Follow Up to my Original Post, "The Death of Thief"

darren.1064

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@ArthurDent.9538 said:The obvious solution to this is get Trevor on thief and unowen on ranger/warrior in the same foefire custom arena together and have them foot race from one Lord room to the other (no porting over the cliffs in the middle). As for me I'll gladly bet 100g on thief winning, any takers?

I am willing to stream it as well. I'll play the Thief. And yes, I want to put gold down on this.

@ArthurDent.9538 said:The obvious solution to this is get Trevor on thief and unowen on ranger/warrior in the same foefire custom arena together and have them foot race from one Lord room to the other (no porting over the cliffs in the middle). As for me I'll gladly bet 100g on thief winning, any takers?

Which part of "perfectly horizontal" are you not quite getting? The point was that specifically sPvPs non-horizontal map design is why thieves mobility beats ranger and warrior, while WvWs perfectly flat planes make warrior and ranger win.

We can do it in pvp, in wvw, in a pve dungeon, in a plane, on a train, it won't matter. The Thief will always win.

Find a friend on soulbeast and warrior and do it then. And do it properly, like I did a while back. Odds are youll get the same result, which is warrior and ranger winning. Do watch out if youre trying to do it around castle in EBG though, sometimes you get the no valid path thing there, which might ruin the race. But no, thief will
never
win on a perfectly horizontal plane. Thats what the math shows, and thats what a couple tests I did showed as well.

No, I need you to help me do this race so it gets done properly. I want to play the Thief and you be on the Soulbeast.

What if I say no? Ive seen how this goes before, even when they get proven wrong, people dont admit it.

Funny you mention that.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Trevor Boyer.6524I would bet gold on that too, if it comes to that I bet 300g on tif, if there are any takers.If mathematician doesnt kitten out, makes sure to record so we all can have a good laugh, dont be selfish plx.

Time to ante up boys.

@"FrownyClown.8402" said:Dont make him repeat himself pls

Too late.

And on that day, a fine test sample was ran for everyone's enjoyment:

Non-horizontal map. Did not use swiftness on Soulbeast. Did not maximise speed on Soulbeast. Multiple mistakes on warrior and soulbeast. Poorly optimised pathing on warrior and soulbeast. Gee wiz, I wonder why you got that result with how shoddy your methodology was. Now try it again in WvW, on a perfectly flat stretch of land, in a straight line, without making mistakes.

Edit: oh and nice blatant lie at the end. Daredevil would slow down quite a bit as well, warrior would slow down a lot less.

The daredevil wouldn't slow down much dude. We are talking a margin of 3% it would slow down or something from what is in the video. It has 50% movement while stealthed. The war and range on the other hand, would slow down drastically from only 25% in combat war sprint and 30% beast merge. Even if they had perma swiftness it's only 33% which hits extremely hard in combat vs. 50%. Notice the sheer uptime of stealth that the daredevil gets in the video, it's almost 100% uptime. And I wasn't even going out of my way to coordinate it so the stealth 50% was being used only when regening init. So pretty much you could organize it so whenever the daredevil has to WASD move, it will be in stealth 100% of that time. <- Realistically in combat, that is an enormously large amount of movement over the war or range. I mean you are trying to argue out of combat horizontal racing and the daredevil still is winning. In combat however there is absolutely no comparison, the daredevil will move a great deal faster than war or range due to that 50% while stealthed.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"darren.1064" said:The irony of this post that I'd like everybody to look at is that thief is acknowledged only for it's speed nowadays. The damage is so bad that it is made "feasible" only because thief has --possibly-- the best speed in the game as is being debated right now. However, what is all the speed in the world if you go into even a +1 and do the damage of a wet noodle?

It's not really a debate.

Correct, because this is an old well known fact in WvW.

There is literally just one guy in the entire community base who believes warriors & rangers can outrun a thief, despite everyone else making videos for him and explaining to him why it isn't true.

This however is wrong. Ask any avid WvW player and they tell you the same thing. You also didnt explain to my why it isnt true (on the other hand I
did
explain to you why it
is
true), and the only video made was by you, with methodology so unbelievably shoddy that I was able to save 10 seconds without even trying much, and a gap that was pretty close despite a vertical map. Now if Im not mistaken, I believe you found a flat stretch in PvE that you wanted to test it on. Yet we have not seen the result. Care to explain why?

