closed due to lack of interest

BnooMaGoo.5690

@Dante.1508 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:Spellbreaker should do very well in pof whole story... I cant remember this fight at all, is it that annoying?

Its drags you in and insta kills you if you are 2 secs to slow.

Spellbreaker is bad because it has terrible ranged options.. and nearly every boss forces ranged combat or you are dead...

A lot of classes cc are poor and are on massive cooldowns or are just rinsed off in seconds..

Did you watch the video Shikaru.7618 linked?even missed 1 of the cc breaks and was not insta killed at all, just had to turn and press w to stay away from boss

I never said a veteran can't pass it, i even passed it, i was explaining what it does and why its annoying. aren't you a raider anyway?

@aspirine.6852 said:Spellbreaker should do very well in pof whole story... I cant remember this fight at all, is it that annoying?

Spellbreaker is bad because it has terrible ranged options.. and nearly every boss forces ranged combat or you are dead...

A lot of classes cc are poor and are on massive cooldowns or are just rinsed off in seconds..

Weird that you feel that way, I usually favor my spellbreaker for bounties and dailies.. I agree that some bosses are not melee friendly.

Warrior really needs better ranged options..

Yes I heal in raids what do that got to do with eater of souls fight?

Raiders are far and above the general population of casual gamers, so a boss like that is run of the mill to you, to someone like me a person who doesn't raid ever its very hard, annoyingly so.I just did this the other day and i still died three times before i realized what i had to do.. Its why this thread spoke to me as such. It tethers you drags you in damaging you the whole time then insta kills you before you can even think i need to CC this twerp.. then its downed and dead..As i said its not fun for many.

So what is your suggestion? Story bosses should never have any mechanic? Can be defeated just by autoattacking without moving? How much of the game's mechanics should be thrown away for story encounters?

Eater of Souls is by no means perfect when it comes to design but it also has a perfectly reasonable "obvious" option of running away while it is trying to drain your health. As long as you can prevent it from healing through the life steal nothing else really matters.

It does have a pull but you can still run away after that.It also has a launch you but that is what stun breaks are for.

My suggestion is keep these mechanics in Raids and Fractals, they aren't needed in a story where 90% of customers are playing to watch a story and enjoying the open world.. Very very different game modes..

If players just want to watch a story and not have any gameplay... They can always just watch the story on YouTube.

Games are designed to be interactive media. Since that's literally the unique thing about video games.

Having mechanics makes a player have to interact with the game, they can make an enemy that's supposed to be tough, feel tough. They can make the player feel like they're up against adversity when they're going against the big bad villain and share in the feeling of success when they and their character beats them.

Making games non-interactive for "Story" purposes can actually harm the story. As can be seen by the significant number of complaints about how Zhaitan's death was handled as the low player agency in the "Fight" leaves a lot to be desired from what is supposedly the biggest, baddest enemy to ever be faced by any mortal at that point in time.

On the other hand, Mordremoth, Balthazar and Kralkatorrik have much more player agency involved (Though, aren't particularly challenging either) and are much better at capturing the feeling that they're terrifying powerful villains (Especially the Dragon's Stand meta for Mordremoth). They create a much better storytelling than them simply being some random mook the PC smashes down with 0 effort.

(My only gripe with designs like this are "Forced Failure" fights that aren't impossibly unfair and will abruptly end even if you're perfectly alive and fine... I.e. The fights with Balthazar before the final fight... Even better is when these fights must be "Won" and can be failed by dying early)

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I went ahead and did a demo of this fight. I think it's a good example of a fight where proper attention to the breakbar mechanic and high damage make a sometimes tricky fight much easier. I am actually using dire gear here, too. So don't think you need to run some sort of full berserker power burst build to pull this off. The time between breakbars is quite long. I wasn't able to tell because the boss didn't last long enough, but I think we're talking 20-30 second range here. You have plenty of time to burn this guy while he does nothing much to you. Just be ready on that CC at the start and take him down!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:This player succeeds and is not really in much danger. So this strategy will safely get the job done. However, they spend a lot of time not dealing damage to the boss in order to bypass this mechanic. As you can see, every time the boss succeeds in draining life it's a significant setback, prolonging the fight and forcing the player to deal with even more life drain attacks.

