A plea to Arenanet: Improvements in Fashion and customization!

mondmadlin.5120

It isn't a secret to a lot of us that "Fashionwars" comes with it's issues and limitations, often frustrating ones.With the new expansion coming up, adding a bunch of new content, I want to make a plea to Arenanet for some improvements of existing content, this would drastically improve the experience in the long run.

-Outfits have been a talking point for quite a while, they are easy, but that is pretty much the only good point about them, I know a lot of people, myself included, who stay away from outfits simply because there is no possibility to unlock the separate skins, thus being able to mix match the pieces. For a lot of people the fashion and customization aspect in GW2 is very vital and a lot of fun, to no ones surprise, after all it is a wonderful way to express and impress! However, outfits have made this quite frustrating, as there is a nice looking cosmetic, but you will be forced to look exactly like that, like everyone else.

Suggestion: It is an investment, but breaking up the outfits and giving skins additionally to the outfits, or even standalone, would move a lot more people to buying them. Especially headpieces should not be too big of a hassle to break into a separate headpiece, please bring us the joy of more aesthetic fashion!

-Glider Backpacks are quite a frustrating topic for many as well, with a lot of the glider+backpack combinations having a non-dyeable backpack, this has been a dealbreaker for many for several reasons. You will either be stuck not using the extra backpack you paid for, or have it be an unfitting colour, that changes when you use your glider.

Suggestion: Perhaps get a small team together, maybe even freelancers who can work on previous undyeable backpacks/gliders, separate channels and rework the colour maps, it doesn't have to be a quick change, just small steps, each month or so put the updated backpack combos on the gemshop, I am sure people will be more eager to get them in their fresh state.

-Character Creation is a little lackluster, as a human player I am experiencing heavy same face syndrome, while we do have sliders, they are not really enough to make very unique looking faces, the nose shape is pretty much set in stone, hook noses and pointy noses for example are not really possible, among lots of other nose shapes.Generally the facial proportions like cheekbones can be changed very little, not to mention the fact that you cannot really change body proportions at all.

Suggestion: An improved character creator would be a huge plus for current, new and returning players, especially with the new expansion. More and improved sliders give us more individuality and room for self expression which goes hand in hand with "fashion wars".

Fresh blood in the creative department- I feel might be a good decision, or perhaps some new perspectives, a lot of amours have started to look a little same-y and I have noticed I am not the only one who thinks so.Some fresh blood, new aesthetics or approaches might be helpful to bring some wow! back into fashion, not only clothes but weapons, too!Especially with the most recent

which has gotten a lot of negative critique it has shown that the visuals have become quite lazy, it is not creative to just put a dark moving cloud effect onto the player that just covers everything up.Lazy visual effects and glows have been a trend recently, I am not opposed to glow or pompous things at all, I just don't like the lazy, uncreative use of glow and effects on things like in the newest infusion.

I love this game, we all do, but we also know that it has issues that we would love it all the more without.

Thank you for all you have done Anet, please hear us.

@"mondmadlin.5120" said:-Character Creation is a little lackluster, as a human player I am experiencing heavy same face syndrome, while we do have sliders, they are not really enough to make very unique looking faces, the nose shape is pretty much set in stone, hook noses and pointy noses for example are not really possible, among lots of other nose shapes.Generally the facial proportions like cheekbones can be changed very little, not to mention the fact that you cannot really change body proportions at all.

Suggestion: An improved character creator would be a huge plus for current, new and returning players, especially with the new expansion. More and improved sliders give us more individuality and room for self expression which goes hand in hand with "fashion wars".

• more sliders for all races is nice (like arm length, leg length, neck length, body mass -- to make a lean~chubby -- beyond the physique types, etc.)
  • a number/position indicator for each slider including existing ones to make it easier to save a look you like or give us a template saving feature for character creation like in FF14 or Archeage
  • for race/gender specific things: beards, makeup, hair accessories -- all seperate
  • hairstyle mirroring
  • more hair dye choices

@Astyrah.4015 said:

• more sliders for all races is nice (like arm length, leg length, neck length, body mass -- to make a lean~chubby -- beyond the physique types, etc.)
  • a number/position indicator for each slider including existing ones to make it easier to save a look you like or give us a template saving feature for character creation like in FF14 or Archeage
  • for race/gender specific things: beards, makeup, hair accessories -- all seperate
  • hairstyle mirroring
  • more hair dye choices

I meant sliders for all races! I probably just expressed myself too vaguely, I was merely giving an example of my experience with human characters haha!And I completely agree with your other point, mirroring hairstyles, more hairstyles, all have become quite normal in other MMO's character creators.