Nope sorry , he explained to you with videos and words , that's he is rightAs i said , i willing to buy 2 accounts and put you in low pop WvWvW server to prove him wrong in a race , but you alway back away , finding an excuse

I figured after everyone told you youre wrong, you wouldve given up on trolling, but kitten. He didnt explain anything other than the very first time. Which was with a lot of errors that I fixed, and once I fixed them, turns out his math proved that Ranger and Warrior were faster. He never answered afterwards. And the one video he provided is of course shoddy and also worthless. And buying accounts is against the ToS. Im not gonna get banned because some troll thinks its an argument.

Show in action how to save 10 sec

I already explained how to save 10 seconds. It was trivial. Now stop trolling.

Have a duel please
You have tried on your own and you saved 10 sec , 15 min after the video was released
You can show us in action

Or you afraid ?

lol yeah I noticed that too.

It was like 5 minutes after I posted the video, he responds with telling me he just went out and ran his own full test with all 3 classes.

Your post: September 4th, 1:20 AM. My first reply, 1:28 AM. My first reply containing my results where I shaved 10 seconds off your time, 2:09 am. Almost an hour later. Maybe if youre gonna lie, dont go for such an easily disproven lie?

It wasn't even enough time for him to have watched the full video, let alone run any organized standard of testing.

Yes, obviously 49 minutes arent enough. Seriously, what were you thinking was going to happen if you lie so obviously?

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I am willing to stream it as well. I'll play the Thief. And yes, I want to put gold down on this.

Which part of "perfectly horizontal" are you not quite getting? The point was that specifically sPvPs non-horizontal map design is why thieves mobility beats ranger and warrior, while WvWs perfectly flat planes make warrior and ranger win.

We can do it in pvp, in wvw, in a pve dungeon, in a plane, on a train, it won't matter. The Thief will always win.

Find a friend on soulbeast and warrior and do it then. And do it properly, like I did a while back. Odds are youll get the same result, which is warrior and ranger winning. Do watch out if youre trying to do it around castle in EBG though, sometimes you get the no valid path thing there, which might ruin the race. But no, thief will
never
win on a perfectly horizontal plane. Thats what the math shows, and thats what a couple tests I did showed as well.

No, I need you to help me do this race so it gets done properly. I want to play the Thief and you be on the Soulbeast.

What if I say no? Ive seen how this goes before, even when they get proven wrong, people dont admit it.

Funny you mention that.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Trevor Boyer.6524I would bet gold on that too, if it comes to that I bet 300g on tif, if there are any takers.If mathematician doesnt kitten out, makes sure to record so we all can have a good laugh, dont be selfish plx.

Time to ante up boys.

@"FrownyClown.8402" said:Dont make him repeat himself pls

Too late.

And on that day, a fine test sample was ran for everyone's enjoyment:

Non-horizontal map. Did not use swiftness on Soulbeast. Did not maximise speed on Soulbeast. Multiple mistakes on warrior and soulbeast. Poorly optimised pathing on warrior and soulbeast. Gee wiz, I wonder why you got that result with how shoddy your methodology was. Now try it again in WvW, on a perfectly flat stretch of land, in a straight line, without making mistakes.

Edit: oh and nice blatant lie at the end. Daredevil would slow down quite a bit as well, warrior would slow down a lot less.

The daredevil wouldn't slow down much dude. We are talking a margin of 3% it would slow down or something from what is in the video. It has 50% movement while stealthed. The war and range on the other hand, would slow down drastically from only 25% in combat war sprint and 30% beast merge. Even if they had perma swiftness it's only 33% which hits extremely hard in combat vs. 50%. Notice the sheer uptime of stealth that the daredevil gets in the video, it's almost 100% uptime. And I wasn't even going out of my way to coordinate it so the stealth 50% was being used only when regening init. So pretty much you could organize it so whenever the daredevil has to WASD move, it will be in stealth 100% of that time. <- Realistically in combat, that is an enormously large amount of movement over the war or range. I mean you are trying to argue out of combat horizontal racing and the daredevil still is winning. In combat however there is absolutely no comparison, the daredevil will move a great deal faster than war or range due to that 50% while stealthed.

I had explained this before, but more important than your swiftness degree is how much of your movement is done using dashes. Their speed doesnt change at all. And Ranger and Warior spend more of it.

Nope you're right. You didn't make an actual statement until about 40 minutes later.

But arguing that 50% movement in combat is somehow not a large advantage over 33% is ridiculous my dude ^^

You don't have to use Dash when the 50% movement is on from stealth, and even if you did it wouldn't matter. It's virtually the same speed.

Should I make an in-combat video for you?

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Nope you're right. You didn't make an actual statement until about 40 minutes later.