Again, this is why experienced players often recommend high damage builds for open world/story content. Playing too defensively can make an easy fight into a bit of a nightmare!

Most of that isn't really true except for people recommending high damage builds. That is a way to bypass but not the only way. It is probably one of the worst ways since it wastes so much time and involves making it impossible to see what the boss is doing. The reason it took so long is not because of a low damage build it is because of a bad strategy.

Oh, I agree 100%. I probably should have placed the two videos I was comparing together in the same post for the sake of clarity.

I was comparing this strategy (which is indeed not very good!) with a much more direct 17 second break&burn demo I recorded tonight. Obviously, 17 seconds is a better outcome than 12 minutes! The point is to illustrate just how much of a difference understanding and properly handling the mechanics of a fight like this can make!

I dont think the people complaining in this thread are interested in finding good strategies. They're here to play a the story as if it were a youtube video. I posted a video earlier in the thread of me only using auto attacks and my CC skills. The execution level of auto attacking is much lower and doable by 99% of players. Yet running around in a circle is considered "veteran strategies". Some people just don't want to be helped.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I went ahead and did a demo of this fight. I think it's a good example of a fight where proper attention to the breakbar mechanic and high damage make a sometimes tricky fight much easier. I am actually using dire gear here, too. So don't think you need to run some sort of full berserker power burst build to pull this off. The time between breakbars is quite long. I wasn't able to tell because the boss didn't last long enough, but I think we're talking 20-30 second range here. You have plenty of time to burn this guy while he does nothing much to you. Just be ready on that CC at the start and take him down!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:This player succeeds and is not really in much danger. So this strategy will safely get the job done. However, they spend a lot of time not dealing damage to the boss in order to bypass this mechanic. As you can see, every time the boss succeeds in draining life it's a significant setback, prolonging the fight and forcing the player to deal with even more life drain attacks.

Again, this is why experienced players often recommend high damage builds for open world/story content. Playing too defensively can make an easy fight into a bit of a nightmare!

Most of that isn't really true except for people recommending high damage builds. That is a way to bypass but not the only way. It is probably one of the worst ways since it wastes so much time and involves making it impossible to see what the boss is doing. The reason it took so long is not because of a low damage build it is because of a bad strategy.

Oh, I agree 100%. I probably should have placed the two videos I was comparing together in the same post for the sake of clarity.

I was comparing this strategy (which is indeed not very good!) with a much more direct 17 second break&burn demo I recorded tonight. Obviously, 17 seconds is a better outcome than 12 minutes! The point is to illustrate just how much of a difference understanding and properly handling the mechanics of a fight like this can make!

I dont think the people complaining in this thread are interested in finding good strategies. They're here to play a the story as if it were a youtube video. I posted a video earlier in the thread of me only using auto attacks and my CC skills. The execution level of auto attacking is much lower and doable by 99% of players. Yet running around in a circle is considered "veteran strategies". Some people just don't want to be helped.

It's easy to find videos like that 12 minute solo using LoS/terrain bug strategies. There are bunches like it in the search results. It's actually difficult to find videos of players doing this fight "correctly" by utilizing the breakbar mechanic to prevent the attack and then going hard on damage between breakbars.

Perhaps it's that experienced players don't care about "trivial" fights like this and thus don't typically produce video of this sort of encounter? But it would be easy to look for help on the internet and end up with a terrible strategy that will prolong this fight and make it much more difficult.

@Calvsie.3675 said:My big gripe with eater of souls is the lack of ability to play it effectively in a group. My wife and I co-op through the story and god its boring being a mote.

The mote actually gets helpful skills, doesn't it? I only did it once, but I think it can CC the breakbar for you, which is about the most helpful thing you could do in this fight!

@Calvsie.3675 said:My big gripe with eater of souls is the lack of ability to play it effectively in a group. My wife and I co-op through the story and god its boring being a mote.

The mote actually gets helpful skills, doesn't it? I only did it once, but I think it can CC the breakbar for you, which is about the most helpful thing you could do in this fight!

