A plea to Arenanet: Improvements in Fashion and customization!

mondmadlin.5120

Outfits: Just giving them dye channels would help a lot. I would love Raiment of the Lich if I could dye it, by turning off the head and giving it a different color set it could go from necro-gloom to forest spirit pretty easily.

Revealing male armor: I play a lot of sylvari, and one of the best things about their design is their bioluminescence. Apart from the head, it's most prominent on the torso which is covered up by almost all male armor. Come on ANet, #showtheglow

If they ever added the ability to wear armors from other weight classes, all Mediums would instantly explode.

Imagine, a decent look on a Engineer, Ranger, or Thief! I won't even talk about the horror that is trying to customise an Asura Medium female. Its probably the worst combination in the game of Fashion Wars.

Unfortunately I feel like the days when the devs cared about Quality of Life (QoL) are far behind us. Which is a shame because it used to be the mainstay of the GW franchise, and its what attracted alot of players to their games. Remember the trait system being overhauled many times just to get it "right"? Imagine them doing something on that scale now.

But well, we got capes and Cantha, so maybe there's hope afterall.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Gibson.4036 said:Outfits: Just giving them dye channels would help a lot.I doubt Anet would do this. Where would be the incentive for players to go after armor?

There would still be various benefits of armor: mixing and matching pieces, being able to dye channels differently on different parts instead of having the same channel dyed across the entire outfit, and simply having other looks since outfits provide unique designs.

If ANet made a seperate leg piece that would give my character digitigrade legs, I'd definitely go after that rather than wishing the Raiment of the Lich could be dyed.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:More choices are always nice, and I agree character customisation could use an overhaul.

Personally, I want to see outfits split into parts so we can use more dye channels on an outfit. Four dye channels is not enough for a full outfit, and makes them look awkward.

Not sure that will happen as outfits are pretty much a single unit by design. If they start splitting them up, they might as well make armor sets at that point. See my previous post in this thread for why armor sets aren't as prevalent.

I don't care if they're made into armour, I care about the haphazard application of dyes that makes my character look like they were dressed by an arts student if I stray from the preview dyes.

Take the Queensdale appearance package for example - I hate how the leggings are the same colour as the ribbon on females, meaning I am somewhat limited in the colours I can use. Other outfits have similar concerns, like the weird dye channels on the commoner clothing outfit boots.

I get you have a hate boner for anet creating armour, everyone on the forum knows by this point, but you completely missed the point. I just want more dye channels on outfits.

@Westenev.5289 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:More choices are always nice, and I agree character customisation could use an overhaul.

Personally, I want to see outfits split into parts so we can use more dye channels on an outfit. Four dye channels is not enough for a full outfit, and makes them look awkward.

Not sure that will happen as outfits are pretty much a single unit by design. If they start splitting them up, they might as well make armor sets at that point. See my previous post in this thread for why armor sets aren't as prevalent.

I don't care if they're made into armour, I care about the haphazard application of dyes that makes my character look like they were dressed by an arts student if I stray from the preview dyes.

Take the Queensdale appearance package for example - I hate how the leggings are the same colour as the ribbon on females, meaning I am somewhat limited in the colours I can use. Other outfits have similar concerns, like the weird dye channels on the commoner clothing outfit boots.

I get you have a hate kitten for anet creating armour, everyone on the forum knows by this point, but you completely missed the point. I just want more dye channels on outfits.

So much this. I picked up the wedding attire because I could make a pretty neat 18th century British officer look with it. Got the red coat, gold piping, blue trim, and white pants down perfectly! But the boots? They share a dye channel with the coat so they have to be red instead of black. The cravat / ascot? shares a dye channel with the vest / trim which it sits directly on top of so it has to be blue rather than contrasting. Honestly just one more dye channel for outfits would be great.

I absolutely hate Outfits, I have like 3 free ones unlocked. Unfortunately, I've been giving my money to an other MMO where I can equip fashion parts separately and mix-n-match them. Fashion is one of the most important things in MMOs for me and Outfits are a huge step backwards. I would never buy Outfits and capes, they are not my cup of tea. Give me a real reason to spend money on this game!

I also want optional idle animations, a way to turn them off completely, buy new ones and customize which ones we want to see on our character, new out-of-combat idle poses, new emotes, etc.

I'm a simple man, give facial hair to asura and sylvari, new tattoos for norn, and numeric inputs to the character creation sliders. That's all I need.

Eventually, I would love to see wardrobe templates too, where you can store your custom outfits, built using armor pieces and dyes of your own selection.