Yes, because you totally didnt know that, because you totally dont have a way of checking that. And this totally isnt backtracking.

But arguing that 50% movement in combat is somehow not a large advantage over 33% is ridiculous my dude ^^

Its an advantage, yes. But here is the thing. Its not as big of an advantage as spending more times in dashes. Imagine for example you had a class that moved exclusively through fixed distance dashes. In combat and out of combat, their mobility is literally identical. Those dashes dont get slower. Your movement speed however does.

You don't have to use Dash when the 50% movement is on from stealth, and even if you did it wouldn't matter. It's virtually the same speed.

You do actually, its faster than moving.

Should I make an in-combat video for you?

Given your shoddy methodology so far, I have negative confidence your result wont be just as worthless.

I really want to know how ranger can outrun thieves. Perhaps I can finally catch them then.

It's a bit hard to catch a class that not only has like 3 teleports in a row, but also 3 dodges, that travel further than normal dodges, ontop of Swiftness ontop of the shadow art tree.

I really wanna know how.

Because my Swoop does not cover the same distance, last I checked. Even with Gazelle there is no way in Tyria I can catch up to a thief that really wants to flee.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

I had explained this before, but more important than your swiftness degree is how much of your movement is done using dashes. Their speed doesnt change at all. And Ranger and Warior spend more of it.

I don't understand how you're willing to argue this for days but refuse to make a video to prove your point. It's time to either put up or shut up.

@Ronald McDonald.8165 said:

I don't understand how you're willing to argue this for days but refuse to make a video to prove your point. It's time to either put up or shut up.

this is what happens when you use your pride.he knows he is wrong but he is too full of shit to admit it.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

this is what happens when you use your pride.he knows he is wrong but he is too full of kitten to admit it.

Well we humans are humans, we will defend something that we know is wrong, just because we do not want to be wrong.

Given the last time I tried to install recording software, the debugging would take too long and be way too annoying to be worth it.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

this is what happens when you use your pride.he knows he is wrong but he is too full of kitten to admit it.

No I know Im right, but Im not gonna bother wasting my time and patience to prove those who have shown they dont care about the truth, and will never admit when theyre wrong. Youre one of them, you should know that.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Also, as it pertains to the ranger MH sw2 cast time, it really does matter. The very sticky delays on both sword 3 and about-face sword 2 for mobility really cut into that combo's ability to move rangers across the field. I've practiced that opening many times in many matches, and guess what? Teammates just running in a straight line out of spawn can easily match me, and outright beat me if they have swiftness. What you dismiss as a mere cast time animation is 100% relevant here, as it significantly slows movement.

Yeah Im gonna easily call kitten. Actually, why are you talking sword? I ended up not using sword in any of the comparisions. For that matter, why are you using about-face on sword 2, its sword 3 that evades backwards.

I only mentioned sword because early on in the thread (prior to any demonstrations), you mentioned ranger sword as if it would help in the foot race. When @"Trevor Boyer.6524" correctly pointed out that the wack animations on the associated sword movement skills invalidated your point, you just essentially said "eh not really it's still fast." I merely wanted to add that I've extensively tested (short of using macros, I can't help but see them as cheats and refuse to get into them) using them out of combat, and the clunky animations do indeed prevent that sword 3-2 combo from being the super movement skill you seemed to think it is. Just running in a straight line seems to match it, and running with swiftness beats it.

And your comment on about face just reinforces the point that you don't know how to use that combo. Sword 3 is indeed the one that evades backwards, so no matter what after you use sword 3 if you want to keep moving in the same direction, you about-face and use sword 2.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

Also, as it pertains to the ranger MH sw2 cast time, it really does matter. The very sticky delays on both sword 3 and about-face sword 2 for mobility really cut into that combo's ability to move rangers across the field. I've practiced that opening many times in many matches, and guess what? Teammates just running in a straight line out of spawn can easily match me, and outright beat me if they have swiftness. What you dismiss as a mere cast time animation is 100% relevant here, as it significantly slows movement.

Yeah Im gonna easily call kitten. Actually, why are you talking sword? I ended up not using sword in any of the comparisions. For that matter, why are you using about-face on sword 2, its sword 3 that evades backwards.

I only mentioned sword because early on in the thread (prior to any demonstrations), you mentioned ranger sword as if it would help in the foot race. When @"Trevor Boyer.6524" correctly pointed out that the wack animations on the associated sword movement skills invalidated your point, you just essentially said "eh not really it's still fast." I merely wanted to add that I've extensively tested (short of using macros, I can't help but see them as cheats and refuse to get into them) using them out of combat, and the clunky animations do indeed prevent that sword 3-2 combo from being the super movement skill you seemed to think it is. Just running in a straight line seems to match it, and running with swiftness beats it.