You get a near-useless Might channel, 1s Fear + some Vuln on a reasonable CD, and a big heal that costs endurance or something. The main challenge is that your Fear has a range of 600 and you are very squishy, so it's quite possible to go in for the CC and just get smushed by the big guy instead.

It's easy to find videos like that 12 minute solo using LoS/terrain bug strategies. There are bunches like it in the search results. It's actually difficult to find videos of players doing this fight "correctly" by utilizing the breakbar mechanic to prevent the attack and then going hard on damage between breakbars.

Perhaps it's that experienced players don't care about "trivial" fights like this and thus don't typically produce video of this sort of encounter? But it would be easy to look for help on the internet and end up with a terrible strategy that will prolong this fight and make it much more difficult.

The video I posted was 2 min long. There's 0 execution difficulty with the strategy I used. I even did it in cheap gear. Watching that 12 minute video of someone making a simple task infinitely harder for themselves is mind boggling.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

The video I posted was 2 min long. There's 0 execution difficulty with the strategy I used. I even did it in cheap gear. Watching that 12 minute video of someone making a simple task infinitely harder for themselves is mind boggling.

I think the insight regarding circle strafing the boss was helpful, as is demonstrating that you can literally do this just auto attacking. No need to kite around and try to bug the boss out like some of these guides suggest.

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:Wow is this still going on? I stopped reading & pretty much stopped playing regularly since some of the nasties weighed in. I haven't bothered trying that instance again, I am looking for another game to invest my time and money in for the time being.

just so that i can understand, what is it exactly that you want done? Do you want someone to help you with the instance? Do you need help with your buildcraft? Or something else?

@Raizel.1839 said:You must really be poor in playing gw2 if it's taking 3+ attempts to kill that...

It's the first story mission that's so much more difficult without bar breaking that this could be the first experience a player has with bar breaking.

I know I would attempt something a few times (adjusting as I felt appropriate) before running off to find a guide. That failure helps you learn.

Goodness knows I did fail it a number of times, probably more than 3, before I completed it. I read about the bar break but as this fight was my first one, my timing was way off and this was before it was nerfed so the window was shorter to do the break in. So I said screw it and did it the long way.

I lucked out to some extent as I had spare gear from an old build in my inventory as well so I could swap out to change build since we couldn't access our inventory directly.

And I'm not really poor in playing GW2.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:Also, as noted previously, the video showing auto attacks while circle strafing seemed useful. It's a generally good melee strategy to stay in motion, but it's not often talked about.

Eh? Most things I've seen talking about combat does recommend against standing still which is functionally the same although I haven't looked at any recently but it's one of those frequently mentioned things along with the likes of "don't use keyboard turning", "don't rely on clicking skills", "melee assist is awful", "don't stand in aoe", "use your dodge"

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:I am not asking for easy content.But this instance you have to whittle ole Balthy down to 20% first.Then you face the spongemonster that sucks your soul.You can't access your inventory to do anything either.From a design perspective it could be better for those of us who maybe don't have all the madskills or ascended gear or minions or pets or stealth orwhatever may help out.I could ask for help if I fail again or I could rage quit.To me, that is the kind of design that needs to be looked at more closely in the future?Or not.

just my noob after many years but still playing opinion

Harder bosses are fun, I'm sorry that you don't enjoy it

@Dante.1508 said:

Did you watch the video Shikaru.7618 linked?even missed 1 of the cc breaks and was not insta killed at all, just had to turn and press w to stay away from boss

I never said a veteran can't pass it, i even passed it, i was explaining what it does and why its annoying. aren't you a raider anyway?

Weird that you feel that way, I usually favor my spellbreaker for bounties and dailies.. I agree that some bosses are not melee friendly.

Raiders are far and above the general population of casual gamers, so a boss like that is run of the mill to you, to someone like me a person who doesn't raid ever its very hard, annoyingly so.I just did this the other day and i still died three times before i realized what i had to do.. Its why this thread spoke to me as such. It tethers you drags you in damaging you the whole time then insta kills you before you can even think i need to CC this twerp.. then its downed and dead..As i said its not fun for many.

