight being the embodiment of Ai's sorrow, fear, and doubt.

So you're saying that the elements are in disorder because Ai has corrupted them with whatever has a hold on her?

If that's true that could be pretty revealing, especially given the challenge mode and those spirits that we face. We face similarly named spirits in Malchor's Leap so it could be an interesting link to the DSD assuming that those spirits are in relation to the DSD.

But I like the idea of the DSD having domains of water and spirit and look for loose connections wherever I can find them.

I wouldn't think it would be the plague/affliction moving forward but I guess I could see it being relevant in the fractal. Could also be paving the way for them explaining that the plague and the events that Shiro unleashed may be expanded upon to fit the elder dragon narrative if that's where they're going.

Maybe people will find more hints as time goes on. I don't know how much more there is to read into though.

@Bast.7253 said:

So you're saying that the elements are in disorder because Ai has corrupted them with whatever has a hold on her?

If that's true that could be pretty revealing, especially given the challenge mode and those spirits that we face. We face similarly named spirits in Malchor's Leap so it could be an interesting link to the DSD assuming that those spirits are in relation to the DSD.

But I like the idea of the DSD having domains of water and spirit and look for loose connections wherever I can find them.

I wouldn't think it would be the plague/affliction moving forward but I guess I could see it being relevant in the fractal. Could also be paving the way for them explaining that the plague and the events that Shiro unleashed may be expanded upon to fit the elder dragon narrative if that's where they're going.

Maybe people will find more hints as time goes on. I don't know how much more there is to read into though.

It certainly appears that way after beating Challenge mode as it ends with Ai banishing a strange shadow that is being separated from her.

Whatever this shadow is tried to take over Ai using her doubts, sorrow, and fear.

Where this shadow has gone we can only guess but it is certainly not the end of it for certain.

If this shadow maybe linked to the DSD then it may support even more about the DSD control over Nightmares and using the emotions of nightmares (doubt, sorrow, and fear) to control beings.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@"Bast.7253" said:

It certainly appears that way after beating Challenge mode as it ends with Ai banishing a strange shadow that is being separated from her.

Whatever this shadow is tried to take over Ai using her doubts, sorrow, and fear.

Where this shadow has gone we can only guess but it is certainly not the end of it for certain.

If this shadow maybe linked to the DSD then it may support even more about the DSD control over Nightmares and using the emotions of nightmares (doubt, sorrow, and fear) to control beings.

I don't think it would specifically be "nightmares" though. I mean there definitely doesn't seem like a solid pattern between the domains of the dragons, i.e. mind/persuasion/fury/shadow/conflagration. Nightmare seems oddly specific yet too broad at the same time.

I wish there was somekind of understandable theme between them instead of feeling like the devs just chose things at random.

Water? and ------ - Crystal and FuryPlant and Mind - - - - ---- Death and ShadowFire and Conflagration ------ Ice and Persuasion.

Whatever the other domain is I would think that it has to be something that counters Kralk's domains of Crystal and Fury.Though looking at the other match-ups, Plant/Life vs Death, Fire vs Ice. Water vs Crystal?

I suppose "Fear" COULD work, but it feels kind of lame. I guess no more lame than than conflagration, persuasion, or fury though.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@"Bast.7253" said:Well I feel like I remember reading those names on the graves, but it still doesn't really mean anything. Are they just a random family?

We maybe looking too much into the fractal as the hint itself but did not consider this little side story about this family and the Plague is the real hint or a important part of that hint about Cantha.

There actually is no plague, the war is against the Kurzicks, though there is a single line about the Ministry talking about killing anyone who "shows signs" of affliction. No indication that there actually is such though.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:If this shadow maybe linked to the DSD then it may support even more about the DSD control over Nightmares and using the emotions of nightmares (doubt, sorrow, and fear) to control beings.

Weird why people are so obsessed with the DSD...

Demons have a bigger history with nightmares and emotions of fear, and Cantha. And we did have a recent fractal dealing with a demon of darkness that possessed people... The Voice.

Speaking of which, Arkk's story was a multi-fractal storyline, and the person who wrote that plot is the same person who is leading the current fractal team.

@"Bast.7253" said:

...I wish there was somekind of understandable theme between them instead of feeling like the devs just chose things at random.

Water? and ------ - Crystal and FuryPlant and Mind - - - - ---- Death and ShadowFire and Conflagration ------ Ice and Persuasion.

Whatever the other domain is I would think that it has to be something that counters Kralk's domains of Crystal and Fury.Though looking at the other match-ups, Plant/Life vs Death, Fire vs Ice. Water vs Crystal?

I suppose "Fear" COULD work, but it feels kind of lame. I guess no more lame than than conflagration, persuasion, or fury though.

Now that I see it put in columns, how about "resignation" or something along those lines (you know, including stuff like giving-up, exhaustion and that kind of thing. Sorry for my poor expression skill)? It's just a (probably silly) idea I got looking at your post...

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Bast.7253" said:Well I feel like I remember reading those names on the graves, but it still doesn't really mean anything. Are they just a random family?

There actually is no plague, the war is against the Kurzicks, though there is a single line about the Ministry talking about killing anyone who "shows signs" of affliction. No indication that there actually
is
such though.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:If this shadow maybe linked to the DSD then it may support even more about the DSD control over Nightmares and using the emotions of nightmares (doubt, sorrow, and fear) to control beings.

Weird why people are so obsessed with the DSD...

Demons have a bigger history with nightmares and emotions of fear, and Cantha. And we did have a recent fractal dealing with a demon of darkness that possessed people... The Voice.

Speaking of which, Arkk's story was a multi-fractal storyline, and the person who wrote that plot is the same person who is leading the current fractal team.

Yeah looks like although the afflicted were eradicated, they were still using it as an excuse for genocide.