@"mondmadlin.5120" said:It isn't a secret to a lot of us that "Fashionwars" comes with it's issues and limitations, often frustrating ones.With the new expansion coming up, adding a bunch of new content, I want to make a plea to Arenanet for some improvements of existing content, this would drastically improve the experience in the long run.

-Outfits have been a talking point for quite a while, they are easy, but that is pretty much the only good point about them, I know a lot of people, myself included, who stay away from outfits simply because there is no possibility to unlock the separate skins, thus being able to mix match the pieces. For a lot of people the fashion and customization aspect in GW2 is very vital and a lot of fun, to no ones surprise, after all it is a wonderful way to express and impress! However, outfits have made this quite frustrating, as there is a nice looking cosmetic, but you will be forced to look exactly like that, like everyone else.

Suggestion: It is an investment, but breaking up the outfits and giving skins additionally to the outfits, or even standalone, would move a lot more people to buying them. Especially headpieces should not be too big of a hassle to break into a separate headpiece, please bring us the joy of more aesthetic fashion!

Outfits exist due to how much it takes to create a full armor set.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"mondmadlin.5120" said:It isn't a secret to a lot of us that "Fashionwars" comes with it's issues and limitations, often frustrating ones.With the new expansion coming up, adding a bunch of new content, I want to make a plea to Arenanet for some improvements of existing content, this would drastically improve the experience in the long run.

-Outfits
have been a talking point for quite a while, they are easy, but that is pretty much the only good point about them, I know a lot of people,
myself included
, who stay away from outfits simply because there is no possibility to unlock the separate skins, thus being able to mix match the pieces. For a lot of people the fashion and customization aspect in GW2 is very vital and a lot of fun, to no ones surprise, after all it is a wonderful way to express and impress! However, outfits have made this quite frustrating, as there is a nice looking cosmetic, but you will be forced to look exactly like that, like everyone else.

Suggestion:
It is an investment, but breaking up the outfits and giving skins additionally to the outfits, or even standalone, would move a lot more people to buying them. Especially headpieces should not be too big of a hassle to break into a separate headpiece, please bring us the joy of more aesthetic fashion!

Right. I believe it was said that an armor set takes about 9 months to create. They can make outfits much faster.

EDIT: I knew that there was a post about this somewhere.

1. More hairstyles is a given. I'd appreciate it if the Sylvari got leafy mock ups of the more popular human/Norn hairstyles personally. I get it, they're plant people, so leaves and brambles... I still want them to look good? Is that too much to ask?

2. Transmute a selected appearance to a slot, not to an item. What good are purchasing these cosmetic pieces if it's only practical to use them if I have A: hundreds of transmutation charges to spare or B: am already level 80 and don't plan to replace my stuff anytime soon?

3. Similar to two, I wish I could choose to either show my outfit headpiece, my armor head piece, or hide head wear entirely. I have a character I want to wear glasses, but outside of the just released Queensdale Academy outfit (which looks... okay...) it's rather impractical to change the appearance of every head item he'll find to glasses, and alternative options just aren't there for outfits.

4. Finally, character creation. I do want more customization over my character, particularly the body. Even that simple square/four quadrant slider would do. Maybe "thin-heavy" for weight, on one axis, and "slim-built" for muscle volume/sex appeal on the other, with muscle definition being it's own, separate bar? I mostly just don't appreciate selecting from ~8 prebaked bodies.

1: Displayed number values for the sliders. Even if it's by hovering the mouse over the slider to get a pop-up of the number, that would be a HUGE help if we have a look we like, but have decided to reroll as another profession.

2: Saved Outfit color sets. Let's say... 3? Just three you can set the colors to on a character, so when you go to a new outfit, you can also call up one of those color sets instead of having to remember what ones you liked last time, or looking for where you wrote it down.