I'm sorry but if you think having to attempt a boss 3 times is too much then that's just your opinion. Most people enjoy a small challenge

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:Wow is this still going on? I stopped reading & pretty much stopped playing regularly since some of the nasties weighed in. I haven't bothered trying that instance again, I am looking for another game to invest my time and money in for the time being.

I see a lot of people trying to help and explain things. When you create a post like this, expect people to continue on the discussion as others might also benefit from it. That's how forums work. Also you have made two posts disparaging others here. When I run into a tough fight I try to learn the mechanics and try new things and adapt either on my own or after asking for tips from other people. It's what I expect from a fun game, a little challenge every now and then.

I got owned the first time I did this pre-fix as a melee because it kept healing and I remember a blink-and-you-miss-it break bar. I just kept at it and adjusted until I beat it. It's much more forgiving now since the change which is good because although I love challenging boss fights, I do think the story should be accessible to most. I just wish we had more challenge mote options for story fights.

@coso.9173 said:Weirdly enough I didn't had any issues with my glass cannon daredevil when I did it. No more than other bosses.I've had much more problems with Caudecus battle for example.

There is nothing weird about it. As long as you can either avoid the life steal or out damage it then it is a guaranteed success.

The actual undefeatable boss in this story segment would be the disconnect during cutscene bug. :/

@TrOtskY.5927 said:

I'm sorry but if you think having to attempt a boss 3 times is too much then that's just your opinion. Most people enjoy a small challenge

No they don't some do, many others do not especially in gaming after a long day at work.. More stress on top of Stress is bad when gaming is designed as an entertainment.

@Seera.5916 said:

So what is your suggestion? Story bosses should never have any mechanic? Can be defeated just by autoattacking without moving? How much of the game's mechanics should be thrown away for story encounters?

Eater of Souls is by no means perfect when it comes to design but it also has a perfectly reasonable "obvious" option of running away while it is trying to drain your health. As long as you can prevent it from healing through the life steal nothing else really matters.

It does have a pull but you can still run away after that.It also has a launch you but that is what stun breaks are for.

My suggestion is keep these mechanics in Raids and Fractals, they aren't needed in a story where 90% of customers are playing to watch a story and enjoying the open world.. Very very different game modes..

I'm one of those players who primarily plays for the story and I hope they continue to put in mechanics like this into story missions. If I wanted to watch a story, I'd put on a movie or a tv show or get a book.

I do hope they don't make any more that are as long as this mission is so that players can regroup without having to repeat a long mission. Which is what I think half the problem is with this mission. The first half is a long mission and the first time through it, you don't know that it's a forced you lose mission. So a player who is not the best enters it, that first half takes forever and a day and then get to Eater of Souls... I pity the ones that then got a disconnect at the end as that mission tends to be one of the ones that disconnects more often than others.

Personally, I'm kind of sad he got nerfed. I understand the reasoning and I don't disagree on the nerf it got. I just happened to beat him before his nerf and it took some time. Now the next time I go in, I won't be able to know if me killing him quicker is due to my skills increasing or the nerf.

Then you are not a person that plays for story sorry, you are considered hardcore.

@Raizel.1839 said:You must really be poor in playing gw2 if it's taking 3+ attempts to kill that...Because when the boss attacks me i must wait three to six seconds after pressing the dodge or CC button while the network crosses the pacific ocean twice before my character moves or attacks.. In that time my character has been killed. Its why devs should make content for the world not only USA and EU.@Khisanth.2948 said:

What i suggest is they should be like Tyria.. the original content was great as it was.

@Dante.1508 said:

I'm one of those players who primarily plays for the story and I hope they continue to put in mechanics like this into story missions. If I wanted to watch a story, I'd put on a movie or a tv show or get a book.

I do hope they don't make any more that are as long as this mission is so that players can regroup without having to repeat a long mission. Which is what I think half the problem is with this mission. The first half is a long mission and the first time through it, you don't know that it's a forced you lose mission. So a player who is not the best enters it, that first half takes forever and a day and then get to Eater of Souls... I pity the ones that then got a disconnect at the end as that mission tends to be one of the ones that disconnects more often than others.

