SEA server for Heaven's sake <3

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Just look at this website. It shows pings between various cities. Just add e.g. Adelaide and see the differences. for example. From Amsterdam to washington the delay is 84ms. from Adelaide to Washington it is 242ms. While both distances are significant and are on different landmasses. So the issue really has to do with infrastructure.

Now please reread my earlier post again about the dissadvantages of a dedicated server and ask yourself why Arenanet should do something that is hurtfull to the whole community just cause some parts of the world refuse to have a decent infrastructure.

Adelaide to Washington DC is about 3 times as far, so it makes sense that it'd be about 3 times the ping. That's not infrastructure quality (which is generally better than the US anyway), it's purely distance.

@Astyrah.4015 said:The servers are in the east coast -- iirc in Ashburn, VA. if the servers were anywhere in the west coast, expect your 200ms ping to go down to 155~180ms range same goes for the rest of OCE and SEA better pings if the servers were in the west coast

It used to be about 180 ms in GW1 when the servers were on the west coast, and that was even before the fibreoptic lines got rolled out here. So yeah, it could be quite a lot lower - my ping to the California servers in PoE is about 160, for example.

@Ben K.6238 said:

Adelaide to Washington DC is about 3 times as far, so it makes sense that it'd be about 3 times the ping. That's not infrastructure quality (which is generally better than the US anyway), it's purely distance.

Actually it is not. in the line (or in the ether) data travels with the speed of light. Wich would mean 56 ms vs 20 ms for the distance between EU and NA.The main issue is the amount of hops and route taken. This is also why the use of a dedicated gaming vpn makes a big difference and proves that distance isn't the issue, but the route taken, the routers used and the amount of hops envolved.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

Actually it is not. in the line (or in the ether) data travels with the speed of light. Wich would mean 56 ms vs 20 ms for the distance between EU and NA.The main issue is the amount of hops and route taken. This is also why the use of a dedicated gaming vpn makes a big difference and proves that distance isn't the issue, but the route taken, the routers used and the amount of hops envolved.

One must also consider that data travels in packets which are split up and re-assembled, with each packet probing and taking the quickest route. The fastest route for one packet may not be the same route as another. Quite frankly, if people really understood how networking happens, they would be amazed that it even works at any speed.

@kharmin.7683 said:

One must also consider that data travels in packets which are split up and re-assembled, with each packet probing and taking the quickest route. The fastest route for one packet may not be the same route as another. Quite frankly, if people really understood how networking happens, they would be amazed that it even works at any speed.

Also that ping is round-trip time, so it has to make its way back again. Crossing the Pacific is indeed quick compared to continental networking due to fewer hops, so it adds less per unit of distance, but all of this adds up. It's never going to be realistic to get lower than 180-200ms to the US East Coast from the western rim of the Pacific no matter how good the connection is, and it's usually going to be a lot higher than that, even at the end of the trans-Pacific cable.

@Exillian.8127 said:You can try using exitlag,wtfast, kill ping. I have used exitlag and killping. They stop the lags.

I actually tried the free trial for 3 days and am now thinking about getting it permanently. Is was nice having 160 ping compared to 250+. What is weird though is a few years back I never really had such issues will input lag due to ping. What happened?

@GaijinGuy.8476 said:

@"Exillian.8127" said:You can try using exitlag,wtfast, kill ping. I have used exitlag and killping. They stop the lags.

I actually tried the free trial for 3 days and am now thinking about getting it permanently. Is was nice having 160 ping compared to 250+. What is weird though is a few years back I never really had such issues will input lag due to ping. What happened?

an advise for you: try to stick to one good node/server if you're going to VPN. don't actively shuffle nodes/entry points or frequently alternate between VPN and your native ISP. reason being you might get caught in ArenaNet's random security sweeps. and having a login from your home location and then another login from halfway across the world (due to VPN) can be flagged by the system as "compromised". if that does happen you'll get the error code 3023 when logging in and you'll be temporarily locked out of your account until you contact support to get it back up (it's not a ban just a preventive measure against hacking).

so yeah stick to one VPN service and don't change nodes/servers (or on/off your vpn) often when playing or logging in and you'll be fine. find a good route with ExitLag for example and try to stick with it.

• 8 months later...

I would LOVE a SEA server. 😞 I get so, so, SOOOO tired of seeing video demonstrations of raid-tier rotations and stuff and not being able to pull off the same kind of benchmark because there's little delays in between skill activations, weapon swaps etc. that just make it impossible to pull off on my avg 250 ping connection. Likewise, I kind of have to shrug and just accept that I'll never be a Platinum-tier PvP player just because trying to play PvP means things like Bull's Charge shooting me PAST the enemy (they still get knocked down), but you can't follow up on your advantage because you're now behind the enemy and your burst just winds up wiffing air. You have to run back over to the enemy before you can unload your burst, and by that time half of the CD timer has finished and you've missed half your burst.

But anyway, I'm not holding my breath. If ANet hasn't released a SEA server in almost 9 years of GW2, I doubt it's going to happen now.