3: A lot of the other stuff that's in this thread.

Well, i did try again and again to promote this ideahttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/92903/suggestion-custom-outfit-skin-templates#latestWhich falls on deaf ears. It will help maintain static appearance whatever you go, or whatever gear you equip. Also to store fav. appearances for later use. Considering that Legendary Armory will come sooner or later, it will also help to maintain independent appearance for all character who will be using shared armory.

I also did mention that numbers in character creation slider will be better, and i also suggested to add height compersion to NPC. during character creation You can choose any, or atleast some, NPCs to compare your character height and choose a proper one, instead of deleting and re-creating character until you get it right.

Also when it comes to character creation, it should be allowed for us to apply your already unlocked skins to new character's gear. That will work exceptionally good with Wardrobe Templates from the link above, since templates will hold priority over starter gear skins.

@Westenev.5289 said:More choices are always nice, and I agree character customisation could use an overhaul.

Personally, I want to see outfits split into parts so we can use more dye channels on an outfit. Four dye channels is not enough for a full outfit, and makes them look awkward.

Not sure that will happen as outfits are pretty much a single unit by design. If they start splitting them up, they might as well make armor sets at that point. See my previous post in this thread for why armor sets aren't as prevalent.

Outfit need to be removed and split up into armour parts.If Arenanet wants the hard-earned money of the players, the need to go all the way and not stop halfway.

Arenanet created the unnecessary problems with the three models for themselves and they need to fix the problem,rather than punishing fashion warriors by tiptoeing around the problem.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:I'd like to see all armor weights unlock for all professions. This would open up a lot more armor combinations.I always thought that the reason for not doing this was for competitive play to give some indication as to your opponents' profession. With outfits, though, this point no longer has the merit it might have had. So, yeah, unlocking across the professions would be nice.

I also thought that due to the different weights, that the armor types couldn't mix/match without serious overlapping and/or clipping issues. It might be that Anet doesn't want that visual because then the complaints about how horrible things look would be more negative press. /shrug

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:I'd like to see all armor weights unlock for all professions. This would open up a lot more armor combinations.I always thought that the reason for not doing this was for competitive play to give some indication as to your opponents' profession. With outfits, though, this point no longer has the merit it might have had. So, yeah, unlocking across the professions would be nice.

I also thought that due to the different weights, that the armor types couldn't mix/match without serious overlapping and/or clipping issues. It might be that Anet doesn't want that visual because then the complaints about how horrible things look would be more negative press. /shrug

I doubt the clipping would be any worse than things already clip. Visually there is already a lot of profession overlap in many newer skin styles.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

-Outfits
have been a talking point for quite a while, they are easy, but that is pretty much the only good point about them, I know a lot of people,
myself included
, who stay away from outfits simply because there is no possibility to unlock the separate skins, thus being able to mix match the pieces. For a lot of people the fashion and customization aspect in GW2 is very vital and a lot of fun, to no ones surprise, after all it is a wonderful way to express and impress! However, outfits have made this quite frustrating, as there is a nice looking cosmetic, but you will be forced to look exactly like that, like everyone else.

Suggestion:
It is an investment, but breaking up the outfits and giving skins additionally to the outfits, or even standalone, would move a lot more people to buying them. Especially headpieces should not be too big of a hassle to break into a separate headpiece, please bring us the joy of more aesthetic fashion!

Ya, but I would not buy an outfit cuz I like the chest or the leggings. It is less work, but also much less sales. I sure do not have the tools to crunch the rate of return, but I find it hard to believe that outfits are more profitable armors, after all expenses. And other games pop armor like candy. So... not really buying into the 9 month.

@kharmin.7683 said:

-Outfits
myself included

Suggestion:

Right. I believe it was said that an armor set takes about 9 months to create. They can make outfits much faster.

EDIT:

they have been pumping out quite a lot of new armors lately, so they must have figured out a faster way to make them

i wont mind if bump up the price of them to 1200gems per set, i'd still buy them for the sake of fashion wars

the problem was they were spending too much time trying to fix them picture perfect for the whingers