Computer crashes while game is running

Selein.5237

This started happening yesterday out of the blue. Nothing changed on my end as far as I can tell. What happens is I load the game, get to character select screen. Everything is fine. Select a character (doesn't matter which) and load into the game. A few seconds after loading into a map, the game totally freezes, I can't move my mouse cursor. Then maybe 10 to 25 seconds afterward, the screen goes black and the computer is completely non-responsive. No mouse cursor, no response to control-alt-delete, nothing.

So far, I have disabled Onedrive and ensured all my sound, hardware and graphics drivers are up to date. Changed battery settings. Running other games, like Civ6 at full graphics, haven't caused any issues. I have also tried the repair feature (adding -repair to the target line).

I have a CyberPower PC laptop.
Windows 10 version 2004; OS build 19041.508; Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics 2.9 GHzGPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 driver version 442.80Installed RAM: 16 GBSystem Type: 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor

In event viewer, I have the following events:Critical: 1. _Event ID _41 Source Kernel-Power _Log _SystemError: 1. Event ID 2 Source Kernel-EventTracing Log Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin

1. Event ID 2 Source THXUpdSvc Log Application
  2. Event ID 65 Source AppModel-Runtime Log Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime/Admin
  3. Event ID 6008 Source EventLog Log SystemWarning: 1. Event ID 360 Source User Device Registration Log Microsoft-Windows-User Device Registration/Admin
  4. Event ID 642 Source ESENT Log Application
  5. Event ID 6062 Source Netwtw08 Log System

Edit: I believe it has something to with my graphics driver or card. My laptop just crashed in the same manner as above after installing Endless Legend and I went to set graphics to max. Graphics drivers are all up to date. Please help.

1. Check the temps, it could be an overheating issue (unless this happens even when you just started your laptop).
  2. Run SFC /scannow in Command Prompt (with admin rights).
  3. If you are overclocking, try to disable.
  4. Check BIOS and see if your hyper-threading is properly set up.
  5. Set voltage-related settings on "auto" in your BIOS.
  6. Check the web for your latest Windows 10 2004 updates. Perhaps one is known to cause system instability or other issues. (Advice for the future: Never switch to the latest Windows 10 version for at least half a year after release.)
  7. If nothing helps, try a Windows repair using your Windows installation media.

This is 100% not a GW2 problem.

Most of the cheaper laptops, despite having impressive specs, have terrible cooling, meaning that you can't actually use those specs because the computer overheats and crashes when trying to run anything that could max it out.

At the very least, if you plan to play games on your laptop it should be on a high-end cooling pad, and be used in a room that is well-cooled by air conditioning. Sometimes a cooling pad is enough, sometimes you need a literal desk fan pointed at it.

And then there's times where you can't make them stay cool enough without directly modding them.

Being able to run other games "at full graphics" doesn't mean anything. Different games have a different impact on the CPU and GPU, even the fanciest looking games sometimes use less power because they have less objects to process (e.g FPS games).

One thing you can try is using either dx12pxy or DXVK addons, which make more efficient use of resources.

Thank you, everyone, for the help. Especially you, Ashantara.8731. You're right that this is not a GW2 problem. I tried most if not all the fixes you mentioned and nothing has helped but I did realize this is an issue with the graphics card, likely a hardware issue. I have submitted a request for help to the manufacturer. Thanks again, everyone, for your help.