Personally, I'm kind of sad he got nerfed. I understand the reasoning and I don't disagree on the nerf it got. I just happened to beat him before his nerf and it took some time. Now the next time I go in, I won't be able to know if me killing him quicker is due to my skills increasing or the nerf.

Then you are not a person that plays for story sorry, you are considered hardcore.

You are not me. Don't speak for me. This isn't something that you can claim I'm lying about.

I play primarily for the story. I like a bit of a challenge.

It's a nice stress reliever to attempt something knowing it's going to be a bit of a challenge and overcoming it. I can pretend that whatever it is that I'm stressed at is the boss giving the challenge and take my frustrations out on digital pixels.

Eater of Souls at it's original state was at my max challenge level at the time I did it. If I hadn't beaten it when I did, I likely would have given up and tried again later.

I also don't see how what my primary reason for playing has anything to do with how hard core or not I am. And no where did I claim I was casual.

@BnooMaGoo.5690 said:

@Raizel.1839 said:You must really be poor in playing gw2 if it's taking 3+ attempts to kill that...

this kind of stuff makes these forums a bit of a joke, almost disparaging

That doesn't absolve you either for starting it. Toxicity begets toxicity unfortunately and it's uncalled for either way. There's some good tips in this thread for you and others to try out if you're struggling. If anyone is still having trouble and play on NA let me know and I can help out.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

@"BnooMaGoo.5690" said:I reread all the responses to this post just for the heckuvit.I also thought about deleting all of my comments including the topic itself by editing to nothingness.I pay to play this game but I don't pay to police these forums or make sure people treat my participation in them fairly through checks and balances, thumbs up or helpful points added or subtractions because someone got their feelings hurt.Getting badges or more stars beside my "name" is akin to a social credit system favoured by some governments (hello China) but not my cup of tea.They usually lead to little more than popularity contests on these forums as well as a skewed definition of what Arenanet themselves describe as "lively conversation".Seeing a video of someone easily beat something I have difficulty with along with their commentary on their opinion of my lacks or whatever isn't really helpful to me or does it address what I was talking aboutbut it might score points with the choir

No one cares about being popular here. Honestly if getting the answer literally handed to you in video form can't help you, then I'm not sure what will. You have not articulated in any fashion why the strategies provided by people in this thread are not useful. We are not here to agree with you. You presented an idea that is clearly way below the status quo for difficulty and are receiving the well expected disagreement.

seeing a video doesnt magically give you the same skills. and isnt the first thread about this fight either.some classes can literally do it without breaking a sweat, while others are almost impossible.this is obviously one of the worst STORY bosses in the entire universe

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"BnooMaGoo.5690" said:I reread all the responses to this post just for the heckuvit.I also thought about deleting all of my comments including the topic itself by editing to nothingness.I pay to play this game but I don't pay to police these forums or make sure people treat my participation in them fairly through checks and balances, thumbs up or helpful points added or subtractions because someone got their feelings hurt.Getting badges or more stars beside my "name" is akin to a social credit system favoured by some governments (hello China) but not my cup of tea.They usually lead to little more than popularity contests on these forums as well as a skewed definition of what Arenanet themselves describe as "lively conversation".Seeing a video of someone easily beat something I have difficulty with along with their commentary on their opinion of my lacks or whatever isn't really helpful to me or does it address what I was talking aboutbut it might score points with the choir

No one cares about being popular here. Honestly if getting the answer literally handed to you in video form can't help you, then I'm not sure what will. You have not articulated in any fashion why the strategies provided by people in this thread are not useful. We are not here to agree with you. You presented an idea that is clearly way below the status quo for difficulty and are receiving the well expected disagreement.

seeing a video doesnt magically give you the same skills. and isnt the first thread about this fight either.some classes can literally do it without breaking a sweat, while others are almost impossible.this is obviously one of the worst STORY bosses in the entire universe

There was no skill needed. I auto attacked for 90% of the video. It was also done while being severely undergeared on the exact same class the op was using.