I mentioned it would (Though not by much), but I also said "We dont need it, so Ill ignore it from here". Or something along those lines.

And your comment on about face just reinforces the point that you don't know how to use that combo. Sword 3 is indeed the one that evades backwards, so no matter what after you use sword 3 if you want to keep moving in the same direction, you about-face and use sword 2.

Yeah except thats not how you phrased it. You said "sword 3 and about-face sword 2". Implying sword 2 is the one that evades backwards, if you meant that they both need about-face, youd either mention it on both, or not at all.

@"UNOwen.7132" said:

Yeah except thats not how you phrased it. You said "sword 3 and about-face sword 2". Implying sword 2 is the one that evades backwards, if you meant that they both need about-face, youd either mention it on both, or not at all.

Nope. I was just describing what I usually do in combat. I try to play with escape in mind, so if I'm against someone on a node that I think has a good chance of pushing me into escape and reset, I already have my back to a direction I can evade out to. So the sequence becomes:

(1) sword 3 (no about face needed because I'm already oriented properly), followed by(2) about face, followed by(3) sword 2.

Nice try.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"UNOwen.7132" said:

Nope. I was just describing what I usually do in combat. I try to play with escape in mind, so if I'm against someone on a node that I think has a good chance of pushing me into escape and reset, I already have my back to a direction I can evade out to. So the sequence becomes:

(1) sword 3 (no about face needed because I'm already oriented properly), followed by(2) about face, followed by(3) sword 2.

Nice try.

Odd that you would use that in a context about out of combat mobility, but sure, I guess.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Nice try.

Odd that you would use that in a context about out of combat mobility, but sure, I guess.

Makes even more sense out of spawn, then. Since you seem to require that level of explanation, here it is:

(1) since there is a nice countdown timer before match start, I make sure my back is to the gate. then(2) sword 3, followed by(3) about face, followed by(4) sword 2.

The point is, you seem to think you're being clever by saying that "about face sword 2" somehow implies that sword 2 is the backward jump. This idea of yours is completely invalidated by the fact that sword 3 and sword 2 are in opposite orientations, so to use them successively always requires an about face in between.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

Nice try.

Makes even more sense out of spawn, then. Since you seem to require that level of explanation, here it is:

(1) since there is a nice countdown timer before match start, I make sure my back is to the gate. then(2) sword 3, followed by(3) about face, followed by(4) sword 2.

The point is, you seem to think you're being clever by saying that "about face sword 2" somehow implies that sword 2 is the backward jump. This idea of yours is completely invalidated by the fact that sword 3 and sword 2 are in opposite orientations, so to use them successively always requires an about face in between.

The context is rotating around the map, so that doesnt work either. Again, odd context to use this, but you do you.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Given the last time I tried to install recording software, the debugging would take too long and be way too annoying to be worth it.

There are so many free tools that are really easy to use. Windows 10 has a built in tool for recording games. Nvidia's Geforce Experience has a built in tool for recording. Then there are the literally hundreds of free options. Fraps is stupid easy to use.

Wouldn't you rather jut prove everyone wrong with a video and end it?

There are so many free tools that are really easy to use. Windows 10 has a built in tool for recording games. Nvidia's Geforce Experience has a built in tool for recording. Then there are the literally hundreds of free options. Fraps is stupid easy to use.

Geforce Experience would require me to figure out what my login was. The windows 10 tool doesnt seem to work. Fraps loved to crash things. Thats the thing, the tools tend to bug out, and Im not about to spend time debugging.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

The context is rotating around the map, so that doesnt work either. Again, odd context to use this, but you do you.

Ah, the ever shifting context/goalposts. Okay, I'll do me. You do you, which apparently includes weak logic and bad rangering.

Yeah except neither the context nor the goalposts were shifting. This is what it was about from the very start. This is just you backtracking after you made the error of not looking at what the context was. Weak logic is what youre doing.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Geforce Experience would require me to figure out what my login was. The windows 10 tool doesnt seem to work. Fraps loved to crash things. Thats the thing, the tools tend to bug out, and Im not about to spend time debugging.

Make a new account on Geforce, request new password, login with facebook.

Get on twitch and stream it, get on discord and stream it. So many options here.

Make a new account on Geforce, request new password, login with facebook.

Get on twitch and stream it, get on discord and stream it. So many options here.

And each of them more effort than its worth.