Also, free hairstyle customization, with hairstyles themselves unlocked through the wardrobe. Move some helm skins to the hairstyle customization panel too, specially sunglasses and hats, so you can wield masks+glasses and stuff like that.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"mondmadlin.5120" said:It isn't a secret to a lot of us that "Fashionwars" comes with it's issues and limitations, often frustrating ones.With the new expansion coming up, adding a bunch of new content, I want to make a plea to Arenanet for some improvements of existing content, this would drastically improve the experience in the long run.

-Outfits
have been a talking point for quite a while, they are easy, but that is pretty much the only good point about them, I know a lot of people,
myself included
, who stay away from outfits simply because there is no possibility to unlock the separate skins, thus being able to mix match the pieces. For a lot of people the fashion and customization aspect in GW2 is very vital and a lot of fun, to no ones surprise, after all it is a wonderful way to express and impress! However, outfits have made this quite frustrating, as there is a nice looking cosmetic, but you will be forced to look exactly like that, like everyone else.

Suggestion:
It is an investment, but breaking up the outfits and giving skins additionally to the outfits, or even standalone, would move a lot more people to buying them. Especially headpieces should not be too big of a hassle to break into a separate headpiece, please bring us the joy of more aesthetic fashion!

Outfits exist due to how much it takes to create a full armor set.

Outfits exist because they sell better than individual armor pieces, period. They don't take longer to create than armor sets, that's just plain disinformation.

@Lonami.2987 said:I'm a simple man, give facial hair to asura and sylvari, new tattoos for norn, and numeric inputs to the character creation sliders. That's all I need.

Eventually, I would love to see wardrobe templates too, where you can store your custom outfits, built using armor pieces and dyes of your own selection.

Also, free hairstyle customization, with hairstyles themselves unlocked through the wardrobe. Move some helm skins to the hairstyle customization panel too, specially sunglasses and hats, so you can wield masks+glasses and stuff like that.

@"mondmadlin.5120" said:It isn't a secret to a lot of us that "Fashionwars" comes with it's issues and limitations, often frustrating ones.With the new expansion coming up, adding a bunch of new content, I want to make a plea to Arenanet for some improvements of existing content, this would drastically improve the experience in the long run.

-Outfits
have been a talking point for quite a while, they are easy, but that is pretty much the only good point about them, I know a lot of people,
myself included
, who stay away from outfits simply because there is no possibility to unlock the separate skins, thus being able to mix match the pieces. For a lot of people the fashion and customization aspect in GW2 is very vital and a lot of fun, to no ones surprise, after all it is a wonderful way to express and impress! However, outfits have made this quite frustrating, as there is a nice looking cosmetic, but you will be forced to look exactly like that, like everyone else.

Suggestion:
It is an investment, but breaking up the outfits and giving skins additionally to the outfits, or even standalone, would move a lot more people to buying them. Especially headpieces should not be too big of a hassle to break into a separate headpiece, please bring us the joy of more aesthetic fashion!

Outfits exist due to how much it takes to create a full armor set.

Outfits exist because they sell better than individual armor pieces, period. They don't take longer to create than armor sets, that's just plain disinformation.

What you said is plain misinformation.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/777483/#Comment_777483

Funny thing is that the thread I linked was also linked in this very thread.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:I want to wear masks and glasses with hats already. Combine pieces that already exist. Tying armor to our equipment really puts a limit on everything when there are so many head pieces we can wear at once.

This would be the ideal solution, imo:

• Allow free hairstyle facial customization, using any dyes we own.
  • Unlock hairstyles and other facial features separately, like if they were wardrobe skins. This would let ArenaNet sell hairstyle packs individually, either for gold or gems.
  • Other customization options like beards, horns, and tattoos would be included here as well.

Some head skins would be moved to the facial customization slots:

• Hat skins would become hairstyle skins, and be split in different combinations of hat+hairstyle.
  • Sunglasses would become eye accessories.

Then we would reclassify the remaining head armor in three:

• Helms (usually heavy).
  • Goggles/Masks (usually medium).
  • Diadems/Tiaras (usually light).

In some cases, helms would override hairstyles, and goggles/masks would override sunglasses.

@Lonami.2987 said:

Same here. Many games nowadays have embraced separating cosmetics from stats, and as forward-thinking as many of GW2's systems were, we technically still have that restriction but it's just that we can choose which cosmetics to bind our stats with. I would also like to see weapons included in this system as well though, so maybe something like a cosmetic equipment tab.

I'd experiment with my characters' looks more if I didn't have to re-transmute/re-dye back and forth, or have to reacquire a set of correct-stat armor + runes + inventory slots/equipment template.

Ah, the same old rag on hating outfits likely being the same people that kitten on people who ask for more races stating the reason is because it would be too much work to fit them with the armor system... While asking for more complications to said system by "splitting" outfits into parts.

That it's easier to make outfits than armor sets is only a part of it. Another part is they'd have to make 3 versions of an outfit piece which is dumb excessive work. The big part is most outfits do not conform to the armor system designs. Some of the outfits are seemlessly designed rather than modulized by feet/legs/body/torso/shoulders/head/back. You can't break most of them up without making them cover multiple slots.

Personally, I'd rather have 3 new races that can only wear the outfits rather than bastardizing the outfit designs so they can be broken up and then making 3 versions of the broken up parts.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Leo G.4501" said:Another part is they'd have to make 3 versions of an outfit piece which is dumb excessive work.

If Arenanet hadn't split armour types
in the first place,
it wouldn't be a problem.Arenanet created that problem and now the players suffer for it.

You're preaching to the choir. I've long criticized aspects of the cosmetics all the way to the point of even attaching stats to the pieces at all. If the game progression is about not forcing a gear treadmill, what's the point of giving them stats at all? One positive most don't give outfits credit for is that it is a divorce between cosmetics and gear which should have been the case from the start.

It makes a lot of complications from inventory to build template UI that is all unnecessary.

But yes, splitting the armor into 3 weights while also linking stats to them (so you can't overlook any of those slots when designing armor) AND needing to make them for each race....it funnels a lot of creative freedom in designing unique looks that can fit together and you start getting into "same-y" territory the more armor you make. I commend Anet for the work they did do and I appreciate that they gave us outfits to round out some of the restrictions that system creates.

I'm not against any suggestions put forth in the thread, tho. I just want a couple more new races with some more lore and animations, pls.

@"Leo G.4501" said:linking stats to themI don't recall anyone asking for that.The armour skins they sold in the gem store at the early stages of the game had no stats to them either.

What (most) people want is being able to mix and match the outfits with armour pieces, or at least be able to hide certain parts, like shoulders and gloves.And since this isn't possible with outfits, they are disliked by many.

I commend Anet for the work they didAnd I don't.To me, outfits are equivalent to "We want your money, but we can't be bothered to create what you actually want."

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Leo G.4501" said:linking stats to themI don't recall anyone asking for that.The armour skins they sold in the gem store at the early stages of the game had no stats to them either.

I'm talking about the mock up for the whole system, i.e. you get +stats on your gloves vs a system that just puts your stat gains in a separate window and your "armor" is just a costume for your character. So yeah, the obtainable skins don't have stats but they have to be attached to something with stats. Imagine if you could decide if you want to wear gloves or no gloves at all? Or have a bare chest or something. There is no "nothing" skin except for feet and there isn't an option to "turn off" certain armor skin options except head and shoulders.

@Fueki.4753 said:What (most) people want is being able to mix and match the outfits with armour pieces, or at least be able to hide certain parts, like shoulders and gloves.And since this isn't possible with outfits, they are disliked by many.

You're conflating a lot of people into a single group. Asking to have outfits improved (what that sentence is asking) is a completely different thing than what this thread is asking. If you look into some of my post history, giving outfits unique "toggles" to turn various aspects on and off is an improvement to outfits I've suggested several times...and it doesn't just have to be "section", it could be a glowing effect or a layer. And that is a viable suggestion since outfits themselves are completely stand-alone and thus can be created as such without needing to re-design every other outfit or boxing the design into body section modules.

Asking to "break up" the outfits into parts, if that is what's being asked, should really focus on finding specific outfits most suited for that transition and make THAT the request rather than just a blanket statement (it would also sound like less work thus more likely to gain traction).

@Fueki.4753 said:And I don't.To me, outfits are equivalent to "We want your money, but we can't be bothered to create what you actually want."

The outfits that they have released I enjoyed the majority of them. Just because it's not your flavor of "We want your money" doesn't make you sound less entitled.

Since we're spitballing suggestions: We have the ability to hide helms and shoulders already. I'd love the ability to hide ONE shoulder from a set of two or mirror a set of one on both shoulders So I could walk around with a single Heavy Warband shoulder plate or say a matching set of Barbaric (or clockwork shoulders if I want to get fancy)

As a Charr player, the OP's comment about armor starting to lack variety made me smile. It's been like this for years for Charr. The options that allow you to not look like a huge cat-clown in human gear are limited. (insert mandatory rant about one of the most unlikely drops in the game being ... a Charr specific helm... but I digress )